House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Just what the U.S. needs, conservative media promoting anti-semitism.

Why?

Has this nations left wing liberal progressive media grown tired of championing antisemitism?

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:39 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The only thing i feel really bad about is how badly the media got it in the forst few hours. Most news had Gifford alrady dead. Whatever happened to journalistic responsibilities of "Get it right"?
Jeez, this internet 24 hour cable cylce of news is killing truth.

It isn't journalism any more and hasn't been for a long time. It is for-profit corporate/government/special interest/political public relations
failures art

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Quote:
The only thing i feel really bad about is how badly the media got it in the forst few hours. Most news had Gifford alrady dead. Whatever happened to journalistic responsibilities of "Get it right"?
Jeez, this internet 24 hour cable cylce of news is killing truth.

It isn't journalism any more and hasn't been for a long time. It is for-profit corporate/government/special interest/political public relations

A
R
They had a 50-50 chance.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:58 pm
@failures art,
There was an apology on NPR Sunday or Monday from, I believe, the head of news. NPR had reported on Saturday that Rep Giffords had died. They didn't cite the AP or anyone else who reported the same thing. It was based on their own sources. And it was, of course, wrong.
There is a rush to be 1st, I guess. And the usual rules that a respectable news organization might have probably followed (e.g. 2 identifiable sources) were adhered to.
But in a fast-paced news story like this one, that probably isn't good enough.

I am curious about the contention that was made a few pages back claiming that the poster had read that the bullet had only grazed Ms Giffords' head. Asked for a link to that claim, the poster never responded other than to, I think, blame the liberal media.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Just what the U.S. needs, conservative media promoting anti-semitism.

I thought only bankers did that Beth.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:07 pm
@okie,
Then you are either blind or a monumental liar. It's gotta be the latter because you stated that you thought they were survey markers for LOT or PROPERTY lines/pins.

Come on, Okie, that is so lame. Just use some of that oft vaunted honesty that conservatives are "famous" for and fess up.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:09 pm
Is the medium the message or is it not?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I agree with that - except that "hasn't been for a long time" might more acurately replaced with "ever". Yellow journalism is as old as the "profession". Remember William Randolph Herst's message to his reporter in Cuba during their uprising against Spain, "You furnish the pictures, I'll furnish the war"

As always in out history both sides in our political debates provide rhetoric suggesting they (and we) face an evil conspiracy, and routinely interpret unrelated events through the lens of that assumed conspiracy. The truth is far more prosaic.
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:25 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The truth is far more prosaic.

A bit of truth from you two days running, Gob. That's gotta be a record for you.

You're right, the truth is prosaic; just everyday, run of the mill war crimes/mass murder/thievery/torture/rape committed by the US and its proxies.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:38 pm
@okie,
Quote:
You say you've never said the guy was politically motivated, but you continue to argue that Palin's political race map supposedly had something to do with this event.

Yaknow, Robert made a similar accusation to me earlier in the thread.

Do me a favor. Find the post of mine in which I make that argument and link to it. If you can't do so, please admit that you couldn't find one in which I made that argument.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:10 pm
“Together We Thrive: Tucson and America"

Memorial schedule:

· Opening music
· Native American blessing
· Welcome by UA President Robert N. Shelton
...· Playing of the National Anthem
· Remarks by President Shelton
· Remarks by UA Student
· Remarks by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer
· Remarks by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano
· Remarks by U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder
· Remarks by President Obama
· Moment of silence.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
What time does it start, B-Net?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Now. It is on CSPAN and all the cable news outlets. I think you can also watch it at whitehouse.gov.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's the link to the audio only version at whitehouse.gov

Whitehouse.gov.live
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
Caught it on MSNBC. Hernandez was awesome. Brewer was very good, and I would give high marks to Obama.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
Quote:
The talk in political circles has been that Sarah Palin had a rare opportunity in the wake of the Tucson tragedy to reach out beyond her base and recalibrate her image beyond that of a gun-toting mama grizzly.

After all, the strategists said, there was some sympathy for her—beyond the Palin-haters—for being tied to the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, even if she had erred with her “reload” talk and by posting that map with the gun-sight targets last year.

Instead, Palin chose to throw kerosene on the embers of a smoldering national controversy.

“Especially within hours of a tragedy unfolding,” Palin said in a video on her Facebook page, “journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible.”

Blood libel, for those who are not familiar, describes a false accusation that minorities—usually Jews—murder children to use their blood in religious rituals, and has been a historical theme in the persecution of the Jewish people.

Had Palin scoured a thesaurus, she could not have come up with a more inflammatory phrase.

As someone who has argued that linking her rhetoric to the hateful violence of Jared Loughner is unfair, I can imagine that the former governor was angry about how liberal detractors dragged her into this story. But after days of silence, she had a chance to speak to the country in a calmer, more inclusive way. She could have said that all of us, including her, needed to avoid excessively harsh or military-style language, without retreating one inch from her strongly held beliefs.

Instead she went the blood libel route. Daily Beast

The update and further commentary in this article goes on to say how she's made it all about her.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:54 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Well, now that you've given me a clue about how little thought and responsibility you take for the impact your words might have on WHOEVER may hear them, holding my breath would be a waste of time, wouldn't it?

I am 100% responsible for my words and actions. My "wishes" for something when I'm angry belong to me. I can verbalize them if I choose. If someone is unstable enough to think an expressed thought is license to kill, they need to be locked up.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:54 pm
@aidan,
Grow a sense of humor, buzzkill.
Lash

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:01 pm
@ehBeth,
"purports?"

This really seems out of left field. We don't say the same things to children that we do to our parents, our lovers, our friends, strangers... Free adults choose how they communicate in varying environments. I'm glad to still have that right.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:03 pm
@spendius,
So, you do think Palin fingered those Democrats on her map for murder. Thanks for clearing that up.