Survivor: One World

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 11:53 am
It starts tonight, will you be watching?

I thought the last few seasons were pretty boring but this one mixes things up a bit:

Quote:
The biggest change will be that both tribes will live together at the same camp. The show experimented with this format briefly during a fake merge on Survivor: Thailand (and also had 20 contestants live together at the start of Survivor: Palau before splitting them into two tribes) but this will be the first time two separate tribes have cohabitated for an extended period of time. The season will also mark a return to the battle of the sexes format of Survivor: The Amazon and Survivor: Vanuatu with one tribe (Manono) being all men and the other tribe (Salani) being all women. “We wondered what would happen if we forced them to live together with no rules,” says host Jeff Probst. “You can build one camp, two camps, not have any camps. Men can sleep over with the women, women can sleep over with the men, or you can never talk at all. You can do whatever you want. But when it comes to the challenges, it is men versus women. And that gave us tons of new stuff to play with.”

The way hidden immunity idols are played will also be different in season 24. This time, there will be two idols hidden at the camp — one for each tribe — but finding your tribe’s idol does not guarantee your safety. Instead, as Probst explains, “When you find the idol, you can’t use it for yourself. You have to give it to someone from the other tribe.” The trick will be picking the right person to give it to, and perhaps getting concessions in return — not to mention lobbying for the other team’s idol once someone finds it.

Here's the cast:

And Jeff's cast assessment:

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 6,767 • Replies: 91
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 01:09 pm
@boomerang,
Yup, I'll be watching. Hoping the usual bunch show up here.

Thoughts on the lineup for this season?
boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 01:15 pm
@Reyn,
I kind of like the Iraq War veteran/stand up comedian but it's just too hard to tell at this point. I looks like a good mix of people though.
Reyn

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 01:29 pm
@boomerang,
Lots of mostly "young pretty people" this year. It would be nice to see a bit more of an age mixture for my liking.

Having said that, my early favourite is Jonas, the Asian sushi chef.

Leif also intrigues me.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:48 pm
Gazing.

Joe(but not paying any attention)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 06:53 pm
I'll be watching.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 08:32 pm
Damn, I hate people who talk over other people!

Joe(that's all I'm saying.)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 12:13 am
Year after year, season after season, people go on Survivor and don't learn how to build a fire before they go. Are they that busy that they can't find a few minutes?

I also don't understand the Asian woman's desperation. She'd have fire after the council--one way or the other. Why did she make a deal with the other team without the total agreement of her own team?

I could go on about the people I don't like, people who were annoying, people who behaved badly.

I like one blonde woman so far. There's a chance I'll find somebody else to root for once things get rolling.

Reyn

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 08:58 am
@Roberta,
What amazed me last night, when I watched the show, was the design of the challenge where the one woman hurt herself! What were they thinking?

The drop into the net was too high, with too much scope for potential injuries!

I bet they'll never do one like that again. The person who did design it should get his butt fired!

It looks bad for the show when contestants get hurt.

Other than that, I agree with you, Roberta, that the woman team didn't try hard enough with the fire. This will only enhance the stereotyping.

Not sure about this season yet, although I already know who I don't like!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 09:36 am
It started already?! Dangit. Time to get the DVR working.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:02 am
I thought last night was pretty interesting. I was surprised that they split into teams so quickly, I thought they'd all pal around for at least a day.

I was really surprised that the girl gave away her immunity idol so quickly. I think I would have held on to it until the guys lost a challenge.

So far I like the girl who caught the chickens and the short girl with long curly hair.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 12:33 pm
@boomerang,
I don't understand why she just didn't pitch it into the jungle.
"Idol? Hell, no, I didn't see an idol?" <smirk>

Joe(and that guy! What a cliche!!)Nation
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:40 pm
McG, you can watch on-line with few commercials, that's what I just did.

Roberta, They don't learn to build fire beforehand because they aren't told they will be on the show until 48 hours before they leave for the island. The odds of a contestant actually getting picked is tiny, so people tend not to prepare.

I agree the women looked like a bunch of whiney wimps over the fire issue. They also should have held onto that axe and threatened any man who tried to grab their supplies. They seem insulted that the men won't help them, but I see no reason why they should. After all, it's a competition, not a debutant ball. I also don't think the women would have continued the challenge if handed a win, despite what they said.

Totally agree about the stupid net thing. It added nothing to the challenge other than creating a situation where a person could seriously hurt themselves. It's a boring when everyone stands around and stares at a hurt person.

Is there a rule about how long a person can hold onto the idol before giving it to the other team? That woman handed that idol over very fast. I thought she should try and get a better deal than just giving it to the guy with the biggest target on his back. I think it's going to come back to haunt her.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 08:46 am
Thanks GW. Watched it on Primetime on demand last night.

Could the gay guy get any gayer? There's nothing wrong with being gay, but there is no reason to be that much of a flamer. No respect for that. The alliances did seem to get set up fast though I doubt they last.

Sex stereotypes were in full effect though.
Reyn

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:49 am
@McGentrix,
I don't know. I can't velieve Nina was voted out yesterday. Voting along alliances again. In my opinion, a mistake.

[shakes head]

The way it's going, the men will have a cakewalk to the million dollars.
boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 09:14 am
@Reyn,
I can't believe the men won that challenge by the landslide they did. When they announced the challenge I thought the girls would kill it.

They're falling apart and next week looks unpromising for them to pull it together.

Having them all live together seems to be making the women less able.

Weird.
Reyn

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 03:46 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah, for my taste, I would have prefered mixed teams of young /old and men /women, rather than what we have here.

I think it makes for a better show.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 04:12 pm
Yes, I would also prefer more of a mix up. The sexes have different strengths and weaknesses and it's more interesting when they have to work with that directly. Some of the best alliances in the past have been between a man and woman. This current arrangement has everyone falling into stereotypes.

Coltan is just annoying at this point and that fool gave handed him the idol so he now is going to be around longer than he should. I hope he gets blindsided. Maybe one of the guys will steal it from him like they stole the axe from the women. I wonder if there is a rule about that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 04:21 pm
So. I didn't miss much by going to bed and curling up with my NetFlix.??

Joe(Girl w/Dragon Tattoo)Nation
Roberta

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 07:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
You missed nuttin'. I spent an hour of my valuable time watching.

IMO the challenge was designed to favor the women. Women are theoretically better at balance than men. Also smaller feet make staying on the beam easier. Dese wimmins are pathetic--and boring.

Do we have to wait for them to all be gone before things get interesting?