House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

snood

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@Lash,
About giving a free speech pass only to people we like... I think the whole incitement idea lends itself to interpretation, even to the individual who considers his judgment as objective. Which was the point of my questions (not making a case for who I like).
And no, I didn't "know" that Malcolm was one of your "favorite people". I'm sure that if it was something you mentioned in the past there's been a lot of time to forget it.
BillW

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
The 33 round Glock magazine is not extended

From advertisement:

Quote:
This magazine extends below the bottom of the pistol grip

It extends, I don't give a damn about your gun lingo - it may give you a hardon, but I could care less. It extends squirt!
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:10 pm
This was a verry tragic event. My prayers are with the families afected. But I also pray to God that this does not turn into a wich hunt against people with afected with my disease.
littlek

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:18 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Peter, there was no mention of schizophrenia.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:20 pm
@littlek,
sorry im probaly over anylizing things again Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:21 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I hope so too, Peter. But I think most people know better than that.

Click on this for a slate article on the subject -
http://www.slate.com/id/2280619/

(sorry if that link has been given earlier)
Maybe Firefly gave the link earlier.
BillW

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:23 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
No you're not, but have no fear - there are as many people on your side that will fight for your freedom and liberties. We will never let people be attack for who and what they are. The fight goes on daily, look at what just happened for gay people! Go in peace Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:25 pm
@ossobuco,
From Osso's Slate link:
Quote:
A 2009 analysis of nearly 20,000 individuals concluded that increased risk of violence was associated with drug and alcohol problems, regardless of whether the person had schizophrenia. Two similar analyses on bipolar patients showed, along similar lines, that the risk of violent crime is fractionally increased by the illness, while it goes up substantially among those who are dependent on intoxicating substances. In other words, it's likely that some of the people in your local bar are at greater risk of committing murder than your average person with mental illness.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:29 pm
Gunman Described Himself as 'Terrorist'
In high school, Jared Lee Loughner was a saxophone player at football games. More recently, the 22-year-old raged referred to himself as a "terrorist."
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Excellent link Smile
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:38 pm
Here's a link to the criminal complaint filed in court against Jared Loughner today:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/politics/PR_01092011_Loughner.pdf
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:45 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Thanks, Peter. It's one of those things I think is obvious, but that some don't understand, so it's good to have some data at hand.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose I should add that I'm not convinced hostile vitriolic language or graphics is a direct cause either. I think simplistic answers for problem situations are a very transmutable and could be inciteful, but one person's simplistic answer is the next person's truth.
dugnrichmond

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:10 pm
@djjd62,
Wonder what would have happened to me if I would have pulled my gun and blew this man away before he could get a shot off?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
We still don't understand too well what will trigger someone to kill another. Some have warnings, but not everyone is able to determine how dangerous they can be until the crime is committed.
BillW

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:15 pm
@dugnrichmond,
You would definately have a new job.........
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As a former Unitaed States Army Infantry men. I belive the best place to do that research would be thru the military.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:18 pm
@BillW,
Probably he would have missed, given the crowd, and hit the congresswoman or others. Thus the new job would be making license plates.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:20 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
What unit were you with?
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:21 pm
@dugnrichmond,
Quote:
Wonder what would have happened to me if I would have pulled my gun and blew this man away before he could get a shot off?

The very thing the officer who thought of killing Hitler in the mid 30s but didn't because he didn't think anybody would understand.