Osama Bin Laden is dead

talk72000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
I guess photos will be on youtbe by some soldiers in a few months' time.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:01 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
After bursts of fire over 40 minutes, 22 people were killed or captured. One of the dead was Osama bin Laden, done in by a double tap -- boom, boom -- to the left side of his face.

After 40 minutes of fighting - what the hells wrong with these "special forces" - BL is executed with a double tap [don't forget the graphic, "boom,boom - that will bring in the advertisers, won't it?].

Does this say he was contained and then, instead of bringing him to trial for something that he hasn't even been indicted for, he was summarily executed?

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:05 pm
Did anyone else notice that Osama's compound was right down the road from the military academy?? I doubt that this is a coincidence.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/world/bin-laden-killed/

I am betting that the Americans will say as little as possible about what role the Pakistan Military played in keeping Osama hidden for all of these years....that a deal has be struck.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Did anyone else notice that Osama's compound was right down the road from the military academy??

Yes.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am betting that the Americans

Beginning to distance yourself from this merry band of criminals, Hawk? Smile
firefly

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:12 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Osama Bin Laden is dead.

Finally!

And I do think it is important that the U.S. killed him. His death has symbolic value, and so does the manner of his death.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't think the deal was struck, but now that it's a fait accompli a deal will come out where US and Pakanstani forces go through the compound together.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:15 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
I am betting that the Americans

Beginning to distance yourself from this merry band of criminals, Hawk? Smile
I have said repeatedly that the American government has been corrupted by the corporate class, is an oppressor of the people, and that we are in the process of setting up a police state. I concentrate on the crimes the government commits against Americans, while your focus is else where.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:16 pm
From The New Republic:

Give President Obama credit. As he promised in a bit of florid campaign rhetoric, he followed Osama bin Laden to the cave where he lives—in this case a high-walled compound of steel and concrete not far from the capital of Pakistan.

Characteristically restrained and innately cautious, Obama was quick to note in his remarks Sunday night that the death of bin Laden “does not mark the end of our effort” against the Al Qaeda terrorism network he led. Here the president's prudence served him well. We won’t know for a long time whether this moment will mark the beginning of the end of the war on Islamist terrorism; that will depend on the current state of Al Qaeda's strength—its wealth, numbers, organizational capabilities and other information that most of us have long since ceased paying attention to with any regularity. It’s tempting to believe that decapitating the beast of Al Qaeda will weaken it forever, or render it lifeless. But we just don’t know.

Even if bin Laden’s death doesn’t operationally cripple his network, though, it’s deeply significant in its own right. We understand our history in stories, and bin Laden was always the central protagonist of the story of September 11. It may be that we personalize our history too much, that our instinct to focus on individual heroes and villains sometimes distorts our understanding and simplifies complex realities. But personalize it we do, and there could be no satisfying resolution to our story without bin Laden’s death or capture.

Indeed, it was in late 2001, when bin Laden eluded American fighters in Tora Bora, that the narrative of swift justice that we were writing for ourselves began to go awry. From there, without finishing the job, we siphoned resources away from the Afghanistan campaign and into Iraq. Over the next several years, the war on terrorism at home would notch many notable if insufficiently appreciated successes. Law-enforcement officials thwarted attacks, broke up cells, captured plotters, picked off killers. But in part because bin Laden was still at large, these stories were greeted with too much media-fed fear—this attack was stopped, but what about the next one?—and too little of the respect and sober applause they deserved.

Worse, running alongside those successes was a string of errors, failures, and even catastrophes. The biggest were those in the occupation of Iraq, in the collapse of nation-building and backsliding in Afghanistan, and in the forsaking of sacred liberties at home—including the institutionalized policies of torture, now mercifully discontinued, and of imprisoning men forever without trial, now shamefully approved and continued by a Democratic administration.

Technically, this tragic course of events would probably still have unfolded even had bin Laden been caught as soon as George W. Bush pasted his Dead-or-Alive poster on the saloon wall. Symbolically, however, bin Laden's survival accentuated the bitterness of each blunder and heightened the regret of each mistake. Even as he fell out of the headlines, he remained at the center of the story and fixed in our consciousness. His specter somehow loomed over all that seemed to go wrong in the last decade.

The ebullient hordes spontaneously gathering tonight at the White House and Ground Zero and Times Square look like the crowds that gather after a war is won. None has been. But these joyous Americans are recapturing a feeling that we lost nearly ten years ago along with bin Laden in the mountains of Tora Bora—a feeling that America was in the process, however haltingly, of prosecuting justice after a terrible blow. The twisted, tragic sequence of events that Osama bin Laden set into motion on September 11, 2001 can never be undone, but, as President Obama told the world Sunday night, there is no denying that, at long last, “justice has been done.”

David Greenberg, a contributing editor to The New Republic, teaches history at Rutgers University
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:24 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
We understand our history in stories,

No ****!

'stories', even that is a pretty good euphemism.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:28 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
The ebullient hordes spontaneously gathering tonight at the White House and Ground Zero and Times Square look like the crowds that gather after a war is won. None has been. But these joyous Americans are recapturing a feeling that we lost nearly ten years ago along with bin Laden in the mountains of Tora Bora—a feeling that America was in the process, however haltingly, of prosecuting justice after a terrible blow
Osama won....he prompted America to gorge upon debt, to indulge in our fear, and to commit acts that prove that we are morally depraved. He wanted to see America hurt, and he did, though almost all the wounds have been self inflicted. Osama was an expert in Jujutsu.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:43 pm
Been seeing this a lot today

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5679286027_153037b9aa.jpg

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn
This bit of tripe coming from the same people who claim that Tea Partiers are stupid I bet. Pot meet kettle.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And you are surprised?! Dude, that's America!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn
This bit of tripe coming from the same people who claim that Tea Partiers are stupid I bet. Pot meet kettle.

It's meant as a joke - no need to get your panties in a twist about everything, Hawk.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:52 pm
More evidence that the Military hid Osama
Quote:
7. Who knew? The U.S. says the area around the compound has "lots of retired military." The Washington Post reports that it's "the headquarters of a brigade of the Pakistan army's 2nd Division." Despite this, the U.S. adds that "the compound was built in 2005," apparently "for the purpose of harboring" Bin Laden. How could he have arranged the construction of such a facility, and then moved into it with his family, without anyone in the local Pakistani military network knowing about it?
http://www.slate.com/id/2292705/

Though Saletan does not think that Pakistan ever gave him up, though if I were leading the Pakistan military and I wanted to give up Osama I would demand that the US make it look like I had nothing to do with it.
talk72000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is a private development. It doesn't mean the military especially retired ones would know of every development. In our city there are homeless people all around the Police headquarters and all kinds of petty crimes going on but there is nary a police(wo)man around to supervise or anything.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:05 pm
Quote:
Argument two: Bin Laden was a symbol, not an end. After Saddam Hussein was captured, then-Democratic presidential frontrunner Howard Dean made a "gaffe." He said "the capture of Saddam Hussein has not made us safer." For this, Dean was derided as a peacenik, a fool, and a churl who couldn't stomach a victory for George W. Bush. Eight years later, who disagrees with his basic point? Months from now, when people are still taking off shoes and junking LifeWater bottles in order to get on planes, and when terrorist attacks are still taking victims in Iraq and Afghanistan, the killing of bin Laden is going to be viewed very differently. And there will be an opening again for a critique of Obama's GWOT strategy.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:11 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

It is a private development. It doesn't mean the military especially retired ones would know of every development. In our city there are homeless people all around the Police headquarters and all kinds of petty crimes going on but there is nary a police(wo)man around to supervise or anything.
I am not arguing that every retired military in the area knew, only the ones who were charged with protecting and looking after Osama, who certainly were retired or active military who live in the area.
talk72000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
who were charged with protecting and looking after Osama

You are assuming that. Osama only gives money. He could have bribed some but to do a McCarthy accusation is wrong.
0 Replies