SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011!!!!

Irishk

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 01:07 am
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/4/2011/02/beec0a6b0b5b7cbf7cc9ce48dfb54817/340x.gif
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 04:54 am
@Irishk,

http://www.popularwealth.com/funny-pictures/doorway-snow.jpg
Fido

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:24 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

the extent of this storm

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/uploadnewstorm/feb2_storm_noaa.jpg

amazing
That looks just like my drive way... I shovelled a lot of snow yesterday... I am still the man... And I got the right guy for the job... A couple of teenage girls walked by with shovels on their shoulders when I was about too tuckered out to move, and I asked if they wanted some work... It might have been the snotsickle hanging off the end of my nose, but they only looked at me like I was from another planet and kept on walking..
Fido

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:26 am
@Region Philbis,
Does anyone mean sorry, Boss when they say: Sorry Boss??? Saying sorry to your boss is like say eff A You to anyone else...
Fido

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:30 am
@Irishk,
Snowarrhia
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:36 am
@Fido,

i spoze you could mean it if you take their job...
jespah

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:55 am
@Region Philbis,
Today's task: making sure the car is cleared enough to move it backwards for m'boss to get in our driveway tomorrow. Estimated time: 1 hr or so.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 07:08 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i spoze you could mean it if you take their job...
The boss always has a boss so he is like a man with an ass on either end of his body because to have any sustenance at all he has to eat ****... What is the big thrill in saying: I am de Boss???... The grunts have the best racket... Just do your job and go home... One of the best bosses I ever had on the human being scale was not too sharp on the scale of Ironwork; but he had the sense, when he screwed up, to ask the men what they thought we should do now... If more of them had to sense to not be two bit tyrants, and keep a working democracy, to keep an open door to new ideas, encourage innovation, and help the help toward a common goal, this would be a better world by far... Too many bosses deserve all the crap they get.... Too many people have more ambition than intelligence... I hope I never actually have to work for my daily bread again, and If I do I hope I never have to be the boss...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 08:59 am
HERE!!!!! We lost power around midnight Wednesday and got it back around 3:00am this morning. 24" here with waist high drifts. One car is shoveled out. It may be Sunday before we get the rest of the driveway cleared and the cars out of the garage. 5 below this morning with highs only expected to be in the single digits.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 09:07 am
@Fido,
Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 09:08 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks

Big difference.

Stay warm!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 09:09 am
@Irishk,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 09:09 am
@Region Philbis,
Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 10:06 am
@JPB,
Wow!! By "midnight Wednesday" do you mean you had no power for about 3 hours or for about 27 hours?

Hope it was the shorter outage and that you stayed warm -- if it was the longer outage, how did you handle things?

Waist-high drifts, wow!!

I'm seeing some amazing pics from Chicago friends.
Irishk

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 10:11 am
@Region Philbis,
This happened yesterday, apparently. No idea how. Geek squad trying to parallel park?
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/02/500x_179658_126479244086904_120392064695622_158273_6762534_n.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 10:16 am
@sozobe,

We woke up at 6:30 to no power - heard from a neighbor that it went out around midnight. Fortunately, I have a gas stove for cooking so I was able to boil water for coffee, make soup for lunch, etc. I cleared out both freezers and put everything outside on the front stoop.

The biggest problem for us is that without power we don't have water. I'd filled a couple buckets for flushing, but when we got an estimate from ComEd that we'd be out until Friday am (they were wrong, thank goodness) we started melting snow to refill the buckets.

I ran two burners on the stove full blast all day. The kitchen was quite toasty and the rest of the house stayed in the 50s. We shut them off around 9:00 and went to bed. Mr B heard the furnace kick in around 3:00 this morning. He went downstairs to check on lights/etc., and said that the thermostat read 47 in the dining room. We were bundled under extra blankets and were fine.

We were a bit concerned about burst pipes if we couldn't get power back on today, but it's on and the water is running in the upstairs bath (over the garage and first pipe to freeze).
sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 10:20 am
@JPB,
Oh my!

It's the best feeling when the power comes back ON.

I don't quite know how 47 degrees manages to be a fairly warm day outside and absolutely bone-chillingly intolerable inside. But it does. (We spent a lot of time wrapped in down comforters during our power outages. We came SO CLOSE this time -- people within a few blocks had no power -- but barely squeaked by.)
Izzie

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 10:31 am
@JPB,
So good to hear from you - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! (((((JPB))))))) x
JPB

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 10:46 am
@Izzie,
Thanku! We're fine. Coulda been a lot worse and there are plenty of folks who suffered through much more than we did. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have gas for cooking though. We have a gas log in the upstairs fireplace that we never use. Probably would have cranked that up and hovered in the LR.

I see that the official total is 20.5" at Ohare. Antioch got 27" and we're about halfway between them in both location and snowfall.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 11:08 am
back in the day I had some acreage about 5 miles east of colorado mtn town of GeorgeTown. about 100 yds from the rear of my house ran Clear Creek a stream, about 15 ft wide x 1 ft deep. In severe cold the creek would freeze into ice dams pushing the water up the bank nearing the house. we would use 1/4 sticks of 40% dynamite 4 or 5 times a day to blast channels in the ice dams to prevent water/ice destroying the foundation of our house. worked pretty well. I don't suppose an ordinary person can buy 40% dynamite these days.