Osama Bin Laden is dead

panzade

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:10 pm
@JTT,
1947 Foreign Office describes Middle East oil in secret document as ‘a vital prize for any power interested in world influence or domination’.

1948 Britain declares ‘emergency’ in Malaya and begins 12-year war to defeat rebels, who are mainly marginalised Chinese. Britain secretly describes war as ‘in defence of [the] rubber industry’ and engages in widespread bombing, draconian police measures and ‘resettlement’ of hundreds of thousands of people in fortified ‘new villages’.

1951 June: Attlee government begins covert plan to overthrow Iranian prime minister Musaddiq following the latter’s nationalisation of oil operations.

1952 October: Britain declares state of emergency in colony of Kenya. British forces conduct human rights atrocities, establish Nazi-style concentration camps and ‘resettle’ hundreds of thousands of people in ‘protected villages’. Around 150,000 Africans die.

1953 August: Musaddiq government in Iran overthrown in MI6/CIA-organised coup. Shah installed in power as per London’s and Washington’s plans.

1953 October: Britain conducts military intervention in British Guiana to overthrow democratically elected government.

1954 July: US overthrows Guatemalan government of Jacobo Arbenz and US-backed junta seizes power. Britain aids US position at UN.

1956 October: Britain invades Egypt to remove nationalist president Nasser, eventually being forced to withdraw due to US and financial pressure. MI6 plans and carries out several assassination attempts against Nasser.

1957 July: Britain begins military intervention in Oman in support of extremely repressive regime against rebellion by Omani Liberation Army. SAS fights covert war and RAF conducts wide-spread bombing of villages and strongholds, defeating rebels by 1959.

1958 July: Britain conducts military intervention in Jordan, ostensibly to protect regime from alleged Egyptian-backed coup. Declassified documents suggest, however, that British planners fabricated the coup scenario to justify intervention.

1961 Death of UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld in mysterious plane crash while trying to secure peace in Congo. Recent evidence has emerged of possible MI5 involvement.

1961 US begins major intervention in Vietnam. As US atrocities mount in the war that follows, Britain secretly provides US with military intelligence, arms and covert SAS deployments, along with diplomatic support.

1961 July: Britain conducts military intervention in Kuwait, ostensibly to defend the country from imminent Iraqi invasion. Declassified documents suggest, however, that British planners fabricated the threat to justify intervention.

1962 MI6 and SAS begin covert operation in North Yemen that eventually involves providing arms, funding and logistical support to royalist rebels in dirty war against pro-Egyptian republican forces. Around 200,000 die in the war.

1964 Britain begins second war in support of Oman regime, against the Popular Front for the Liberation of the Occupied Arabian Gulf, fought mainly covertly by the SAS. The ‘Dhofar Rebellion’ is defeated by 1975.

1965 October: Bloodbath in Indonesia begins as army moves against supporters of Indonesian Communist Party, reaching around a million deaths. Declassified documents show Britain aids the Indonesian army in conducting the slaughter through covert operations and secret messages of support.

1968 Britain begins illegal and secret removal of 1,500 population of Chagos islands, including Diego Garcia, following agreement to lease islands to US. Whitehall conspiracy begins, contending there are no indigenous inhabitants.

1970 July: British coup in Oman overthrows Sultan and installs his son. Sultan Qaboos remains in power today.

1975 December: Indonesia invades East Timor, leading to 200,000 deaths. In secret cable, British ambassador in Jakarta says Indonesia ‘should absorb the territory as soon and as unobtrusively as possible’ and that Britain ‘should avoid taking sides against the Indonesian government’.

1980 MI6 begins largest postwar covert operation in Afghanistan to train mojahidin groups fighting the Soviet occupation.

1981 US begins covert intervention against Nicaragua, training contra rebels in sabotage and terrorist operations. Britain provides strong diplomatic support to US and nod and wink to ‘security’ company, KMS, to train and recruit contra guerillas and conduct gun-running operations.

1983 October: US invades Grenada. British government privately furious at US failure to consult in invasion of Commonwealth country, but publicly backs intervention.

1985 First contract with Saudi Arabia signed in massive Al Yamamah arms deal. With second deal in 1988, overall worth is around £50 billion.

1986 Spring: MI6 begins supplying Afghan mojahidin groups with ‘Blowpipe’ shoulder-launched missiles, some of which are used to shoot down passenger airliners.

1986 April: US conducts air raids on Libya. Britain allows US use of British air bases and provides strong public support.

1989 December: US invades Panama. Britain is only major state to unstintingly support US.

1991 January: US, Britain and coalition begin massive bombing campaign against Iraq to force withdrawal from Kuwait following its invasion the previous August.

1991 April: Britain and US establish ‘no fly zones’ in northern and southern Iraq. They begin covert, permanent war of bombing in the zones.

1991 November: Indonesian forces massacre hundreds of peaceful demonstrators in Dili, East Timor. Britain continues arms exports and business as usual.

1992 MI6 draws up plans to assassinate Yugoslav president Milosevic, according to an MI6 official. These plans are apparently not carried out.

1993 June: US conducts cruise missile attacks against Iraq. Britain provides political support.

1994 April: Rwanda genocide begins, quickly killing a million people. Britain effectively aids the slaughter by helping to reduce UN force that could have prevented the killings, in helping to delay other plans for intervention and in resisting use of the term ‘genocide’ which would have obligated the international community to act.

1996 MoD quietly sends first of several training teams to assist Saudi Arabia in ‘internal security’ as part of wider support to Saudi Arabian National Guard, the force that protects the ruling family.

1996 February: Assassination and coup attempt against Libya’s Colonel Qadafi with, according to former MI5 officer David Shayler, MI6 funds and backing.

1996 April: British-supplied Scorpion light tanks used in Indonesia to repress demonstrators. It is the first of eight known occasions in 1996-2000 that British armoured cars are used for internal repression. Blair government continues arms to Indonesia.

1996 September: US conducts cruise missile attacks against Iraq. Britain provides political support.

1997 February: Labour leader Tony Blair reassures BAE Systems, Britain’s largest arms company, that ‘winning exports is vital to the long term success of Britain’s defence industry’.

1998 August: US launches cruise missile attacks against Al Qaida training camps in Afghanistan and a pharmaceutical factory in Sudan. Britain provides strong political support.

1998 December: US and Britain begin four-day heavy bombing campaign against Iraq, followed by weeks-long secret escalation of bombing in ‘no fly zones’.

1999 March: Britain and NATO begin bombing campaign against Milosevic’s Yugoslavia over Kosovo. The humanitarian catastrophe that Western leaders claim they are preventing is in reality precipitated by NATO bombing.

1999 April: Former members of Kenyan Mau Mau movement announce they are suing British government for human rights atrocities committed in 1950s.

1999 August/September: Around 5,000 are killed in East Timor and 500,000 forced to flee from Indonesian-backed terror around the vote for independence. Britain continues arms sales to Jakarta and finally agrees only to delay not stop them, while inviting Indonesia to an arms fair in Britain. Blair government tries to take credit for stopping Indonesian violence by helping to establish UN peace enforcement mission.

1999 October: Chinese premier Jiang Zemin visits Britain. Blair government refuses to raise human rights issues publicly, while police deny protesters the right to peaceful assembly and illegally seize Tibetan flags.

2000 January: Chinese defence minister, General Chi Haotian, who commanded the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, visits Britain to explore ‘military cooperation’, showing London’s apparent defiance of EU arms embargo on China.

2000 February: As Russian forces ferociously bomb the Chechnyan capital, Grozny, reducing the city to rubble, Foreign Secretary Robin Cook says he ‘understood’ Russia’s problems in Chechnya.

2000 July: British national Ian Henderson resigns as adviser to Bahraini government after career as head of repressive internal security service.

2000 November: High Court rules against government that Chagos islanders be allowed to return to some of their homeland islands, but not Diego Garcia.

2001 British arms exports reach £5 billion for 2001.

2001 February: US/British airstrikes against Iraq in response to alleged threats to aircraft in ‘no fly zones’.

2001 August: US and Britain secretly step up bombing campaign in ‘no fly zones’ in Iraq.

2001 October: US and Britain begin massive bombing campaign against Al Qaida and Taliban regime in Afghanistan following terrorist attacks of September 11th. Civilian deaths in the war outnumber those killed on September 11th.

2001 November: At the World Trade Organisation summit in Qatar, Britain with EU allies tries to force ‘new issues’ on to the WTO’s negotiating agenda in face of opposition from developing countries. The latter remain united and the decision is delayed for two years.

2002 Foreign Office website continues to lie that there are ‘no indigenous inhabitants’ of the Chagos islands, while Foreign Office continues in effect to block islanders’ return.

2002 August: With full-scale war against Iraq appearing imminent, US and Britain secretly step up bombing campaign in ‘no fly zones’.

2002 October: In midst of continuing Russian atrocities in Chechnya, Tony Blair says ‘it is important to understand the Russian perspective’.

2003 March: After months of build-up, US and Britain launch war against Iraq, discarding the UN weapons inspection process and bypassing the UN Security Council.

That's only since 1947...I'll be back next week with the list going back to the 16th century
JTT

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:26 pm
@panzade,
Good work, Pan. Keep it up.
panzade

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:32 pm
@JTT,
Thanks JT. I sit at the masters feet

edit: oops> master's
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:39 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
That's only since 1947...I'll be back next week with the list going back to the 16th century

Then JTT can combine the two lists and use them as his sig line!!! (Save him a lot of typing).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 09:40 pm
@panzade,
Pats Grasshopper on the head
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 09:24 am
New action hero doll RambObama

http://4.images.theweek.com/img/dir_0060/30471_article_full.jpg?42
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 04:58 pm
http://911blogger.com/news/2011-05-09/noam-chomsky-my-reaction-osama-bin-ladens-death

Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden's Death

By Noam Chomsky
May 7, 2011

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush's compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic.

It's increasingly clear that the operation was a planned assassination, multiply violating elementary norms of international law. There appears to have been no attempt to apprehend the unarmed victim, as presumably could have been done by 80 commandos facing virtually no opposition - except, they claim, from his wife, who lunged towards them.

In societies that profess some respect for law, suspects are apprehended and brought to fair trial. I stress "suspects." In April 2002, the head of the FBI, Robert Mueller, informed the press that after the most intensive investigation in history, the FBI could say no more than that it "believed" that the plot was hatched in Afghanistan, though implemented in the UAE and Germany. What they only believed in April 2002, they obviously didn't know 8 months earlier, when Washington dismissed tentative offers by the Taliban (how serious, we do not know, because they were instantly dismissed) to extradite bin Laden if they were presented with evidence - which, as we soon learned, Washington didn't have. Thus Obama was simply lying when he said, in his White House statement, that "we quickly learned that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by al Qaeda."

Nothing serious has been provided since. There is much talk of bin Laden's "confession," but that is rather like my confession that I won the Boston Marathon. He boasted of what he regarded as a great achievement.

There is also much media discussion of Washington's anger that Pakistan didn't turn over bin Laden, though surely elements of the military and security forces were aware of his presence in Abbottabad. Less is said about Pakistani anger that the US invaded their territory to carry out a political assassination. Anti-American fervor is already very high in Pakistan, and these events are likely to exacerbate it. The decision to dump the body at sea is already, predictably, provoking both anger and skepticism in much of the Muslim world.

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush's compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic. Uncontroversially, his crimes vastly exceed bin Laden's, and he is not a "suspect" but uncontroversially the "decider" who gave the orders to commit the "supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole" (quoting the Nuremberg Tribunal) for which Nazi criminals were hanged: the hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, destruction of much of the country, the bitter sectarian conflict that has now spread to the rest of the region.

There's more to say about [Cuban airline bomber Orlando] Bosch, who just died peacefully in Florida, including reference to the "Bush doctrine" that societies that harbor terrorists are as guilty as the terrorists themselves and should be treated accordingly. No one seemed to notice that Bush was calling for invasion and destruction of the US and murder of its criminal president.

Same with the name, Operation Geronimo. The imperial mentality is so profound, throughout western society, that no one can perceive that they are glorifying bin Laden by identifying him with courageous resistance against genocidal invaders. It's like naming our murder weapons after victims of our crimes: Apache, Tomahawk ... It's as if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes "Jew" and "Gypsy."

There is much more to say, but even the most obvious and elementary facts should provide us with a good deal to think about.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 11:33 pm
@panzade,
Goodness Pan.

Do you actually have the temerity to suggest that Great Britain is a greater blight on the world than the US?

Forgive me if I missed it, but I think you left out the atrocities committed in Kenya during the Mau Mau rebellion.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 02:34 am
@panzade,
Your attention to detail reminds me of Tony Benn, that's just the sort of meticulously researched answer he comes out with when challenged in interviews. It's very important to put the truth out there no matter how unsavoury it is. The only thing I'd add is that Britain stopped being quite so unilateralist following the Suez crisis.

Our successive prime ministers make such a big deal of the 'special relationship' between Britain and the USA. I think it's a bit unseemly, like wanting to sit next to the richest kid in class. After Suez France decided to focus more on Europe, we decided to be America's lackey. I think France made the right choice, for all the puffing and blowing of our successive prime ministers, the only thing the special relationship has given us is the terrorist attacks of 7/7.

I've just noticed when reading over stuff that I've used the same sort of vocabulary in my replies to Malvolio. That's the problem with being a sarky bastard, no matter what you say it comes across as ironic. Maybe I need some acronym like LOL, but meaning the exact opposite to put at the end of my postings to show I'm being serious. Truth is what's important, you can tell by looking at Finn's post he's trying to set up a spat between us on petty nationalistic grounds. That won't work because I'm an internationalist.
BillRM

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:51 am
@izzythepush,
Lord so you wish your nation to be more like France a nation that is living in a past that never even existed except for a decade or so under Napoleon.

France who is playing second to the real power in the EU Germany.

Oh as far as your home growth terrorists attacks I would suggest you start blaming yourselves and not your relationship with the US for allowing a large Muslin community to be set up and then treating them like dirt.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 04:39 am
@BillRM,
I do, I would rather that we were more involved in a 'United States of Europe,' than we become the 51st state of America. As for 7/7, the terrorists claimed that it was the war in Iraq that caused them to blow themselves up more than anything else. If Blair had had the backbone to stand up to Bush, and listen to public opinion which was overwhelmingly against the Iraq war we'd be better off.

The main beneficiary of the war in Iraq was the theocracy of Iran.
roger

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 04:46 am
@izzythepush,
The backbone to follow public opinion. I'll have to think about that.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 04:57 am
@roger,
It's more a question of doind what you promised to do in an election. Blair was voted in on a landslide twice because people thought he would not slavishly follow America like Thatcher did. It is Iraq that has defined his premiership more than anything else. I think he would rather be remembered for Sierra Leone, Kosovo, or the Northern Ireland peace process. It doesn't take backbone to ignore public opinion, you only have to look at the protests over student fees to see that. It takes backbone to stand up to America. We are a sovereign nation and should start acting like one. I imagine Alex Salmond's huge electoral landslide in Scotland had a lot to do with him standing up to America, one of the few of our politicians that actually has, than anything else.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:31 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
As for 7/7, the terrorists claimed that it was the war in Iraq that caused them to blow themselves up more than anything else.

Nonsense if those young men had feel they was respected members of your society with a future as British citizens blowing themselves up over Iraq would had likely not had happen.

France is currently going even further in outraging their Muslin community with their laws forbidding Muslin women from covering up.

Somehow when their Muslins begin blowing themselves up it will also be the responsibility of the US.
JTT

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:41 am
@roger,
You're being disingenuous, Roger, but what else is new? The backbone would be in not aligning oneself with war criminals, whether there is a supposed benefit or not. Everything that N Chomsky described is 100% accurate. Care to dispute that?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 08:56 am
@BillRM,
I never said it was the resposibility of the US. It was obviously the resposibility the people who blew themselves up in the first place. However, I think the supine attitude of our prime minister towards America had a lot to do with it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 08:58 am
@JTT,
I would, I don't think Chomsky ever confessed to winning the Boston marathon.
JTT

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 09:03 am
@izzythepush,
Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 09:07 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Our successive prime ministers make such a big deal of the 'special relationship' between Britain and the USA. I think it's a bit unseemly, like wanting to sit next to the richest kid in class.

Wow! I love that! Many Americans, as you surely must be aware, are Anglophiles. Why not? So many words and phrases sound better spoken in the original and not the extended version of English.

I've thought for some time that the American end of the special relationship was due to a combination of factors, including the fact that your English sounds better than ours; a sort of guilt over the Revolution, and a protective impulse based on the American role in WWII, which, probably would not have happened if Churchill hadn't held the American foot to the fire.

I also thought there were shades of Orwell in that relationship: Airstrip One.

A disclaimer: I am both an Anglophile and a Francophile.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 09:43 am
@plainoldme,
I don't think anyone over here had a problem with the special relationship during the days of Clinton and Blair. Together we seemed to be doing what was right. This all changed when Bush got into the White House. The Conservatives always make such a big deal about how ruining the special relationship would be harmful to our security and standing on the world stage. I think this goes back to the premiership of Harold Wilson who kept us out of Vietnam, and suffered as a consequence.

I think it was this fear that made Blair act in such a supine way. The leaked video footage of Bush saying, 'Yo Blair,' showed the way that Blair was increasingly looked upon as Bush's poodle. I've got lots of American friends, and overall I think you're a lovely bunch of people, but the special relationship should not be defined by the British Prime Minister doing everything the American President says. As a country we should be a friend, not a lackey.