SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011!!!!

plainoldme

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:41 pm
I was caught in a major traffic jam after work and moved three miles in 40 minutes. then I did some grocery shopping and headed home well after dark. About 25 miles from home, I noticed a flash to the north of the Mass Pike. I didn't hear thunder, so I wondered whether the flash was an explosion. However, the flashing continued, but seem localized. Then hail fell. Whatever caused the flashing, it seemed to be localized to north of the Pike and east of 91.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 01:37 am
Lotsa rolling thunder and bolts of lightning in Boston about 7:30=8:00, then ten minutes of heavy rain, then drizzle after that--probably pom's storm moving east, or the eastern edge of it, the rain was actually MELTING THE DAMNED DIRTY, GRUBBY SNOW PILES. FINALLY!!! Maybe they won't last until June before they finally melt after all. The O's toes should be out of danger now, pom.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:02 pm
Now the grubby, chunky snow piles have a dusting of white on them. It's not enough to cover the dark, though. ...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 08:58 pm
Another Friday night another rocky drive home. Rec'd a phone call while I was in the supermarket parking lot which delayed my departure by 30 mins. Had to pull of the Pike. The combination of my poor eyesight and the snow made visibility slightly above zero.
jespah

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 07:47 am
@plainoldme,
Glad you're okay. Looks like we mainly just got another frosting over the piles, but we're supposed to get another 1 - 3" or so, I think on Sunday.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 06:07 pm
@jespah,
The Sunday snow doesn't sound that bad to me. It's the Monday freezing rain and sleet that has me worried.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 10:13 am
It's a bit after 11 am, EST. It snowed during the night and into the morning. When I went downstairs this morning, I was disappointed to see that opening my back door swept snow away. Grrr. That means I will have to shovel, although, perhaps, I can get away with some sweeping. I had hoped for an inch so that I could ignore it.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:55 pm
two words...

firkin hail.

spring has sprung.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:59 pm
50 mph winds in NM at the moment. We're supposed to get a few inches of snow tonight to go along with the winds.

Things are so dry all over the state, there is great worry about the fire danger the high winds bring.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 02:07 pm
We were threatened with blizzards at the end of the week. Nothing materiliazed. Then, last night, we got hit with about 8" of snow. Right now, the temperature is hovering around freezing, so the snow is turning to slush. How charming.
jespah

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 02:58 pm
@Setanta,
RP says we got about 3" here this morning.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:51 pm
The mountains outside my back door got a dusting of snow overnight ... never seen that before. It's all gone now, of course.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
That is what is headed our way tonight. Heard AZ had quite a bit of wind too.

Quote:

By WEATHER UNDERGROUND
The Associated Press
Sunday, February 27, 2011; 4:53 AM

-- Very active weather will persist in the West on Sunday as a bitterly cold Arctic storm moves through the Southwest and into the Plains. The same storm brought record-breaking minimum cold temperatures to parts of California on Saturday.

Winter weather advisories and winter storm warnings are in effect for many parts of Arizona above a few thousand feet as several inches of new snow are expected. The snowfall will make travel difficult as drivers should exercise caution.

Snow also will push into Colorado and New Mexico, but the biggest story in New Mexico will be the wind this storm produces. High wind watches are in effect for much of New Mexico as winds gust up to 70 mph and limit visibility as it blows around newly fallen snow.

In the Northeast, bands of snow will move through New England, leaving dry conditions by the end of the day. Late in the day, rain and possibly some snow will shift into the Upper Mississippi Valley and Ohio Valley.

Temperatures in the Northeast will rise into the 20s and 30s, while the Southeast will see readings in the 70s and some 80s. The Northern Plains will rise into the 10s and 20s, while the Northwest will see 20s and 30s. Temperatures in the lower 48 states ranged Saturday from a morning low of -36 degrees at Wolf Point, Mont., to 86 degrees at Edinburg, Texas.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 04:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, re wind, March is here early..
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 04:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
We got a lot of rain in the early morning hours, but evidently not enough (surprisingly) to cancel the soccer tournament my son is playing in. When we left out the door to go to his first game this morning, he told me there was snow on the mountains -- I didn't believe him. But, indeed there was.

It hasn't been windy here today, and wasn't this morning ... but maybe other parts of the state got the wind.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 04:57 pm
Just saw this note from my brother in northern Vt.

Quote:
It started snowing just before noon yesterday and has just now finally stopped. The sun is actually tryiing to break through. We spent the last two and a half hours digging out and it looks like the final tally will be 27".
littlek

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 06:00 pm
@JPB,
And we got a good amount of rain. Most of the last 36 hours was above freezing. It started getting colder mid day today. We had some flood warnings, but nothing seemed to break over banks (where I am). Yesterday a foot tall mound of crispy snow in my yard melted within hours.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 06:23 pm
I'm sorry, but this thread is reserved for snow-related posts. All rain-related posts should be directed to the Rainpocalypse 2011!!!! thread.
littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
Well then, hopefully you won't seeing me back here until next year!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:14 pm
Wow...snow explosion...
http://lolsnaps.com/upload_pic/3176.gif