Mosque to be Built Near Ground Zero

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
a different definition of offensive...
Quote:
According to a recent Siena Research Institute poll, over half of New Yorkers polled think that the "Ground Zero Mosque" will promote racial and religious tolerance, or are open to the idea of it. Yet: 68% of Americans oppose it, despite the endorsements of New York City's mayor and the President of the United States of America. But that's not why you're wrong, America. This, however, is.

Via Tumblr editorial director TopherChris, here's a map of just how "Ground Zero" the "Ground Zero Mosque" is:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/tumblr_l77gx0WN7E1qz4u07o1_500.png.jpg

Quote:
The point is, it isn't. What's more offensive: Having a....

* "Ground Zero Burger King."
* Memorial that's never happened because of hyper-capitalist conflicts.
* Bunch of tacky souvenir tables.
* Bunch of tacky souvenir tables that profit off of cheap, China-made 9-11 memorabilia.
* Bunch of tacky souvenir tables that profit off of cheap, China-made 9-11 memorabilia when they're not selling fake Rolexes to the same Americans coming to New York, buying from them, going home, and telling New Yorkers where to put our Mosques.

or an Islamic Cultural Center with a 9/11 Memorial (more than what's actually been put to paper for an official 9/11 Memorial) two and a half blocks away?

Reminder: Muslims were victims of 9/11, too. Sorry, but it's true. And one was an NYPD cadet.

Source
High Seas

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:00 pm
@JPB,
You're right 2/3 of Manhattan supports building a mosque at 51 Park - maybe because we know the location?! But the opposition doesn't consist of "conservatives", whatever their religious persuasion. The rhetoric has got completely out of control, judging by those 2 excerpts:
Quote:
"I think the president's problem is that he was born a Muslim, his father was a Muslim. The seed of Islam is passed through the father like the seed of Judaism is passed through the mother. He was born a Muslim, his father gave him an Islamic name"..."Now it's obvious that the president has renounced the prophet Mohammed, and he has renounced Islam, and he has accepted Jesus Christ...."

and
Quote:
This kind of rhetoric has a strange historical antecedent in Jewish history. In the 1400s, in Spain, a movement arose that questioned the sincerity of those Jews who had previously converted to Catholicism. The profession of faith by these converts was not enough for many authorities -- they believed these ostensible Catholics still possessed the seed of Judaism, as it were, and they established the Inquisition to root out these false Christians.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/08/what-is-the-seed-of-islam/61875/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:09 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
over half of New Yorkers polled think that the "Ground Zero Mosque" will promote racial and religious tolerance, or are open to the idea of it
I have said that I think this project would promote tolerance, in fact I have stated this as one reasons I am against it. That is not what 9/11 was about, it has nothing to do with Americans being intolerant. it has a lot do do with other people being tolerant of radical Islam's intolerance towards the West to our expense, with Middle Eastern Nations refusal to take on the radicals, with Islamic clerics refusal to take on the radicals, with the Arab and Persian Inteligencias' refusal to take on the Islamic radicals.

To put this near ground zero is offensive.....we are not the problem.
JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:09 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Quote:
"I think the president's problem is that he was born a Muslim, his father was a Muslim. The seed of Islam is passed through the father like the seed of Judaism is passed through the mother. He was born a Muslim, his father gave him an Islamic name"..

Ay, yi, yi!!!
firefly

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I would object to this project being done anywhere in Manhattan.

You do realize that there is already a huge mosque/cultural center in Manhattan--the Islamic Cultural Center of NY (ICCNY), located at 96th street and 3rd avenue--don't you? And that one, which occupies about half a city block, cost about $70 million and was financed with money from foreign Arab governments, including Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and Libya, but mainly by Kuwait. It opened after the 1993 terrorist bombing at the WTC that killed 6 people and injured 1,042 others, and it has been open for the past 15 years without protests and howls about its existence.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/UES/091a.jpg
The Islamic Cultural Center of NY.

And there are at least 19 smaller mosques just in Manhattan.

So what difference does it make, Hawkeye, if there is one more built in lower Manhattan? That neighborhood you consider "sacred ground" also includes some pretty seedy strip clubs and bars.

And the actual pulverized remains of the 9/11 victims sit atop a landfill--a garbage dump--in Staten Island. So much for the notion of "sacred ground" and how we honor the memories of those killed on 9/11.

Quote:
when the lesson of 9/11 is the cost of tolerance

The lesson of 9/11 was that we needed better airport security and a President who was paying more attention to the chatter suggesting an impending attack on the U.S.. 19 men armed only with boxcutters should not have been able to hijack four planes simultaneously.

One very high profile Republican, whose wife died on 9/11, has come out in favor of the mosque being built in lower Manhattan.

Quote:

Ted Olson, Former Bush Solicitor General And Husband Of 9/11 Victim, Backs Obama On 'Ground Zero Mosque'
Updated: 08-18-10 05:08 PM

Ted Olson, former George W. Bush solicitor general, attorney behind the case against California's gay marriage ban, and husband of a woman who died aboard the plane that crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11, said Wednesday that President Obama was right about his analysis of the "Ground Zero Mosque" as a constitutional right protected by the First Amendment.

Olson's wife, conservative commentator and lawyer Barbara Olson, perished on September 11 aboard American Airlines Flight 77, the plane that was hijacked and flown in the Pentagon.

Asked on MSNBC about his opinion on the plans to construct a 13-story Islamic community center two blocks away from Ground Zero, Olson gave a response that served as a rather high profile departure from what has become the conservative norm on the issue.

"Well it may not make me hap-- popular with some people, but I think, probably, the president was right about this," Olson told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell. "I do believe that people of all religions have a right to build edifices, or structures, or places of religious worship or study where the community allows them to do it under zoning laws and that sort of thing, and that we don't want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists into an act of intolerance for people of religious faith. And I don't think it should be a political issue. It shouldn't be a Republican or Democratic issue, either. I believe Gov. Christie from New Jersey said it well, that this should not be in that political, partisan marketplace."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/18/liz-cheneys-keep-america-_n_686697.html

Olsen is right, "we don't want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists into an act of intolerance for people of religious faith".
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Um, I did in my small city, with it's quaint but iffy small downtown by the bay, and a newish mall. Walmart lost that one, something like 4000 votes to 2500. I'll admit that a lot of people's protest was re where it was going to be built, on the prime parcel in the city. If I remember, there were legal matters impeding it, that sparked the vote.

Anyone read Frank Rich's column today?
How Fox Betrayed Petraeus

I see his point (even though I was not for the Afghanistan situation in the first place, years ago, and am horrified now).
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:21 pm
@JPB,
Talk of the Spanish Inquisition (on same link) wasn't much better. However: senior Republicans are inclined to support the mosque:
Quote:
"It is very stupid, when Republicans are poised to win an overwhelming victory in November over Democratic spending to focus attention on this issue."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1275642&srvc=home&position=active
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You do realize that there is already a huge mosque/cultural center in Manhattan--the Islamic Cultural Center of NY (ICCNY), located at 96th street and 3rd avenue--don't you? And that one, which occupies about half a city block, cost about $70 million and was financed with money from foreign Arab governments, including Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and Libya, but mainly by Kuwait. It opened after the 1993 terrorist bombing at the WTC that killed 6 people and injured 1,042 others, and it has been open for the past 15 years without protests and howls about its existence.
that tells me that there is zero need for the project currently under consideration. There are after all about 200 mosques already in the city. This current project is wholly a finger in the eye. It also tells me that most of the 100 million is expected to come from non US Citizens, from in fact places that tolerate the existence of groups who wish to end the american way of life, from places that tolerate America only so long as we keep feeding them petro dollars.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
It also tells me that most of the 100 million is expected to come from non US Citizens.

Anyone here is free to donate to the Cordoba Institute. The link is here.

http://www.cordobainitiative.org/?q=content/donate

A donation is a great way to stand up to anti-Muslim hatred.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:46 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It opened after the 1993 terrorist bombing at the WTC that killed 6 people and injured 1,042 others, and it has been open for the past 15 years without protests and howls about its existence

You know damn well that the 1993 terrorist act and 9/11 are not similar in any way to the effect that they had on the soul of America, and that we are very much different people now both as a result of 9/11 and because we have come to the conclusion that we are a society in decline, who have since 1993 suffered multiple huge economic shocks and the failure of our political system. So much has changed for America in the interim that we might as well be comparing ancient history to today.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Anyone here is free to donate to the Cordoba Institute. The link is here.
that is for ongoing programs, not for this project. They have been advised by lawyers to not raise money until they have got the site approved and squared away. The owners are finally as of Friday saying that they might be willing to move to a new site, which will of course happen. I dont think that the Arabs are going to fund the current site because they have nothing to gain for getting into that hornets nest. In fact there is a split even amongst American Muslims about the wisdom of trying to do the project as currently envisioned.

What I expect is that the site will be moved, and that it will be massively shrunk because those who have the cash are not going to send a lot of it to these people in charge of this project, who have shown so far that they dont know WTF they are doing.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:02 pm
Obama a muslim Shocked

bout time this was brought to light
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:10 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Talk of the Spanish Inquisition (on same link) wasn't much better. However: senior Republicans are inclined to support the mosque:
Quote:
"It is very stupid, when Republicans are poised to win an overwhelming victory in November over Democratic spending to focus attention on this issue."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1275642&srvc=home&position=active

Interesting point. I think that the gamble is that this will help them.

I'll save my reaction for if it works.

If it works, it's creeps me out.
If it doesn't work, I'll be a little encouraged.

A
R
T
Intrepid

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

It also tells me that most of the 100 million is expected to come from non US Citizens, from in fact places that tolerate the existence of groups who wish to end the american way of life, from places that tolerate America only so long as we keep feeding them petro dollars.

You should be happy that 100 million dollars will be infused into the already struggling U.S. economy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:15 pm
@failures art,
It will play well to the 30% that would vote for them anyway.

It might help them if it motivates that 30% to vote, but I can't see the other 70% seeing it as an issue to vote Republican. The economy may drive people to do that.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
Quote:
So far, debate has been framed around whether a $100 million, 15-story Muslim community center and mosque should be built two blocks from where Islamic radicals brought down the World Trade Center. But interviews with people who know Rauf suggest that the project isn't much more than an idea and that Rauf's most controversial trait may be his ambition.

While he portrays himself as someone who runs two influential interfaith nonprofits (his Web site says he is "regarded as one of the world's most eloquent and erudite Muslim leaders"), neither have a staff, and the project that has inspired outrage hasn't even begun fundraising, said Rauf's wife and work partner, Daisy Khan.
Rabbi Leonard Schoolman, who hired Rauf in the late 1990s to teach about Islam at the Center for Religious Inquiry at St. Bartholomew's Church in Manhattan, and who is a strong supporter of the imam, called the project "amateur hour" and more of a publicity strategy than a reality, meant to promote the couple's interfaith work. Even with 50 media requests coming in per day, a part-time employee of the developer who owns the property has been the world's sole way of getting information in recent days, which he was sending out in occasionally snarky Tweets.

"I don't think either of them has the capacity or resources or anything else to pull this off," said Schoolman, who accompanied Rauf to a meeting with civic officials earlier in the 2000s to support the project at another location, farther uptown.

"I don't think he has a constituency in the Muslim community," said Schoolman, who has been to Masjid al Farah, the TriBeCa mosque at which Rauf has led services since 1983. "I think he's pretty much of a loner."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/22/AR2010082201850.html?hpid=topnews

Ambition being code for lack of contact with reality, the lack of ability to make things happen. So far Khan reports that there has been little interest from the Arabs to fund his dream, and I am pretty sure that it will stay that way. Still, until he gives up on this plan opposition is the order of the day.
JTT

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Ted says; "and that we don't want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists "

Hawk says: " places that tolerate the existence of groups who wish to end the american way of life, from places that tolerate America only so long as we keep feeding them petro dollars."

There's no denying that the relentless propaganda is effective.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:43 pm
I think the solution might be that the property should become a homeless shelter, since there are homeless that make the Wall Street area their home. Now would that not be a feather in the cap of Islam, so to speak, if they raised money to put a homeless shelter there?
failures art

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 09:32 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I think the solution might be that the property should become a homeless shelter, since there are homeless that make the Wall Street area their home. Now would that not be a feather in the cap of Islam, so to speak, if they raised money to put a homeless shelter there?

The community center is essentially the Muslim version of the YMCA. I imagine that a homeless young man...

would have a need to feel down. He could pick himself off the ground. Because he'd be in a new town. There's no need to be unhappy.

There's a place he could go. If he was short on his dough. He can stay there, and I'm sure he will find many ways to have a good time.

They have everything that you need to enjoy, and he can hang out with all the boys. He can get himself clean, he can have a good meal. He can do whatever he feels.

It's fun to stay at the NYIC.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:07 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Foofie wrote:

The community center is essentially the Muslim version of the YMCA.
The YMMA.
0 Replies