House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:09 pm
@Lash,
I don't think she fingered them for murder. I think she probably enjoyed the use of a target type markers and the gun association, but so did the dems' map - although not anywhere near as specifically.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:11 pm
@JTT,
It was the truly desperate attempt to be imagined a patriot...good call. No, wait....yeah. The patriot thing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:15 pm
@Lash,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:27 pm
@aidan,
Good grief but some people are asses!

Sanctimonious twits like Aidan are hardly policing their every day speech and please don't try to suggest that you are.

Everyone on God's green earth has said something like "I could kill him," or "I wish he would drop dead."

When you say such things, (and if you are honest, you will admit you do), do you look around for the possible lunatic who might take you seriously?

Of course you don't and if you argue otherwise you are a liar.

Madmen are triggered by all sorts of obscure and obtuse stimuli. The thought that we might be able to anticipate what they choose as a foundation for mass murder is simply ridiculous.

Good lord will you sanctimonious fools go huddle at a coffee house and spare the rest of us your nonsense?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:31 pm
I'll admit I wonder about her speechwriter and the blood libel reference. I'm not at all sure she would have picked on the term's history. I didn't get it myself until it was explained.
0 Replies

plainoldme

@okie,
Quote:
I have always felt that Islamic terrorists use religion as a crutch to justify their real goal, and I have always believed their real motivation and goal were a hatred of Jews and the elimination of the state of Israel. I have also believed that the mainstream Islamic religion has not done enough to distance itself and condemn terrorist actions. I think it is also a fact that there are hate filled people that are sprinkled in among or camouflage themselves within the Islamic religion as well, as some of the figures that have been found to raise funds and communicate with terror cells have been connected with mosques, even here in this country.

Imagine what he might say if he actually studied Islam or the Koran? This is a great deal of verbiage for someone who admits to knowing nothing about Islam.

"I always thought . . ." "I have always believed . . ." Really? Without having made a study?
0 Replies

plainoldme

@okie,
Quote:
I have always felt that Islamic terrorists use religion as a crutch to justify their real goal, and I have always believed their real motivation and goal were a hatred of Jews and the elimination of the state of Israel. I have also believed that the mainstream Islamic religion has not done enough to distance itself and condemn terrorist actions. I think it is also a fact that there are hate filled people that are sprinkled in among or camouflage themselves within the Islamic religion as well, as some of the figures that have been found to raise funds and communicate with terror cells have been connected with mosques, even here in this country.

Imagine what he might say if he actually studied Islam or the Koran? This is a great deal of verbiage for someone who admits to knowing nothing about Islam.

"I always thought . . ." "I have always believed . . ." Really? Without having made a study?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

For David:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_assassination_attempt

Quote:
The shooting of Reagan ignited a debate on gun control in the U.S. that had already been kindled by the death of John Lennon in December 1980. Reagan expressed opposition to increased handgun control following Lennon's death and even re-iterated his opposition to gun control after his own assassination attempt. However in public remarks, later reprinted by The New York Times, President Reagan endorsed the 1993 act:

"Anniversary" is a word we usually associate with happy events that we like to remember: birthdays, weddings, the first job. March 30, however, marks an anniversary I would just as soon forget, but cannot... four lives were changed forever, and all by a Saturday-night special – a cheaply made .22 caliber pistol – purchased in a Dallas pawnshop by a young man with a history of mental disturbance. This nightmare might never have happened if legislation that is before Congress now – the Brady bill – had been law back in 1981... If the passage of the Brady bill were to result in a reduction of only 10 or 15 percent of those numbers (and it could be a good deal greater), it would be well worth making it the law of the land. And there would be a lot fewer families facing anniversaries such as the Bradys, Delahantys, McCarthys and Reagans face every March 30.[35]

Here's a link to the full column written by Reagan in which the above quote was taken from:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html?pagewanted=1

Quote:
Why I'm for the Brady Bill
By Ronald Reagan; Ronald Reagan, in announcing support for the Brady bill yesterday, reminded his audience he is a member of the National Rifle Association.
Published: March 29, 1991

LOS ANGELES — "Anniversary" is a word we usually associate with happy events that we like to remember: birthdays, weddings, the first job. March 30, however, marks an anniversary I would just as soon forget, but cannot.

It was on that day 10 years ago that a deranged young man standing among reporters and photographers shot a policeman, a Secret Service agent, my press secretary and me on a Washington sidewalk.

I was lucky. The bullet that hit me bounced off a rib and lodged in my lung, an inch from my heart. It was a very close call. Twice they could not find my pulse. But the bullet's missing my heart, the skill of the doctors and nurses at George Washington University Hospital and the steadfast support of my wife, Nancy, saved my life.

Jim Brady, my press secretary, who was standing next to me, wasn't as lucky. A bullet entered the left side of his forehead, near his eye, and passed through the right side of his brain before it exited. The skills of the George Washington University medical team, plus his amazing determination and the grit and spirit of his wife, Sarah, pulled Jim through. His recovery has been remarkable, but he still lives with physical pain every day and must spend much of his time in a wheelchair.

Thomas Delahanty, a Washington police officer, took a bullet in his neck. It ricocheted off his spinal cord. Nerve damage to his left arm forced his retirement in November 1981.

Tim McCarthy, a Secret Service agent, was shot in the chest and suffered a lacerated liver. He recovered and returned to duty.

Still, four lives were changed forever, and all by a Saturday-night special -- a cheaply made .22 caliber pistol -- purchased in a Dallas pawnshop by a young man with a history of mental disturbance.

This nightmare might never have happened if legislation that is before Congress now -- the Brady bill -- had been law back in 1981.

Named for Jim Brady, this legislation would establish a national seven-day waiting period before a handgun purchaser could take delivery. It would allow local law enforcement officials to do background checks for criminal records or known histories of mental disturbances. Those with such records would be prohibited from buying the handguns.

While there has been a Federal law on the books for more than 20 years that prohibits the sale of firearms to felons, fugitives, drug addicts and the mentally ill, it has no enforcement mechanism and basically works on the honor system, with the purchaser filling out a statement that the gun dealer sticks in a drawer.

The Brady bill would require the handgun dealer to provide a copy of the prospective purchaser's sworn statement to local law enforcement authorities so that background checks could be made. Based upon the evidence in states that already have handgun purchase waiting periods, this bill -- on a nationwide scale -- can't help but stop thousands of illegal handgun purchases.

And, since many handguns are acquired in the heat of passion (to settle a quarrel, for example) or at times of depression brought on by potential suicide, the Brady bill would provide a cooling-off period that would certainly have the effect of reducing the number of handgun deaths.

Critics claim that "waiting period" legislation in the states that have it doesn't work, that criminals just go to nearby states that lack such laws to buy their weapons. True enough, and all the more reason to have a Federal law that fills the gaps. While the Brady bill would not apply to states that already have waiting periods of at least seven days or that already require background checks, it would automatically cover the states that don't. The effect would be a uniform standard across the country.

Even with the current gaps among states, those that have waiting periods report some success. California, which has a 15-day waiting period that I supported and signed into law while Governor, stopped nearly 1,800 prohibited handgun sales in 1989. New Jersey has had a permit-to-purchase system for more than two decades. During that time, according to the state police, more than 10,000 convicted felons have been caught trying to buy handguns.

Every year, an average of 9,200 Americans are murdered by handguns, according to Department of Justice statistics. This does not include suicides or the tens of thousands of robberies, rapes and assaults committed with handguns.

This level of violence must be stopped. Sarah and Jim Brady are working hard to do that, and I say more power to them. If the passage of the Brady bill were to result in a reduction of only 10 or 15 percent of those numbers (and it could be a good deal greater), it would be well worth making it the law of the land.

And there would be a lot fewer families facing anniversaries such as the Bradys, Delahantys, McCarthys and Reagans face every March 30.

Based on your comments here, David, are you now saying that Ronald Reagan was also a Benedict Arnold to conservatism?

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Quote:
She and her busband were long-time activists in the Republican Party and for conservative causes.

There is nothing conservative about gun control; it is a radical repudiation of the Bill of Rights.
If she was an activist for conservatism, as u claim,
then she became a Benedict Arnold.

The short answer, the direct answer
to your question is YES.

OBVIOUSLY, he did not write that himself
and accumulate all of those doubtful numbers,
which certainly come directly from the bowels
of the repressionist movement; anti-freedom movement,
to prevent citizens from defending their own lives.

Whether he read it, or was ABLE
to read it by then is an open question.
By then he was probably afflicted with his Alzheimer's Disease,
to whatever uncertain extent, but there is
no getting away from the fact that he did
violate the Spirit of Freedom in the Bill of Rights,
and I condemn him for it.

He did the same thing when he was actually President,
qua the "War on Drugs" which is deeply unAmerican
and unConstitutional. In these respects he was not
a good conservative, nor any kind of a conservative.

Maybe we can compare him to a "recovering alcoholic"
who fell off the wagon a few times.

In my opinion, if the Brady Bill had actually
come before him while he was President
and he had the opportunity to fully evaluate it,
with aid of legal counsel, he 'd have vetoed it.
That is my sense of the situation; I cannot prove it.

I have never supported nor mentally accepted
the M'Naughten Rule; hence, crazy or not,
Reagan is accountable for his actions
and he betrayed the Bill of Rights in this case,
as well as in the War on Drugs; therefore,
I re-iterate my affirmative reply to your question.

He had many good things to his credit
(e.g., peacefully winning the 3rd World War), but NOT this.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

the threads that hold the fabric of your mind together must be very strong, okie...

As opposed to the fraying ones that regularly pop within your skull?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:35 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I don't even remember what term Hannity used

You never remember anything. You have a poor memory. You should carry a note book or index your remarks here so that you can follow your own train of thought.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
actually finn, I tend to choose my words very carefully in public, but I understand not everyone does.

be careful tossing around words like sanctimonious. It might come back to bite you in the ass...
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:37 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
I'm told that the bullet did enter and exit the skin... the bullet struck her head at an angle,
it traveled under the skin between the scalp and the skull, but never fully penetrated the skull.

You were told? By whom?
If that is true, then the removal of part of her skull would not have been necessary and must be lie.
Lash

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Very Happy I know, right! Jesus. Nobody would agree to live like that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:41 pm
@plainoldme,
You really are a nasty piece of work.

Do you ever have anything to add to A2K discourse other than hate speech and insults?

One minute you're telling us you teach English Lit in a college and the next you are telling us you work in a liquor store.

You spout nasty generalized shite about conservative women and Christians and then try and tell us such libel is fact because your flock of like minded hens agree with you.

Let's take a poll:
Who thinks POM contributes to intelligent discussion in this forum?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Considering this environment, I'm not worried.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:45 pm
Stop it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:45 pm
@firefly,
I tried to watch the palin video but could not. The woman is disgusting. I would, however, guess that she's been to an acting coach: her delivery has slightly improved and her voice no longer sounds as brassy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Everyone on God's green earth has said something like "I could kill him," or "I wish he would drop dead."

When you say such things, (and if you are honest, you will admit you do), do you look around for the possible lunatic who might take you seriously?

Of course you don't and if you argue otherwise you are a liar.

1. not since I was in my teens

2. once I started working with vulnerable children and adults I did start paying very very close attention to exactly what I said in their presence. Pretty soon I realized it was just easier to not say stupid things that I didn't mean like "I wish he was dead". So, no, I don't say things like that.

3. not lying.

In real life, you aren't even going to find me making judgmental comments that I might make here. I've learned that you never know what someone might make of a random, unmeant, comment.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
@ehBeth,
The wiki definition of blood libel:

Blood libel (also blood accusation) refers to a false accusation or claim that religious minorities, almost always Jews, murder children to use their blood in certain aspects of their religious rituals and holidays. Historically, these claims have–alongside those of well poisoning and host desecration–been a major theme in European persecution of Jews.

The libels typically allege that Jews require human blood for the baking of matzos for Passover. The accusations often assert that the blood of Christian children is especially coveted, and historically blood libel claims have often been made to account for otherwise unexplained deaths of children. In some cases, the alleged victim of human sacrifice has become venerated as a martyr, a holy figure around whom a martyr cult might arise. A few of these have been even canonized as saints, like Gavriil Belostoksky.

In Jewish lore, blood libels were the impetus for the creation in the 16th century of the Golem of Prague by Rabbi Judah Loew ben Bezalel. Many popes have either directly or indirectly condemned the blood accusation, and no pope has ever sanctioned it.These libels have persisted among some segments of Christians to the present time.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You really are a nasty piece of work.

Do you ever have anything to add to A2K discourse other than hate speech and insults?

One minute you're telling us you teach English Lit in a college and the next you are telling us you work in a liquor store.

You spout nasty generalized shite about conservative women and Christians and then try and tell us such libel is fact because your flock of like minded hens agree with you.

Let's take a poll:
Who thinks POM contributes to intelligent discussion in this forum?
That did not prove to be the case.
I had hoped for better, when she first arrived.
However, your poll will feel the wate of the leftists in this forum,
who r more numerous than logical freedom-lovers.

David
0 Replies