House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:05 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

By the way - after the attempted assassination of President Reagan (by a similarly mentally unstable individual) I didn't hear any suggestions by Republicans that offensive Democrat political rhetoric was the cause.

Don't forget that it was also learned that Hinkley had also plotted to assassinate Jimmy Carter a year earlier, but didn't have an opportunity present itself.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:06 pm
@okie,
Quote:
with the survey markers,
Im not gonna give georgeob **** for starting this untruth. Hes is a mechanical engineer so Im sure he never took surveying. YOU DID. You know damn well that a "surveying reticle" contains stadia lines at full/half'and quarter stadia . These are distance determination points that we read on the stadia rod . The "survey marks" on the map, dont have stadia marks, they are simple (Weaver style)GUNSIGHT CROSSHAIRS clear and simple.

You know better and are continuing pwerping an untruth .
Sarahs web site had targets , not "Survey reticles".

http://www.ams.org/featurecolumn/images/may2008/tacheometry2.jpg                                          The above is what the stadia lines look like through an old style transit, theodolite, or alidade
okie

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, I think a best friend at least might have one of the better ideas about what was going on with the guy.
You say you've never said the guy was politically motivated, but you continue to argue that Palin's political race map supposedly had something to do with this event. I think that you should be smart enough to realize your demagoguery directed at conservatives simply does not hold any water, cyclops. As a guy that I've debated here for a long time, I actually thought you would be smarter and more intellectually honest than you are demonstrating with your posting on this issue. And at the same time, you don't find Obama calling some of us out here enemies a problem. At least if you are going to demonize such language, you should apply the rule equally to each party. Besides, if you really want to find actual threats about shooting the opposition, there is one, a Democrat in Pennsylvania by the name of Kanjorski. Even Joe Biden threatened to "strangle" Republicans, remember that?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/06/biden-says-hell-strangle-republicans/
okie

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
with the survey markers,
Im not gonna give georgeob **** for starting this untruth. Hes is a mechanical engineer so Im sure he never took surveying. YOU DID. You know damn well that a "surveying reticle" contains stadia lines at full/half'and quarter stadia . These are distance determination points that we read on the stadia rod . The "survey marks" on the map, dont have stadia marks, they are simple (Weaver style)GUNSIGHT CROSSHAIRS clear and simple.

You know better and are continuing pwerping an untruth .
Sarahs web site had targets , not "Survey reticles".
Get lost, farmer. To tell you the truth, I did not do the surveying, I did the drafting of maps. Symbols on those maps I remember had no such symbols with stadia or whatever you are talking about. Nor am I a hunter. The last time I went hunting was probably about 25 years ago, with a borrowed gun, so I am not familiar with scopes or gunsights. You nutcases are barking up the wrong tree.
okie

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:23 pm
I have never seen more convoluted attempts to twist nothing into something for political gain. Unbelievable, you libs are totally unbelievable.
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:24 pm
@okie,
Didnt you take field geology? Didnt you have to pass the field component of your undergrad work to get your degree ? If so, you hadda take field surveying, so , unless you dont remember your twenties at all, Id say that youve just kept an unytruth going and dont like getting caught at it.
The point is, Sarahs map points were NOT survey reticles.
Now if you dont know, then just keep out of this if you dont know what the hell you were talking about and let me get back to placing the blame for this tall tale on Georgeob where it belongs.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:26 pm
I read an interesting (and somewhat comprehensible to a layman) article in Nature News about what happens in the seconds, minutes, hours and days after a bullet hits the brain. The neurosurgeon quoted has no involvement in Giffords' case, but he was the lead doctor in the treatment of James Brady.
In the 1st instant, as the bullet enters and exits the left side of her brain, tissue is destroyed.
That is followed by a "pressure wave" that transfers energy created by the the bullet into surrounding brain tissue. I would equate that to lightning striking a transformer near your house and blowing out your computer.
The brain attempts to "cool down" the surge by absorbing water. This results in the brain swelling. A portion of Giffords' skull has been removed to relieve pressure.
Meanwhile, the brain strives desperately to regenerate lost tissue. An induced coma slows that process down to a manageable rate.
Giffords' lead doctor talks optimistically about her condition but it is clear, I think, that her life will never be the same.

I know it is perhaps unseemly to bring up, but I wonder what will be done about Gabrielle Giffords' seat in the U.S. House.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:34 pm
For David:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_assassination_attempt

Quote:
The shooting of Reagan ignited a debate on gun control in the U.S. that had already been kindled by the death of John Lennon in December 1980. Reagan expressed opposition to increased handgun control following Lennon's death and even re-iterated his opposition to gun control after his own assassination attempt. However in public remarks, later reprinted by The New York Times, President Reagan endorsed the 1993 act:

"Anniversary" is a word we usually associate with happy events that we like to remember: birthdays, weddings, the first job. March 30, however, marks an anniversary I would just as soon forget, but cannot... four lives were changed forever, and all by a Saturday-night special – a cheaply made .22 caliber pistol – purchased in a Dallas pawnshop by a young man with a history of mental disturbance. This nightmare might never have happened if legislation that is before Congress now – the Brady bill – had been law back in 1981... If the passage of the Brady bill were to result in a reduction of only 10 or 15 percent of those numbers (and it could be a good deal greater), it would be well worth making it the law of the land. And there would be a lot fewer families facing anniversaries such as the Bradys, Delahantys, McCarthys and Reagans face every March 30.[35]

Here's a link to the full column written by Reagan in which the above quote was taken from:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html?pagewanted=1

Quote:
Why I'm for the Brady Bill
By Ronald Reagan; Ronald Reagan, in announcing support for the Brady bill yesterday, reminded his audience he is a member of the National Rifle Association.
Published: March 29, 1991

LOS ANGELES — "Anniversary" is a word we usually associate with happy events that we like to remember: birthdays, weddings, the first job. March 30, however, marks an anniversary I would just as soon forget, but cannot.

It was on that day 10 years ago that a deranged young man standing among reporters and photographers shot a policeman, a Secret Service agent, my press secretary and me on a Washington sidewalk.

I was lucky. The bullet that hit me bounced off a rib and lodged in my lung, an inch from my heart. It was a very close call. Twice they could not find my pulse. But the bullet's missing my heart, the skill of the doctors and nurses at George Washington University Hospital and the steadfast support of my wife, Nancy, saved my life.

Jim Brady, my press secretary, who was standing next to me, wasn't as lucky. A bullet entered the left side of his forehead, near his eye, and passed through the right side of his brain before it exited. The skills of the George Washington University medical team, plus his amazing determination and the grit and spirit of his wife, Sarah, pulled Jim through. His recovery has been remarkable, but he still lives with physical pain every day and must spend much of his time in a wheelchair.

Thomas Delahanty, a Washington police officer, took a bullet in his neck. It ricocheted off his spinal cord. Nerve damage to his left arm forced his retirement in November 1981.

Tim McCarthy, a Secret Service agent, was shot in the chest and suffered a lacerated liver. He recovered and returned to duty.

Still, four lives were changed forever, and all by a Saturday-night special -- a cheaply made .22 caliber pistol -- purchased in a Dallas pawnshop by a young man with a history of mental disturbance.

This nightmare might never have happened if legislation that is before Congress now -- the Brady bill -- had been law back in 1981.

Named for Jim Brady, this legislation would establish a national seven-day waiting period before a handgun purchaser could take delivery. It would allow local law enforcement officials to do background checks for criminal records or known histories of mental disturbances. Those with such records would be prohibited from buying the handguns.

While there has been a Federal law on the books for more than 20 years that prohibits the sale of firearms to felons, fugitives, drug addicts and the mentally ill, it has no enforcement mechanism and basically works on the honor system, with the purchaser filling out a statement that the gun dealer sticks in a drawer.

The Brady bill would require the handgun dealer to provide a copy of the prospective purchaser's sworn statement to local law enforcement authorities so that background checks could be made. Based upon the evidence in states that already have handgun purchase waiting periods, this bill -- on a nationwide scale -- can't help but stop thousands of illegal handgun purchases.

And, since many handguns are acquired in the heat of passion (to settle a quarrel, for example) or at times of depression brought on by potential suicide, the Brady bill would provide a cooling-off period that would certainly have the effect of reducing the number of handgun deaths.

Critics claim that "waiting period" legislation in the states that have it doesn't work, that criminals just go to nearby states that lack such laws to buy their weapons. True enough, and all the more reason to have a Federal law that fills the gaps. While the Brady bill would not apply to states that already have waiting periods of at least seven days or that already require background checks, it would automatically cover the states that don't. The effect would be a uniform standard across the country.

Even with the current gaps among states, those that have waiting periods report some success. California, which has a 15-day waiting period that I supported and signed into law while Governor, stopped nearly 1,800 prohibited handgun sales in 1989. New Jersey has had a permit-to-purchase system for more than two decades. During that time, according to the state police, more than 10,000 convicted felons have been caught trying to buy handguns.

Every year, an average of 9,200 Americans are murdered by handguns, according to Department of Justice statistics. This does not include suicides or the tens of thousands of robberies, rapes and assaults committed with handguns.

This level of violence must be stopped. Sarah and Jim Brady are working hard to do that, and I say more power to them. If the passage of the Brady bill were to result in a reduction of only 10 or 15 percent of those numbers (and it could be a good deal greater), it would be well worth making it the law of the land.

And there would be a lot fewer families facing anniversaries such as the Bradys, Delahantys, McCarthys and Reagans face every March 30.

Based on your comments here, David, are you now saying that Ronald Reagan was also a Benedict Arnold to conservatism?

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Quote:
She and her busband were long-time activists in the Republican Party and for conservative causes.

There is nothing conservative about gun control; it is a radical repudiation of the Bill of Rights.
If she was an activist for conservatism, as u claim,
then she became a Benedict Arnold.
okie

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
Good grief, that was over 40 years ago, farmer. And when I was asked by Rockhead about the symbols, my first thought was they resembled survey points or corners on maps. After my geology career and before my self employed career, I worked for a while drafting survey plats for a professional land surveyor, and symbols similar to those seen on Palin's map did not strike me as being too different from survey plat symbols used. At least that was the closest I could come to answering his question, which I thought was rather pointless at the time. I thought they also resembled targets but survey targets or pins to be placed to mark a corner or survey point is not too dis-similar. After studying Palin's map, the target symbols make sense, because they were targeted congressional races.

Do you realize how foolish you and your side of the aisle are looking with all of the contortions of your convoluted and tortured reasoning to try to blame Palin or other conservatives for something ? Besides, if you really want to find actual threats, Biden threatened to choke Repbulicans once, and there is record of a Pennsyslvania Demcrat saying a Republican in Florida should be shot. Why don't you actually direct your energies to something real instead of some imagination in your head?
firefly

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@BillW,
Quote:

Now it's "blood libel", Palin's a victim <sigh>

Sarah Palin's video was her same old whine about being victimized by the media.

No responsible person is holding her personally responsible for the shooting in Arizona, but she's certainly played a part in using rather explicitly violent graphics and figures of speech simply to motivate people to vote her way. It certainly wouldn't have been amiss for her to acknowledge that, see the potential harm in doing that, pledge to knock it off, and urge others, on all sides, to do the same, given the tragedy that just occurred.

For a person who coyly allows speculation about her presidential ambitions, Palin just missed a whooping chance to display some semblance of leadership ability because she preferred, instead, to whine, again, about how the media victimizes her. But Palin loves being provocative. She loves the media attention that gets her. Well, sometimes her provocative tactics might turn around and bite her in the ass. And that's what's happened to her, as the result of the recent tragedy, and the media isn't to blame for that.

It's not as though Palin has actual policies, or programs, or carefully thought out opinions to offer--her "thing" is provocative Tweets, or Facebook postings, to grab some media attention and get people riled up. If she wants to play with fire, by being so provocative, she shouldn't complain if she gets burned.

What I did notice in the video Palin just released was the almost complete absence of her folksy twang and speech patterns. No can'tcha's or gonna's, or gotcha's. Amazing how she turns the act on and off.

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 04:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Rockhead wrote:
the type of ammunition makes a big difference.

caliber as well...
I think it was only a 9mm.

Ball ammo could do as I have described earlier. HP ammo should mushroom, but the angle and the close proximity to the target may have prevented the bullet from expanding properly.

The 33 round Glock magazine everyone has mentioned is only available in 9mm.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:01 pm
@H2O MAN,
"expanding properly"?
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:02 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Do you realize how foolish you and your side of the aisle are looking with all of the contortions of your convoluted and tortured reasoning to try to blame Palin or other conservatives for something
I hadnt blamed Palin, I only asked the question whether she would remove her maps and charts from her website and when she would do this>
OPat Buchanan himself , (not a liberal) asserted that if any act of violence would happen to one of the people that Palin "targeted", she would be in the middle of a blame game. He spent a lot opf time critizcizing her irresponsible handlers for allowing such speech. He said that it was arookies act and, should she sseek higher offices , she would need to clean up her act..

Quote:
Besides, if you really want to find actual threats, Biden threatened to choke Repbulicans once, and there is record of a Pennsyslvania Demcrat saying a Republican in Florida should be shot. Why don't you actually direct your energies to something real instead of some imagination in your head?
If, it did turn out that someone acted on Bidens words or if the PA Democrat himself, or an agent was responsible in shooting a GOP legislator, I would say that they should be handled in a similar fashion . Dont you?
Unfortunately, all we have is this immediate example.

Obviously Lougner was a batshit nutball. What tipped him off we may never know. He seems to be wresting all he can from his 4th and 5th amendment rights.
The only thing i feel really bad about is how badly the media got it in the forst few hours. Most news had Gifford alrady dead. Whatever happened to journalistic responsibilities of "Get it right"?
Jeez, this internet 24 hour cable cylce of news is killing truth.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:07 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

What I did notice in the video Palin just released was the almost complete absence of her folksy twang and speech patterns. No can'tcha's or gonna's, or gotcha's. Amazing how she turns the act on and off.

I was just listening to it. She doesn't even have a midwestern accent anymore.

The use of "blood libel" was bizarre. It has such a specific meaning - it got into her vocabulary somehow - using it in this context was so strange.

The NorthStar is an odd gal.
JPB

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:09 pm
@ehBeth,
It appears to be the new catch phrase in the conservative media.

Quote:
Despite the bright spotlight pointed at Palin’s uttering of the flashpoint expression, hers was not the first usage of the phrase by a conservative in the wake of the Arizona shootings. Several other commentators -- all political conservatives -- invoked “blood libel” in print yesterday.

In an op-ed about the shootings in the Wall Street Journal on January 11, University of Tennessee law professor Glenn Harlan Reynolds asked “Where is the decency in blood libel?” Human Events staff writer John Hayward urged the “Right to fight back” against blame for the attacks in a piece titled “The Giffords Blood Libel Will Fail; The Left rides a horse that is dying beneath them.”

And, on the same day, the editorial page of the Washington Examiner slammed New York Times columnist Paul Krugman for placing “the blood libel of blame for the Tucson murders squarely on the shoulders of the crowds at the McCain-Palin rallies and right-wing extremism." Source
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

"expanding properly"?

Yes. A hollow point (HP) bullet is designed to expand or mushroom when it hits soft flesh, transmitting all of it's energy into the target.
Ball ammo is meant to penetrate, bounce off or break bone and exit while retaining some of it's energy.

Rifle and pistol ammo (HP & ball) will react/perform differently because of the difference in velocities.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:18 pm
@JPB,
Someone who knows the correct meaning of blood libel has clearly been using it in those circles.

Just what the U.S. needs, conservative media promoting anti-semitism.

McTag

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:20 pm
@ehBeth,

Quote:
it got into her vocabulary somehow

Into her speechwriters' vocabulary.

Breathtaking hypocrisy.

"It's so typical of the leftwing media, to refer to our comments about reloading and targets and Second-Amendment solutions and re-taking America by force, and me killing a caribou or whatever it was with only five shots, and so irresponsible of them to make any link with bullets actually flying."
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
Okay, H2O Man. Your "expanding properly" choice of words caught my eye. I hope you didn't mean that phrase to imply something you didn't intend.
Let's move on. I hope we are done with the cross-hairs vs survey markers debate. I see nothing new coming out of that.
As for "blood libel." My 1st reaction was that Ms Palin, like most high profile politicians, have people who write the speeches and perhaps someone working for her didn't realize what the history of the phrase is. But then I see it has shown up several times lately in the conservative media. Strange.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
Liberals tend to make that kind of irrational, knee-jerk reaction by reading thing that are not there, I hope you didn't just go there.
0 Replies