Survivor Nicaragua--Old v. Young

Roberta

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:00 am
The new Survivor started last night. Two teams: AKs (old people) against young folks.

Will life experience and (theoretical) wisdom override physicality?

A lot will depend on how demanding the challenges are. I have my doubts.

NFL coach Jimmy Johnson is one of the oldies.

I'll be watching--if I can remember it's on Wednesday nights.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 24,262 • Replies: 519

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:07 am
It will be an interesting season!

The new necklace thing throws a wrench in the works -- I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

I think they'll be mixing up the tribes before too long. The young group has a big advantage in such a physical game. Most people's life experience doesn't prepare them for Survivor but we've also seen some very young, fit people fall apart early in the game.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:51 am
@Roberta,
Yup, my wife and I watched last night, and looking forward to it! Promises to be interesting.

I notice that this season they are using 20 players again.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:10 pm
Tyrone: "I just got a pep talk from Jimmy Johnson!"

Initial impression is I hope he makes it at least to the jury if he doesn't win outright (Tyrone, not Jimmy). OTOH, by episode 3, I'm sure I'll have a different opinion on them all lol.

I'm glad they didn't use the Medallion of Power (don't think it would have helped them), but I'm rooting for their team and I think they'll prevail!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 03:35 pm
@Roberta,
Next episode tonight - tough though my older girl has practice - I will need to send hubby to pick her up.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:17 pm
The older team was better than the younger team in the challenge. Not sure that the medallion was really necessary. Melt down on the older team seems over. But JJ said he's seen meltdowns before and that they usually come in pairs. He seems to be a natural leader. Not sure if this is a good idea, but he's clearly enormously influential.

The younger team seems to be filled with joiks. People who have no built in censorship--what not to say. I was a little surprised to see Shannon go. Not sorry. Just surprised. This could be interesting.

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:27 am
@Roberta,
I don't know.... that challenge could have gone either way. I was getting worried that the older team would lose even after using the medallion.

That tribal council was bizarre. Shannon signed is own exit by not shutting up. I can't believe nobody brought up the socks!
Roberta

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 08:08 am
@boomerang,
I can't believe Fabio didn't tell that, huh, person to just give them back.

That was one of the strangest councils they ever had. Gay people. The hottest date. Sock stealers.

When you add the old people weirdo--the shoe thief--this is one helluva group. BTW, who in their right mind brings a $1,600 pair of shoes to Survivor?

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 08:13 am
@Roberta,
I'm always amazed at what a few people wear on that show. I would only pack the latest and greatest in outdoor wear and have on as much of it as I could at any given time while waiting for the inevitable "the game starts now".

But yeah.... the swim coach.... weird.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:20 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
... I was a little surprised to see Shannon go. ...

After he shot his mouth off at council, I wasn't surprised at all. Right or not, I think to play the game well, you need to keep lots under wraps. He played it dumb, and showed all of his cards way too early in the game.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:43 am
I don't get why they start admitting to their alliances so early. It's like they've never watched the show or something.

Some funny comments from Jeff on his Survivor blog this week...Dan's shoes, Crazy Holly, compassionate Naonka, looney Shannon at Tribal Council lol.
Reyn

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:49 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

I don't get why they start admitting to their alliances so early. It's like they've never watched the show or something.

Yes, agreed!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:58 am
@Roberta,
Seeing Shannon go - reminds me of so many survivors past - when a team has so much confidence in their physical abilities and/or think too far into the game that they end up screwing themselves.

Smart move - kick off one of the more physical strong players.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:08 am
@Roberta,
I've heard they tried to trick the players - like tell them they are having a photo shot when they actually end up bringing them to their location to start the game. That is why you see so many people dressed oddly for the game.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 03:51 am
I think we saw another mistake at council. When Jimmy J. said he thought he was the weakest member of the group, he may have swayed some people to vote for him who might not otherwise have done so. Just guessing.

I don't think the members of his tribe who wanted him out thought he was a threat. I think they were just jealous of the power he appeared to have. It will be interesting to see how things shape up now.

As for the younger group, I think there's something fundamentally basically wrong with that Nan person. I wonder if she'd be voted out if that tribe loses a challenge.
boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:51 am
@Roberta,
I agree about Nan. She has to realize that even if she made it to the final two that nobody would vote for her. She's crazy. And mean. She's not even a villian you can root for.

I know they do a lot of editing but it looked like Marty was obsessed with Jimmy J. He said a few things last night that made me think he didn't really understand his place in the tribe. I don't think people are suddenly going to turn to him and he's going to melt down when they don't.
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 08:32 am
@boomerang,
agreed on all. I can see voting Jimmy off if you feel he is the weakest player, but voting some one off because a threat at this point in the guy is just plain dumb. You have time for that as you get closer to a merge.

I'm sad Jimmy is gone for the entertainment purposes.
Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:28 am
@Linkat,
Agreed as well. I thought the most obvious fellow to be voted off was the fellow who had the knee operation. He seemed to be struggling a lot. The lack of sleep and food seems to be taking its toll.

As far as Jimmy was concerned, I liked the guy and he had a lot of good sense. Unfortunately, I believe, his honesty at council did him in. With this game, in my opinion, you can't wear your thoughts and feelings on your sleeve.

The guy that kept nattering about Jimmy had a personal beef with him and I'm hoping he gets the boot with the next opportunity.

This Nan character is just plain mean. She was so dense that she needed help solving the immunity idol clue. Hopefully, she'll go, too.

-----------------

To everyone:
Do you know if participants in Survivor have to pass some kind of physical exam, or bring a note from their doctor, in order to enter this game? This especially hits home this time because of all the older players.

Do remember in a couple of past shows some of the problems? Suppose someone has a heart attack, or something?

----------

As well, is anyone watching The Amazing Race that has now had a second show for this season? I'm enjoying this, too. I've watched past series and thought it very worthwhile.
Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:56 am
@Reyn,
Reyn, I'm watching the Amazing Race. There's a thread on it here this season. Here's the link.

http://able2know.org/topic/161947-1
Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 01:00 pm
@Roberta,
hehe, I had forgotten about it. I see I already posted. Embarrassed
0 Replies