Osama Bin Laden is dead

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:38 am
I'm confused. George W. Bush said it wasn't important whether we got Bin Laden or not. When did it become important again?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:41 am
@joefromchicago,
When he stopped being president. Anyway, do you think the ghost of Henry Cooper guided your special forces in? RIP Our 'Enry you will be missed
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:46 am
@izzythepush,
Who the hell is Henry Cooper?

Wait, don't bother answering that. I've already lost interest.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:52 am
@joefromchicago,
Henry Cooper is the first man to floor Cassius Clay then Mohammed Ali. If the bell hadn't gone Cooper would have won the match. Anyway Ricky Lambert's just scored. Come on my son.
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:00 am
@dadpad,
They attacked the United States because there were American troops in Saudi Arabia, which was an offense to their fundamentalist Sunni beliefs. I don't consider that a reason to justify the murder of thousands--do you?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:07 am
@Setanta,
That's probably why your not an Islamic terrorism. Justification is a subjective thing, what justifies something to someone is personal. What Bin Laden did was atrocious, but he obviously thought it was justified or he wouldn't have done it.

Anyway Nothing justifies staring at Liz's apple catchers
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:42 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I'm confused. George W. Bush said it wasn't important whether we got Bin Laden or not. When did it become important again?

Apparently when the intelligence services, perhaps using enhanced techniques, got a tip from a prisioner in Guantanamo - which the hapless Obama three years ago promised to close without delay - and the lead was recognized as important in Obama's enhanced assassination program in Afghanistan & Pakistan.
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:50 am
One of the most detailed accounts I've seen thus far:

http://nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/the-secret-team-that-killed-bin-laden-20110502

Excerpt:

Quote:
From Ghazi Air Base in Pakistan, the modified MH-60 helicopters made their way to the garrison suburb of Abbottabad, about 30 miles from the center of Islamabad. Aboard were Navy SEALs, flown across the border from Afghanistan, along with tactical signals, intelligence collectors, and navigators using highly classified hyperspectral imagers.

After bursts of fire over 40 minutes, 22 people were killed or captured. One of the dead was Osama bin Laden, done in by a double tap -- boom, boom -- to the left side of his face. His body was aboard the choppers that made the trip back. One had experienced mechanical failure and was destroyed by U.S. forces, military and White House officials tell National Journal.

Were it not for this high-value target, it might have been a routine mission for the specially trained and highly mythologized SEAL Team Six, officially called the Naval Special Warfare Development Group, but known even to the locals at their home base Dam Neck in Virginia as just DevGru.

This HVT was special, and the raids required practice, so they replicated the one-acre compound. Trial runs were held in early April.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:53 am
@georgeob1,
If that's true which I doubt, Guantanamo has recruited far more Islamic terrorists than it's ever caught. It also means America can no longer criticise anyone else for human rights abuses.
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:56 am
@izzythepush,
I saw that too, though I'd have to find back where -- but the tip about the courier's name (just his real name) came from someone in Gitmo four years ago (pre-Obama).

That tip proved to be very important but it was under Obama that they found him (about two years ago), traced him, and then carried out this raid.
Thomas

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:59 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Aint no party like a Penn ave party.
R
T

The Ground Zero Party last night wasn't so bad either. I haven't experienced such a scenery since Munich 1990, just after Germany had won the world championship in soccer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:00 am
@sozobe,
Here we go:

Quote:
Detainees at the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, had given the courier’s pseudonym to American interrogators and said that the man was a protégé of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

American intelligence officials said Sunday night that they finally learned the courier’s real name four years ago, but that it took another two years for them to learn the general region where he operated.

Still, it was not until August that they tracked him to the compound in Abbottabad, a medium-sized city about an hour’s drive north of Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/world/asia/02reconstruct-capture-osama-bin-laden.html

Thomas, you were there, eh? Tell us all about it.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:02 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

If that's true which I doubt, Guantanamo has recruited far more Islamic terrorists than it's ever caught. It also means America can no longer criticise anyone else for human rights abuses.

Where's your proof of that commonplace but superficial assertion? The fact is incidences of such terrorism have been reduced significantly since we took out their sanctuary in Afghanistan; imprisioned those we caprtured there; and started killing them where we could find them. The facts aren't with you.
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:06 am
By the way, that photo Butrflynet posted earlier is fake. Here's one article about it:

http://gizmodo.com/#!5797595/no-this-is-not-osamas-cadaver

Quote:

Quote:
Keep this in mind: Whenever the US government releases a photo of Bin Laden, it will be crystal clear and probably come with his dental records too. Until then, I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of these Photoshop jobs. Clearly, people need closure.

On the US releasing a photo, btw, CNN said this earlier:

Quote:
‎DNA matching is under way on samples from the body of the slain terrorist leader, the official said. There are photographs of the body with a gunshot wound to the side of the head that shows an individual who is not unrecognizable as bin Laden, the official said.

No decision has yet been made on whether to release the photographs and if so, when and how.

The DNA match has in fact been made (multiple sources, including):

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/live/bin_laden_wire/bin_laden_wire.html#22
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:11 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Apparently when the intelligence services, perhaps using enhanced techniques, got a tip from a prisioner in Guantanamo

You know that for sure? Obama said the intelligence came from "detainees." He didn't say that they were Guantanamo detainees.

But even if what you say is true, so what? That certainly doesn't answer my question.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:13 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Where's your proof of that commonplace but superficial assertion? The fact is incidences of such terrorism have been reduced significantly since we took out their sanctuary in Afghanistan; imprisioned those we caprtured there; and started killing them where we could find them. The facts aren't with you.

Correlation something something causation.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:13 am
@wayne,
Quote:
Whoa, that rocks.
Justice American style.

True dat, Wayne. The US is famous for committing all manner of crime that can accurately be described as Justice American style.

I wondered what a thread on this might bring and just a few posts in, ... .
BillRM

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:16 am
@JTT,
Tell that to the men and women who needed to jump out of a hundred stories building or be burn to death instead.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
Your memory of "our Enry" was clouded by a bit of the fog of your advanced age. Ali wasnt knocked down, but was rattled pretty good. Somehow his ring guys got him some time to get unrattled and then Clay went out and slashed up Enry's face so that the refs stopped the fight. This was repated several years later and Ali did it again .
SO "Enry is always affectionately known to the Allentown Pugilistic SOciety , as "the British Bleeder"
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:20 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Folks are gathering around the White House singing the national anthem.

Where is the emoticon that shows "an involuntary spasm of ineffectual vomiting"?