Mosque to be Built Near Ground Zero

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:26 am
Much to the consternation of many, there is a plan to build a large mosque on a site near where the World Trade Center was destroyed. Some people were attempting to declare the building that is now in existence a landmark. If that had passed, the building would not be able to be modified. The lawsuit was denied, and the developers are going ahead with the plans.

Personally, I find the whole idea abhorrent. New York is a big city, and there are plenty of places where the group could build a mosque. It seems perverse, to put it mildly, for the Islamic group to pick that particular spot to build their mosque. If one would let his paranoia run rampant.........................well, I won't even get into THAT! Evil or Very Mad

What do you think? Is ground zero an appropriate place for a mosque?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/religion/article1112951.ece
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 46 • Views: 140,075 • Replies: 3,278

Intrepid

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:29 am
@Phoenix32890,
Hi Phoenix
Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFzFIDbKpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:41 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Much to the consternation of many, there is a plan to build a large mosque on a site near where the World Trade Center was destroyed. Some people were attempting to declare the building that is now in existence a landmark. If that had passed, the building would not be able to be modified. The lawsuit was denied, and the developers are going ahead with the plans.

Personally, I find the whole idea abhorrent. New York is a big city, and there are plenty of places where the group could build a mosque. It seems perverse, to put it mildly, for the Islamic group to pick that particular spot to build their mosque. If one would let his paranoia run rampant.........................well, I won't even get into THAT! Evil or Very Mad

What do you think? Is ground zero an appropriate place for a mosque?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/religion/article1112951.ece

It is a way for the Moslems to GLOAT over their military success of 9/11/1.

Its like the Moslems putting their flag where the World Trade Center was.

Its like planting a Japanese flag in Pearl Harbor.

David
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:51 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid- Now I have, and that clip exactly mirrored my "paranoia". When I heard about the mosque, my first thoughts were how an army plants its flag on a battlefield after they have won a battle.

I don't live in N.Y., and I was never much of a "protester" when I was younger. But, if I did live there, I would be picketing, and raising a huge ruckus.

Thanks for pointing me to that clip!
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Its like the Moslems putting their flag where the World Trade Center was.

Its like planting a Japanese flag in Pearl Harbor.

I wrote my post before I read yours. We obviously had a similar reaction.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:01 am
@Phoenix32890,
I don't live in the U.S. and it still angers me.

Insensitive probably doesn't begin to list the adjectives.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:01 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
Hi Phoenix
Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFzFIDbKpg

That gentleman rendered a very logical and indicative presentation.

David
Intrepid

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes. He does.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:04 am

It is another DISGRACE, cowardly disgrace, that thay r not re-building the World Trade Center.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David- Who said that they are not rebuilding? Like everything in NY, projects have to go through a plethora of committees and bureaucrats, before they finally decide to actually DO something. According to the following, the site is set to reopen in 2013.

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/construction/project_updates/freedom_tower_26204.aspx
dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:11 am
@Phoenix32890,
from what I understand (not very much) the i's are dotted and the t's crossed; it's a done deal. protest can only agitate emotions, not change outcome. in a couple of years the mosque will be completed. It is now only a political hot button and I think we have enough of those already.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:17 am
@dyslexia,
dys- I'm not so sure about that. The guys in the 1960's sure knew how to kick up a bit, and made some significant changes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
David- Who said that they are not rebuilding? Like everything in NY, projects have to go through a plethora of committees and bureaucrats, before they finally decide to actually DO something. According to the following, the site is set to reopen in 2013.

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/construction/project_updates/freedom_tower_26204.aspx

No; thay r just going to put up some junior version
of a low-rise building, allowing the Moslems to have the final word
against NYC having tall buildings. Thay shoud re-build the WTC,
but thay r not even considering that. Shameful.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:21 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
from what I understand (not very much) the i's are dotted and the t's crossed; it's a done deal. protest can only agitate emotions, not change outcome. in a couple of years the mosque will be completed. It is now only a political hot button and I think we have enough of those already.
I wonder whether the mosque will get bombed.

I hear that thay have not begun to raise funds for it.
Maybe it will never be built.

Still, with their oil money, thay can finance it with alien donations.

David
roger

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm wondering why the would even want to build their mosque there. To prove they can?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:31 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

dys- I'm not so sure about that. The guys in the 1960's sure knew how to kick up a bit, and made some significant changes.
well, I suppose that when all legal/regulatory/constitutional criteria are met, I'm going to stick with basic civil rights rather than "I don't like the idea of it" thinking.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:37 am
@Phoenix32890,
http://wonkette.com/417009/attention-bigots-there-is-already-a-mosque-near-the-wtc-site
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:41 am
@dyslexia,
dys- Normally, I would agree with you. The problem is, that was happened at Ground Zero, was, shall we say, "abnormal"?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:41 am
I am mightily pissed off about this.

I don't believe that it just happened that the mosque is being built there.

Snarling on the upper east side. Grrrrrrrrrr
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:44 am
@DrewDad,
A little storefront mosque that had been there for years, and plans to build a megamosque, are two entirely different things!
0 Replies