Hey, we're freezing over here!

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:11 am
What's this all about? It's below freezing and has been for days. This is very unusual for Seattle... snow, ice... frozen stuff. What???

Quote:
Current conditions
Seattle, WA (98109)
24°F -- Feels like: 15°F

The weather is not record-breaking though the weather station at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport hasn't had a day with a high temperature below freezing since 1998, the weather service says.

The weather service may say that, but hey, I know what I know. We're not used to this and I, for one, want it stopped!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 26,263 • Replies: 702
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:17 am
Wuss! It's good for you! Toughen up, girl!

or just send it east - I want some snow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:19 am
My thoughts exactly... don't talk to ME about freezing....

seriously though, what about all your mediterranean plants?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:38 am
I'm tolin you, it's warm in Houston - near record temps. I believe many plants have recieved a wrong message, as I see green shoots on my bananas and there are other signs of greenery. The seven sisters rose in the front yard never quit blooming so far. It has a large red cluster of flowers on it right now.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:39 am
75 degrees in Raleigh..also very unusual...nice though...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:50 am
Beth -- how can this be good? This is not good! The poor little birds... probably dying in flocks, scrabbling for little bits of food. My horse... I've had to thaw out her water tank with two pots of boiling water. The dogs... well, OK, the dogs think this is grand but we all know they don't have a brain between them.

Waaaaaaaaah.... littlek, the Mediterranean plants.... waaaah. I've had geraniums in the ground for three years... I'll bet they're dead. My Christmas cactus... <sob>.

There isn't even much snow for fun, just a little dusting of it and all this stupid hard frozen ground. Yuck.

75 degrees? Oh, oh, oh. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah That's warmer than I keep my house!

Plus -- I'm stir crazy. Have been in the house for days except for feeding... and it's so cold!

Arggggggh.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:52 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I'm tolin you, it's warm in Houston - near record temps. I believe many plants have recieved a wrong message, as I see green shoots on my bananas and there are other signs of greenery. The seven sisters rose in the front yard never quit blooming so far. It has a large red cluster of flowers on it right now.

We had nice warm temps and several of my plants were tricked too... but.. Edgar? Bananas?

Bananas???

<sigh>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:56 am
The weather's been very strange here. We had a white Christmas, then 40's-50's-and up, I think. A couple of days ago I went outside in my winter coat, cursed, went back in and exchanged it for my jean jacket. WARM.

But now the snow is really coming down! I'm so happy! Warm weather is fine in say April or May, but it was creeping me out in January.

Good luck to your plants and the birds and all, Piff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:59 am
Yep, I prefer a cold winter. It keeps the work nature does in sync. Without a good freeze the fleas continue to thrive all year. That makes it hard to keep the dogs disinfected.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:03 am
piffka - the birds will be fine. They're best off if you just leave them alone to begin with, but they're always better at weather changes than most of us are.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:54 am
January in Michigan should be cold, instead it's been 40's and 50's. There hasn't been a real deep freeze yet, and some of the plants in my yard refuse to sleep for the winter. However, this weeks comming forcasts includes temps in the low teens. Burrrr!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:58 am
OK -
I'm sick of the flu
I'm sick of the snow
I'm sick of the cold

WHAT THE F_________ is next@!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:02 pm
Sozobe -- It sounds like you've got OUR WEATHER! Hey, you've got our football team, too. Exclamation At least, the GBPackers are playing the Seattle team. Mr.P is just starting to watch the game... don't worry, we'll lose.

They're predicting a new snowstorm tomorrow evening.
Quote:
... potential to be the heaviest and most widespread snow event for the western Washington lowlands since the heavy snows after Christmas in 1996.

Those snows in '96 only lasted three days and eveybody was freaked out then! This time we've been in snow & freezing conditions since the 30th and it just won't warm up.

I'm sick of it. Nothing in Western Washington is used to this very unusual weather, especially not having it linger on and on and on. We're still at -6C right now... average normal temperature would be 45F/7C.

Okay. I'm done bitching. Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:06 pm
Oh, jeez, Husker, Spokane is even colder than Seattle! (-14C) I'm sorry. Sorry you have the flu, too. Hope you get well soon.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:26 pm
It was -39 last night with the wind chill and I am freezing. My car groans and shakes when I attempt to start it, I'm lucky it doesn't freeze right through tons of cars have.
My boy played hockey last night while I sat in the stands and froze - at an indoor game, they just couldn't heat the building enough, I guess.
We get the driest of colds up here, those of you in humid places would never understand. The cold catches in your throat and the colder it gets the louder it gets when you walk/crunch across the snow. Skin freezes in seconds, eye lashes and facial hair become in entombed in frost and only the birds seem to be enjoying it. "Why do I live up here again???!!!???"

I hope it warms up soon. It had better warm up soon or I'm heading to mexico.
0 Replies

Evince

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:34 pm
I'm pretty lucky, we've got low fourties over here, and it's pouring down rain---Not had snow since Christmas Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:35 pm
Ceili -- That sounds like Fairbanks in the winter... been there, done that, didn't like it. I hope you have great summer weather to compensate!

Here in Seattle, we get a lot of rain and gray days... the trade-off being (supposedly) we don't have to suffer these cold spells. It's worked for me -- a deal I can live with despite the truly crummy rain we have throughout the year. It's just not fair.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:43 pm
I bet the weather's crummy for my sister, in Wala-Wala, too. There's times I envey living there, but this isn't one of them.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:16 pm
At least we have sunshine for a couple hours everyday, it unusual to have cloudy skies - unless it snows and we don't get too much usually.

Summers are short and inundated with mosquitos.
Yep, I know you're all jealous but we got it all up here, to bad so sad... Welcome to the frozen paradise Sad
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:46 pm
It's beautiful here! - excpet for the cricket results!

Temps are around the 30's C - 80-90F, clear and sunny. Magic summer days! Razz
0 Replies