Hey, we're freezing over here!

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:17 pm
Oh nice Pueo :-D
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 05:52 am
There were robins in the trees when i came home yesterday. Either they know something we don't, or they're incredibly stupid, and will pay the price.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:28 am
Just winter birds around here as yet, and there's been a Northern Hawk Owl, very rare this far South, I understand, which has made the local papers. The critter has taken up residence just up the road from me, and I've seen it hunting the nearby fields. A sure sign of impending spring, the Eagles were circling and diving at one another early this morning.

Meanwhile, winter goes on;

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/5668/imag00198wn.jpg

Good for ice fishing ... there's about 4' of ice on the lakes. Think that's where I'm goin' today. Some fresh panfish for dinner has real appeal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:26 am
That does sound excellent, timber. I really liked that pic of your view.

Maybe some bacon with the fish - and some hot potato salad... mmm, gettin' hungry here.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:31 am
yah, what's up with the birds this year? i heard packs of wild geese a few times over my head in january, couldn't tell if they were stupid enough to be just leaving, or even stupider to already come back. but at least 3 times there were packs of them.
so i hear the groundhog saw his shadow. i want to know how this works - is one groundhog good for all of the north america, or does each state have its own, or even each town? and which groundhog is legit, and which just an imposter (sorry c.i.)?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
Theoretically, Puxatawney Phil is the groundhog of record. If he appears on a sunny day in Pennsylvania, on February 2nd, there will be six more weeks of winter. What they don't tell is that if he appears on an overcast day, and does not see his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:42 am
What happens when he dies? No more winter ever? Or do they hold a competition for a new Phil? Or is it an inherited function? Does it pass to the firstborn son? Are daughters eligible?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:43 am
Where ya going in Californee, dag? That's my home, you know. (Well, the middle part, anyway...)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:47 am
I rather suspect, Dag, that they round up any old groundhog they can find, stuff him/her in a hole, and start the cameras rolling as the poor critter pops its head up, trying to figure out of the crazy bipedals who have turned its world upside down are still in sight . . .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:50 am
Yeah right, Set, and now you'll tell me there ain't no Santa Claus either!
Am going to Santa Barbara. Getting off the plane in LA on 14th Feb, then driving to SB and back the following Saturday...eeerrr 21st would it be? Ya around somewhere there?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:58 am
No, I'm in the Midwest for the next few years, but this is not my home.

I've got some family in Santa Barbara, but don't really know it. If you were going to be further up the coast I might've been able to recommend some things to you. But your surfer boy out there will probably keep you busy. (SB's about as far north as the warm water from the South Pacific goes. Considerably colder just up the coast; you see a lot of wetsuits starting around Pismo...)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:12 pm
BF is a surfer boy. Maybe I'll try it myself. With a chronic middle ear infection is not as much fun as I imagine it could be without it. Try surfing and think constantly you can't get your ear under water. But I'll plug it with something and learn the craft. To hell with my organism, I will call the shots around here!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:24 pm
Spent a summer learning to body surf from my uncle down there when I was a kid. Problem is, I can't swim worth a damn.

And look out for tar. There's a lot of it floating around there, and it likes to stick to feet.

(Just realized you're going to a beach town in February...)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:35 pm
Anything a bit down South-wards looks like a summer resort from here. Although with 41°F I can feel the spring running through my veins already! Going for a jog!!! (Dissertation can wait, right?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:24 am
ok
who's in Texas?
i've got a bit of a peeve with them

Quote:
Severe weather bulletin
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 4:42 AM EST THURSDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2004.
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

Quote:
ANOTHER WINTER STORM WITH SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN THREATENING SOUTHERN ONTARIO TONIGHT AND FRIDAY.

THIS IS AN ALERT TO THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OF DANGEROUS
WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER
CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

==DISCUSSION==

A LARGE WINTER STORM CURRENTLY GETTING ORGANIZED OVER EASTERN TEXAS AND THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY IS STARTING TO MOVE NORTHEAST TOWARDS THE GREAT LAKES. SNOW FROM THIS STORM IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO THIS EVENING THEN SPREAD RAPIDLY NORTHEAST INTO THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE AREA OVERNIGHT THEN INTO EASTERN ONTARIO AND COTTAGE COUNTRY FRIDAY MORNING.

THE SNOW WILL CHANGE OVER QUICKLY TO FREEZING RAIN OVER
SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO OVERNIGHT THEN TO RAIN FRIDAY MORNING.
ELSEWHERE OVER DISTRICTS SOUTH OF A WIARTON TO KINGSTON LINE THE SNOW WILL CHANGE OVER TO FREEZING RAIN THEN TO RAIN ON FRIDAY BEFORE COMING TO AN END DURING THE DAY.

FURTHER NORTH FROM GEORGIAN BAY INTO THE OTTAWA VALLEY SNOW HEAVY AT TIMES IS EXPECTED ALL DAY.

SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM
ESPECIALLY OVER NORTHERN AND CENTRAL SECTIONS INTO THE OTTAWA VALLEY. FREEZING RAIN MAY LAST A FEW HOURS OVER MANY AREAS BEFORE CHANGING TO RAIN.

TRAVELLING CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO QUICKLY DETERIORATE AND BECOME HAZARDOUS TONIGHT AND FRIDAY DUE TO THE SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN.

Thanks, Texas.

NOT!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:26 am
um, I'm in Texas, but I promise I'm not organizing anything! Certainly not any storms. Maybe PDiddie is whuppin' 'em up for you. At least he's not golfing today - it's been raining since last night, and will rain all day.

But hey, we're supposed to get up to 70 today. Why don't you come down for a visit? Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:43 am
Lotsa trouble from Texas (as usual)... Wink

It's warmer in Boston than Seattle? Here it's only 36F this morning.

Speaking of signs of spring, my horse has shed her entire winter coat now. What's up with that? Daffodils are eight-ten inches tall, but no blooms yet.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:32 am
Well, our ponies are still plenty shaggy, and a 10" tall daffodil would be about a foot short of breaking through the snow cover. On the bright side, we could make it up to 20° F today, before dropping back to sub-zero overnight. More snow on the way, too. Historically, March and February, in that order, are our snowiest months around here., with February and January, in that order, being our coldest months. It has been known to snow in September and in May, and Halloween and Easter blizzards are not uncommon. A few years back ... '98, I think, we got 3' of snow over the Halloween weekend.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:53 pm
Those Texas organizers have got some splainin' to do. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:14 pm
on the cool side today

79°F
Light Rain Feels Like
84°F

UV Index: 5 Moderate