Mosque to be Built Near Ground Zero

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Hirabayashi won that case. Learn your history

Sorry but a lower court have no right to set aside a US Supreme court ruling even if no one saw fit to challenge the lower court ruling.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:18 pm
@BillRM,
From Wiki: (Maybe you'll learn something about American jurisprudence/)
Quote:
In 1980, President Jimmy Carter appointed a special commission to investigate the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. The commission concluded that the decisions to remove those of Japanese ancestry to prison camps occurred because of "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership". In 1988, Congress apologized and granted personal compensation of $20,000 to each surviving prisoner.

In the early 1980s, while researching a book on internment cases, lawyer and University of California, San Diego professor Peter Irons came across evidence that Charles Fahy, the Solicitor General of the United States who argued Korematsu v. United States before the Supreme Court, had deliberately suppressed reports from the FBI and military intelligence which concluded that Japanese-American citizens posed no security risk. These documents revealed that the military had lied to the Supreme Court, and that government lawyers had willingly made false arguments. Irons found that the Supreme Court’s decision was invalid since it was based on unsubstantiated facts, distortions, and misrepresentations. Along with a team of lawyers headed by Dale Minami, Irons petitioned for writs of error coram nobis with the federal courts, seeking to overturn Korematsu's conviction.

On November 10, 1983, Judge Marilyn Hall Patel of U.S. District Court in San Francisco formally vacated the conviction. Korematsu stood in front of US District Judge Marilyn Patel and said, “I would like to see the government admit that they were wrong and do something about it so this will never happen again to any American citizen of any race, creed, or color.”[25] He also said, “If anyone should do any pardoning, I should be the one pardoning the government for what they did to the Japanese-American people.” [26] Peter Irons described Korematsu’s ending statement during the case as the most powerful statement he’d ever heard from anyone. He related the statement as being as empowering as Martin Luther King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech.[27] Judge Patel’s ruling cleared Korematsu’s name, but did not overturn the Supreme Court’s decision.

President Bill Clinton awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the United States, to Korematsu in 1998, saying, "In the long history of our country's constant search for justice, some names of ordinary citizens stand for millions of souls. Plessy, Brown, Parks ... to that distinguished list, today we add the name of Fred Korematsu."
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Judge Patel’s ruling cleared Korematsu’s name, but did not overturn the Supreme Court’s decision.

All that is fine but is still does not change the fact that the Supreme Court is the only court with the power to set aside it own rulings and in another time of emergency Korematsu 327 US 214 1944 is still the law of the land.

All the rest is a nice show but have no force of law..............if challenge.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:25 pm
@BillRM,
Wrong; you don't understand US laws. Try to educate yourself - on most things that happens to be related to the US Constitution.

The SC can overturn a lower courts ruling, but when they don't, it becomes the law.

You don't understand anything about the US.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The SC can overturn a lower courts ruling, but when they don't, it becomes the law.

Judge Patel’s ruling cleared Korematsu’s name, but did not overturn the Supreme Court’s decision.

Bullshit read your own damn posting.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:31 pm
@BillRM,
I see that you have not watched the video that I shared with you or you were not able to understand it.

You may find a interest in ethics and neuroscience if you really do care about humanity. There are many other subjects to be studied as well but this would be a good place to start!

I will share with you again two very good videos, the first one has to do with apes and humans and the second video is a neuroscientist speaking about human values.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4AjD1fUaw

part 1 of 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5WToODdmUo

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh, I hate to tell you this, no I do not the likely reason they played games in courts below the Supreme Court level, is that the government have no desire at all to set aside the Korematsu decision in case that in another time of national emergency they would still have the power to round up another group of citizens if need be.

The Korematsu decision on the power of the government in a national emergency still stand today as must as it did the day it was sign.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:44 pm
@BillRM,
Our court system is not "playing games." You are stupid.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Our court system is not "playing games." You are stupid.

Live in your dream world all you wish to.............
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:50 pm
@BillRM,
I live in the real world; you're the one who doesn't understand what the real world is like. Most of us live by our court systems that includes local, state, and federal. They all apply.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 02:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Lord I suggest you do not try to become a lawyer the Supreme Court is the last word in our system but if you wish to think otherwise feel free to do so.

Oh feel free to disregard parts of your own posting for that matter............

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 03:02 pm
@BillRM,
Rather than making foolish suggestions that I not become a lawyer, why don't you address the issues being discussed?

I have been retired since 1998 after a short career in management positions, and now enjoy world travel.

You're dumber than a rock. A rock has value to humans, and you have none.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 03:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're dumber than a rock. A rock has value to humans, and you have none.

That may or may not be however, the Korematus decision of 1944 still is the law of the land waiting to be used by any future government at need.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 03:14 pm
@BillRM,
I quit; you're just wasting time with ignorance.
failures art

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 03:24 pm
@NonPCBill,
NonPCBill wrote:

I'm wondering if you know all of their reactions on 911. Did they cry or clap?

I'd imagine they cried. They are New Yorkers and not an anti-American group.

Beyond that, the Cordoba House is building a memorial to those who died on 9/11 at Park 51. This means they are ahead of both NY state and city on honoring those who died.

Want a good reason to build Park 51?

1) Recreational facilities. The building will offer services to the community (not just Muslims) similar to that of a YMCA. This is a good thing. Do you disagree.

2) The Mosque inside of Park 51 will allow for more space for it's members. Currently the mosque facility in use is too small for the number of people who attend it. It seems only rational to build a larger space to accommodate for your members does it not? What is wrong with building a better space? Also, the current mosque is already in the neighborhood. Why would they need to move the new mosque away from the community it already serves?

A
R
T
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes facts are a killer to silly wishful thinking and always had been.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:46 pm
@BillRM,
Korematsu remains on the pages of our legal and political history. As a legal precedent it is now recognized as having very limited application. As historical precedent it stands as a constant caution that in times of war or declared military necessity our institutions must be vigilant in protecting constitutional guarantees. It stands as a caution that in times of distress the shield of military necessity and national security must not be used to protect governmental actions from close scrutiny and accountability. It stands as a caution that in times of international hostility and antagonisms our institutions, legislative, executive and judicial, must be prepared to exercise their authority to protect all citizens from the petty fears and prejudices that are so easily aroused
Intrepid

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:04 pm
@BillRM,
I see that you have diverted the thread to the Japanese from the Muslims. You seem to hate everybody.

Oh, and I think CI was very unfair to rocks to compare them to you. They do seem to provide a cover for you to remain under.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
As a legal precedent it is now recognized as having very limited application

By who is it claimed not to have limited applications?

In any case a President can always suspend Habeas Corpus Rights under the constitution.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:51 pm
@Intrepid,
CI was crying about the Japanese Americans not me fool and I love him having the guts to compare such camps to the Nazis death camps.

You have to had a sick soul indeed to claim that one have anything to do with the other.