msolga

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:20 am
@izzythepush,

I don't know either, chuck. Sad
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 12:25 pm
@msolga,
I dident say that we ought to do away with the U.N. but it sure could use some revisions just as the U.S. government could. That one country can stop an action by all the others dosent make sense, any more than one senator being able to hold up a law. If you cant see the sense in wanting both organizations to be more for the common good than for the rich and powerful than I feel sorry for you. If one dosent acknowledge that they need revamping than how will we ever improve them.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 12:35 pm
@msolga,
The reason I use one liners is to be concise. I for one dont read a 15 paragraph post. If you cant state your opinion in just a few sentences than one shouldent post in my opinion.
Irishk

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 12:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I've already stated my opinion about the UN; they are powerless, useless, and without influence. The members of the Security Council are at logger-heads on most issues, and nothing gets done.

They've had time to honor Robert Mugabe as an Ambassador For Tourism, though.

(Irony...he's under a travel ban) Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:16 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I dident say that we ought to do away with the U.N.

Thank you for clarifying that.
I asked because you were so critical of the UN, but I didn't say that you'd suggested the UN should be done away with.
Quote:
but it sure could use some revisions just as the U.S. government could

Agreed (obviously) on the UN part. That's precisely what I've been arguing. I haven't commented at all about revisions to the US government.
Quote:
If you cant see the sense in wanting both organizations to be more for the common good than for the rich and powerful than I feel sorry for you.

Did I suggest anything remotely like that? I don't think so.
Quote:
If one dosent acknowledge that they need revamping than how will we ever improve them.

Most of my comments here have been arguments for reform of the UN. As to commenting on revamping the US government , I feel US A2Kers are much better qualified to make any such suggestions than I am. (I don't live in the US.)
msolga

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:30 pm
@Irishk,
Well that's obviously farcical, but it has nothing to do with the Security Council (c.i.'s quote) .

I had to Google UNWTO to find out what it actually was:

http://unwto.org/en

Obviously the UNWTO could do with a bit of a shake-up, too! Wink

Any thoughts about how the UN is handling the latest developments in Syria?
I'd be interested in your thoughts.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:42 pm
Update:

Quote:
Syria renews attack on Houla massacre site
Updated May 31, 2012 07:11:15/ABC News

Video: Nations expel Syrian diplomats after Houla massacre (7pm TV News NSW)
Related Story: Carr won't rule out military intervention in Syria
Related Story: Diplomats expelled as Annan tells Assad to stop the killing
Related Story: Witnesses describe Syrian massacre horror
Related Story: Security Council condemns massacre in Syria
Map: Syrian Arab Republic

Syrian forces have launched a fresh assault on the site of last week's Houla massacre, forcing villagers to flee heavy shelling in fear of more carnage.

Machine gun fire was followed in the afternoon by shelling that targeted homes near where more than 100 people were killed on Friday and Saturday, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The watchdog said smoke was seen billowing above the village as residents escaped to other towns in the region "for fear of a new massacre".

Syria's opposition called for UN observers to rush to the area to protect residents.

"The murderous regime is currently carrying out bombing of Houla ... using tanks and shells," the Syrian National Council, the main opposition coalition, said.

"The council calls on UN observers to travel quickly to Houla and put pressure on the regime to stop the bombing and protect civilians who are still there.

"People are calling in distress following the regime's brutal attack on their community, especially after the army's withdrawal of roadblocks, which usually signals the beginning of attacks." ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-31/syria-renews-attack-on-houla-massacre-site/4043234
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:46 pm
@msolga,
Talking about revisions at the UN is worthless crap!
msolga

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well thanks for that, c.i.. Wink
Irishk

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:14 pm
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-03-01-danzcolor5060.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:17 pm
@msolga,
You're welcome! Trying to ask a2k members on how the UN can improve is out the realm of reality; in other words, crap!
msolga

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:23 am
@Irishk,
But what do you think the UN could/should be doing to support Syrian civilians then, irishk?
And if you believe the UN is completely hopeless (as the cartoon you posted implies) , then what other measures would you suggest? And instigated by whom, or what other organization?
What should be the response to a government which reneges on cease-fire agreements & ruthlessly massacres its own people, do you think?

I honestly don't know the answer to those questions, but I wish those of you who are critical of the UN & its response to the situation in Syria had something more than criticism & negativity to offer.
I'm genuinely baffled by some of the responses here.
What do you want instead from the UN?
Could you please spell that out?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:30 am
I have no idea what is going on in Syria, and I doubt very many non Syrians do. There is no way to know who is doing the killing, as it is just as likely to be opponents of the government as it is to be the government. Claims that it is the government are not worth spit at this point.
msolga

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're welcome! Trying to ask a2k members on how the UN can improve is out the realm of reality; in other words, crap!

I don't understand your anger, c.i. .... nor your unwillingness to engage on any meaningful level on this subject, either.

What is so shocking or terrible about suggesting that the UN undergoes reform to become a more representative, democratic, organization? Confused
... that the General Assembly (which represents all member countries in the UN) be granted more power than it currently has (practically zilch, apart from recommendations to the Security Council) & limiting the power of any one of the permanent members of the Security Council to veto resolutions?
It is the Security Council which empowers the UN to act or not act.
Why is that not a reasonable proposal, not worthy of some discussion or consideration, at the very least?

I honestly don't understand why you're so angry by what I've suggested, while at the same time unwilling to make any comment at all apart from totally negative comments about the UN as it is now.

This is really weird. Confused

msolga

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:53 am
@hawkeye10,
108 civilian deaths in Houla ... many of them children (during a ceasefire agreement) doesn't tell you something, hawkeye?
And a repeat attack in the same area in the past 24 hours?
What on earth would the rebel fighters gain from doing that, apart from alienating the general population whose support they need?
Local residents are widely reported as laying the blame on Assad's troops.
Why would they not be truthful?
msolga

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:16 am
Update:

Quote:
Syria rebels give government truce ceasefire deadline
31 May 2012 Last updated at 00:26 GMT/BBC News

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60606000/jpg/_60606003_3yl64u5e.jpg
The Free Syrian Army accuses the government of ignoring the UN-sponsored peace plan

The rebel Free Syrian Army (FSA) has given the government of President Bashar al-Assad a 48-hour deadline to observe a UN ceasefire plan.

The FSA's Colonel Qassim Saadeddine said if there was no response by Friday lunchtime the FSA would consider itself "no longer bound by the.. peace plan".

The plan calls on government forces to withdraw to barracks.

On Wednesday, UN observers confirmed the discovery of 13 shooting victims near the city of Deir el-Zour.

Col Saadeddine said in a video published online that the government must "implement an immediate ceasefire, withdraw its troops, tanks and artillery from Syrian cities and villages".

US congressman Keith Ellison tells BBC the international community has to act on Syria

"It should also allow immediate humanitarian aid to all affected areas and free all detainees... The regime should also enter into a real and serious negotiation through the United Nations to hand over power to the Syrian people," he went on.

All of these are provisions of the peace plan put forward by UN-Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan, the BBC's Jim Muir reports from neighbouring Lebanon.

The FSA is poorly armed and no match for the heavy weapons and tanks of the regime forces, our correspondent says.

But the UN has confirmed that the FSA continues to control significant parts of many towns and cities, as well as much of the countryside in some areas, he adds.

Further escalation

Speaking after a closed meeting of the UN Security Council in New York, the US ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, said a further escalation of the conflict in Syria is the likeliest scenario now, with it also spreading to other countries in the region.

"Members of this council and members of the international community are left with the option only of having to consider whether they're prepared to take actions outside of the Annan plan and the authority of this council," Ms Rice said.

Her British counterpart, Mark Lyall-Grant, said that a third element, including jihadists, was now active in Syria. He called them "spoilers".

Hopes of a new initiative over Syria have at the council have been dented by Russia and China.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said Moscow was "categorically against any outside interference in the Syrian conflict" because it would "only exacerbate the situation for both Syria and the region as a whole".

A spokesman for China's foreign ministry reiterated Beijing's opposition to military intervention in Syria or forced "regime change".

Russia's foreign ministry added in a statement that the co-ordinated series of expulsions of Syrian diplomats from Western countries in response to the killing of 108 people in Houla last week was "counterproductive".

Turkey is also expelling all Syrian diplomatic staff from Ankara, but consular staff in Istanbul will remain.

In another development, Syria's honorary consul in California, Hazem Chehabi, resigned, saying he could not continue in his post after the "barbaric" massacre in Houla.

"The president has to be responsible for the actions of his own government. Either you're committing those atrocities, and therefore you're guilty, or you're not preventing them from happening," Mr Chehabi told National Public Radio.

'Appalling and inexcusable'

The UN confirmed on Wednesday the discovery of 13 men's bodies near the eastern city of Deir al-Zour, with their hands tied behind their backs, some apparently shot in the head.

UN mission chief Maj Gen Robert Mood said he was "deeply disturbed" by the "appalling and inexcusable act".

Footage shows the bodies of men with their hands bound

Amid the reports of continuing violence, it appears Mr Annan's talks with President Bashar al-Assad and opposition figures in Damascus on Tuesday have had no immediate impact on the ground.

The UN Human Rights Council will hold a special session on Syria on Friday looking into the killings, officials said.

One of the organisations monitoring the violence, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said 65 "martyrs" had died in incidents across Syria on Wednesday.

As many as 15,000 people have been killed since the revolt against the rule of President Bashar al-Assad began in March of last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18275183
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:23 am
@msolga,
Quote:
108 civilian deaths in Houla ... many of them children (during a ceasefire agreement) doesn't tell you something, hawkeye?

It tells me that people are probably dead. It does not tell me who is the cause

Quote:
What on earth would the rebel fighters gain from doing that, apart from alienating the general population whose support they need?
We dont even know that Syrian did the killing, the could be a sunni/shia struggle where agents of say the Saudi's dress up as government troops killing a bunch of folk.

Quote:
Local residents are widely reported as laying the blame on Assad's troops
see above

Quote:
Why would they not be truthful?
they hate the government/ they have been tricked/

BTW I dont feel that the UN observers have any credibility....the UN has already picked sides, you will not get any more impartiality from the UN than we get from the Iranians...

Quote:
"If the Islamic Republic was not present in Syria, the massacre of civilians would have been twice as bad," General Ismail Qa'ani, deputy-commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' Qods Force, told Tehran's ISNA news agency.

Iran, he added, "Had physically and non-physically stopped the rebels from killing many more among the Syrian people

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4234608,00.html
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:31 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Middle Eastern politics expert Dr. Jeremy Salt says figures about numbers of deaths, even from official sources, differ too much to be reliable.
“In its report, the Human Rights Council said 4,000 [people have been killed in Syria to date]…but there was no information about where they got that figure from,” he said. “A few days later, Navi Pillay, who is the UN Human Rights Commissioner, stood up in the Security Council and said 5,000 – and the figure echoes around the world,” he told RT.

“I think it lodges in the popular imagination as 5,000 people being killed by the Syrian government – by the security forces, by the military – whatever. Whereas in fact, I don’t think there’s any doubt at all that a large number of military, of civilians have been killed by armed gangs and by defectors,” Salt explained.

http://www.rt.com/news/syrians-killed-attacks-figures-193/

Claims that those taking orders from Assad are doing all or most of the killing have yet to be substantiated.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:39 am
@msolga,
International diplomacy is always going to be sticky and slow moving. The main problem in Syria is that Assad has the backing of both Russia and Iran. The priority has to get Russia on board with sanctions etc, but it's not going smoothly.

I think the alternative is worse, the break up of the League of Nations was followed by WW2. If nothing else it gives antagonistic countries the chance to meet and talk, jaw jaw etc.

It also needs to be remembered that it was UN observers who brought the full horrors of the Houla massacre to the World's attention.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 01:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Syria: The Dangers Of One-Sided Reporting

By Russ Baker

May 28, 2012

Quote:

We know that the Syrian regime is brutal. We know that it faces an armed uprising which it is determined to crush. The opposition may be accidentally providing inaccurate information, it may be deliberately exaggerating or making things up out of whole cloth. It may be telling the truth in some or even all instances. It is also necessary to take into account other factors, like the shabiha militia, which supports the regime but has its own agenda. The bottom line is that without journalists verifying, it’s not journalism. And it’s not worth rushing to report one-sided claims under pressure to scoop the competition instead of waiting for more reliable information.

Would Western media have accepted reports from Vietnam (via entities with names like the Vietnamese People’s Human Rights Committee, or Vietnamese Network to Protect Civilians) that contained unverified and inadequately-documented or poorly-detailed reports of American atrocities? Don’t think so.

Given what is now emerging about behind-the-scenes covert involvement of outside forces in creating and stoking uprisings in other countries, don’t we need and deserve a closer look at all of this—including those very effective, neatly lettered, English-perfect signs that always catch the cameras?

The fact that many stories from Syria include a plea for “international intervention” (presumably of an armed nature) means this is not just an academic issue. Because, unless we get a handle on what is really going on, things are destined to get a lot worse.

http://whowhatwhy.com/2012/05/28/syria-dangers-of-one-sided-reporting/

My name is Russ Baker. For more than two decades I have been an investigative journalist, doing what I believe journalists are supposed to do – provide information crucial to a well-informed citizenry in democracy. Over the years, however, I have noted a growing gap between what I have uncovered and what I see reported elsewhere. I have become exasperated with what I do not hear, the questions never asked and the stories never told.

I believe this lack of thorough reporting is caused by an endemic problem in the news industry. The value structure of modern journalism is warped to emphasize deadlines and profit margins over investigation and accountability. Journalists are on tight schedules and increasingly lack the time and resources necessary to conduct thorough independent investigations. This leads to an under-critical journalistic landscape reliant on the half-truths and convenient facts of corporate and governmental sources.

The time is ripe for a better model of journalistic integrity

As per usual msogla we find you regurgitating the clap-trap which has been spoon fed you....you seem to have no critical thinking capacity what so ever.
0 Replies