27°F
Light Snow
Feels Like: 14°F
Humidity:86%
Wind: ESE at 17 mph
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:24 pm
I just heard on the radio, millions of monarchs froze in Mexico. Apparently they've had freakishly cold weather this year.
This is just sad.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:00 am
For sure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:22 pm
Oh, I don't like the news about those butterflies.
It's definitely been freakish. I don't think I've ever seen fog and snow at the same time before. Weird.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:54 pm
We have that here all the time eh, it's called ice fog. It's weird, you're getting our weather, and we are getting yours. We had freezing rain 5 days in a row. Unheard of!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 01:30 pm
3.5 inches of rain here in N. GA Thursday nite, schools in all surrounding counties were closed due flooding roads, woke up this morning(Saturday) to lite snow. Good thing all that rain wasn't snow!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:13 pm
Can you all see me glaring at my harvest gold refrigerator?
I'm sure you can.
I'm also sure you're asking, what the **** is she putting that on a weather thread for?

Well, I'll tell you (I'm sure you were curious).

I was supposed to get a new, white, refrigerator today.

I emptied the harvest gold beast <glare> - put everything on the back stoop (that's what -15 temps are good for) - unplugged the beast <glare> - dragged it into the middle of the kitchen <glare> - cleaned the back 40 of the kitchen thoroughly.

Cleared a path from the front door through the front room (lr/dr space) to the beast <glare>. Murphy'd the wood floors.

Got up at 6 a.m. to wait for the 7 a.m.+ delivery.

10 a.m. comes, as does the delivery truck. The helper comes up - I tell him I'm putting the dogs upstairs. Cool. The driver arrives. He won't make the delivery. He fell on ice earlier in the day - and is afraid to make this one. Too much ice. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. My neighbour Gary spent close to 2 hours clearing the ice and snow from the sidewalk, drive and steps. I spent another hour clearing the porch. What ice? ahhhhhhhhh - the ice on the road. The truck is too big to fit into my driveway (did I mention I moved my car at 6:20 a.m.?), and there is ice on the road, between the truck and the sidewalk. He won't give me my delivery order, so I can call the dispatcher, and leaves. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

There's more to this evil tale, but the weather has left me with the harvest gold beast <glare> for at least another 4 days, maybe longer.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:27 pm
Demnably HOT yesterday.

Today, 7am and it's in the 20s and on it's way to 30C (86F) with big thunderstorm expected. We're looking at a week of 35C-38C (95F and then past the ton). February, tricky month this.

ehBeth, you need a fridge for what? You LIVE in a fridge! :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:38 pm
mr. stillwater : do you realize that the eskimos buy a lot of refrigerators ? i couldn't believe it when i first heard about it after coming to canada; they need the refrigerators to keep their food from freezing ! can you beat that ? hbg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:44 pm
hamburger wrote:
mr. stillwater : do you realize that the eskimos buy a lot of refrigerators ? i couldn't believe it when i first heard about it after coming to canada; they need the refrigerators to keep their food from freezing ! can you beat that ? hbg

Are you sure of that, they could just be the victims of the hard sell. I knew someone that didn't just sell fridges to Eskimos, he also sold them air-conditioners!!!!! Laughing

I did know that, just can't help myself, that's all!! :wink:

My commiserations to our North American cousins. I'm sure this isn't a return of the 'Little Ice Age' that gripped your continent from the 12th century to about the mid 19th.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:54 pm
mr. stillwater wrote : "I'm sure this isn't a return of the 'Little Ice Age' that gripped your continent from the 12th century to about the mid 19th." ... are you sure ? read an article in a german science magazine last year, that stated that european scientists are very concerned about the cooling of the gulf-stream. the consequences of such cooling would have serious implications for life and agriculture in europe - would not be good news for the eastern part of north-america either. hbg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 01:00 am
Burger-boy, the only reason that North Americans don't speak a varient of Norse is that the Viking settlements in Nth America failed because the 'Little Ice Age' drove them out. Can you imagine the suprise of the Spanish when they found European colonies waiting for them when they 'conquered' the New World?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 01:06 am
Poor Beth!!!!!!!

(I want a stainless steel fronted refridgerator - Harvest Gold would be ok too, I think....)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 04:49 am
Hbgr - I'm sorry, I was a little brusk there. The Period from about 1300AD through 1850AD was marked by temperatures up to 2C lower than today. There's no official 'explanation', ice-ages just occur, but what is obvious is that the climatic conditions had a marked effect on the human population.

Two such events were the abandoning of the Viking settlements in the North American continent, and the failure of the earliest Antarctic expeditions. Climate is, and always will be, the biggest factor in the success of species survival. Our own success is less due to being hairy or smart or using our hands to make tools and not pick our noses, but the closing of the gap between North and South America. The change in ocean currents led to Eastern Africa becoming a dryer, less forested land - forcing our ancestors to either continue seeking a living as an semi-aboreal creature (the chimp) or trying the unknown path of being ground-dwellers.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 04:50 am
...and BTW, it's 10pm here and still HOT!! No storm to cool it down a little.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 05:18 am
And getting hotter.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 05:37 am
I was helping out my mate with the gardening, the sweat pouring off the two of us and an ocean beach about 10 mins drive away!

Crazy?! F@ck yeah!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 11:14 am
mr. stillwater : i feel soooo sorry for you, having to sweat so early in the day ! woke up this morning to MINUS 18 C (about 0 F - right ? ), you could have come over to cool off a bit. our beach at lake ontario is also only about 10 minutes away; you'd be welcome to go for a "polar-bear swim", but bring the ice-auger; ice-fishing is good this year ! when i think that in another five months time the air-conditioner will be cranked up to full blast - hard to believe ! but as we say here, it's not the heat that bothers us in the summer, it's the HUMIDITY ! (and you believe that ?) hbg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 11:23 am
humidity's a killer here, too!

4.20am and still sticky! And I have to go back to work today!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 11:28 am
fortunately for us, the only 'Stillwater' we have to deal with is "ice", and it doesn't say much! Shocked
0 Replies