American United or AU inforcing seperation of church and state

Drnaline

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:30 am
@STNGfan,
Quote:
STNGfan;20716 wrote:
Yes, they can, and they do.

Teachers cannot tell the whole class to say under God. It is told without God in it but if someone wishes to say under God in the class they can because of freedom of religion but the teacher cannot direct the whole class to say under God.

So you are both half right.

Also in during the plegence of allengience people no longer have to stand or put their hand over their heart when saying it. we are now to sit silently and do not have to say the words or stand or hold our hands over our hearts if we so wish.

Also after graduations ceremonies they can not longer ask for everyone for a moment of prayer. It is endorsing religion.

See ACLU...victory lawsuits.

If your school or college are still doing these things it is only a matter of time before they are caught and are forced by the law to stop.
:peace:

I know I know we are destroying your great country of intolerance and monopoly of christiantiy. It is sad I know...:dunno:
Quote:
Also after graduations ceremonies they can not longer ask for everyone for a moment of prayer. It is endorsing religion.
There is nothing wrong with endorsing religion, what is supposedly illegal is the promotion of one particular religion. But according to the Constitution only Congress is prohibited from doing so not any body else?
Quote:
If your school or college are still doing these things it is only a matter of time before they are caught and are forced by the law to stop.
Will they be sued by the government or by the ACLU and there cohorts? Will they be stopped by an actual law or by the courts interpretation/precedent?
STNGfan

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:37 am
@STNGfan,
it is endorsing one religion over another and that is against the contitution. Prayer is for christians. Buddhist do not pray they meditiate and Hindus do not pray like Christians do.
If the schools wish to say have a moment of silence that is acceptable and then everyone can do what ever makes them feel comfortable.
the supreme courts make the law absolute. Are you saying the supreme courts decisions means nothing because they happen to disagree with your religion? I think the supreme courts are far more educated than yourself in these situations.

praying is for christians and only 80 percent are christians. It unacceptable to make the other 20 percent feel uncomfortable and out of place by telling everyone to pray. The 20 percent should not be made to feel strange because they are not christian.
This is why a school leader cannot ask the whole group to pray assuming they are all christians. This is favoring one religion over another and is inconsiderate of the other 20 percent.

Now if they want to say...give a moment for prayer, silence or medititation I will accept that but simply claiming for people to bow in prayer while 20 percent is not christians is unaccpetable.

Pray in Church where it belongs.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:47 am
@STNGfan,
STNGfan;20737 wrote:
it is endorsing one religion over another and that is against the contitution. Prayer is for christians. Buddhist do not pray they meditiate and Hindus do not pray like Christians do.
If the schools wish to say have a moment of silence that is acceptable and then everyone can do what ever makes them feel comfortable.
the supreme courts make the law absolute. Are you saying the supreme courts decisions means nothing because they happen to disagree with your religion? I think the supreme courts are far more educated than yourself in these situations.

praying is for christians and only 80 percent are christians. It unacceptable to make the other 20 percent feel uncomfortable and out of place by telling everyone to pray. The 20 percent should not be made to feel strange because they are not christian.
This is why a school leader cannot ask the whole group to pray assuming they are all christians. This is favoring one religion over another and is inconsiderate of the other 20 percent.

Now if they want to say...give a moment for prayer, silence or medititation I will accept that but simply claiming for people to bow in prayer while 20 percent is not christians is unaccpetable.

Quote:
it is endorsing one religion over another and that is against the contitution.
And that is the only reference you have. Any thing else is ok so long as Congress doesn't get involved. That is what the Constitution states, i don't need SCOTUS to interpret it for me.
Quote:
the supreme courts make the law absolute.
Again, SCOTUS does NOT make law.
Quote:
I think the supreme courts are far more educated than yourself in these situations.
I don't care what they think, they do not make law. You guys can not show me a law and they can't make law and the broken law that you state is not in the Constitution or on a law book so the case doesn't look good. The best you got is reference to a letter to a baptist? Real solid case for separation, Not!
Quote:
It unacceptable to make the other 20 percent feel uncomfortable and out of place by telling everyone to pray.
Unacceptable but not illegal.
Quote:
The 20 percent should not be made to feel strange because they are not christian.
Freedom "of" religion does not constitute freedom "From" religion, got it? You guys keep getting it confused, why?
Quote:
According to the statistics i've read he would be assuming correct.
Quote:
Freedom of religion means any where on Gods green earth, Amen!!!
0 Replies

STNGfan

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:16 pm
@STNGfan,
It doesn't have to be freedom from religion if you Christian supremist would just share the plateform with other religion. What the hell is wrong with saying "let take a moment for prayer, meditiation or reflection"? Why can you not acknowledge other faiths and their needs to be reckonized? I have no problem with prayer in school as long as my kid can practice wiccan spells, buddhist can meditate in the lotus position and muslim kids and put down their blankets and kneel to the rising sun but you Christian Supremist wont accept that. You wont acknowlege and accept your children exposed to other religions but you try to force non-believers to watch you pray to your God in school. It is unacceptable. How would you feel if Muslims came and impose Sharia law on the United States and their religion infiltrated the constitution and you were forced to only pray to allah and kneel to allah? That Islam makes laws for you even though you are not Muslim. You wouldn't like that too much would you. Why should we?

as for the law. Sounds like you are an anarchist... Humans make the laws in the United States..Not God. If you want God to make laws I suggest you go to the middle east and live there where theology and politics are one.

You are not above the human law just because you hide behind God. In the united states human law trumps gods law and I am for one glad.

Good luck with all your fines and jail time and living in 18th century. Blech.. I plan on progressing not regressing thank you.
STNGfan

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:20 pm
@STNGfan,
"Freedom of religion means any where on Gods green earth, Amen!!!"

I am sorry but if you started praying and spouting your christian stuff in the Islamic world you could be killed. So no you cannot have freedom of religion anywhere on the earth.

and sure you can have freedom of religion everywhere in American if you understand and accept the fact that Wiccans can practice witchcraft anywhere in the United States without you or anyone else persecuting them or Hindus...ect and so on.

exposing your children to other religious beliefs oh God how dreadful..and terrible it is to expand your childs mind.
92b16vx

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:30 pm
@STNGfan,
STNGfan, you'll realize that some people here do not want freedom if it isn't inline with their views, yet will piss and moan if their views are deemed to being encrouched upon, typical run of the mill hypocriscy.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:55 pm
@STNGfan,
STNGfan;20783 wrote:
It doesn't have to be freedom from religion if you Christian supremist would just share the plateform with other religion. What the hell is wrong with saying "let take a moment for prayer, meditiation or reflection"? Why can you not acknowledge other faiths and their needs to be reckonized? I have no problem with prayer in school as long as my kid can practice wiccan spells, buddhist can meditate in the lotus position and muslim kids and put down their blankets and kneel to the rising sun but you Christian Supremist wont accept that. You wont acknowlege and accept your children exposed to other religions but you try to force non-believers to watch you pray to your God in school. It is unacceptable. How would you feel if Muslims came and impose Sharia law on the United States and their religion infiltrated the constitution and you were forced to only pray to allah and kneel to allah? That Islam makes laws for you even though you are not Muslim. You wouldn't like that too much would you. Why should we?

as for the law. Sounds like you are an anarchist... Humans make the laws in the United States..Not God. If you want God to make laws I suggest you go to the middle east and live there where theology and politics are one.

You are not above the human law just because you hide behind God. In the united states human law trumps gods law and I am for one glad.

Good luck with all your fines and jail time and living in 18th century. Blech.. I plan on progressing not regressing thank you.
Quote:
It is unacceptable.
Unacceptable but not illegal.
Quote:
How would you feel if Muslims came and impose Sharia law on the United States and their religion infiltrated the constitution and you were forced to only pray to allah and kneel to allah?
I'd fight to the death and you and your children would convert to Muslim. You've already stated that.
Quote:
That Islam makes laws for you even though you are not Muslim.
You will allow them to do this and aid them by converting, i will not.
Quote:
Think i'll stay here and do the same thing, it's a free country.
Quote:
Human law stems from Gods law.
Quote:
You probably plan on being more openminded and tolerant too right, LOL?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:02 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;20785 wrote:
STNGfan, you'll realize that some people here do not want freedom if it isn't inline with their views, yet will piss and moan if their views are deemed to being encrouched upon, typical run of the mill hypocriscy.
Well if you guys could just show me where in the Constitution it says anything about separation we could move this thread right along but as the typical left likes doing. Your consistent lefts add up to a circle and you know what that means, lap 10 is in the books.
92b16vx

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:24 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;20898 wrote:
lap 10 is in the books.

Oh snap, what zinger!!!! I bet you can type that in your sleep.
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:10 am
@STNGfan,
Quote:
So your against tolerance and you against womens rights and equality.

What do you see wrong with that. You don't have to condone homosexuality in your home but face it they are not going away and your child needs to be able to be "Civil" with them even if they grow up not believing it is an ok thing to do. All our schools are doing is teaching tolerance...not acceptance. Jesus loved homosexuals unconditionally sinning or not. He did not condone the behavior but he did tolerate it.

As for womens rights... what do you have to fear from a dominate women? Why can't a women have power and presidge? Why can't a women run the household? Me thinks men like you are afraid of sharing power and wish to have someone to belittle and order around.

Ego issues.

Okay, first of all, I don't have kids. Schools that teach 'tolerance' for homosexuals (I've never heard of such a school that does that as a practice myself, or, for that matter, one that does not say 'one nation under God' or stand with their hands over their hearts during the pledge of allegiance) teach that it is acceptable to be a homosexual and probably that they should have 'equal rights' which means marriage (not a right, a religious tradition, as it is practiced in the U.S.) I don't care about civil unions with equal rights, but why are they so bent on marriage if they can have that. Make laws that say 'gays can be married', and sooner or later, someone could use that to force a church to marry two men or women.

And I don't have a problem with women being equal, that doesn't mean that femenist groups can't be propaganda distrubuters.

I'm sorry, but someone anti-Christian and anti-religious like you is not someone who I want to defend my freedom of religion. Reminds me of the President of my region's ACLU chapter sending an editorial letter to one of the local newspapers during an argument about the ACLU, taunting Christians and mocking Christianity with a condescending attitude.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:38 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;20904 wrote:
Oh snap, what zinger!!!! I bet you can type that in your sleep.

I'm sure i have at least thousand in me, shall we see?
0 Replies

STNGfan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 09:18 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;20913 wrote:
Okay, first of all, I don't have kids. Schools that teach 'tolerance' for homosexuals (I've never heard of such a school that does that as a practice myself, or, for that matter, one that does not say 'one nation under God' or stand with their hands over their hearts during the pledge of allegiance) teach that it is acceptable to be a homosexual and probably that they should have 'equal rights' which means marriage (not a right, a religious tradition, as it is practiced in the U.S.) I don't care about civil unions with equal rights, but why are they so bent on marriage if they can have that. Make laws that say 'gays can be married', and sooner or later, someone could use that to force a church to marry two men or women.

And I don't have a problem with women being equal, that doesn't mean that femenist groups can't be propaganda distrubuters.

I'm sorry, but someone anti-Christian and anti-religious like you is not someone who I want to defend my freedom of religion. Reminds me of the President of my region's ACLU chapter sending an editorial letter to one of the local newspapers during an argument about the ACLU, taunting Christians and mocking Christianity with a condescending attitude.

For one lets get things straight. I am not anti-Christian. I love moderate Christians who mind their own business and understand that Mans Law should be followed in the United States. I have many friends who are moderate Christians and my husband is Christians. So if I was truly discriminitory against Christians I would not have married one.
I am not anti-religious. I have stated many times that I have no problem with prayer in school as long as wiccans can practice witchcrafts, buddhist can medititate in the lotus position and Hindus can bring and idol to worship. What I am anti against is religion dominationation. I am against Christian extremist and supremisists who feel the only religion that should be practiced in the United States is Christianity in our schools. That they to claim this is a "christian Nation" I am anti- christian monopoly.

THere is a huge difference. I know that you can't share your ideologies with other religions so you have to try and peg me as anti-chrisitan to make it look like I hate Christains or have this war on Christianity but that is about as true as this imaginary war on Islam.

It is just an excuse for you to continue to oppress other religions and non religions in favor of keeping Christianity in power.

It wont work...
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 09:45 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;20913 wrote:

I'm sorry, but someone anti-Christian and anti-religious like you is not someone who I want to defend my freedom of religion.

I would say this is the root of the matter. It is not YOUR freedom of religion, it is EVERYONES freedom of religion. You, and christianiaty do not hold sole proprietorship to freedom, or freedom of religion. Get over yourselves.
STNGfan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:03 am
@STNGfan,
I think we need to sent out evolutionist to peoples home and push this concept down their throats. I mean The next time a mormon or Jahovah witness comes to my house I am going to ask for their address. If the ask why I say I am going to sent evolutionist to their home to convert them to secularism.
See how they feel about it LOL
Maybe wiccan. I can send witches to their houses to teach them about witchcraft Wink
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:25 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;20735 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with endorsing religion, what is supposedly illegal is the promotion of one particular religion. But according to the Constitution only Congress is prohibited from doing so not any body else?
Will they be sued by the government or by the ACLU and there cohorts? Will they be stopped by an actual law or by the courts interpretation/precedent?

By law, teachers cannot force students to say the pledge, stand for it, pray or do any of that stuff. Many students defy The System by not doing any of these, even though, deep down, they love their country and believe in God. Teenagers are especially eager to discover manifold ways to 'rebel'. At that age, however, they're not armed with the ideological, intellectual weapons, which they'll acquire later, in college, to really know what they're doing. It's all good.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:30 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;20944 wrote:
I would say this is the root of the matter. It is not YOUR freedom of religion, it is EVERYONES freedom of religion. You, and christianiaty do not hold sole proprietorship to freedom, or freedom of religion. Get over yourselves.

Objectively speaking, no, we don't. Subjectively speaking, however, we know America is a Christian country and always has been. Therefore, we Christians have the moral obligation to constantly fight for the soul of America, and keep it ours forever. Without Christianity, America and the Greater West are nothing. :bigok: :thx: :approve:
0 Replies

STNGfan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:11 pm
@STNGfan,
I am sorry but I disagree. Europe is doing just fine as a secular nation. Christians may have the majority but that does not make this a 'Christian nation" as the Republicans voting in the Republicans in the white house does not make use a Republican country.
Fight for the soul of America. I am sorry but that is dictatorship not democracy. You want Americans to be forced to live by your bible. This is a theocracy not a democracy.
Our forfathers made it very clear that this nation is not for a christian nation.

Quotes from John Adams second president of the United States

"Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind."

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?
-- John Adams, letter to FA Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816"

Cabalistic Christianity, which is Catholic Christianity, and which has prevailed for 1,500 years, has received a mortal wound, of which the monster must finally die. Yet so strong is his constitution, that he may endure for centuries before he expires.
-- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, July 16, 1814, from James A Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it.
-- John Adams, letter to his son, John Quincy Adams, November 13, 1816, from James A Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

Thomas Jefferson quotes Third president of the United States

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82 (capitalization of the word god is retained per original; see Positive Atheism's Historical Section)

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82

I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799 (see Positive Atheism's Historical section)

The 'Wall of Separation,' Again:
Because religious belief, or non-belief, is such an important part of every person's life, freedom of religion affects every individual. State churches that use government power to support themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of the church tends to make the clergy unresponsive to the people and leads to corruption within religion. Erecting the "wall of separation between church and state," therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society.
We have solved ... the great and interesting question whether freedom of religion is compatible with order in government and obedience to the laws. And we have experienced the quiet as well as the comfort which results from leaving every one to profess freely and openly those principles of religion which are the inductions of his own reason and the serious convictions of his own inquiries.
-- Thomas Jefferson, to the Virginia Baptists (1808). This is his second use of the term "wall of separation," here quoting his own use in the Danbury Baptist letter. This wording was several times upheld by the Supreme Court as an accurate description of the Establishment Clause: Reynolds (98 US at 164, 1879); Everson (330 US at 59, 1947); McCollum (333 US at 232, 1948)

Albery Einstein
I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.
-- Albert Einstein, following his wife's advice in responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the International Synagogue in New York, who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from and citation notes derived from Victor J Stenger, Has Science Found God? (draft: 2001), chapter 3.

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955, quoted from James A Haught, "Breaking the Last Taboo" (1996)

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.
-- Albert Einstein, 1954, from Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

[Excerpt]
A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

But I guess the words of our forfathers and a genius means absolutly nothing.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:14 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;20785 wrote:

Christianity made it possible for you to understand, appreciate and act on 'freedom'. We deserve your gratitude.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:18 pm
@STNGfan,
STNGfan;21013 wrote:
I am sorry but I disagree. Europe is doing just fine as a secular nation. Christians may have the majority but that does not make this a 'Christian nation" as the Republicans voting in the Republicans in the white house does not make use a Republican country.
Fight for the soul of America. I am sorry but that is dictatorship not democracy. You want Americans to be forced to live by your bible. This is a theocracy not a democracy.
Our forfathers made it very clear that this nation is not for a christian nation.

Quotes from John Adams second president of the United States

"Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind."

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?
-- John Adams, letter to FA Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816"

Cabalistic Christianity, which is Catholic Christianity, and which has prevailed for 1,500 years, has received a mortal wound, of which the monster must finally die. Yet so strong is his constitution, that he may endure for centuries before he expires.
-- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, July 16, 1814, from James A Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it.
-- John Adams, letter to his son, John Quincy Adams, November 13, 1816, from James A Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

Thomas Jefferson quotes Third president of the United States

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82 (capitalization of the word god is retained per original; see Positive Atheism's Historical Section)

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82

I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799 (see Positive Atheism's Historical section)

The 'Wall of Separation,' Again:
Because religious belief, or non-belief, is such an important part of every person's life, freedom of religion affects every individual. State churches that use government power to support themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of the church tends to make the clergy unresponsive to the people and leads to corruption within religion. Erecting the "wall of separation between church and state," therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society.
We have solved ... the great and interesting question whether freedom of religion is compatible with order in government and obedience to the laws. And we have experienced the quiet as well as the comfort which results from leaving every one to profess freely and openly those principles of religion which are the inductions of his own reason and the serious convictions of his own inquiries.
-- Thomas Jefferson, to the Virginia Baptists (1808). This is his second use of the term "wall of separation," here quoting his own use in the Danbury Baptist letter. This wording was several times upheld by the Supreme Court as an accurate description of the Establishment Clause: Reynolds (98 US at 164, 1879); Everson (330 US at 59, 1947); McCollum (333 US at 232, 1948)

Albery Einstein
I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.
-- Albert Einstein, following his wife's advice in responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the International Synagogue in New York, who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from and citation notes derived from Victor J Stenger, Has Science Found God? (draft: 2001), chapter 3.

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955, quoted from James A Haught, "Breaking the Last Taboo" (1996)

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.
-- Albert Einstein, 1954, from Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

[Excerpt]
A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

But I guess the words of our forfathers and a genius means absolutly nothing.

Jefferson owned slaves with whom he had children, children he did not legally recognize. He warned his sons not to have sex with their slaves, in light of all the problems his uncontrollable sex-drive caused him. Yes, he was a political genius, but not someone I will quote much, if ever, or follow steadfastly, if at all. Also.....Einstein????? He was a naturalized German. Why would I adhere to his maxims on anything other than nuclear physics (.....I, a history teacher????).
STNGfan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:24 pm
@STNGfan,
umm no freedom was created by the greeks not christianity. Freedom and democracy were originated from pagans Called the greeks.
Greeks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ancient origins
The word democracy was coined in ancient Greece. Although Athenian democracy is today considered by many to have been a form of direct democracy, originally it had two distinguishing features: firstly the allotment (selection by lot) of ordinary citizens to government offices and courts,[11] and secondarily the assembly of all the citizens. All the Athenian citizens were eligible to speak and vote in the Assembly, which set the laws of the city-state, but neither political rights, nor citizenship, were granted to women, slaves, or metics. Of the 250,000 inhabitants only some 30,000 on average were citizens. Of those 30,000 perhaps 5,000 might regularly attend one or more meetings of the popular Assembly. Most of the officers and magistrates of Athenian government were allotted; only the generals (strategoi) and a few other officers were elected. [12]

One of the earliest instances of civilizations with democracy, or sometimes disputed as oligarchy, was found in the republics of ancient India, which were established sometime before the 6th century BC, and prior to the birth of Gautama Buddha. These republics were known as Maha Janapadas, and among these states, Vaishali (in what is now Bihar, India) would be the world's first republic. The democratic Sangha, Gana and Panchayat systems were used in some of these republics; the Panchayat system is still used today in Indian villages. Later during the time of Alexander the Great in the 4th century BC, the Greeks wrote about the Sabarcae and Sambastai states in what is now Pakistan and Afghanistan, whose "form of government was democratic and not regal" according to Greek scholars at the time.[13]

The Roman Republic had elections but again women, slaves, and the large foreign population were excluded. The votes of the wealthy were given more weight and almost all high officials come from a few noble families. [5]

Democracy was also seen to a certain extent in bands and tribes such as the Iroquois Confederacy. However, in the Iroquois Confederacy only the males of certain clans could be leaders and some clans were excluded. Only the oldest females from the same clans could choose and remove the leaders. This excluded most of the population. An interesting detail is that there should be consensus among the leaders, not majority support decided by voting, when making decisions.[6] [7] Band societies, such as the bushmen, which usually number 20-50 people in the band often do not have leaders and make decisions based on consensus among the majority.

Democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies