Republican Idaho Senator arrested in ariport

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 05:48 pm
Idaho senator arrested in airport

By STEVE KARNOWSKI, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

Sen. Larry Craig of Idaho pleaded guilty this month to misdemeanor disorderly conduct after being arrested at the Minneapolis airport.

A Hennepin County court docket showed Craig pleading guilty to the disorderly conduct charge Aug. 8, with the court dismissing a charge of gross misdemeanor interference to privacy.

The court docket said the Republican senator paid $575 in fines and fees. He was put on unsupervised probation for a year. A sentence of 10 days in the county workhouse was stayed.

Roll Call, a Capitol Hill newspaper, which first reported the case, said on its Web site Monday that Craig was arrested June 11 by a plainclothes officer investigating complaints of lewd conduct in a men's restroom at the airport.

Craig said in a statement issued by his office that he was not involved in any inappropriate conduct.

"At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions," he said. "I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously."

Craig, 62, is married and in his third term in the Senate. He is up for re-election next year. He was a member of the House for 10 years before winning election to the Senate in 1990.

He has been one of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's top Senate supporters, serving as a Senate liaison for the campaign since February. As word spread of Craig's guilty plea, a Romney campaign spokesman, Matt Rhoades, said in a statement: "Senator Craig has stepped down from his role with the campaign. He did not want to be a distraction and we accept his decision."

Sidney Smith, a Craig aide in Boise, said Monday afternoon that the senator was "in the (Boise) area" but was declining to give interviews.

Minneapolis airport police declined to provide a copy of the arrest report after business hours Monday.

Roll Call, citing the report, said Sgt. Dave Karsnia made the arrest after an encounter in which he was seated in a stall next to a stall occupied by Craig. Karsnia described Craig tapping his foot, which Karsnia said he "recognized as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct."

Roll Call quoted the Aug. 8 police report as saying that Craig had handed the arresting officer a business card that identified him as a member of the Senate.

"What do you think about that?" Craig is alleged to have said, according to the report.

Last fall, Craig called allegations from a gay-rights activist that he's had homosexual relationships "completely ridiculous."

Mike Rogers, who bills himself as a gay activist blogger, published the allegations on his Web site, BlogActive: Real Truth, Direct Action, in October 2006.

Craig hasn't said if he plans to run for a fourth term in 2008. An announcement was expected this fall. His spokesman, Smith, was uncertain if Craig's guilty plea would affect his re-election plans.

"It's too early to talk about anything about that," Smith told The Associated Press.

J. Kirk Sullivan, chairman of the Idaho Republican Party, declined to comment on the situation, saying he was unaware of the nature of the charges against Craig.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,776 • Replies: 168
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:06 pm
@aaronssongs,
So?

throw the book at him I say, government officals are supposed to be pillars of the community and therefore get no "first time offender" treatment in my eyes. The real difference is that a true republican won't defend the illegal actions of his peer simply because we associate ourselves with the same circus animal.

What ever happened with that congresswoman who refused to stop at a secure checkpoint in DC when she forgot her identification badge? And, Then tried to call the police racists for stopping her?
socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 07:06 pm
@aaronssongs,
Congressmen Bob Filner (Democrat from California) threw a hissy fit at the airport and got arrested. Whining like a baby because his luggage was late getting to him. If he were near me now I'd slap the snot out of him for his arrogance.
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 07:14 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33167 wrote:
So?

throw the book at him I say, government officals are supposed to be pillars of the community and therefore get no "first time offender" treatment in my eyes. The real difference is that a true republican won't defend the illegal actions of his peer simply because we associate ourselves with the same circus animal.

What ever happened with that congresswoman who refused to stop at a secure checkpoint in DC when she forgot her identification badge? And, Then tried to call the police racists for stopping her?

Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney (FOXNews.com - McKinney Decries 'Inappropriate Touching' by Capitol Police - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum)
Cynthia McKinney Outlook
August 22nd, 2007

Former Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney has hinted that she might seek the Green Party presidential nomination. But she has also said that she cannot focus on that until she eliminates her 2006 congressional campaign debt. That debt, which was originally $45,000, is now down to $16,400, according to her website. She is trying to eliminate the remaining debt with a speaking tour in northeast states.

Truth of the matter is, had she been "a white woman", chances are she might not have been approached or cautioned by the cop...but the likelihood of her being stopped, merely because of her race, is, at least "plausible"...we may never know the truth. In any event, the situation could have been handled more deftly by the policeman involved...she was a woman, and she was smartly dressed, and hardly, a security risk. But hey, it's Amerikkka.
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 07:24 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;33187 wrote:
Congressmen Bob Filner (Democrat from California) threw a hissy fit at the airport and got arrested. Whining like a baby because his luggage was late getting to him. If he were near me now I'd slap the snot out of him for his arrogance.

To be accurate:

Rep. Bob Filner is facing an assault and battery charge after an incident at Dulles Airport where he allegedly pushed an United Airlines bag claim employee as first reported by ABC7/Newschannel 8.

ABC 7's Jay Korff and Kris Van Cleave broke the story

Filner, a Democrat from California, allegedly attempted to enter an employees-only area on Sunday night.

Van Cleave spoke with several witnesses who said they heard Filner yell "You can't stop me," before pushing aside the employee and refusing to leave the office.

Filner disputed the account in a statement issued by his office.

"Congressman Bob Filner is on his way to Iraq, visiting our troops, and will have a full statement when he returns. Suffice it to say now, that the story that has appeared in the press is factually incorrect - and the charges are ridiculous," the statement said.

The encounter happened after Filner "experienced a delay in claiming his bag," according to a United Airlines statement. United said it regretted that delay and was cooperating in the investigation.

When airport police arrived Filner was waiting in the bag carousel area, Prebich said. Police interviewed him and witnesses and let him go. The incident occurred around 6 p.m.

The employee decided to press charges and appeared before a Loudoun County magistrate later that evening.

Filner was summoned to appear in Loudoun County General District Court on Oct. 2. Assault and battery is a Class 1 misdemeanor charge in Virginia.

Filner, an eight-term incumbent who chairs the Veterans Affairs Committee, has displayed flashes of temper in the past.

About a year ago, he hurled obscenities at two Veterans Affairs officials after a briefing about the burglary of a laptop with military personnel information. The VA officials termed the briefing a "publicity stunt," which angered Filner.

Odd that the story fails to mention Filner's hissy fit...again, "SPIN"...and easy to see how a pushing match could escalate to "assault and battery"...hard to downplay lewd behaviour in a bathroom. I rest my case. Your volly.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:06 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;33190 wrote:

Truth of the matter is, had she been "a white woman", chances are she might not have been approached or cautioned by the cop...but the likelihood of her being stopped, merely because of her race, is, at least "plausible"...we may never know the truth. In any event, the situation could have been handled more deftly by the policeman involved...she was a woman, and she was smartly dressed, and hardly, a security risk. But hey, it's Amerikkka.

this is where your opinion goes from wrong to delusional

and once again Liberal Lack of Education has lead to Truth Dis-figuration

she was passing through a secure checkpoint on capitol hill, not unlike something you would see in an airport. VIP's (herself included) are provided with special identification pins which they wear on outer garments so they can speed through security. Should a VIP not have their pin on they can still be waived through IF personal recognition is granted by the attending guard (I have a working knowledge of personal identification from my post 911 military experience and basically it's always up to the guard to make the call). She was not recognized (and let's face it at the time she was a little known member of the house which has 250ish members) ans stopped so her credentials could be checked, like everyone else not wearing the pin. That's when she came off the handle and tried to pull rank on the guard.

Now if you've ever tried to argue your way through an armed government checkpoint you'll find it's a losing battle, considering she put her hands on the guard I would say his professionalism in dealing with her was above par.

When it comes to security, being an elected official doesn't get you a pass. I've heard of Wing Commanders getting arrested by Airmen, security is a different world which, regardless of your level in government, you respect. As I heard it once put to an officer by a Sargent...

"Sir, don't mistake your rank with my authority"
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 09:18 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33200 wrote:
this is where your opinion goes from wrong to delusional

and once again Liberal Lack of Education has lead to Truth Dis-figuration

she was passing through a secure checkpoint on capitol hill, not unlike something you would see in an airport. VIP's (herself included) are provided with special identification pins which they wear on outer garments so they can speed through security. Should a VIP not have their pin on they can still be waived through IF personal recognition is granted by the attending guard (I have a working knowledge of personal identification from my post 911 military experience and basically it's always up to the guard to make the call). She was not recognized (and let's face it at the time she was a little known member of the house which has 250ish members) ans stopped so her credentials could be checked, like everyone else not wearing the pin. That's when she came off the handle and tried to pull rank on the guard.

Now if you've ever tried to argue your way through an armed government checkpoint you'll find it's a losing battle, considering she put her hands on the guard I would say his professionalism in dealing with her was above par.

When it comes to security, being an elected official doesn't get you a pass. I've heard of Wing Commanders getting arrested by Airmen, security is a different world which, regardless of your level in government, you respect. As I heard it once put to an officer by a Sargent...

"Sir, don't mistake your rank with my authority"

He said, she said. I have driven while black...I know what can happen.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:19 pm
@aaronssongs,
you're also in the south, I've lived in Texas and the racial tension there is retarded. The country as a whole does not resemble that culture.
0 Replies

tvsej

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 04:33 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33167 wrote:
So?

I totally agree with you there.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 11:29 am
@aaronssongs,
Okay, I will weigh in on Larry Craig. Having met with him many times I was shocked at this news. His top aide, Newt, was so helpful when my daughters and I went to DC one time for a vacation.

Craig and my husband have a really good mutual friend who is an extremely wealthy man. This man is a very active opponent to gay rights and has backed Craig for years. He would never be involved with a man of low character. But, sometimes you never know.

I have voted for Craig for years and felt he was good for Idaho. But, all of these stories that are filtering up makes me wonder about the old adage of where there's smoke there's fire.

If he's guilty, he's done. Idahoans are tough on people who betray their trust. I doubt he will get a second chance.

He has a lovely wife and family. I feel so sorry for them to have to experience this.

But, boy have I learned some things... tapping your foot, huh?
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:43 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33336 wrote:
Okay, I will weigh in on Larry Craig. Having met with him many times I was shocked at this news. His top aide, Newt, was so helpful when my daughters and I went to DC one time for a vacation.

Craig and my husband have a really good mutual friend who is an extremely wealthy man. This man is a very active opponent to gay rights and has backed Craig for years. He would never be involved with a man of low character. But, sometimes you never know.

I have voted for Craig for years and felt he was good for Idaho. But, all of these stories that are filtering up makes me wonder about the old adage of where there's smoke there's fire.

If he's guilty, he's done. Idahoans are tough on people who betray their trust. I doubt he will get a second chance.

He has a lovely wife and family. I feel so sorry for them to have to experience this.

But, boy have I learned some things... tapping your foot, huh?

By "low character", I'm hoping you're meaning his lies and deceit, and not his propensity toward feelings for the same sex. Otherwise that would be an affront to me, a gay man. Craig, being married and a father, owes it to his family to be honest and devout...if he was less than that, then that is what should be repudiated. The fact that he strayed from his vows, and was, alledgedly, "living a double life", is the crime.
westernmom

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:43 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;33376 wrote:
By "low character", I'm hoping you're meaning his lies and deceit, and not his propensity toward feelings for the same sex. Otherwise that would be an affront to me, a gay man. Craig, being married and a father, owes it to his family to be honest and devout...if he was less than that, then that is what should be repudiated. The fact that he strayed from his vows, and was, alledgedly, "living a double life", is the crime.

I didn't phrase that very well. But, I do not condone the gay lifestyle and fight "gay rights" with all of my being. No lectures. I have a daughter that is a lesbian. I love her very much but do not or will not accept her lifestyle choices.
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:54 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33405 wrote:
I didn't phrase that very well. But, I do not condone the gay lifestyle and fight "gay rights" with all of my being. No lectures. I have a daughter that is a lesbian. I love her very much but do not or will not accept her lifestyle choices.

Good job, mom - I respect your opinions and your right to them. No one has the right to force feed you anything you do not want to eat. I am sure some on this forum will paint you with many negative brushes but I accept that your views belong exclusively to you.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 04:37 pm
@aaronssongs,
SoCal,

Thanks! I know that doesn't make me sound very tolerant but I have my personal opinions on the gay lifestyle and how it is tearing down the fabric of our society. Maybe it is becoming socially acceptable but watching what happens to the family unit in the future will be the undoing of this country as we know it.

Just listening to the stories that are being told today about the common practices that are happening in truck stops, men's restrooms, etc. is darn scary. And they wonder how aids is being spread???

Oh, by the way, my hairdresser is gay. He's a great person! But, he never trys to shove his lifestyle in my face. My daughter's favorite riding coach was a lesbian but she never brought it up around us. That's one of my biggest gripes. They are constantly whining to us about their rights and their gay lifestyle.
Red cv

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 05:41 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33427 wrote:
SoCal,

Thanks! I know that doesn't make me sound very tolerant but I have my personal opinions on the gay lifestyle and how it is tearing down the fabric of our society. Maybe it is becoming socially acceptable but watching what happens to the family unit in the future will be the undoing of this country as we know it.

Just listening to the stories that are being told today about the common practices that are happening in truck stops, men's restrooms, etc. is darn scary. And they wonder how aids is being spread???

Oh, by the way, my hairdresser is gay. He's a great person! But, he never trys to shove his lifestyle in my face. My daughter's favorite riding coach was a lesbian but she never brought it up around us. That's one of my biggest gripes. They are constantly whining to us about their rights and their gay lifestyle.

I find your post refreshing and open and honest. There is nothing intolerant in your opinion, in fact 80% of religious people that I meet feel as you do. All they have asked for was tolerance towards them not wanting the Gay lifestyle shoved down their troats. Sadly the gay community heard we hate you, which is not what is meant.

I imagine you've personally struggled with you daughters sexuality, I hope in time you receive some peace.

I really enjoy reading your post. :thumbup:
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 07:21 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33427 wrote:
SoCal,

They should keep their sexuality to themselves, and get on with life. And if they do that, no one has any right to oppose them. It all comes down to mutual respect and mature behavior.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33405 wrote:

I'm curious...what do you mean that you love your daughter very much, but you do not accept her. What means that? what does that look like?
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 08:03 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33427 wrote:
SoCal,

How do you think it is for me, a gay man, and I see a boy and a girl, or a woman and a man, lip-locked, on a city bus, or in a mall...acting like it's ok to be vulgar and obvious, in public? Why not get a hotel room, because that's what it looks like you should be doing. No one should have to see public displays from anyone, straight or gay...but just because society considers it the norm, straights are not afraid to shove it in peoples' faces...because on some level it's acceptable.
There is such a thing as tact and decorum. And it's an equal opportunity device. AIDS is rampant in the heterosexual community, in case you didn't know....gay statistics are falling.
I don't believe in promiscuity...and contrary to popular belief, some gay folks are faithful and devout in their committed relationships....just like some straight folks are.....a whole lot of straight folks aren't ...so lets be clear and fair.
And please stop with the patronization...."some of my best friends are"....
How cliche. get over yourselves.
westernmom

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:24 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;33465 wrote:
I'm curious...what do you mean that you love your daughter very much, but you do not accept her. What means that? what does that look like?

I accept her, just not her lifestyle. It's much the same as if I had a child with a drug habit. I would still love her but not allow her to use drugs in my presence.

I have a very loving relationship with this daughter. We speak or see each other almost every day. Probably better than most relationships. She just knows that I cannot accept her choices. You can always love a child but not love what they do.

Her new found sexuality destroyed two family units (and marriages of 15 or more years) and left 7 kids wondering what the heck happened to their moms. They are ones that have to suffer the consquences of their decisions. Yes, it might be bad if it would have been a hetersexual relationship, but this adds a little more bewilderment to the whole situation.
tvsej

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:05 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;33511 wrote:
I accept her, just not her lifestyle. It's much the same as if I had a child with a drug habit. I would still love her but not allow her to use drugs in my presence.

I have a very loving relationship with this daughter. We speak or see each other almost every day. Probably better than most relationships. She just knows that I cannot accept her choices. You can always love a child but not love what they do.

Her new found sexuality destroyed two family units (and marriages of 15 or more years) and left 7 kids wondering what the heck happened to their moms. They are ones that have to suffer the consquences of their decisions. Yes, it might be bad if it would have been a hetersexual relationship, but this adds a little more bewilderment to the whole situation.

I will say nothing about this topic, I have already stated my position in previous posts. I just wanted to say that I commend you westernmom for sticking your neck out and telling it like it is from an inside view.
0 Replies