The Communist Origin of the Modern Conservative Movement VI

Zardoz

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 08:44 pm
Each day the number of coronavirus cases continues to go up by the thousands. Today we have 1,183,663 cases of coronavirus, yesterday we had 1,157,782. That means that another 25,881 Americans have coronavirus today. Anyone see the curve going down? Dr Trump says drink to cups of Clorox and call him in the morning from hell.

The death toll now stands at 68,276, yesterday the death toll was 67,046. That means another 1,230 Americans died of the coronavirus today. What experts know is the official death toll for coronavirus is far lower than the number of people who actually died of coronavirus. An article in today’s paper explains that there have been 37,100 excess deaths in March and the first two weeks in April. In just one week in April there were 16,600 excess deaths than occur in an average year. These deaths will be back filled in as their cause is determined. Some cases of coronavirus in children have stopped their heart while autopsies on others coronavirus victims have shown their brain to look like swiss cheese. The disease has many effects that are not uncovered yet. The doctor who had coronavirus and committed suicide after she got better may have other side effects from the disease. They said she could not move out of her chair. I wonder if an autopsy has performed on her brain.
oralloy

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 08:47 pm
@Zardoz,
Every one of those deaths is due to the Democrats distracting the government with a frivolous impeachment for the first month of the pandemic.
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 02:44 am
@oralloy,
Wrong. And since it's a deliberate falsehood, it's a lie. Trump himself says he wouldn't have done anything differently and if there were any "delay" it would have been weaponized by the Republicans at that time. They still had the entire month of February to take action and did nothing.
oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 03:03 am
@hightor,
No falsehood. The Democrats disrupted the government for the entire first month of the pandemic.
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 04:15 am
@oralloy,
What do you mean by the "first month of the pandemic"? The WHO declared the global pandemic on March 11. Impeachment was over by the 6th of
February. Did the Republicans immediately say, "Now we can work on preparing the country for the arrival of the coronavirus" — no, they started vilifying Mitt Romney and talking about holding hearings on Hunter Biden Trump was given warnings in January and did nothing except the China travel ban, which was very porous, and ineffective because people from Europe were still being allowed in with no testing and minimal screening. You cannot provide one bit of evidence to back up your claim. Show me one Republican calling for a serious effort on a national level to gear up for the virus. Show me one Republican who condemned the impeachment hearing during the trial because it was distracting the country from the threat of the virus. No, the Democrats did not "disrupt the government for the entire first month of the pandemic." Not only is this incorrect, it is a lie — concocted by McConnell in late March and spread by Trump defenders.

Quote:

Just left the Administration briefing on Coronavirus. Bottom line: they aren’t taking this seriously enough.

Notably, no request for ANY emergency funding, which is a big mistake. Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff etc. And they need it now.

— Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) February 5, 2020

On February 5th, I sat in a meeting with top Administration officials as Senators pressed them to request emergency funding to hire staff and stockpile supplies for the coming crisis.

They said they had it covered. Didn’t need any additional funding.

What a fatal screw up. https://t.co/SGrH9q7QS7

— Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) March 30, 2020
oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 04:42 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
What do you mean by the "first month of the pandemic"?

The first media reports of COVID-19 that I know of came on December 31.

From December 31 to February 6 is a bit more than a month. But it's close enough for approximation.

hightor wrote:
Trump was given warnings in January and did nothing except the China travel ban, which was very porous, and ineffective because people from Europe were still being allowed in with no testing and minimal screening.

Mr. Trump was busy being impeached in January.

hightor wrote:
You cannot provide one bit of evidence to back up your claim.

Here is evidence that the pandemic was ongoing throughout January:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_in_January_2020

hightor wrote:
Show me one Republican calling for a serious effort on a national level to gear up for the virus. Show me one Republican who condemned the impeachment hearing during the trial because it was distracting the country from the threat of the virus.

To my knowledge there was no such condemnation. But that does not change the reality that the government was distracted by the impeachment debacle throughout the month of January.

hightor wrote:
No, the Democrats did not "disrupt the government for the entire first month of the pandemic." Not only is this incorrect, it is a lie

The Democrats had the government preoccupied with a frivolous impeachment throughout the entire month of January.

hightor wrote:
concocted by McConnell in late March and spread by Trump defenders.

I'm not Blatham. Since I do my own thinking, I don't have to wait around for other people to say something before I can say it myself.

As is typical of me, my posts on a2k were about ten days ahead of the rest of the planet.

https://able2know.org/topic/468987-876#post-6981626
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 05:19 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

The first media reports of COVID-19 that I know of came on December 31.

It's debatable when the disease actually became a "pandemic". It didn't really start spreading internationally for a while longer but I'm not in a position to declare when it actually became a true "pandemic". And neither are you.
Quote:
Mr. Trump was busy being impeached in January.

No, he wasn't "busy being impeached" as you can see from this timeline. He was busy explaining his Iran decisions, holding rallies, attending the Davos forum, addressing the march against reproductive freedom, meeting with Netanyahu etc. He had people working on his defense but there's no evidence that his normal political duties were restricted or that he was hunkered down in the White House actively working on a defense strategy.
Quote:
Here is evidence that the pandemic was ongoing throughout January:

Yes, we know that the disease was beginning to spread internationally in that timeline. But there was nothing to prevent Trump from addressing the coronavirus situation publicly and starting to prepare for the likely epidemic. Nor did this suddenly become a focus immediately after the impeachment process ended, as Murphy's twitter messages show.
Quote:
I don't play Blatham's "I think what he thinks" game.

There's no need to smear anyone else. The links you provide are from March. Show us where you recognized in January that the impeachment process was a distraction from coronavirus preparations. Show us where you said it before McConnell.
oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 05:28 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
It's debatable when the disease actually became a "pandemic". It didn't really start spreading internationally for a while longer but I'm not in a position to declare when it actually became a true "pandemic". And neither are you.

It was a pandemic from the moment it started spreading through the human population.

hightor wrote:
No, he wasn't "busy being impeached" as you can see from this timeline. He was busy explaining his Iran decisions, holding rallies, attending the Davos forum, addressing the march against reproductive freedom, meeting with Netanyahu etc. He had people working on his defense but there's no evidence that his normal political duties were restricted or that he was hunkered down in the White House actively working on a defense strategy.

Being put on trial is a massive distraction.

hightor wrote:
Show us where you said it before McConnell.

I just did. Here it is again:
https://able2know.org/topic/468987-876#post-6981626

March 20 is well before March 31.
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 06:22 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It was a pandemic from the moment it started spreading through the human population.

It was an "outbreak" first, it turned into an "epidemic" in Wuhan, but it wasn't a "pandemic" until it had spread around the world.
Quote:
An outbreak is a rapid increase in disease occurrence in a particular place and time. Outbreaks can include both infectious and non-infectious diseases, and the nearby and related cases may be called a cluster.

Some places use the term outbreak and epidemic synonymously, but an epidemic is usually much larger in scale. According to some organizations, just four linked cases of an infectious disease is enough to warrant using the term outbreak.

An epidemic is the quick expansion of a disease to a large group of people in a short amount of time and in one specific area or region. Usually, an epidemic is when an outbreak expands into a wider population of people.

A pandemic is when a disease epidemic spreads much farther from the initial origin, usually into multiple countries and/or continents.

Is the new coronavirus considered a pandemic?

The Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has now spread to at least 28 different countries. However, for the most part, all instances of the Wuhan coronavirus in countries other than China are few and contained, so most experts do not yet consider it to be a pandemic. A pandemic might be confirmed if more countries experience epidemic-sized occurrences each.

Though the Wuhan coronavirus is not currently a pandemic,[as of February 9] the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a global health emergency, while still identifying it as an epidemic in mainland China, particularly around the Hubei province.

source (Feb 9)

Quote:

March 20 is well before March 31.

You and cj both were making the point before McConnell, I'll grant you that. But that was in March. You said nothing about it in January, February, or the first half of March, yet you claim to have been well aware of the seriousness of the pandemic in January. So why weren't you criticizing the impeachment process as a distraction from the pandemic before, in January or February?

The only reason people started using the "distraction" excuse is because it was becoming clear by March that Trump had botched the response.
oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 08:01 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
you claim to have been well aware of the seriousness of the pandemic in January.

What I am claiming is that the Democrats disrupted the government in January and thereby impeded the government's response to the pandemic.

hightor wrote:
The only reason people started using the "distraction" excuse is because it was becoming clear by March that Trump had botched the response.

Democrats are falsely accusing him of botching the response in order to distract from their role in making the pandemic worse.
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 08:23 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What I am claiming is that the Democrats disrupted the government in January and thereby impeded the government's response to the pandemic.

Okay. What I'm saying is that nothing in the record shows that the impeachment proceedings prevented the administration from recognizing the problem early on and seriously addressing it. Trump's legal team was obviously involved in the defense strategy but I think it's a stretch to claim that the whole administration was paralyzed, especially as Republicans always knew they had the votes in the Senate to prevent conviction. Presidents often have to deal with multiple issues which occur simultaneously and I see no reason that a pandemic response team couldn't have been put to work much earlier. The president could have effectively used that against the Democrats at the time, much the way he used the military action in Iran earlier in the month.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 08:49 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Presidents often have to deal with multiple issues which occur simultaneously and I see no reason that a pandemic response team couldn't have been put to work much earlier.

Trump formed his task force on Jan 29th, how much earlier should he have formed it? How about before mid January when the WHO announced that there was no human to human transmission? How about in December when Taiwan first announced they had cases of human to human transmission but were ignored by the WHO because they were only taking orders from China? At which point should Trump have acted quicker? What were the early claims from China and WHO?
oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 09:11 am
@hightor,
I can only assume that you've never been on trial. Neither have I. But I understand that being put on trial is a massive distraction. It cannot help but be the entire focus of the person who is on trial.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 09:13 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
yet you claim to have been well aware of the seriousness of the pandemic in January.

For the record, February 24 was when I first understood what was about to happen to the world. It was clear from the outbreaks in Italy and South Korea that all efforts to contain the virus locally in China had just failed. And it was therefore only a matter of time before the virus would be everywhere.

Over the next week I loaded up on food, bought some of the last not-overpriced N95 masks for sale on the internet, and early-voted in the Michigan primary. I haven't left home since March 3.

Two months later, I'm finally almost out of food. I've been eating canned soup and ravioli for awhile now, but supplies are running low. So sometime this week I'll be using one of my N95 masks and making my first grocery run of the pandemic.

I'm looking forward to a reliable antibody test though, along with reliable information as to whether people who've had it are immune.

I attended a symphony orchestra on February 2nd. About ten days later I had a cold with a high fever. It lasted only for 12 hours. I didn't take my temperature, but the fever was high enough that I crawled under a thick goose-down comforter and was still shivering.

I'm wondering if I might have already had COVID-19 and didn't even know it. I discounted the possibility at first since it seemed too early. But now there have been reports that it was spreading from China even before the media first reported the story on New Years Eve. So maybe I'm already free and clear.
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 10:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

For the record, February 24 was when I first understood what was about to happen to the world.

Yup, there's just no way to know without really understanding the particular attributes of the new virus. And both governments and public health authorities are loath to incite a panic as they scramble to learn more.
Quote:
I attended a symphony orchestra on February 2nd.

What was the program?
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 10:47 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
I see no reason that a pandemic response team couldn't have been put to work much earlier.

It might have been more effective if they hadn't had to start at square one. What if they'd already had a plan for a pandemic response? What if the machinery were already in place and PPE supplies were stockpiled, ready to be delivered to hospitals?

Quote:
[Jan 31] The epidemic control efforts unfolding today in China—including placing some 100 million citizens on lockdown, shutting down a national holiday, building enormous quarantine hospitals in days’ time, and ramping up 24-hour manufacturing of medical equipment—are indeed gargantuan. It’s impossible to watch them without wondering, “What would we do? How would my government respond if this virus spread across my country?”

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

When Ebola broke out in West Africa in 2014, President Barack Obama recognized that responding to the outbreak overseas, while also protecting Americans at home, involved multiple U.S. government departments and agencies, none of which were speaking to one another. Basically, the U.S. pandemic infrastructure was an enormous orchestra full of talented, egotistical players, each jockeying for solos and fame, refusing to rehearse, and demanding higher salaries—all without a conductor. To bring order and harmony to the chaos, rein in the agency egos, and create a coherent multiagency response overseas and on the homefront, Obama anointed a former vice presidential staffer, Ronald Klain, as a sort of “epidemic czar” inside the White House, clearly stipulated the roles and budgets of various agencies, and placed incident commanders in charge in each Ebola-hit country and inside the United States. The orchestra may have still had its off-key instruments, but it played the same tune.

Building on the Ebola experience, the Obama administration set up a permanent epidemic monitoring and command group inside the White House National Security Council (NSC) and another in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)—both of which followed the scientific and public health leads of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the diplomatic advice of the State Department.

On the domestic front, the real business of assuring public health and safety is a local matter, executed by state, county, and city departments that operate under a mosaic of laws and regulations that vary jurisdiction by jurisdiction. Some massive cities, such as New York City or Boston, have large budgets, clear regulations, and epidemic experiences that have left deep benches of medical and public health talent. But much of the United States is less fortunate on the local level, struggling with underfunded agencies, understaffing, and no genuine epidemic experience. Large and small, America’s localities rely in times of public health crisis on the federal government.

Bureaucracy matters. Without it, there’s nothing to coherently manage an alphabet soup of agencies housed in departments ranging from Defense to Commerce, Homeland Security to Health and Human Services (HHS).

But that’s all gone now.

In the spring of 2018, the White House pushed Congress to cut funding for Obama-era disease security programs, proposing to eliminate $252 million in previously committed resources for rebuilding health systems in Ebola-ravaged Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. Under fire from both sides of the aisle, President Donald Trump dropped the proposal to eliminate Ebola funds a month later. But other White House efforts included reducing $15 billion in national health spending and cutting the global disease-fighting operational budgets of the CDC, NSC, DHS, and HHS. And the government’s $30 million Complex Crises Fund was eliminated.

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.

Public health advocates have been ringing alarm bells to no avail. Klain has been warning for two years that the United States was in grave danger should a pandemic emerge. In 2017 and 2018, the philanthropist billionaire Bill Gates met repeatedly with Bolton and his predecessor, H.R. McMaster, warning that ongoing cuts to the global health disease infrastructure would render the United States vulnerable to, as he put it, the “significant probability of a large and lethal modern-day pandemic occurring in our lifetimes.” And an independent, bipartisan panel formed by the Center for Strategic and International Studies concluded that lack of preparedness was so acute in the Trump administration that the “United States must either pay now and gain protection and security or wait for the next epidemic and pay a much greater price in human and economic costs.”

The next epidemic is now here; we’ll soon know the costs imposed by the Trump administration’s early negligence and present panic. On Jan. 29, Trump announced the creation of the President’s Coronavirus Task Force, an all-male group [ten more people have been added, including some women] of a dozen advisors, five from the White House staff. Chaired by Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar, the task force includes men from the CDC, State Department, DHS, the Office of Management and Budget, and the Transportation Department. It’s not clear how this task force will function or when it will even convene.

In the absence of a formal structure, the government has resorted to improvisation. In practical terms, the U.S. government’s public health effort is led by Daniel Jernigan, the incident commander for the Wuhan coronavirus response at the CDC. Jernigan is responsible for convening meetings of the nation’s state health commissioners and briefing CDC Director Robert Redfield and his boss, Azar. Meanwhile, state-level health leaders told me that they have been sharing information with one another and deciding how best to prepare their medical and public health workers without waiting for instructions from federal leadership. The most important federal program for local medical worker and hospital epidemic training, however, will run out of money in May, as Congress has failed to vote on its funding. The HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) is the bulwark between hospitals and health departments versus pandemic threats; last year HHS requested $2.58 billion, but Congress did not act.

(...)

foreignpolicy

Trump deserves much of the blame because of his dismissive attitude toward government and his obsession with undoing everything done by the previous administration.

Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 11:41 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It might have been more effective if they hadn't had to start at square one. What if they'd already had a plan for a pandemic response? What if the machinery were already in place and PPE supplies were stockpiled, ready to be delivered to hospitals?

So instead of answering the question, you are going to dodge to more opinion pieces that are not even being honest about what actually took place? China lied and WHO repeated those lies for 2 weeks and ignored Taiwan who was reporting human to human cases as early as late Dec and early Jan, if not longer as we are starting to find out, and you want to talk about Trump reorganizing the CDC to be more efficient back in 2018? This just goes to show you are interested in the truth about the virus, you are looking to bring Trump down. I'm not surprised to see people like you and Zardoz toting the Chinese Communist Party line, after all your political ideology seems to agree with theirs over the US Constitution on most subjects.

Quote:
Trump deserves much of the blame because of his dismissive attitude toward government and his obsession with undoing everything done by the previous administration.

No he doesn't, much of the blame belongs on China and WHO. WHO ignored Taiwan and their warnings about the virus in favor of China, they repeated Chinese propaganda and delayed the worlds response to the virus, at the same time they were stockpiling medical supplies and screwing over the rest of the world. The WHO even went as far as to not even acknowledge Taiwan when questioned about their response, the WHO official disconnected the call and when they came back online they said China had done a wonderful job on it's virus response... so yes, the blame falls squarly on China and WHO, our response to the virus hasn't been much different than any other countries, unless you think welding doors closed to apartments and houses, like China did, is the way to respond to the virus.

I'll point out again, you will blame Trump for not shutting down the country but in the same breath turn around and claim he doesn't have the authority to open the country back up. Forever speaking out of both sides of your mouth.
hightor

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 01:32 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
So instead of answering the question...

I said the government should have already had a plan in place and an agency to put it into practice.

Quote:
...and you want to talk about Trump reorganizing the CDC to be more efficient back in 2018?

Yes. Because a pre-existing pandemic response plan should have been in place already.

Quote:
This just goes to show you are interested in the truth about the virus, you are looking to bring Trump down.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, I am interested in the truth about the virus (both the biological and the political) and yes, I do hope Trump loses his job because his response to the pandemic has been incompetent and his attitude toward government in general is ill-suited to the world we live in.

foreignpolicy.com wrote:
But other White House efforts included reducing $15 billion in national health spending and cutting the global disease-fighting operational budgets of the CDC, NSC, DHS, and HHS. And the government’s $30 million Complex Crises Fund was eliminated.

Had the agencies already been set up and ready to go with a strategic plan and had open lines of communication existed with the Chinese medical community we'd have been much further ahead.

Quote:
I'm not surprised to see people like you ... toting the Chinese Communist Party line

And where have I done that? I haven't defended Chinese duplicity in regard to this epidemic (check the link at the bottom of the post); I have credited them for eventually taking the steps needed to halt the spread of the virus which seem to have worked — for them. But that's hardly "toting the Chinese Communist Party line" — you just make this stuff up. And, by the way, the phrase is "toeing the line".

Quote:
I'll point out again, you will blame Trump for not shutting down the country but in the same breath turn around and claim he doesn't have the authority to open the country back up. Forever speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

Where have I blamed Trump for "not shutting down the country"? I blame him for the climate of hostility between the USA and China, I blame him for pursuing a unilateral approach to problems which are by nature global, and I blame him for cutting spending on government agencies and departments which could have taken the lead by preparing for this sort of emergency before it happened.

And where have I claimed "he doesn't have the authority to open the country back up"? Where do you come up with this crap? For christ's sake, Baldimo, you come swaggering into a thread with your "take no prisoners" attitude but there's no substance to your arguments. I'm supposedly "speaking out of both sides of my mouth" ("forever" at that!) yet I haven't brought up either of those topics! I answer your questions and I provide sourced articles by people who know more than we do about the subjects under discussion. You, in turn, hurl accusations based on nothing more than ideologically-based tropes such as red-baiting.

As the deadly coronavirus began to spread, Beijing wasted the most critical resource to fight it: trust.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 02:41 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I said the government should have already had a plan and an agency to put it into practice.

That's just a Monday morning quarterback answer and no real answer at all.

Quote:
Yes. Because a pre-existing pandemic response plan should have been in place already.

Was there already a plan in place at the time they were fired and the group reorganized? So what you are saying is that we should have had a plan in place for an event that no one knew was going to happen? You are one of those who continue to talk about the virus like we don't know anything about it, yet we should have had a plan in place.... do you hear yourself?

Quote:
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, I am interested in the truth about the virus (the biological and the political) and yes, I do hope Trump loses his job because his response to the pandemic has been incompetent and

You aren't interested in the truth, you are interested in propaganda you can use against Trump. If you were interested in the truth, you would have a problem with how the US was lied to for about a month while the virus spread around the world and WHO spread Chinese govt lies about the virus. Instead you are only concerned with how you can turn this against the president during an election year,

Quote:
his attitude toward government in general is ill-suited to the world we live in.

You mean the wanna be world of socialism and big govt?

Quote:
Had the agencies already been set up and ready to go with a strategic plan and had open lines of communication existed with the Chinese medical community we'd have been much further ahead.

Yeah, keep blaming the US for China lying for over a month about the virus. China wasn't going to be honest as we now suspect the virus escaped from the lab in Wuhan, which I've been saying since it first was reported on the news, and then lied and covered up the escape by trying to claim the virus came from bats at the wet market. The medical community in China has zero intention of being honest with the rest of the world and you continue to spout their propaganda and not blame China.

Quote:
And where have I done that? I haven't defended Chinese duplicity in regard to this epidemic (check the link at the bottom of the post);

But you did exactly that above when you claimed it was our fault the chinese medical community didn't have an open line with us. You aren't blaming China and their secretive ways or the way they manipulate their media to only report what the govt tells them too. Yes, you are indeed defending China and their duplicity.

Quote:
I have credited them for eventually taking the steps needed to halt the spread of the virus which seem to have worked — for them.

Yeah, you credited them with physically locking people in their homes until they starved. Is that what you wanted Trump to do?

Quote:
But that's hardly "toting the Chinese Communist Party line" — you just make this stuff up. And, by the way, the phrase is "toeing the line".

Yes, that's exactly what you are doing when you think China did no wrong and the US did everything wrong.

Quote:
Where have I blamed Trump for "not shutting down the country"?

So you think he did the right thing in not overstepping his power and forcing a nation side shutdown?

Quote:
I blame him for the climate of hostility between the USA and China,

You would be wrong again, he has been forcing them to play on fair grounds in relation to trade and intellictual property in international trade. Why do you always take sides against the US? I guess you were happy with US companies sending US labor over the China and then China stealing US companies ideas? Don't you think it's funny how China's space shuttle looks exactly like ours... yeah, they don't create anything, they steal and reverse engineer. But your a communist and you support such moves on the economy, after all why should just a couple of people prosper from an idea when the whole country can share in the joy... workers of the world unite.

Quote:
And where have I claimed "he doesn't have the authority to open the country back up"? Where do you come up with this crap? For christ's sake, Baldimo, you come swaggering into a thread with your "take no prisoners" attitude but there's no substance to your arguments.

I'm playing the same game you let Zardoz play, why should I have to back anything I say?

Quote:
I'm supposedly "speaking out of both sides of my mouth" ("forever" at that!)

Yep, do you need a definition of what it means? You and Zardoz are both guilty of this.

Quote:
I answer your questions and I provide sourced articles by people who know more than we do about the subjects under discussion. You, in turn, hurl accusations based on nothing more than ideologically-based tropes such as red-baiting.

You don't answer any questions, you interject into discussions with Zardoz in an attempt to distract from the stupid **** he posts. You demand links and sources from everyone yet nothing from Zardoz on his claims. I've brought this up several times in the last couple of weeks and you keep proving me correct by running interference for Zardoz. Until you hold him to the same standard I'll continue to "hold no prisoners".

Trump starts a pandemic task force and the media and left scream that it isn't diverse enough:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-diversity-obama/index.html

oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 07:07 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
What was the program?

Sir Arthur Sullivan: Overture to the Pirates of Penzance
Emmanuel Sejourne: Concerto pour vibraphone et orchestre a cordes
Mitch Leigh: "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha
Ney Rosauro: Concerto for Marimba and String Orchestra
Aram Khachaturian: Masquerade Suite

There were some accent marks over some of those letters that I didn't bother to find the appropriate keyboard code for.

The concert was performed by students pursuing a college degree in music. As part of their coursework they put on a few public concerts a year. I imagine that a lot of their education involves rehearsing for these public concerts. There are a few older guys in the orchestra too. I presume that they are the music professors.

"Masquerade Waltz" and "Man of La Mancha" come up as figure skating music now and then.

"Man of La Mancha" was also theme music for John Wick 3. I gather that it's about Don Quixote.

I didn't pay any attention to the nationalities of the performers. But if there happened to be a student from China, that would explain how I could have contracted Covid-19 in Michigan on February 2nd. I didn't get close enough to any of the performers for airborne transmission, but I entered the building through the same doors that they did, and had to touch the doors to open them.
0 Replies