Survivor Nicaragua--Old v. Young

Green Witch

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 12:30 pm
Quote:
He also revealed that he's 'formed an alliance' with Dian Fossey to save gorillas in Rwanda. He's trying to raise $2M in 60 days.

Uh? She was horribly murdered a few years ago. Does he also speak to ghosts?
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 12:50 pm
@Green Witch,
All in a day's work for a former Federal (?) agent. He's also decided to become an actor Smile and wants to go on a bunch of other reality shows (Big Brother, Celebrity Apprentice, DWTS, etc.)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:02 pm
@Irishk,
Thanks again, K, for the Q & A thing. You really are most helpful! Wink Laughing

I'm a little disappointed to see Jeff say the below:
Quote:
I think it’s too soon to tweak Redemption Island in any major way. So many things could have played out differently. For instance, 90% of the time when someone like Andrea comes back in the last episode, the three girls turn on Rob and take over the game. It is also unlikely anyone will ever dominate Redemption like Matt did. The only question I have is should we end the season with 8 people again or should we lose more people from Redemption Island as we go. So when we have a 3 person duel, the bottom two would be sent home and only the winner remain. I will discuss this with Mark and CBS now that the season has concluded and we’ll make a decision. Other than that I expect it to stay the same way.

I'm still hoping for some decent tweeking to the RI feature.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:28 am
How many days until the next season of Survivor?

I'm going to miss my fix tonight. Sad
Irishk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:44 am
@Reyn,
Reyn...a little something to tide you over...

Coming this Fall, 2011 -- Survivor South Pacific!

Survivor Samoa...Doesn't that waterfall look familiar?

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 12:53 pm
Thanks, Irish, but it didn't do a thing for me. Wednesday night is now a vast wasteland.
Irishk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 01:00 pm
@Roberta,
I'll spend tonight finishing up the last book of the Hunger Games series. It's a bit survivor-like....so I'll get my 'fix'.

Seriously, though, I think the franchise may be on it's way out...after Season 24. The ratings haven't been great and not even the newish gimmicks (RI) seem to have helped. It's the only reality series I watch regularly, so I'll miss it...the exotic locations and wildlife shots mostly.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 02:31 pm
@Irishk,
Thanks, K! Laughing

Roberta wrote:

Wednesday night is now a vast wasteland.

Agreed!

Irishk wrote:

Seriously, though, I think the franchise may be on it's way out...after Season 24. The ratings haven't been great and not even the newish gimmicks (RI) seem to have helped.

Oh, I hope not! Surely it's still got a little life yet?

Jeff mentioned (on the reunion show) that it was still in the Top Ten. So, so long it stays there, I think it may still be around.
Irishk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 03:51 pm
@Reyn,
You could be right. I glanced at the ratings posted on the Wiki on finale night and noticed they'd only been in the top 10 a few times and it wasn't the much sought after demographic Adults 18-49, but the All viewers category. Still, they manage to stay in the top 25 and that could be good enough for CBS unless they think they have a sure-fire hit to replace it. Jeff still seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for it, so he'd probably like it to continue.
Reyn

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:01 pm
@Irishk,
Does Survivor keep Jeff busy full time, or does he work on other stuff?

I would imagine that he has to go through stacks of applications to find the right candidates, and there's the logistics of the next season to work out, etc.
Roberta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:06 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn, I doubt that Jeff does that stuff. He probably has some input after all the major work is done.

If they moved the show back to Thursday, the ratings would be better.
Reyn

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:10 pm
@Roberta,
Hmm, why would Thu be better than Wed? Is there different competition to worry about?

Right now, there's none (in my viewing area) here. Wed is a crappy night for TV, and Survivor was the bright spark.
Irishk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:12 pm
@Reyn,
Not really sure. If they hold to what they've done in the past, then filming for South Pacific should start sometime next month, so I'm guessing Jeff and the filming crew feel like it's a full time job. I think I saw the call for online applications go out for Season 23 last March...so the next cast is probably already in place. But...for the next four months or so we can use our sleuthing skills to figure out who was chosen to be the returning two players!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:15 pm
@Roberta,
I agree. It was on Thursday nights for such a long time, I never did get used to it airing on Wednesdays.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 05:58 pm
@Reyn,
American Idol is on Wednesdays! Big competition!
Reyn

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:49 pm
@Roberta,
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Laughing

My wife and I stopped watching AI, so I don't even think about it.

You know, if any series should be taken off for poor ratings, it should be AI. It just seems to be the same old stuff that I could see from the first few episodes.
Roberta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:26 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn, American Idol is the top rated show on broadcast tv. Actually it's also the second highest rated show as well. Wed. night. Top. Thurs. night. Second.

Is it any wonder that the ratings for Survivor are flagging?
Reyn

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:47 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Is it any wonder that the ratings for Survivor are flagging?

All the more reason to get rid of AI, so Survivor ratings will go up. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:40 am
@Irishk,
Does anyone know how expensive it is to film, etc. Maybe net, this show makes a good amount of money. Look at it this way, compared to a sitcom, where they are paying millions of dollars to each star per show, only one gets a million.

Not sure how much it costs though to film at these exotic locations.
Reyn

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 09:36 am
@Linkat,
Yes, you have a good point.

Obviously there's a lot of money spent behind-the-scenes, but it should be cheaper, one would think.

I've always wondered how many staff members are there to look after things. For cameras, sound, medical, setting up challenges, security, etc.

Has anyone ever read anything about this sort of thing?

As you can see below, there is at least one other compound. I would presume that Jeff and others probably live in a nearby hotel room, like the Ponderosa, which we saw recently.

Quote:
They also cannot visit the TV crew compound.

http://able2know.org/reply/post-4612673
0 Replies