Hey, we're freezing over here!

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
Its -35 here, both my cars are froze up and I can't do too much about it cause it's too cold.....damn this weather.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 03:23 pm
It's 56 F on my back porch in very northern california right now, which is slightly warm for winter - which tends to a steady 53.. There is even a smidge of sun, but just a smidge. I hear we had 12" of rain in December. In summer we rarely get over 63 or 64, and I'd rather see a bump up in that. In the meantime, lots of birds have been visiting the cotoneaster tree across the street.. it's almost red with berries.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 03:35 pm
I had the air conditioner on in my car today and yesterday here in N. Georgia. It's crazy warm for January, lots of people wearing shorts like it's spring.
0 Replies

TwistedFerret

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:41 pm
Oh, no!!! Shocked This is very bad, Piffka!!! It means that Global Freezing (caused by the "Icebox" effect) has already begun to take effect!!! Woe is us!!! Woooeeee!!!!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:56 pm
Brand X wrote:
I had the air conditioner on in my car today and yesterday here in N. Georgia. It's crazy warm for January, lots of people wearing shorts like it's spring.

Shut up!...Just kidding, but I envy you.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:13 pm
Hey Ceili... we had sunshine today! It never got over -2C though... and now it's -4C. It is interesting "learning" what this Celsius scale feels like. So far, it's cold!

Osso -- that's the kind of weather I'd like to see here... mild. Sounds great! We went out to the bay to check on pipes this afernoon. They were frozen but responded immediately to boiling water.

Margo -- Magic summer? OoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOoo. Enjoy it and tell us about it so we can pretend we're there.

Brand X -- Shorts? Shorts??? How warm was it?

Stand up for Pessimism -- Are you in the Yukon?

Twisted Ferret -- Are you worried?

While I wrote this the temperature went down another degree... now 5C. For Pete's sake...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:22 pm
A cold front will lower our temperature pretty much for at least a few days. We need a hard freeze, but it seems unlikely we will get it soon.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:25 pm
Piffka wrote:

Stand up for Pessimism -- Are you in the Yukon?

Nope, Saskatchewan...lol
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:30 pm
Oh, well, I hope you get your wish!

I forgot to say, Edgar, that I checked the Walla Walla temperatures and they're even more bitterly cold than we are... they were at -14 this afternoon, now they're at -18 and have this scary sounding advisory against driving.

Quote:
Weather Storm Advisory through Tuesday night: Any travel is strongly discouraged. If you leave the safety of being indoors, you are putting your life at risk.

I expect your sister knows how to drive carefully in this. Best of luck to her.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:41 pm
Too darned hot - I was out all yesterday and didn't get back till 9.30. It was still uncomfortably warm even then. We can expect some storms from now on....
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:04 pm
I'm envious.....here, we had our AIR on this past weekend!!!!!!!! Now the rain is coming and the temp is dropping THANK GOD!!!!! Nothing like shorts and sleeveless shirts in JANUARY! WHERES our SNOW??????? lol Now, were expecting 40's this week. If this was July, I'd be happy with the temp, but not for Jan. Its sooooopoooosed to be cold here....lol
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:14 pm
You're breaking my heart... we'll send you some of this, OK?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:17 pm
Shiver,
You want snow and cold weather? Care to take a vacation, or maybe you'd like to trade me places for awhile!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:32 am
Talked to my mother, she said they had 43C today in the Hunter districts of NSW - that's about 110F in your lingo. Damn hot!!

Right now it's 10.30 at night and quite pleasantly cool. We're drinking cold beer and eating slices of chilled mango. Hope the water in the pipes doesn't freeze or anything!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:04 am
Is rather pleasant at the moment. I HATE the cold. 43 is hot though!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:51 am
It was 65 degrees during the night, already dropped to 56 this morning and is to be in the 40's by evening. Heatwave is over.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:00 am
-25f here this am (no windchill)
my car started and warmed up but the brakes were frozen so I could not drive it.

My kids car would not start. Took the Mrs mini-van and it froze up driving to the office. Since at the office the temp has dropped to 58 in the office. The Mrs just called to say the kitchen and laundry water is frozen up.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:02 am
Yuk! That drive me insane!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:38 am
Husker? Oh no! I thought you over there on the east side were prepared for this kind of weather. Brakes frozen? That sounds scary! What do you mean, the minivan froze up driving to the office???

Brand X -- I wish you'd put where you're from on your profile so I can keep track. So, sad news, Northern Georgia (right?) is cooling off... We're at, uhhh, -6C still. Dang, everything is frozen hard as a rock.

Stand up? That's a dog pressing against a chainlink fence, isn't it? All this time (with my crummy vision) I thought it was some weird highrise building. Are you too shy to say if you in Alaska?

Mr. Stillwater.... mangoes & beer? That doesn't sound so good to this Propodean. Mangoes & wine... OK. Beer & Chips... OK. Sweet fruit and beer... hmmmmmm. I am glad you're having lovely weather because that probably means Margo and Deb are, too. I'm with Wilso, 43C is too hot, waaaaaaaaay too hot. Your poor mum. My F-i-L (GRHS) used to like a similar heat in Phoenix. I don't know, maybe when you get older, that heat feels good.

I like the temperature to stay between 72 & 82F. I think I remember the only place that comes close to that is somewhere in Central America.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:48 am
It is cold, Piffka. I used to live in Upstate NY (school days) and sometimes wax nostalgic and muse about moving back there. Now I know better. This cold would be about typical there in winter--and it lasts six months!

Anyhow, tonight it's supposed to snow again. I look forward to that, then I rememember how things don't work well here when it snows. Garbage not picked up last week, for instance.

Before you cold-weather folks all laugh, please bear in mind: It's also hilly here. Snow and ice make driving a weird adventure...
0 Replies