Republican Idaho Senator arrested in ariport

aaronssongs

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:03 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;33511 wrote:
I accept her, just not her lifestyle. It's much the same as if I had a child with a drug habit. I would still love her but not allow her to use drugs in my presence.

I have a very loving relationship with this daughter. We speak or see each other almost every day. Probably better than most relationships. She just knows that I cannot accept her choices. You can always love a child but not love what they do.

Her new found sexuality destroyed two family units (and marriages of 15 or more years) and left 7 kids wondering what the heck happened to their moms. They are ones that have to suffer the consquences of their decisions. Yes, it might be bad if it would have been a hetersexual relationship, but this adds a little more bewilderment to the whole situation.

Do you see how disingenuous you are? You would liken sexual orientation or preference with drug abuse. That you could do that, and would actually go there, speaks to the underlying problem, that ignorance and prejudice is pervasive and endemic.
Were you to divorce your husband, you'd expect your daughter to be understanding in the matter, but would be bewildered if she were to shun you totally, because she didn't agree with your decision...yet, she'd be loving you from a distance, right? Hogwash.
I think it's precisely because of stigma, and intolerance that people are not free to discover who and what they really are, until it's quite late, and find themselves having to deal with the aftermath, of failed marriages and confused children, which may or may not have occurred due to parental or societal pressures, or for appearance's sake.
Very telling that the most important thing (for you) is the fact 2 family units were destroyed, a marriage of 15 +yrs, and 7 kids in the fray....yet, to claim to love your daughter, but she was unmentioned in that group. What about the pain she endured...not caused? Could she have turned to her mother for reassurance, and understanding? Apparently not. So blame her. Geez. Some mom.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:07 pm
@aaronssongs,
Aaron,

No guilt trips for me! I have standards I live by. These standards include a moral code. Having an affair of any orientation isn't something I agree with. If your relationship is bad, get out of it and then go sleep around if you must.

Being gay is against my moral code as well. It's the same as abortion. These are things I personally disagree with. I do not go around town carrying signs against it. I do not shun those people around me who are involved with these things. And I do not or will not encourage or condone it.

The family unit is a strong principle in my moral makeup. Both of these things destroy or inhibit the growth of family units within society.

As for my relationship with my daughter - well we just had lunch together. When she was going through her "changes" we talked at length. Often times in tears. She understood from the beginning that it would not be a relationship that would be acceptable by the family. It's wasn't even the idea of her being gay, it was the idea of leaving three children and a wonderful husband (who was broken hearted) for an abusive, possessive, mean-spirited person. Like one other daughter said, "We wouldn't have accepted this from a man, why should we accept it from this woman?"

If she would have come to the realization she was gay in the beginning it would have been an extremely hard situation for our family but we would have accepted it and her partner. But, we still wouldn't have agreed with it or condoned it. That goes against my principles and beliefs. Reassurance and understanding? For what? For doing something that I believe is morally wrong? Wouldn't I be a hypocrate if I did that?

Being gay is not like having a disability! It is a lifestyle CHOICE.

I like people for who they are, but I don't have to like them for their moral choices. I can like a fellow worker but I don't have to condone the fact that she falls into bed with every guy she meets.

Discovering who or what you really are? If you are born a man you are a man! Sorry, it's not like choosing a career!
FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:12 pm
@aaronssongs,
Sens. Norm Coleman (R-MN) and John McCain (R-AZ) have become the first members of the Senate to call for Sen. Larry Craig (R-ID) to resign over his arrest for alleged “lewd conduct” in an airport bathroom. Craig, who was arrested in June, pled guilty to “disorderly conduct” charges on August 8, though the plea was kept secret until Roll Call newspaper broke the story on Monday.

The AP reports, “Sen. Norm Coleman of Minnesota, where Craig was arrested, became the first Senate Republican to say Craig should leave office. ‘Senator Craig pled guilty to a crime involving conduct unbecoming a senator,’ he said in a statement. ‘He should resign.’
westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:28 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33574 wrote:
Sens. Norm Coleman (R-MN) and John McCain (R-AZ) have become the first members of the Senate to call for Sen. Larry Craig (R-ID) to resign over his arrest for alleged “lewd conduct” in an airport bathroom. Craig, who was arrested in June, pled guilty to “disorderly conduct” charges on August 8, though the plea was kept secret until Roll Call newspaper broke the story on Monday.

The AP reports, “Sen. Norm Coleman of Minnesota, where Craig was arrested, became the first Senate Republican to say Craig should leave office. ‘Senator Craig pled guilty to a crime involving conduct unbecoming a senator,’ he said in a statement. ‘He should resign.’

Most people here are calling for his resignation immediately. How can anyone defend his actions? His speech last night just made me angry. It's like, you got caught, now fess up and move out!

If he had been representing a different constiuency it would be different but not as a conservative republican that was elected on the fact that he supported anti-gay legislation.

"I'm not gay. [SIZE="1"]I am bi-sexual[/SIZE]." - Larry Craig..... Me doth think he protest too much.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:41 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;33466 wrote:
How do you think it is for me, a gay man, and I see a boy and a girl, or a woman and a man, lip-locked, on a city bus, or in a mall...acting like it's ok to be vulgar and obvious, in public? Why not get a hotel room, because that's what it looks like you should be doing. No one should have to see public displays from anyone, straight or gay...but just because society considers it the norm, straights are not afraid to shove it in peoples' faces...because on some level it's acceptable.
There is such a thing as tact and decorum. And it's an equal opportunity device. AIDS is rampant in the heterosexual community, in case you didn't know....gay statistics are falling.
I don't believe in promiscuity...and contrary to popular belief, some gay folks are faithful and devout in their committed relationships....just like some straight folks are.....a whole lot of straight folks aren't ...so lets be clear and fair.
And please stop with the patronization...."some of my best friends are"....
How cliche. get over yourselves.

The issue was not about you.
aaronssongs

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:00 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33572 wrote:
Aaron,

No guilt trips for me! I have standards I live by. These standards include a moral code. Having an affair of any orientation isn't something I agree with. If your relationship is bad, get out of it and then go sleep around if you must.

Being gay is against my moral code as well. It's the same as abortion. These are things I personally disagree with. I do not go around town carrying signs against it. I do not shun those people around me who are involved with these things. And I do not or will not encourage or condone it.

The family unit is a strong principle in my moral makeup. Both of these things destroy or inhibit the growth of family units within society.

As for my relationship with my daughter - well we just had lunch together. When she was going through her "changes" we talked at length. Often times in tears. She understood from the beginning that it would not be a relationship that would be acceptable by the family. It's wasn't even the idea of her being gay, it was the idea of leaving three children and a wonderful husband (who was broken hearted) for an abusive, possessive, mean-spirited person. Like one other daughter said, "We wouldn't have accepted this from a man, why should we accept it from this woman?"

If she would have come to the realization she was gay in the beginning it would have been an extremely hard situation for our family but we would have accepted it and her partner. But, we still wouldn't have agreed with it or condoned it. That goes against my principles and beliefs. Reassurance and understanding? For what? For doing something that I believe is morally wrong? Wouldn't I be a hypocrate if I did that?

Being gay is not like having a disability! It is a lifestyle CHOICE.

I like people for who they are, but I don't have to like them for their moral choices. I can like a fellow worker but I don't have to condone the fact that she falls into bed with every guy she meets.

Discovering who or what you really are? If you are born a man you are a man! Sorry, it's not like choosing a career!

It is very sad that you are as small-minded as I suspected that you were.
You have standards that you live by? And no one has any, right? A moral code? Are you always moral? You are not having to sleep with daughter's partner...she is. So how are you affected? Do you view their activities on webcam, or something?Is it hooked up to their bedroom? How would you be affected one way or another?

Being gay is against your moral code....so, don't be gay. Abortion is against your moral code...don't have an abortion. But who are you to tell someone else what is right for them. Mother or not...she is a grown woman. Able to make her own decisions and mistakes, as you are. How self-righteous, of you?
Her sins are greater than yours, right? You are the bastion of the community, right? I'm sure it's more about how people might perceive "you" than any wayward glances or whispering about your daughter. Vanity, which is supposed to be a sin, right? You care more about yourself, obviously, than any of your children.

You have the right not to condone or encourage anything...and my recommendation to your daughter, would be to distance herself from the likes of you, and to find another "mother figure", who would be more loving and more tolerant.
My mother never enforced her will upon me...she trusted that I would make the best decisions for myself, based on how she raised me, and the values she instilled in me....I'm sure she would have preferred that I would have been a straight man....but she never stopped loving or supporting me, when the truth came to light. And do you think she "failed in her role as mother"???? If anyone is in heaven, it would be my mother...she has a place "", "closest" to The King. Trust me, she was holier than you or anybody else I ever met. And that's enough said about that.
And for your information, being gay is not a choice or a "lifestyle", any more than being "straight" is a "lifestyle", or choice...if it were, who would freely choose it? Being the object of hate, ridicule, and scorn???...yeah, that's what I want...sign me up.

"The family unit is a strong principle in my moral makeup. Both of these things destroy or inhibit the growth of family units within society."

Excuse me, but I come from a "single parent home"...and my mother was both mom and dad to my brother and I...she sent us to private parochial school, at great sacrifice...are you telling me that we did not have a "family unit"???

I have a partner of 5 yrs....devoted and committed. Are you telling me that we are not a family?
Who are you to decide what a family should look like? A family is not just the traditional view, ....a mom, a pop, 2 kids, and a dog, and apple pie and a chicken in a pot....it is bigger than your small brain.
I suggest that you, indeed, are a hypocrite, and that your daughter would be better off, distancing herself from you and your poison.
FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:10 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;33586 wrote:

Being gay is against your moral code....so, don't be gay. Abortion is against your moral code...don't have an abortion. But who you to tell someone else what is right for them.

Quite a shame that people that are instructed by their "religion" not to judge are the worst judgement offenders.

Quote:
but she never stopped loving or supporting me, when the truth came to light.

You mean she loves you UNCONDITIONALLY???

People can learn a lot from her.

I applaud her as well as you for your courage.

Peace.
aaronssongs

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:11 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33574 wrote:

Oh, you know Republicans can hold their noses, and look the other way...when it's about them.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:16 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;33582 wrote:
The issue was not about you.

Oh, but when she wrote the following:

" Originally stated by westernmom View Post
SoCal,

Thanks! I know that doesn't make me sound very tolerant but I have my personal opinions on the gay lifestyle and how it is tearing down the fabric of our society. Maybe it is becoming socially acceptable but watching what happens to the family unit in the future will be the undoing of this country as we know it.

Just listening to the stories that are being told today about the common practices that are happening in truck stops, men's restrooms, etc. is darn scary. And they wonder how aids is being spread???

Oh, by the way, my hairdresser is gay. He's a great person! But, he never trys to shove his lifestyle in my face. My daughter's favorite riding coach was a lesbian but she never brought it up around us. That's one of my biggest gripes. They are constantly whining to us about their rights and their gay lifestyle."

...it immediately became about me, as a gay man.
So find you some business.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:22 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33588 wrote:
Quite a shame that people that are instructed by their "religion" not to judge are the worst judgement offenders.

You mean she loves you UNCONDITIONALLY???

People can learn a lot from her.

I applaud her as well as you for your courage.

Peace.

Thank you for your kind sentiments...
It's written, in scripture, "judge not , lest ye be judged" and "judgement is mine, saith the Lord"....but I have never been able to reconcile the number of incidences of people judging other people than those on the right, and so-called Christians, and conservatives ( who are some of the biggest hypocrites in the world, such as this Larry Craig of Idaho, prime example)
Folks ought to just mind their own business, which they don't even do well, and get out of other folkses.
westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:30 pm
@aaronssongs,
Aaron,

It is you who are small-minded because I gave my opinion and feelings on a subject - not a personal attack of any one person - and you blasted me! I can't voice my opinions??? Where's my free speech? If I sat you down and thumped you on the head and screamed them at you then you would have the right to call me small minded. Small minded because I don't agree with you? Who are you??? No one I care about!

I would bet you a million dollars that if you asked my daughter about me she would tell you that I am the best mom in the world. How often to do you call or go see your mom? I hear from each of my five kids each and every day. And, they are all grown with families of their own.

I didn't force my will on her. I just told her that her choices weren't acceptable to me. She still had the right to make up her own mind and go the direction that she chose. She is still very much in my life. That's also her choice. We just don't talk about her sex life!!! Now, that makes me a bad mother and she should distance herself??? When she needed surgery last year I was the person she wanted with her. As I was when she had each of her children, etc.

As far as how the community perceives me? I could care less about that. Yes, I am an active person that is well known in my community. I have never tried to hide the fact that my daughter's choices have made us all very sad. This because of how it has affected her children and wonderful son in law - who has since remarried but is still very much a part of our lives.

I sit with my daughter at football games, I go out with her to public resturants, I invite her to participate in community service activites, I take her shopping, etc. I'm not ashamed of her. She is a vibrant, well loved person and I am proud of her accomplishments. But, I am not proud of her leaving her family.

Fedup,

It's not my "religion" that instructs me on this. This is a personal matter that I have a right to accept or reject. I am not a brainwashed ninny that needs to be told what or what not to believe in. Why do I have to be forced to accept something that I don't want to? I don't believe in a welfare state and giving my tax dollars to lazy people. Are you going to tell me that my religion tells me to be that way? How droll of you...
westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:33 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;33596 wrote:
Folks ought to just mind their own business, which they don't even do well, and get out of other folkses.

Only if it goes along with what you believe! I did not direct my original post to you. You jumped into my business with both left feet!
FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:41 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33599 wrote:
AaronFedup,

It's not my "religion" that instructs me on this. This is a personal matter that I have a right to accept or reject. I am not a brainwashed ninny that needs to be told what or what not to believe in. Why do I have to be forced to accept something that I don't want to? I don't believe in a welfare state and giving my tax dollars to lazy people. Are you going to tell me that my religion tells me to be that way? How droll of you...

My post you are referrencing was more toward a "general" audience and not targeted at you specifically. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. You have posted in kindness to me in past posts and I respect that.

The battle you and aaron seem to be having has turned ugly and thats when communication breaks down, dividing human beings for having opposing points of view. Insults and witty put downs only produce hard feelings.
westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:45 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33602 wrote:
My post you are referrencing was more toward a "general" audience and not targeted at you specifically. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. You have posted in kindness to me in past posts and I respect that.

The battle you and aaron seem to be having has turned ugly and thats when communication breaks down, dividing human beings for having opposing points of view. Insults and witty put downs only produce hard feelings.

I agree on the battle thing. I stated an opinion and used a personal example. I guess I opened the door on that one but having personal experiences is how I have become the person I have.

I haven't attacked "him" yet... Hmmm..... What weapon should I use?
FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:52 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33604 wrote:
I agree on the battle thing. I stated an opinion and used a personal example. I guess I opened the door on that one but having personal experiences is how I have become the person I have.

I haven't attacked "him" yet... Hmmm..... What weapon should I use?

May I suggest you showing him the weapon of tolerance. As with your daughter, you don't have to like his or anyones lifestyle, just respect him as a fellow human being.

As I must respect Christians, allthough I don't agree with their lifestyle.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:53 pm
@aaronssongs,
Tolerance...... Does that have one blade or two????
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:58 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33609 wrote:
Tolerance...... Does that have one blade or two????

Goes to show, mom is someone to be reckoned with.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 04:00 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33599 wrote:
Aaron,

It is you who are small-minded because I gave my opinion and feelings on a subject - not a personal attack of any one person - and you blasted me! I can't voice my opinions??? Where's my free speech? If I sat you down and thumped you on the head and screamed them at you then you would have the right to call me small minded. Small minded because I don't agree with you? Who are you??? No one I care about!

I stand by my assertion. It was not an attack...it was commentary based on your beliefs...you're the one who initially "went off" on gays and their "lifestyles". No one is usurping your right to "free speech"...we both are entitled to our views...no matter what those views say about us as people.
I am me. That's who I am. Proud and not to be belittled or made to feel less than by the likes of you, holier than thou

I would bet you a million dollars that if you asked my daughter about me she would tell you that I am the best mom in the world. How often to do you call or go see your mom? I hear from each of my five kids each and every day. And, they are all grown with families of their own.

My mom passed away in 1989...and not a day goes by, that I don't think of her, or am not influenced by her example.

I didn't force my will on her. I just told her that her choices weren't acceptable to me. She still had the right to make up her own mind and go the direction that she chose. She is still very much in my life. That's also her choice. We just don't talk about her sex life!!! Now, that makes me a bad mother and she should distance herself??? When she needed surgery last year I was the person she wanted with her. As I was when she had each of her children, etc.

On the contrary, you have de facto, imposed your will on her...it's either your way or the highway. She is not free to make up her own mind, or go the direction she chooses...because you have made that a caveat.
Why she chooses to stay plugged in to you, is beyond me.

As far as how the community perceives me? I could care less about that. Yes, I am an active person that is well known in my community. I have never tried to hide the fact that my daughter's choices have made us all very sad. This because of how it has affected her children and wonderful son in law - who has since remarried but is still very much a part of our lives.

I sit with my daughter at football games, I go out with her to public resturants, I invite her to participate in community service activites, I take her shopping, etc. I'm not ashamed of her. She is a vibrant, well loved person and I am proud of her accomplishments. But, I am not proud of her leaving her family.

Really? If you're proud, you have a funny way of showing it...she should be privy to this forum...I doubt if she would be as proud of you, as you are of her
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 04:02 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33600 wrote:
Only if it goes along with what you believe! I did not direct my original post to you. You jumped into my business with both left feet!

You made it my business when you made your disparaging remarks about gay people, as a "blanket indictment". Excuse me.
And if you think you can intimidate me...ask around.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 04:19 pm
@aaronssongs,
Aaron,

I'm done sparring with you. I will not continue to debate you over my decisions as a parent. You have no idea of the loving relationship I have with my kids and grandkids.

The bonds of love were formed before the problems. They knew that no matter how bad the issues the ties couldn't be broken unless they wanted to do it themselves. Hallmark loves me on Mother's Day!!!

As for you and your choice - live on. I will respect that. Just don't try to force me to say that I agree with it.

I just get darn tired of the gay community trying to shove their lifestyle down our throats. I'm not talking about holding hands or even a kiss in public. It's the gay pride parades that have many participants in a state of undress. It's the gay days held in public parks where you see things going on that make you want to hide your face (whether done by gays or straight). It's the idea that your sexual orientation has to be talked about in every sitcom or talk show. Why do we have to have "gay cruises?" Why not "married couples" cruises? or "I love my dog in an intimate way" cruises?