SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011!!!!

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:22 am
IT'S SNOWMAGGEDON!! A SNOWTASTROPHE!

Really, it's serious. Illinois has been declared a weather disaster area in advance of the storm, which is just as well, since it's already an economic disaster area. Even Chicagoans, who are used to a bit of snow, are getting edgy.
Quote:
There has been no easing at all in the forecast of a major blizzard hitting northern Illinois and Northwest Indiana starting this afternoon. If anything, the situation appears more dire than it did 24 hours ago.

The National Weather Service continues to describe the storm as "potentially life-threatening" for those who might get caught outside and advised that final preparations for it should be completed this morning.

A blizzard warning of 24 hours duration includes the likelihood of snowfalls of up to 20 inches and in some places even more, wind gusts of up to 60 mph creating whiteout conditions making travel nearly impossible, lakefront flooding and perhaps prolonged power outages.

How are you dealing with the imminent snownami? How much milk, bread, and toilet paper do you plan on buying when you run out to the store? If you're hunkering down, what's your favorite way to hunker? If you will be braving the elements, where would we find you on the periodic table?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 29 • Views: 13,280 • Replies: 189

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:27 am
We're only threatened with 12" to 18" . . . not much fun there. We're reasonably well stocked up, and there is a supermarket three long blocks away. However, we are sufficiently well stocked that it won't be a problem for a while.

Chicago . . . Chicago . . . is that a place where you get snow from time to time?
George

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:29 am
I may have to relocate previously shoveled snow to make room for the new
shipment. I'll bet French Toast ingredients are already off the shelves.
(Well, maybe there's still some vanilla extract.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
However, we are sufficiently well stocked that it won't be a problem for a while.

mushrooms! I need to go get some mushrooms!
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:36 am
@ehBeth,
Joe didn't ask about drugs . . .
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:39 am
I plan on dealing with this crisis in the only way I know how: by adding "snow" to as many words as I can. For instance, I plan on taking a snowcation from work if it gets too bad, sit in my Snow-Z-Boy recliner and drink a nice, hot cup of snowcoa while the brave lads from the Streets and Snownitation Department clear the streets with their weather plows. This is how I cope.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:41 am
@joefromchicago,
woke up to freakin' snow here in Albaturkey forecast for more snow and tomorrow night temps of MINUS 8. I will probably spend the day watching re-runs of Hogan's Hero's on the telly.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:01 am
@joefromchicago,
Here in NH they're predicting about 2 feet, so there's a lot of hand-wringing and worry for today, but only a day after it stops it'll be like it never happened, the roads will be clear and nobody will even remember it a week from now.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Setanta wrote:
However, we are sufficiently well stocked that it won't be a problem for a while.

mushrooms! I need to go get some mushrooms!
I hope there is a little bit of magic in them thar mushrooms for you...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:13 am
Dallas has just about shut down completely.

There are thick layers of ice on every road surface, and the only way we get rid of ice on the roads here is with the Sun and rising temperatures. Forecast says it's only going to get colder.

Weather is playing havoc with Superbowl activities, and losing a lot of people, a lot of money.

Mike & Mike of ESPN did their morning broadcast from Fort Worth...outside!

They seemed to be sitting in some sort of shed made out of plastic sheets, but that could only have cut down the wind. I'm sure they had space heaters but Greenberg looked like he was absolutely miserable.

I'd much rather deal with snow than ice, and I'm not going to even try to drive today. I don't think it's going to be any better tomorrow.

I'll be at my computer all day alternating between work and play.
Fido

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:14 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I plan on dealing with this crisis in the only way I know how: by adding "snow" to as many words as I can. For instance, I plan on taking a snowcation from work if it gets too bad, sit in my Snow-Z-Boy recliner and drink a nice, hot cup of snowcoa while the brave lads from the Streets and Snownitation Department clear the streets with their weather plows. This is how I cope.
I guess that really is the windy city, and you clearly take the snowcone cake....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:16 am
@joefromchicago,
I was so nervous when I heard that I emptied the shelves at the local store yesterday and I'm well east of Chicago.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:08 pm
@joefromchicago,
I heard that the National Guard has already been activated.
Izzie

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:40 pm
@JPB,
SnnnnnnnnOhhhhhhhh my good grief Shocked

Maaaaaaaaaaan...

Thinking of y'all

Please do keep us posted if you can, no news in the UK at all about what's going on

more importantly, do take good care everyone ...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:22 pm
I had trouble opening my back door as there were 8 inches of snow at 1:00 pm. I shoveled for an hour, first in back and then in front.

When I got down to the end of my front walk, I turned around. My yard is basically to the side of the house and the snow is level with the front porch, or more than 3 feet deep. That isn't counting the drifts.

I'm supposed to go to work tonight, at the liquor store, not the college. I handled the situation by calling the Governor's office and suggesting he call a snow emergency.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:26 pm
It's a weird year. We had the second most snowfall since records have been kept and winter's not even close to being over. Then of course, we had a chinook with another coming in the next few day, so record melting, which means the ice damn on my roof is huge and has already caused some damage on the kitchen bay window.

Where the hell is all the water coming from? Record snowfalls are being recorded everywhere. Floods and monsoon rains elsewhere in the southern hemisphere and poor Queensland is about to be hit with a monster cyclone on top of it's already sopping landscape.
El Nina's having a field day.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:28 pm
totally weird, here in Akbaturkey there's about an inch of snow on the ground, the streets are just wet (no snow) but all the schools and gov't is shut down. Lady Diane is just leaving for Dr's appt and med pick-up from pharmacy and she don't drive in the snow at all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, we've got the ice. Not as bad as you guys though, we probably had more resources already in place to deal with it.

I was wondering how it was affecting the Super Bowl activities.

Joe, I've been tracking the storm, trying to figure out if I'll let someone drive my kid to an event this evening -- the driver says it'll be fine but I'm not so sure. Anyway I saw the huge blue blob bearing down on Chicago and thought of y'all. Stay warm safe etc.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xradara4.gif
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:30 pm
@JPB,
Tom Skilling, the local god of weather and lord of the four winds, reassured everyone that "nobody was fear-mongering." I have, therefore, taken it upon myself to monger fear. WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!!
plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:37 pm
Pat Robertson said that God is dumping snow on the United States to punish those who are planning to drive out to do something gay.

Isn't shoveling snow good for the pecs?