House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
I think you missed my point. It was a wee bit of sarcasm; you and Finn remarking about other people's grammar and spelling in their writing is really quite a hilarious notion.

I didn't miss the point; but I can't tell you to do anything different. I'm certainly not telling Finn or anyone else to do anything different. Just indicating that I get bored when grammar or spelling mistakes are excessive, and lose interest, and stop reading.

If you feel differently than that, great. If you feel the same as I do, and want to stop reading my posts due to grammatical errors - also great! It's a win-win for me, really.

Cycloptichorn

The prospect of JTT and Cyclo embroiled in a back and forth that keeps them from otherwise posting makes me giddy.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:17 pm
@djjd62,
there's a local kid without legs that got arrested for following them.

he had lots of guns with him.

big ones...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
That group of sick bastards really tests my commitment to the first amendment .

Absolutely. And, I'd love to see the Baptist Church leadership come out and say these folks do not represent the views of their organization. The silence of other Christians, while this group carries their banner in such a manner, makes me wonder.

I don't know that they haven't, but I'll research it a bit.

If they haven't they are no better than the Muslims who don't condemn Islamists.

From the Wiki,

Quote:
The WBC is not affiliated with any known Baptist conventions or associations. The church describes itself as following Primitive Baptist and Calvinist principles,[9] though mainstream Primitive Baptists reject the WBC and Phelps.[10]

My guess it that the mainstream Baptist church simply washed their hands of this group long ago and today won't talk about it at all.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:18 pm
@djjd62,
Media does not ignore a juicy story designed to get everybody talking. Media is the problem folks. Obviously Media blames anybody else it can find. But Media is the problem. Absolutely.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:20 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It does me too. It must be either fear or contempt.

The fear component is probably what causes Muslims from condemning Islamists. Just look at what happened in the Punjab.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
But the US is not Pakistan is it Finn?
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:25 pm
@spendius,
really, it seems to be suffering from sectarian violence and has a moslem leader Razz
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
We have people on a2k who misspell for many different reasons. One guy with a mashed hand gave it up re trying to fix the errors that would just occur if he typed naturally. Some are dyslexic, I'm guessing, and don't catch the misspelling. Some are lazy, or, in another view, simply not anal. Some miss the editing timer. Some don't give a ****. A new poster friend here posts as well as he can.

I misspell because I had some sort of brain transfer for an and and or that I've had too much wine or am not yet quite awake, or am awake and distracted. Or, once in a while from my objection to usage or from playfulness. I did well in spelling bees.

Not that I'm all better than you, as I have cringe moments at text speak.

Hops off of soap box.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:34 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

But the US is not Pakistan is it Finn?

Your point spendius?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:35 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Media does not ignore a juicy story designed to get everybody talking. Media is the problem folks. Obviously Media blames anybody else it can find. But Media is the problem. Absolutely.

I disagree, Spendius. Certainly the media is still driven by the mentality of "If it bleeds, it leads." But I think that the media is getting more cautious about being sucked into a publicity stunt like the Westboro crowd.
A few months ago a preacher in, I think, Florida announced plans to publicly burn the Koran. He disappeared when the media declined to cover his event.
I admit to being nervous about the news media perhaps collectively deciding what to cover or to not cover.
By the way, my little commentary on Westboro was based on info I gleaned from Fox.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:35 pm
@djjd62,
Very Happy
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
My guess it that the mainstream Baptist church simply washed their hands of this group long ago and today won't talk about it at all.

Maybe that is good enough for them. But it doesn't satisfy me. I'm not sure what I expect them to do, but something would seem appropriate.
okie

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The fear component is probably what causes Muslims from condemning Islamists. Just look at what happened in the Punjab.
Finn, I had totally forgotten, but Hannity pointed out that Sirhan Sirhan was way ahead of his time, being an Islamist that assassinated Robert Kennedy, many think because Kennedy favored our alliance with Israel. So I dug up some information on him and here are interesting links:
http://www.nowpublic.com/sirhan_sirhan_a_mystery_no_more
"On June 5, 1968, a Muslim-Arab immigrant from Palestine, shot and killed Senator Robert Kennedy, who was then running for president. Most of us who watch closely the issue and history of Islamic terrorism against America and the west usually place the Iranian hostage takeover in 1979 as the start of the ‘modern’ era of this terrorism."

Also, I had forgotten that Bill Ayers, friend and colleague of Obama in Chicago, dedicated one of his books to Sirhan Sirhan. Here is that information.
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=79625

"Bill Ayers, the man with whom Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama worked on Chicago projects, published his own manifesto during his years as an active terrorist and dedicated it to a list of people including Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy.

According to Fox News, Ayers – the Weather Underground terrorist who bombed the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon, and stated recently he wished he could have done more – used his book, "Prairie Fire," to announce his intention to "attack from the inside" and "disrupt the empire, to incapacitate it, to put pressure on the cracks, to make it hard to carry out its bloody functioning against the people of the world."

When confronted in a debate, Obama described Ayers as "just a guy who lives in my neighborhood." But the campaign of Republican nominee John McCain has made much of of the fact that Ayers hired Obama to work on the Annenberg Challenge in Chicago and shared duties with him on the board of the Woods Fund, charities that distributed millions of dollars to leftist causes."
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:38 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

Don't blame the mirror.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:42 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:

Maybe that is good enough for them. But it doesn't satisfy me. I'm not sure what I expect them to do, but something would seem appropriate.

Well me either. But I can see their position.

They can't very well go after the church for condemning homosexuality because hey, they condemn it too! They don't go picket funerals but their basic position is the same, especially Southern Baptist. Are they going to just call the other guys inappropriate or out of line? This opens them up to criticisms from the hard-liners in their own congregations.

So you can see how the conversation would get real muddy, real quick, if they were to comment on it. It won't reflect well on them no matter what they say.

I hate those Westboro bastards, but I'm realllllly leery of laws preventing people from protesting. I'd be shocked if the ACLU doesn't get involved in this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo-
Democrats and the GOP have wrangled since the inception of this country. The parties have actually done a flip flop of ideals, but neither has waffled away from vitriol, threats and violent imagery for over 200 years.

Bull's eyes aren't new or a call to murder in the context they were used.

Palin's crew didn't want anyone murdered. I think if you are honest, you know this. This is just a good point scoring opp for Democrats, and I think it is equal in bad taste to Palin's ad. Both sides crave spin and point scoring, but this mentally ill guy's murder is too serious to try to capitalize on.

1. Both sides have used violent rhetoric since forever.
2. Bull's eyes (and gun related graphics) will probably (and should be) rethought as appropriate for political campaigns.
3. Democrats should stop pretending Palin and Crew are in any way responsible for this poor guy's delusions and actions.
Lash

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
I hope the Hell's Angels kick some ass.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Me, too. I had a knock down drag out with my son over the holidays about this.
Lash

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:46 pm
@IRFRANK,
But, should all Muslims decry everything radicals do? Should all blondes carry banners that say, "I am not dumb." Should all Christians have a press conference whenever a radical kills an abotion doctor?

How about we're just all responsible for what WE do?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:48 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Me, too. I had a knock down drag out with my son over the holidays about this.

Really? What position did your son take?

(you have a son old enough to debate politics with?)