Osama Bin Laden is dead

snood

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:35 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

It does seem weird that Bin Laden would hold back Al Qaeda's jihad resources to avenge his death (to the point that terrorist attacks seem limited to Iraq and Afghanistan - involving 12 year old boys with bombs strapped to them :-( - ) rather than continually targeting high profile western targets, for what? Five years now?

Has the spate of popular uprisings in the Arab world mollified, to a degree, the mounting frustrations in that part of the world about western backed dictatorial governments that originally inspired Bin Laden?

Hell, I hope its true that the lack of attacks over the last 10 years means we gained serious ground as far as prevention. I just thought everyone was now going to speculate about what kinds of terrible things might happen, so I thought I'd join in the prognostication of doom.
msolga

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:39 am
@snood,
Quote:
I was simply sharing something I had heard amongst all the babbling by all the many reporters this evening. No, I don't have a link. Is there some rule we need a link before we can join in the speculating?

No, there isn't any "rule".
It just helps, if a person makes a statement about something about "terror cells" (which can be quite alarming to many people), that they have something more to back it up than mere speculation.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:42 am
@snood,
Quote:
ell, I hope its true that the lack of attacks over the last 10 years means we gained serious ground as far as prevention. I just thought everyone was now going to speculate about what kinds of terrible things might happen, so I thought I'd join in the prognostication of doom.
It certainly appears that Bin Laden has been largely retired for some time, that todays events are more like getting Eichmann than getting the Unibomber.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:45 am
WARNING! Picture of dead Osama Bin Laden. DO NOT OPEN if you do not want to see it, it is graphic.
According to Times of Malta site, Pakistani television stations have broadcast what they described as unconfirmed images of Osama bin Laden's bloodied face after the United States said he had been killed.

Edit [Moderator]: URL converted to text per request

This is the text with the image:

Quote:
Pakistani television stations have broadcast what they described as unconfirmed images of Osama bin Laden's bloodied face after the United States said he had been killed.

"The picture of Osama bin Laden's dead body has been released. It is unverified," said the commentator on Pakistan's largest TV network, Geo.

Other channels also showed the image of a face, which sported a bushy and black beard without any visible traces of the white or grey detected in the most recent video footage of bin Laden when he was alive.

There were extensive blood stains on the forehead and left temple. The right eye was shut but the whites of the left eye were visible.

The hair was mangled and the mouth was slightly open with teeth showing.

hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:50 am
@snood,
Hi Snood - wasn't arguing with you, and join you on the prognostication - I hope I'm right, but I haven't convinced myself at all. Terrorism only takes one nutjob, not an international organisation. There could be retaliation from Bin Laden fans who've never done more than buy Al Qaeda lottery tickets in the past.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:53 am
@hawkeye10,
I hope so Hawk. But single nutjobs might still be 'inspired', particularly if they've just lost a job, wife's burned the dinner, and the football team lost.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

@msolga,
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkjsa0vvlq1qzu2tdo1_400.gif
Ceili

Osama's progression, from party animal to crazed killer.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/special+place+hereafter+Laden+leaves+behind+terrorist+legacy/4707542/story.html
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:54 am
@Butrflynet,
Couldn't bring myself to do the ghoulish click, but it does raise an interesting point - how do they verify that it is Bin Laden?
msolga

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:56 am
@Butrflynet,
That reminds me of the famous photograph of Che Guevara, as proof of death of the revolutionary.
http://www.executedtoday.com/images/Che_Guevara_executed.jpg
Though Che Guevara's death photograph was much more serene ... which makes me wonder if it was doctored. Death by such methods is surely not pretty.
So I wonder what Osama Bin Laden's supporters are supposed to make of his death photograph?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:59 am
Can't help thinking about the 72 virgins.
msolga

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:01 am
@Jeremiah,
Yes, it does indeed sound like he's dead, Jeremiah.
I haven't disputed that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:02 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Can't help thinking about the 72 virgins.

Why? Smile
I'd suspect that they were the least of his concerns
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:05 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Couldn't bring myself to do the ghoulish click, but it does raise an interesting point - how do they verify that it is Bin Laden?
Genetics I bet, it is well known that some family members had turned against him and were cooperating with the Americans, comparing the DNA from the body to the known Bin Laden family DNA will be the final test. In the mean time they have marks, and some known dental records.
hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:09 am
@hawkeye10,
Hmm, I think I'd trust dental records slightly more than DNA - no guarantees that family members are actually family members, if you know what I mean...
hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:11 am
@msolga,
Just thinking about that standard line about islamic martyrs getting preferential treatment in heaven - not being serious at all just in thoughtsparking mode.
msolga

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:12 am
@hingehead,
Ah.
OK then.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:21 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Hmm, I think I'd trust dental records slightly more than DNA - no guarantees that family members are actually family members, if you know what I mean...
Nobody knows about work that has been done over the last years. I'd be curious to know what is the most recent that they have.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:22 am
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/2011/05/20115255840441224.html

Quote:
What next after bin Laden death?
Osama bin Laden's death is politically momentous for the US, but may not sound death knell for al-Qaeda.
Gregg Carlstrom Last Modified: 02 May 2011 06:30

Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s death is politically momentous for US president Barack Obama - witness the cheering crowds which gathered outside the White House even before his speech on Sunday night.

Its impact on al-Qaeda, though, is harder to measure.

Peter Bergen, an American journalist, said on CNN that bin Laden’s death marked “the end of the war on terror". But many other analysts would disagree: Al-Qaeda, after all, is a very different organisation in 2011 than in 2001, with a new cadre of leaders and a wider range of affiliate groups.

Analysts have long debated the extent to which bin Laden - and his deputy, Egyptian-born Ayman al-Zawahiri - direct al-Qaeda’s operations. The two men have largely been in hiding since September 11, 2001, attacks on the US, leaving their subordinates to handle many of the group’s day-to-day operations. Affiliate groups, like al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, already operate with relatively little direction from the “leadership” on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

“It is often assumed that their principal roles, particularly in bin Laden’s case, are as propaganda leaders or even mere figureheads,” said Barbara Sude, a former CIA al-Qaeda analyst, in a policy paper released last year.

Indeed, a series of younger leaders - some of them now deceased - emerged to play leading roles in the group over the past few years, broadening its leadership. They include Abu al-Yazid; Abu Yahya al-Libi; and Atiyah abd al-Rahman.

If bin Laden is only a figurehead, then one could argue that he has already served his purpose: His ideology and strategy has permeated throughout al-Qaeda, both the central organisation in Afghanistan and Pakistan and its affiliate groups elsewhere.

“This is an enormous blow to the jihadi network in multiple ways, but it does not kill al-Qaeda,” said Daveed Gartenstein-Ross, director of the Centre for the Study of Terrorist Radicalisation at the Washington-based Foundation for the Defense of Democracies. “The jihadi group possesses other leaders who can step in to serve as figureheads for the group.”

Bin Laden’s death, in other words - while symbolically significant - may mean little for al-Qaeda’s capabilities.

'Catastrophic if it is authentic'

Reaction from al-Qaeda and its sympathisers has so far been muted. The group’s propaganda wing has not yet issued a video tribute to bin Laden, nor has it commented on the reports of his death.

On internet forums sympathetic to al-Qaeda, a majority of commentators seem shocked by the reports of bin Laden’s death.

In the past, when US officials announced the death of high-ranking al-Qaeda members, commentators often rejected those reports out of hand. But the latest announcement by Obama, on the other hand, seems to be viewed as somewhat more credible.

“If it is true then we must thank Allah that America was not able to capture him alive,” one commentator wrote. “Else they would be humiliating him like Saddam Hussein.”

“God willing, news is not true. Catastrophic if it is authentic,” another wrote.

The US state department issued a worldwide travel alert for American citizens, and the US military increased its “force protection” level, which measures threats to military bases. A senior administration official said there were no specific threats reported, though.

'No other country was informed'

One pressing question is what bin Laden’s death means for the already strained US-Pakistani relationship. The two countries have clashed publicly in recent months over US drone strikes in northwest Pakistan and over the case of Raymond Davis, the CIA contractor arrested for murder in Lahore and then released after “blood money” was paid to the families of his victims.

Obama had in the past praised the Pakistani government for its co-operation in the hunt for bin Laden. And some officials in the ISI, Pakistan’s spy agency, reportedly played a role in his eventual killing, according to media reports.

But the White House quickly rejected that claim: In a conference call on Sunday night, a senior administration official told reporters that Pakistan was not briefed in advance on the operation which led to bin Laden’s death.

“An operation like this has the utmost operational security attached to it,” the official said. “No other country was informed, and a small circle of people within the United States knew about it.”

Obama, in offering praise for Pakistan, also seemed to admonish the country’s leadership, calling it “essential that Pakistan continue to join us in the fight against al-Qaeda". Other administration officials went further, describing bin Laden’s long hideout in Pakistan as a cause for concern and a potential source of friction in the relationship.

“We are very concerned about the situation in Pakistan… but this is something we need to work with the Pakistani government on,” a senior official said.

Also unclear is whether bin Laden’s death will have any impact on the war in Afghanistan, now in its tenth year. Obama did not mention any changes to strategy during his speech; bin Laden was killed in Pakistan, not Afghanistan; and US officials admit that only a handful of al-Qaeda members remain in Afghanistan.

In other words, the war - started to punish the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks - may well outlast the architect of those attacks.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:25 am
http://www.zeenews.com/news703595.html

Quote:
Osama's six children, two wives held in Pakistan
Updated on Monday, May 02, 2011, 10:59
Tags: Osama bin Laden, Pakistan, Al Qaeda

Islamabad: Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's six children and two wives have been arrested in Pakistan, a media report said.

Osama bin Laden was killed on Monday in a security operation in Pakistan's Abbotabad city, less than 100 km from the Pakistan capital.

Sources said Osama's six children, two wives and four close friends were arrested during a search operation launched early Monday morning by the Pakistani forces in a mountainous area located some 60 km north of Pakistan's capital Islamabad, Xinhua quoted Dunya TV as saying.