@Builder,
Quote:
Bin Laden hasn't done anything for years
Because he was already dead .

Quote:
and was never implicated in 911.
True .

Quote:
He was merely a convenient soundbite in the war on terror campaign.
No, he was far more than that....he was the head of its "government" .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:29 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Can you appreciate how far down the evolutionary scale we have dropped to be applauding this kind of action?

Well said, Builder.

The action itself, and the public reaction to it, were disquieting to say the least.

Here's yesterday's cartoon.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2011/5/3/1304383609136/03.05.11-Steve-Bell-carto-003.jpg
mysteryman

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:53 am
According to the AP, OBL was unarmed when he was killed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BIN_LADEN?SITE=PASCR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Quote:
Osama bin Laden, the al-Qaida leader who liked to pose with a menacing AK-47 assault rifle in his hand or by his side, was discovered without a gun by the Navy SEALs who barged into his room and shot him dead

Quote:
Panetta underscored that Obama had given permission to kill the terrorist leader: "The authority here was to kill bin Laden," he said. "And obviously, under the rules of engagement, if he had in fact thrown up his hands, surrendered and didn't appear to be representing any kind of threat, then they were to capture him. But they had full authority to kill him."
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:06 am
@McTag,
Quote:
The action itself, and the public reaction to it, were disquieting to say the least.

Yes it is a damn shame that people are happy about the killing of a mass murder of thousands who one goal in life is to murder more people

Insane fools is my only reactions to this silliness.
McTag

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:45 am
@BillRM,

Ah, another victim of propaganda.

There's more than a glimmer of light in this article. I hope some will read it carefully.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/03/are-islamist-terrorists-basically-altruistic?INTCMP=SRCH
failures art

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:20 am
@McTag,
I get what the writer was saying, but frankly, he's missing some perspective on control methods.

Citing the Taliban operating toll roads and Hezbollah runningn schools and hospitals is a good argument, but incomplete in terms of human psychology when considering why people endorse these groups.

As an example, we might examine a low income, gang infested neighborhood in Compton, Los Angeles in the 90s. To the gang members themselves (the low ranking ones), they might view themselves as righteous protectors of their neighborhood (an altruistic motivator), and might justify this by thinking that their civic authorities don't care about them, protect them, or even conspire against them. They might even be right about these things. They conduct their operations, and feel at some level justified, and non-gang members in the neighborhood are taught to fear civil authorities like the police, and never rat out your neighborhood's protectors. After all, if you buy into the idea that the neighborhood across the tracks is your primary threat, and that the police won't help you, you may see them as tarnished, but ultimately acceptable knights. Even if they invite chaos and violence to your street. So even while all this is happening, someone in the formula is making money, and gaining power, and their motives are not so altruistic. I'm sure their rhetoric they use to build loyalty sounds good. Lots of Robin hood mythology in most violent criminal orgs I would guess.

A
R
T
Builder

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:52 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Yes it is a damn shame that people are happy about the killing of a mass murder of thousands who one goal in life is to murder more people

The birth of Al Qu'aeda happened during the latter days of the cold war, when the US admin was worried that Russia was going to infiltrate Afghanistan. The call was put out to recruit the most radical Moslems on the planet, the Mujahedin, and they were trained and equipped by the US to take out a superpower (Russia) with home-made bombs, and shoulder-mounted rockets. It worked. Very well. Their training was just an add-on to their fierce hatred of the Russians.

If anyone, especially the Russians, had known about this plan, we might all be living through a nuclear winter right about now.

Does that change how you think about things at all?
wayne

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:53 am
@failures art,
Brings to mind Pablo Escobar.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:57 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya said
Oh, you are a n00b.
Which I agreed with. I did say something pretty stupid, but hell, what's a noob? I shouldn't really accept an insult without knowing what it is.
FBM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:26 am
@izzythepush,
I think a noob is that curvy part at the top of a coathanger.

Or perhaps a species of fish.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:46 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Ticomaya said
Oh, you are a n00b.
Which I agreed with. I did say something pretty stupid, but hell, what's a noob? I shouldn't really accept an insult without knowing what it is.

Not sure it is necessarily an insult. I've seen it used as an insult before, but also not. I'd guess in this case it was "not" intended as an insult.

Anyway, it is a variation of "newbie".

It is an internet term for someone who is new and doesn't know all the established social conventions.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:05 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
And how is it that Christians can assume to be more evolved and more compassionate than Moslems? When they applaud this kind of brutality?

That's easy. Which ones target civilians and cheer the targeting of civilians?

Builder wrote:
Bin Laden hasn't done anything for years,

So?

Builder wrote:
and was never implicated in 911.

Wrong. He most certainly was implicated.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:06 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
BillRM wrote:

The birth of Al Qu'aeda happened during the latter days of the cold war, when the US admin was worried that Russia was going to infiltrate Afghanistan. The call was put out to recruit the most radical Moslems on the planet, the Mujahedin, and they were trained and equipped by the US to take out a superpower (Russia) with home-made bombs, and shoulder-mounted rockets. It worked. Very well. Their training was just an add-on to their fierce hatred of the Russians.

Balderdash.

First, zero US aid went to al-Qa'ida. The fighters from al-Qa'ida got all their funding from rich Saudis.

Second, the people who did get US aid (the Taliban) were not selected or recruited by the US. Rather, the US just gave the money to Pakistan to distribute as they saw fit, and Pakistan chose to create the Taliban out of local Afghani fighters.
Builder

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:42 am
@oralloy,

http://terrorism.about.com/od/warinafghanistan/ss/AfghanistanWar_3.htm

The U.S.-funded Afghan insurgents were called mujahideen, an Arabic word that means "strugglers" or "strivers." The word has its orgins in Islam, and is related to the word jihad, but in the context of the Afghan war, it may be best understood as referring to "resistance."

The mujahideen were organized into different political parties, and armed and supported by different countries, including Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, as well as the United States, and they gained significantly in power and money during the course of the Afghan-Soviet war.

The legendary fierceness of the mujahideen fighters, their stringent, extreme version of Islam and their cause—expelling the Soviet foreigners—drew interest and support from Arab Muslims seeking an opportunity to experience, and experiment with, waging jihad.

Among those drawn to Afghanistan were a wealthy, ambitious, and pious young Saudi named Osama bin Laden and the head of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad organization, Ayman Al Zawahiri.

Plenty more info out there if you care to look, my friend.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:14 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
http://terrorism.about.com/od/warinafghanistan/ss/AfghanistanWar_3.htm

The U.S.-funded Afghan insurgents were called mujahideen, an Arabic word that means "strugglers" or "strivers." The word has its orgins in Islam, and is related to the word jihad, but in the context of the Afghan war, it may be best understood as referring to "resistance."

The mujahideen were organized into different political parties, and armed and supported by different countries, including Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, as well as the United States, and they gained significantly in power and money during the course of the Afghan-Soviet war.

Yes. Saudi Arabia financed al-Qa'ida. And the US gave money to Pakistan, who used it to finance the Taliban. Just as I said.

Builder wrote:
The legendary fierceness of the mujahideen fighters, their stringent, extreme version of Islam and their cause—expelling the Soviet foreigners—drew interest and support from Arab Muslims seeking an opportunity to experience, and experiment with, waging jihad.

Among those drawn to Afghanistan were a wealthy, ambitious, and pious young Saudi named Osama bin Laden and the head of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad organization, Ayman Al Zawahiri.

And they were in the group financed by Saudi Arabia, not the group who received US money through Pakistan.

Builder wrote:
Plenty more info out there if you care to look, my friend.

I already have the information.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:59 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Who knows whether such a tape even exists, but, if it does, I don't think it should ever be publicly aired by the media.

Yeah, having the media and the government hide things material is exactly what freedom of expression and freedom of thought is all about. Your idea is quintessentially American. and it does you credit to suggest it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:32 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
It was a group of Americans who went in at great risk and kill the SOB and therefore it was our achievement to be both proud of and to cerebrate.

Great risk, yeah right. Like the great risk all those bomber jockeys take bombing civilians from 35,000 feet. Or the great risk all those pilots who napalmed villages took or the great risk that all those troops took lining up old men, women and children and gunning them down, or the great risk that those troops took when, after watching women and children go into safety bunkers to escape the US/Aus artillery being rained down on their homes, tossed some grenades in after them.

Or perhaps you mean the great risk that was involved in bombing civilians in Laos and Cambodia?

That's the problem with y'all and it's especially acute with idiots like you, Bill, you just don't ever bother to "cerebrate". If you actually did do some "cerebrating", you would send the vast numbers of war criminals that live in the US to a huge prison in some useless desert portion of the US, maybe, Las Vegas.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:36 am
@oralloy,
Thank you, I'm still not that au fais with this sort of forum. Insult was probably too strong. I should have said banter. As long as it's not rhyming slang for pube. I'm OK.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:43 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
So modern pacifists are more highly evolved then homo sapiens ???

You've got to do better than that if you want to be a big W writer.

???

Silly boy, there's no need to repeat unnecessarily. One question mark let's everyone know that it is, indeed a question. Just check your rulebook. I'm sure that you can find it somewhere.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:48 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
was discovered without a gun by the Navy SEALs who barged into his room and shot him dead

So the big brave barking seals shot an unarmed man. Convenient. Just consider, h2oman, the tales he could have told about he and his CIA pals. Did they find the picture of him and Reagan having lunch together?