Hey, we're freezing over here!

husker

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:53 am
Piffka
the van went from being warm to freezing and frosted windows. I think the freeway driving was to much (windchill and all). the thermostat went to the blue zone also.

the pipes in the house concern me a little - thinking about a plan of attack for that.

out of 140 people there are only about 50 here so far.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:06 am
Brrrr, D'a. Stay warm and safe. Even public transportation can be tricky. Have you ever been on a bus that starts sliding backwards down a slick hill? Not a good trip.

Husker -- How can the water in the house freeze? Do the pipes go through so part that is uninsulated? I feel lots of sympathy for Mrs. H. Trying to do housekeeping under those kinds of conditions is not fun.

I've got to pour more boiling water into Pearl's water trough. Livestock tend to not want to drink if the water gets too cold even if they can get through the ice. Must figure out something, I think a five gallon bucket filled from the house.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:11 am
Piffka, I've been on buses that have lost traction and given up. I've also walked after a fair number have ended up disabled on the hills. I have to go up, then down steep hills between work and home. Not fun when it's icy!

Sorry about the pipes, Husker. My place is surviving with only trivial problems. Not worthy of mention here!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:27 pm
Thank guys! The Mrs just called - she's heated the house to 75 degrees (the pipes in that part of the house were put in incorrectly IMO - to close to the North wall and under a floor (mainfloor laundry room) that gets no direct heat). I'm temped but hate to think of the expense of ripping out the wall and floor to repair a burst or even do future preventative stuff.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:54 pm
Anything built in your neck of the woods should already be 'preventative' in it's construction.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:46 pm
Let's not forget that - sometime you find out after the fact that a contractor 18 years ago took some short cut in construction to save a few bucks.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:50 pm
Yeah, hopefully they are out of business now.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:53 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Too darned hot - I was out all yesterday and didn't get back till 9.30. It was still uncomfortably warm even then. We can expect some storms from now on....

Stilly,
Wilso and I (and 41,000 others) were at the cricket on Sunday - bloody hot there, but we were cooled marginally by our tears! Crying or Very sad A fine time for India to come good! But...in the sun from 10am to 6.30pm (well, not Wilso, he came late and left early!)
And then we had to fight the SCG traffic !

But - many mangoes have been eaten lately! (My preference is with fizz - champagne....)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:17 pm
Sorry you lost (again -- heehee). I thought tears were hot? What in the world is SCG traffic?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:32 pm
This is weird, I was checking the weather and for London Yahoo says: Showers High: 51 Low: 52

Huh?

The skies here have that murky look and they're predicting 6-10 inches of snow tonight. I don't believe it... we've never had that much snow.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:42 pm
6-10 inches?!?! Is that for Western WA in general, or greater Gig Harbor?!?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:50 pm
It's a slightly different prediction for Seattle (stay warm!).

My forecast from NOAA:
HOOD CANAL/KITSAP PENINSULA-SOUTHWEST INTERIOR-TACOMA AREA-
1040 AM PST MON JAN 5 2004

...A HEAVY SNOW WARNING IS IN EFFECT TONIGHT AND TUESDAY...

SIX TO TEN INCHES OF NEW SNOW IS EXPECTED TO FALL BY LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON. LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN FALLING THIS EVENING...BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING BEFORE GRADUALLY CHANGING TO RAIN BY LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

This is for Seattle:
ADMIRALTY INLET AREA-CENTRAL CASCADE FOOTHILLS-CENTRAL COAST-EASTERN STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA-EVERETT AND VICINITY-NORTH COAST-NORTHERN CASCADE FOOTHILLS-NORTHWEST INTERIOR-SAN JUAN-SEATTLE METROPOLITAN AREA-WESTERN STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA-WESTERN WHATCOM-
1040 AM PST MON JAN 5 2004

...A HEAVY SNOW WARNING IS IN EFFECT TONIGHT AND TUESDAY...

THREE TO SIX INCHES OF NEW SNOW IS EXPECTED TO FALL BY LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON OVER MOST OF THE AREA.

TWO TO FOUR INCHES OF NEW SNOW ARE EXPECTED ALONG THE COAST...WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES JUST INLAND FROM THE COASTAL STRIP.

TWO TO FOUR INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE SEATTLE AREA...WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES EXPECTED NORTH AND EAST OF DOWNTOWN SEATTLE.

LIGHT SNOW OR FLURRIES WILL BEGIN FALLING ALONG THE COAST THIS EVENING...BECOMING STEADY AND HEAVY AT TIMES BY MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL GRADUALLY SPREAD NORTH AND EAST THROUGH THE EVENING...BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES OVER PUGET SOUND TOWARDS MORNING. SNOWFALL WILL BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVER THE NORTH INTERIOR AROUND SUNRISE.

SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING BEFORE GRADUALLY CHANGING TO RAIN ALONG THE COAST DURING THE AFTERNOON. THE INTERIOR AREAS WILL CHANGE TO RAIN LATE IN THE AFTERNOON...EXCEPT FOR WHATCOM COUNTY WHERE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TUESDAY EVENING.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:54 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
3-6 inches is plenty, piffka, thanks. It will immobilize the city, at least for a while...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:18 pm
... So I hope you all have a good book, some warm critters to snuggle up with & a big, glowing fire to dream in front of. You'll just have to make the best of it! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:21 pm
yikes, I'd better look up my weather report..

Tonight's low 38, heavy rain, sigh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:33 pm
... & get those long johns out of mothballs, osso! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:41 pm
and my mittens!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:46 pm
... & your nose cosy! Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:35 pm
I AM wearing longjohns... and off to give the horse another chance at liquid water.

Right now I'd welcome those heavy rains...
0 Replies