Mosque to be Built Near Ground Zero

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's not merely disgusting ****; they still call the Burlington Coat Factory as "ground zero." What's the matter with their brains?

As ehbeth said
Quote:
It's a political game. Emotional string-pulling in advance of an election.

The "Ground Zero" angle is what gives the whole mosque controversy it's "emotional string-pulling". If they didn't keep referring to the Burlington Coat Factory as being at "Ground Zero" no one would care about this issue (except the anti-Muslim zealots who don't want mosques being built anyway).

This is a game being played by both the political and religious right. It is also the Tea Party movement flexing its muscles, and they have latched onto this mosque controversy as a quasi "patriotic" issue. The head of the Tea Party Express referred to Muslims as worshiping a "monkey-god". And the Tea Party is showing it can intimidate Republicans into jumping on the anti-mosque bandwagon because they are worried about the upcoming November elections.

They are already running political ads in NY that focus on, and exploit, the mosque controversy, like this one for Rick Lazio, the Republican/Conservative candidate for governor.

An even more inflammatory ad, sponsored by the National Republican Trust has been rejected by several NY TV stations who have refused to run it.

Quote:

Two Networks Reject Anti-Mosque TV Ad
July 15, 2010 10:59 am ET
by Joe Strupp

Two broadcast networks have refused to run a controversial ad (below) that opposes the creation of a mosque near the former site of the World Trade Center in New York.

WPIX TV in New York reported late Wednesday: "The ad begins with a Muslim call to prayer, then images of terrorism. The narrator then proclaims mosque supporters rejoice in the 9/11 murder.

"NBC and CBS, have rejected the commercial, claiming the message is insensitive to Muslims because it confuses moderate Islam with violent Jihad."

Hollywood Reporter adds that ABC and Fox have not been approached to run the ad.

WPIX also stated: A rejection letter from NBC reads, "The word 'they' as referenced in the spot makes it unclear as to whether the reference is to terrorists or to the Islamic religious organization that is sponsoring the building of the mosque. Consequently, the ad is not responsible under our guidelines for broadcast."

The ad is sponsored by the National Republican Trust, a political action committee. Its website offers the following description and mission:

The National Republican Trust Political Action Committee (NRT PAC) was formed as an independent organization to help promote American values and support federal candidates for Congress, Senate and the Presidency who share those values.
http://mediamatters.org/strupp/201007150018

This is that ad...

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:52 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
This is a game being played by both the political and religious right
no, this goes much deeper, is much more serious than that. This is about a fundamental disagreement about what America is all about, and about the increasing distance between the leaders and the lead, and part of a continuum of late where what the people want does not count for much. This is an expression of lack of control over our destiny, and striving for control and a fight about what direction we should go in. This fight breaking out in the open is not a sign that American have gone nuts as Dowd claims http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/opinion/22dowd.html?hp
it is the predictable outcome when the nations political system breaks down, when these disputes can not be resolved in the normal way.

This is yet another area where you firefly refuse to take those who disagree with you seriously, you refuse to extend simple ******* human courtesy.
JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
What the people want? I thought the anti-sentiments were primarily coming from outside of NYC. What difference does it make what the people outside of NYC want?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:31 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
What the people want? I thought the anti-sentiments were primarily coming from outside of NYC.
What difference does it make what the people outside of NYC want?
So far as sentiments r concerned,
the polls show most citizens of NYC disapproving of that mosque.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Fifty-two percent of the respondents said they did not want the mosque to be built at all, 31 percent are in favor of it, and 17 percent are undecided
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/New-Yorkers-Oppose-Ground-Zero-Mosque-Poll-97602569.html

Quote:
The Siena College poll showed 63 percent of New York voters surveyed oppose the project, with 27 percent supporting it. That compares with 64 percent opposed and 28 percent in favor two weeks earlier, results that are within the polls' sampling margins.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ground_zero_mosque_poll
JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
From your link

Quote:
Broken down by borough, Manhattan was the most in favor of the mosque, with only 36 percent of residents against it. On the other end of the spectrum was Staten Island, where 73 percent of respondents were opposed.

"Liberal Manhattan accepts the mosque and trusts Islam," observed Carroll. "Staten Island, where there's controversy about another proposed mosque, is more skeptical."

Seems to me this isn't necessarily about sacred space.
firefly

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
This is about a fundamental disagreement about what America is all about, and about the increasing distance between the leaders and the lead, and part of a continuum of late where what the people want does not count for much. This is an expression of lack of control over our destiny, and striving for control and a fight about what direction we should go in.

That's just what the Tea Party movement has been saying, that's why the Tea Parties exist. But, when people like that talk about, "taking our country back" they are also saying they don't like the fact that non-whites will soon outnumber whites in the U.S. because of all those blacks and Latinos, they don't want mosques built because this threatens Christian values, they really don't accept the legitimacy of a black President, and they want America to remain under the control of white anglo-saxons. With all the talk about small government and fiscal responsibility, a large dose of bigotry also appears to infuse Tea Party rallies.

People have the same control over their destiny they have always had--and that control is exercised at the ballot box. There is no separation between the government and the people.

And none of this has anything to do with whether a mosque can be built in lower Manhattan.

And there is no reason that the National Republican Trust should be trying to run anti-Muslim ads on TV stations in NY. This mosque controversy has nothing to do with the major issues affecting the country. This is the Republican party trying to play the "terrorist card" to get votes in November. If they had decent candidates, and decent solutions to our national problems, they wouldn't have to resort to stirring up anti-Muslim sentiment and fears in order to get votes.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:58 pm
@JPB,
what difference does it make what people inside NYC want?

I didn't get to vote on Walmart building in my city.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:01 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Seems to me this isn't necessarily about sacred space
because of what happened there, and as a result of what happened there, ground zero does not belong only to Manhattan. What ever takes place around that site should take into consideration the desires of all of America.
sumac

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:03 pm
@JPB,
Is there something sacred about where people die? I think not.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:04 pm
@Rockhead,
There's more than one way to make your voice heard. I'm a regular thorn in the sides of the folks making decisions that effect me. I may not get to vote, but I can certainly make sure that those who do so know how I feel about the issues before them.
firefly

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
because of what happened there, and as a result of what happened there, ground zero does not belong only to Manhattan. What ever takes place around that site should take into consideration the desires of all of America.

What a load of bull that is. Ground Zero belongs to private developers and the Port Authority. The surrounding neighborhood belongs to whoever wants to build there.
0 Replies

sumac

But a tandem issue is that of what weight does the peoples' views carry?
0 Replies

JPB

@hawkeye10,
Even if I agreed with you (which I don't), it's not being built on ground zero. What are the perimeters that you think all of America gets to weigh in on?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:07 pm
@JPB,
I rarely see TV, but this whole silliness has pulled way more than it's 15 minutes.

it is a run down blighted old burlington factory for cripes sake...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:26 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
What are the perimeters that you think all of America gets to weigh in on?
anything that is offensive, which shits on the 9/11 event or Ground Zero. This $100 million project just two bocks off, that in all likelihood would be funded mostly by foreigners and which promotes tolerance when the lesson of 9/11 is the cost of tolerance....is offensive. When and if the Islamics ever put down the radicals who desire to end the west we will talk, till they need to stay far far away from ground zero. I would object to this project being done anywhere in Manhattan.

Edit: This project is offensive in Manhattan, where it should be placed is in Riyadh. In fact I would even consider and joint project, one monument to religious tolerance at the site in exchange for one near a major downtown Mosque in Riyadh. Till then the answer is NO.
JTT

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Let them build it then y'all can put thru a constitutional amendment declaring all Moslem/Islam owned property to be the property of the US government.

If they aren't entitled to the riches/resources of their own lands why should they be allowed to own anything in the US?
JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
I said perimeters not parameters. Even so, your parameters are whacked too. Fortunately, your NO is about as meaningful to the outcome as the value you bring to the discussion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:49 pm
@JTT,
huh? Their own lands? Dude - these are American muslims trying to build a place of worship. WTF are you talking about?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:50 pm
@JPB,
Damned 14th amendment.
0 Replies