Osama Bin Laden is dead

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:34 am
@msolga,
I've had immediate fears too that things may get worse - especially with the conjunction of this event with the Gaddafi hit (or error). But my more optimistic self is winning in the meantime, though it's early yet to judge.

I was somewhat thrown by the tv program I watched last night, thrown because I'm not used to tv news in general anymore. I ended up watching msnbc online in the lead up to Obama's speech. Haven't seen Andrea Mitchell or Brian Williams in years, eh. They didn't bother me. But there were three (or more) other speakers.

Oddly, at least two of them seemed to talk with a manner of opening their mouths wide to be sure to be understood... making me think of 'talking heads'. One of the three was a woman talking about the psychological effects of this on Afghanistan and the taliban, and my reaction was that as an expert she was pretty one-sided, that she didn't seem to understand the taliban at all; didn't catch her name. One was Richard Engle, whom I haven't heard before, quite rah rah, understandable. Both of those people took a tact that this would elevate the morale of our fighting men so they can continue their fight. I am glad their mood would be elevated, but I would hope that this brings into more question re why are we staying in Afghanistan and so to accelerate bringing them home. The third guy was a pentagon rep, and I didn't have any particular twinges re what he said.

I guess my perplexity is that we have de facto made the taliban the enemy - or have we. Not that I'm for the taliban but I don't take it that they are why we have been there, exactly.

Further, are we going to hang around in both Iraq and Afghanistan basically as a presence behind the covert ops to get splinter al qaida groups? to mediate civil wars? to protect our investments? Are we in Afghanistan mainly because Pakistan has nukes?

Edits to add that I haven't read the thread's last five pages yet.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:34 am
@Ticomaya,
Thank you. I'm more concerned with what's going on at Home Park at the moment. Sorry for being so parochial, but football's not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:39 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Pakistan was not informed ahead of time.
(Some Pakistani police were used for elements but they didn't know
who the target was, and the Pakistani government was not informed.)
His spies probably woud have tipped him off. I suspect that the CIA knew that.
Laden got away too many times ALREADY.

David
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
     http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/steve_bell/2007/02/27/omar512.jpg

NEXT !
BillRM

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:42 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Thank you. I'm more concerned with what's going on at Home Park at the moment. Sorry for being so parochial, but football's not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that.

You are talking about that gay game that share the same name as real football I would assume?

The one that is so boring that the fans need to riot afterward to gain a little emotional release. Twisted Evil

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:43 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I'm also wondering (with considerable concern) about what the reaction to this news will be from the more aggressive fundamentalist Muslim leaders.

Not worth worrying about. What IS worth worrying about is the Soros/Obunga operation taking place over Libya. THAT has the potential to get a lot of Americans killed.
engineer

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Did u say the same thing on VE Day and VJ Day ??

A little before my time there Dave! I think VE Day and VJ Day are completely different. Those celebrated an end to a long and grueling war, the return of loved ones, and end to killing and destruction on a massive scale; truly something to celebrate. Today, we get some closure on the WTC/Pentagon attacks with the death of BL. I think taking a moment to reflect on where the last ten years have taken us is valuable. I understand those celebrating, but I think dancing in the streets is unseemly given that tomorrow there are still AQ terrorists doing the same thing they were yesterday.
dadpad

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:51 am
@engineer,
Some thought into why this man and his cronies attacked the US in the first place might also be justified.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:54 am
@BillRM,
Ask anyone anywhere in the world other than America whether they would like to watch premiership football or American football and you know what the answer would be. Everyone in the world calls it football. You're the only ones using the s word. It is the most beautiful game ever, that's why we have a world cup. Back in the 1980's when American football was shown on Channel 4 someone tried to explain it to me, but I couldn't be bothered. It was all stop go stop go. If you like that sort of thing fair enough, but you've probably got to be brought up to like it, like marmite with us. It bored the tits off me. Football never stops it's like a ballet. They're going to kick off in a minute and I am so Excited!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:57 am
@farmerman,
I didn't know you were aware of Steve Bell. You should check out his Royal Wedding mugs they're something else
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:58 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Football never stops it's like a ballet. They're going to kick off in a minute and I am so Excited!

With an average score of one or two goals during the whole game...........
msolga

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:58 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Not worth worrying about.

I'm not so sure about that.
Quote:
....For many years, the Sheikh (Bin Laden) had been isolated, his organisation disrupted not only by US kill teams and lethal drone attacks but also by general Muslim apathy and outright hostility to the organisation. For most of the victims are Muslim: not only Shia Muslims and Sunni moderates and seculars, but also bystanders who have committed the deadly sin of buying vegetables while one of those holy warriors decides to fight his battle and start his ascendance to the hereafter.

The killing of Bin Laden will give a new impetus to the jihadi movement that has suffered in the past few months as the aspirations of these young men have been fulfilled, not by the jihad, but by the street demonstrations led by unarmed men and women secularists and religious calling for social justice.

Local jihadi wars will continue, al-Qaida in Yemen will continue to attempt to bomb targets in the west, and the Taliban will not stop fighting in Afghanistan.

Taliban commander vows to avenge Bin Laden's death:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/02/taliban-avenge-bin-laden-death
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:07 am
@BillRM,
The score's not improtant. It's how the game flows. How can you call it gay? Association footballers don't wear all that bondage gear. Anyway first real chance, but it went over the bar. This is real end to end stuff
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're the only ones using the s word.
Not true . Oz calls it soccer .
Pamela Rosa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:14 am
Osama B. Laden has been dead for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnychOXj9Tg
Ionus

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:14 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Taliban commander vows to avenge Bin Laden's death
So he was just slacking before, but now he is going to go flat out.....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:19 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Quote:
Osama B. Laden has been dead for years.
Yep . I tried to tell them in my first post in this thread . I always wondered when they would release the info and how they would do it . Timing it for the Arab elections and helping President Obama ....couldnt get any better .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:21 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Some thought into why this man and his cronies attacked the US in the first place might also be justified.

Much thought has been given to that over the last ten years. Bin Laden's terrorism was not justified.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:23 am
@Ionus,
Sorry, You and Oz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:29 am
Sohaib Athar wrote:
Uh oh, now I'm the guy who liveblogged the Osama raid without knowing it.

http://twitter.com/#!/ReallyVirtual
0 Replies