Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 12:59 pm
@Setanta,
they simply misunderestimated it...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 01:38 pm
from yahoo...

"Lindsey Wilson, 26, said that after sitting for hours on a stranded city bus, she joined other passengers who tried to walk off the road. She made it about 100 feet before she couldn't see anything around her, including the bus she'd just left. Fearing she would be swallowed by mounting snowdrifts, Wilson turned back and spent the night on the bus."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110202/ap_on_re_us/us_winter_weather
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 02:38 pm
Snow forecast to reach Houston Thursday afternoon. They say it will stick on the roads. This will be major for us, because we are not prepared for sustained freezes and icy roads. Hopefully, the predictors will be wrong about it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:30 pm
We need a week without rain or snow or sleet. Sunshine and a little wind would help as well.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:41 pm
@sublime1,
sublime1 wrote:

Third biggest snowfall in recorded history, my company actually stopped deliveries for tomorrow. First time they have done so in the 13 years I have been there. 20" at O'Hare and 70 mph gusts recorded. Happy to be watching it from my window...

That's right, sublime, it was only the third biggest. Joefromchicago and I experienced the NUMBER ONE Chicago snowstorm back in 1967. Where were you and Gargamel in 1967???

Izzie

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:11 pm
@wandeljw,
some photos from across the US - WOWOW

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/02/02/captured-huge-winter-storm-moves-across-the-us/2658/

still haven't heard from JPB.... joeSQURL, mebbe if you get a chance can you ring her cell to find out if they're doing alright. Gotta feeling their power may be out.

jw - sorry to hear about your wifes Mom, I hope she will improve - must be hard for you guys to have her away from you right now. ((JW&Annie) - have you heard from the big Kidz - are they all alright?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:12 pm
It is getting even colder in Albuquerque. The furnace has been going non-stop. This month's heating bill is going to skyrocket.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs272.snc6/180066_10150384488760214_748555213_17137971_5310638_n.jpg
sublime1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:18 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

sublime1 wrote:

Third biggest snowfall in recorded history, my company actually stopped deliveries for tomorrow. First time they have done so in the 13 years I have been there. 20" at O'Hare and 70 mph gusts recorded. Happy to be watching it from my window...

That's right, sublime, it was only the third biggest. Joefromchicago and I experienced the NUMBER ONE Chicago snowstorm back in 1967. Where were you and Gargamel in 1967???

If you believe in reincarnation I was probably an old man.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
<since I had my surgery been having the heating on 24/7 at 20 deg C - gas tanks have been filled twice now - ah well, keeping warm at least - arctic weather coming back here in a couple weeks, so they say <ahem...cough>
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:39 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

sublime1 wrote:

Swimmin' around in my dad's scrote.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:32 pm
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/TUi2Zgkk0qI/AAAAAAAARXM/wiZjkK8CuGA/s1600/weather.jpg

I found the problem Set, according to America meterologists, the snow will stop at the border. No more snow for you... Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:34 pm
@Ceili,
haha! I love that!

I'm going to send that to Envt Canada - no more snow for us - forget the forecast for snow on Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Geez - how far off normal January temps is this for Albuquerque?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:43 pm
When all of this artic weather comes blowing down from up North, does the far North get a respite for a short while?

I'm imagining weather like a big blanket (in this case a very icy cold one). If it gets pulled down to the the bottom of the bed, does the head of the bed warm up a bit?
Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 08:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I live on the 53rd latitude, at the moment we are 6C - 42F, yesterday it was -10/14F and the day before -26C/-14F. So, yes, we finally got a break. We call it a Chinook (wind), warm weather blowing over the Rockies from the West coast. Mind you the west coast is now being hit with a bit of cold and on the weather forecast tonight it said we are about to sink again.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 08:21 pm
Yeah, Finn, it does. I don't think the mechanism behind it is QUITE the same as your blanket, but it does. Last year Juneau had a brown Christmas while ours was white, and when I checked Alaskan weather a couple weeks ago, people were bitching because it was too warm. Sheesh.

Normally the Jet Stream winds circle the Arctic Circle fairly smoothly, which keeps the Arctic winds sort of bottled up, but every so often it develops kinks, which let cold winds blow south and pulls warmer southern winds farther north. That's what's happened last year and this.

Some climatologists suspect a link to global warming, since the waters of the Bering Sea and the Arctic Ocean are getting warmer, .like the rest of the oceans, and that pushes the jet stream south.
http://summitcountyvoice.com/2010/10/24/warming-arctic-pushing-jet-stream-farther-south/
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 08:32 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I live on the 53rd latitude, at the moment we are 6C - 42F, yesterday it was -10/14F and the day before -26C/-14F. So, yes, we finally got a break. We call it a Chinook (wind), warm weather blowing over the Rockies from the West coast. Mind you the west coast is now being hit with a bit of cold and on the weather forecast tonight it said we are about to sink again.

It is many years now since I lived in Calgary, but I do remember and miss those chinooks. I still remember the first time I experienced one. Smile
Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:10 pm
@Intrepid,
I'm in Edmonton, so ours aren't as warm or as frequent as Calgary's. I do love them though.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:50 pm
It is currently -8F degrees with a wind chill of -21F.

Finn, you asked about historical data:

This graph shows daily and monthly averages for ABQ:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/87120

In January/February, averages highs range between 48 and 55, average lows range between 24 and 28.