Survivor Nicaragua--Old v. Young

Irishk

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 12:43 pm
@Roberta,
Maybe Amber will do DWTS. Rob's doing a reality travel show for the History Channel next.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 12:48 pm
@Reyn,
Season 7 was great. Most of it is on youtube if you do a search. You will not believe what Joyce did in the name of winning. It was a Fast Forward (where they have to do the challenge or forfeit) in India.

She and husband, Uchenna, were also on All-Stars -- both great racers.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 01:47 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Seems to me that Rob is a professional contestant.
[...]
Maybe we'll see him next on Dancing with the Stars.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Irishk wrote:

Rob's doing a reality travel show for the History Channel next.

I heard about that! Busy fella!

Irishk wrote:

Season 7 was great. Most of it is on youtube if you do a search.

Yeah, I'll check it out when I get a chance. Thanks!

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 10:23 pm
So Rob won. I think he deserved to. In fact both Phillip and Natalie sorta gave it to him in their talks to the jury.

I thought Julie was a little harsh in what she said to Natalie. Hey, Julie, what would your mother say if she knew you stole and buried a man's underpants?

I was impressed with what David had to say at the end. Not all that interested in his getting engaged on tv.

I wish they had shown all the votes. Did Rob get all but one?
Irishk

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 10:47 pm
@Roberta,
OMG I thought for a minute that girl was going to say NO! Hahaha...what an awkward proposal! If I'm remembering right, that girl was first to be voted off on her season.

Only Ralph voted for Philip - go figure - Rob got all the others. I'm also glad he won fan favorite -- he played flawlessly. Matt, meh. He got blindsided twice and wasn't deserving.

Disappointed in Grant.

Did I hear Jeff right that they're not only bringing RI back, but TWO former players as well? Anyone have a guess as to who those might be?

I was thinking Matt might be one (after spending 29 days on RI). Sympathy pick?

Matt and God? Laughing

More likely Russell and Philip. I know, I know.
Reyn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 09:45 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
... Only Ralph voted for Philip - go figure - Rob got all the others. I'm also glad he won fan favorite -- he played flawlessly. ...

K, how do you now that Rob got all the votes? I suspect that he did also, and deservingly so. But, Jeff didn't reveal any other votes after Rob got 5 (majority, I guess).

It would have been interesting to see if Natalie even got one vote.

I think some of the jury really took the game too personal and harboured grudges against other players. Players really need to go into the game not expecting anything or trusting anyone.

Did you see Ashley's face? It said it all! If looks could kill, Natalie would be flat on her back.

Grant apparently stopped talking to Rob after the 3rd show aired? Wow!

I don't believe anyone can win Survivor and be a totally "Nice" person. There has to be some coniving and blind-siding. That's part of the game. What's the secret? Trust no one in the game, and watch your back! Don't these people watch the show? Doh!

I was pleased to see that, for this season, the part where they reviewed all the "fallen comrades", by those left was not done. It was boring and just a filler anyways.

Yes, unfortunately RI is coming back next season. I'm not convinced that this feature (as it currently is set up) has improved the show and made it more interesting. Both Matt and Andrea came back from RI and both got promptly voted off again. Opinions?

I don't think that any specific location was mentioned for the next season, other than in the South Pacific. Am I right?

As to who they might bring back, how about someone like Rupert? He was quite popular I seem to remember.
Irishk

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:35 am
@Reyn,
The named vote count for the finale went up on RI's wiki last night, but it was also mentioned as an 8 to 1 vote for Rob on CBS this morning when they gave him the check. How Ralph came to his conclusion is beyond me, but there are probably some who think Philip played the game. No one on the jury thought Natalie did.

I still think they're going back to Samoa for probably the next 2 seasons. It's cheaper to film in the same location back-t0-back (as they've just done with Nicaragua) and I'm guessing they're using the name Survivor: South Pacific as a clever way to not remind us that they've already filmed two seasons in Samoa. Time to dig out our old maps!

You might be right about Rupert -- nothing was said to indicate the two returning would be from a particular season. It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to give Matt another chance, though. Or Russell. Or Philip.

Irishk

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:50 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately RI is coming back next season. I'm not convinced that this feature (as it currently is set up) has improved the show and made it more interesting. Both Matt and Andrea came back from RI and both got promptly voted off again. Opinions?

You have a really good point there, since I thought that part of the reason for RI was a means to allow players back into the game that might have goofed up early -- maybe by a bad vote at TC or making an unwise early alliance.

But the fact that both players allowed back in this season were promptly thrown out again kind of dispels that reasoning. Plus, it just takes too much time away from the main game. Filming their life on RI and the duel means no separate challenges for immunity and reward. And...a LOT more editing. We had no idea, for instance, that Rob had told his tribe about finding the immunity idol shortly after the merge. How are we at home supposed to be able to strategize along with our favorites if they leave out all the important stuff???
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 11:09 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

The named vote count for the finale went up on RI's wiki last night, but it was also mentioned as an 8 to 1 vote for Rob on CBS this morning
[...]
I still think they're going back to Samoa for probably the next 2 seasons.

Ah, thanks for that! You're so good at fishing this info out! It helps people like me out a lot. Very Happy

Samoa sounds fine to me. I would have no problem with them using the same locations.

Irishk wrote:
... it just takes too much time away from the main game. Filming their life on RI and the duel means no separate challenges for immunity and reward. And...a LOT more editing. ...

I totally agree with you on these points.

I miss the 2nd challenge that they used to have in the main game. That's not to say that I didn't find the duels on RI well done (they have been), BUT, they distract from the main game, and it doesn't flow so well.

The whole RI (as it is currently structured) just seems pointless. Perhaps new ideas can be implemented.

As I mentioned earlier, I was pleased the "fallen comrade" thing was done away with.

I can see why they're trying new features - to keep the show fresh and interesting, but if one thing doesn't work well, they should try something else.
Irishk

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 12:04 pm
@Reyn,
I'll be especially happy if they return to Samoa. They suffered tremendous devastation from the 2009 tsunami -- huge loss of life and many villages completely wiped out. I hope CBS spends a ton of money there.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 02:02 pm
I've been busy and out of touch here, but quickly:
Quote:
I was pleased the "fallen comrade" thing was done away with.

Big Ditto.

I was fine with Rob winning. He deserved it under the circumstances. Anyone who starts pointing the ethical finger is a hypocrite in this game. Rob won because he did what the game demands - manipulate, tweak the truth, and stab your alliances in the back when the time is right. The only other way to win is ride the coattails of someone who does the dirty work for you.

I agree RI was a let down. What good is it if the other players know who is coming back? At least let them be surprised at the last minute and have to regroup. I don't think it added much or changed the game at all. They need to rethink the whole thing.

So Philip really is a mental case and a former federal special agency employee. Sometimes those two things just go together, no big surprise. I would have been really impressed if it was all an act, but it wasn't and he deserved to lose.

I liked the lawyer's guy speech too, but could have lived without the proposal. Prediction: Splitsville in 6 months or less. She's not that into him.

I would have given the "Sprint Fan Favorite or Whatever the Hell it's Called Award" to Grant for being hot and helping to block the memory of Philip in those pink panties.

I think Rupert said he wouldn't come back after his last appearance, but money has a way of changing people's minds. Maybe Richard Hatch will come back now that he's broke from paying his IRS penalties and Celebrity Apprentice is ending. Most previous players are a blur.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 03:27 pm
I'm so happy Rob won. He really did play a perfect game. I was a little worried when he chose to vote out Grant, but it all still worked out.

Julie is a moralizing little bitch. And I didn't think Steve needed to say the things he did to Philip. Philip might be nuts, but all steve did was make Steve look bad in my eyes. And at the reunion show, Philip admitted he had been wrong about the race thing. Phil might be nuts, but Steve is a whiny little quitting bitch.
Loved Dave doing the defense attorney thing. But, yeah, I don't see that proposal working out.

It was a great season.
Roberta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 04:00 pm
Hey, caribou. Long time no see. How are you?

I agree with those who say that the proposal on national TV was a mistake. The lady didn't look pleased. And she didn't leap up when it became clear what was happening.

I can't guess who the two returnees will be. Jeff has some "curious" ideas about who's interesting. If Matt comes back, I may become violent.

I, too, am not a fan of Redemption Island. Takes too much time away from the rest of the show. And didn't have any impact on the game.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:24 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote:
Julie is a moralizing little bitch.

Laughing For all her constant griping about Russell, she acted a lot like him.
boomerang

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:52 pm
In my opinion this was the most predictable, and therefore boring, Survivor ever. I didn't even stay up to watch the reunion show -- the winner was a foregone conclusion.

The whole thing seemed rigged in Rob's favor -- including that last challenge which Ashley should have won. She had everything solved well before Rob but just didn't put it together. He had such an unfair advantage it was stupid.

I hate to be too hard on Natalie because she's so young but I thought she deserved all the criticism she got. She was one of the least interesting contestants ever AND she made it to the finals? Please.

If they bring any of these contestants back I hope it's Ralph and Andrea as they seemed to be the only two worth watching.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:46 am
Rob, Philip and Natalie were on Jimmy Fallon's show last night. Philip was asked about his pink underwears and said he chose pink so that everyone around him would feel 'non-threatened'. He also revealed that he's 'formed an alliance' with Dian Fossey to save gorillas in Rwanda. He's trying to raise $2M in 60 days.

Rob described his new travel show -- Around the World in 80 Ways -- he has to make his way around the world in 80 days but can't use the same form of transportation more than once.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:43 am
Looked for and couldn't find Jeff's blog for the season finale. Not posted yet?
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:49 am
@Roberta,
I couldn't find it, either.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:50 am
@Irishk,
But at the end in the reunion show - she did say she was wrong in what she said about Natalie.

Sometimes it takes a little time to get over stuff.
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:57 am
@Linkat,
I think she did. Listening to some of these people after the game ends, you'd swear they've developed sudden amnesia about how they played the game, though.

Still couldn't find Jeff's blog on the finale, but here's a Q & A:

Quote:
Jeff Probst on the finale of 'Survivor: Redemption Island'
by Dalton Ross

Each week, Survivor host Jeff Probst answers a few questions about the most recent episode of Redemption Island. Here, he addresses some points from the season finale and reunion show.

What’s this? No Fallen Comrades tribute? I’m still in a state of Survivor shock at its omission! Did you guys not have them do it this season, or did the footage just not fit into the episode due to the time needed for the final Redemption Island duel?

We did shoot the tribute, but we had too much show and had to make a decision. We decided to edit the episode without it and if anybody spoke up during the notes process that they truly missed it, we’d revisit it. Nobody did. The “fallen comrades” has always been a “love it-hate it” part of the show. It used to be more relevant but as the game as evolved to more strategy it feels less pertinent.

Going into the final episode, it seemed to me the only people that could have maybe beaten Rob at the final Tribal Council were Mike and Matt. How do you think those guys would have done against him had one of them made it back and gotten into the final three?

Mike would have won hands down because of the make up of the jury. Matt vs Rob would have been interesting but I think Rob would have won. This jury was really solid. They weren’t the normal bunch of “bitter bitches” that we so often get at final tribal council. I liked this group a lot. I wouldn’t mind taking the same group and playing again with new tribes.

You were teeing up David pretty good at the Reunion show for that marriage proposal to Carolina, but for a while there he didn’t seem to be picking up what you were putting down. What happened there? Nerves on his part?

I have no idea what was happening with David. We had obviously talked about it beforehand and worked out the cue but I’m guessing he was just really nervous and didn’t pick up on it. The proposal itself was fairly awkward for me, not sure how it felt for the rest of the audience. A “live proposal” is such a risky thing and a bit unfair to the woman since she can’t help but feel pressure to say yes. I wish them both the best. This would be our 4th Survivor marriage.

Other twists you guys have introduced to Survivor — like the Hidden Immunity idol and Exile Island — evolved over the course of a few seasons. Since there’s not much you can tease up yet for Survivor: South Pacific, tell us your thoughts on the Redemption Island twist now that you have one season under your belt and whether there could be some tweaks or changes to that format as well.

I think it’s too soon to tweak Redemption Island in any major way. So many things could have played out differently. For instance, 90% of the time when someone like Andrea comes back in the last episode, the three girls turn on Rob and take over the game. It is also unlikely anyone will ever dominate Redemption like Matt did. The only question I have is should we end the season with 8 people again or should we lose more people from Redemption Island as we go. So when we have a 3 person duel, the bottom two would be sent home and only the winner remain. I will discuss this with Mark and CBS now that the season has concluded and we’ll make a decision. Other than that I expect it to stay the same way.

Thanks for the season, Dalton. You’ve been there from the beginning and always been a loyal, albeit critical, supporter. You’ve gotten a bit snarky over the years, but that’s probably just age.

http://ew.com/