Just a few contradictions in your bible

Christian0912

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 07:57 pm
@rugonnacry,
Timothy 6:16 doesn't say that God lives in darkness. It says unapproachable light. That means its so bright that you can't approach it (get it? UNapproachable)... Just Google: "unapproachable light".

I could prove more of these 'contradictions' wrong, but I don't think you'd be too happy... Smile
0 Replies

cameronleon

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2017 12:10 am
@rugonnacry,
Quote:
1. God is satisfied with his works
Gen 1:31
God is dissatisfied with his works.

You are talking peanuts.

I will give you an example so you may understand such a "satisfied" and "dissatisfied" issue.

You buy an apple and you are "happy" with your purchase.

The apple becomes rotten the very next day, now you are "unhappy" with such a purchase.

Read your "contradictions" and start to clarify and delete the ones you misunderstood and come back with your list again.
0 Replies

papag

Reply Tue 4 May, 2021 05:32 am
@rugonnacry,
While some passages might seem to show the Bible contradicting itself, they can usually be understood correctly by applying one or more of the following principles:
1. Consider the context. Any author can appear to contradict himself if his words are taken out of context.
2. Consider the writer’s viewpoint. Eyewitnesses might describe an event accurately but not use the exact same wording or include the same details.
3. Take into account historical facts and customs.
4. Distinguish between the figurative and the literal uses of a word.
5. Recognize that an action may be attributed to someone—even if he did not personally carry it out.
6. Use an accurate Bible translation.
7. Avoid trying to reconcile what the Bible says with mistaken religious ideas or dogma.
The following examples show how these principles can explain some seeming inconsistencies in the Bible.
Principle 1: Context
● If God rested on the seventh day, how has he continued working? The context of the Genesis creation account shows that the statement that God “began to rest on the seventh day from all his work that he had been doing” refers specifically to his work of physical creation respecting the earth. (Genesis 2:2-4) Jesus did not contradict this, however, when he said that God “has kept working until now,” because he was talking about other works of God. (John 5:17) God’s works include the inspiration of the Bible and his guidance and care of mankind.—Psalm 20:6; 105:5; 2 Peter 1:21.
Principles 2 and 3: Viewpoint and history
● Where did Jesus heal the blind man? The book of Luke says that Jesus healed a blind man as Jesus “was getting near to Jericho,” while the parallel account in Matthew mentions two blind men and says that the incident occurred when Jesus was “going out of Jericho.” (Luke 18:35-43; Matthew 20:29-34) These two accounts, written from different viewpoints, actually complement each other. Regarding the number of men, Matthew is more specific as to there being two, while Luke focuses on the one man to whom Jesus directed his remarks. As for the location, archaeologists have found that in Jesus’ time Jericho was a double city, with the old Jewish city situated about one and a half kilometers (1 mi) away from the newer Roman city. Jesus may have been between the two cities when he performed this miracle.
Principle 4: Figurative and literal terms
● Will the earth be destroyed? At Ecclesiastes 1:4, the Bible says that “the earth remains forever,” which to some apparently conflicts with its statement that “the elements will be destroyed by heat—with the earth.” (2 Peter 3:10, Beck) In the Bible, however, the word “earth” is used both literally, referring to our planet, and figuratively, referring to the people who live on it. (Genesis 1:1; 11:1) The destruction of the “earth” described at 2 Peter 3:10 refers, not to the burning up of our planet, but to the “destruction of the ungodly people.”—2 Peter 3:7.
Principle 5: Attribution
● In Capernaum, who brought the centurion’s request to Jesus? Matthew 8:5, 6 says that the centurion (army officer) himself came to Jesus, while Luke 7:3 says that the centurion sent older men of the Jews to make his request. This apparent Bible contradiction can be understood in that the army officer initiated the request, but he sent the older men as his representatives.
Principle 6: Accurate translation
● Do we all sin? The Bible teaches that we all inherit sin from the first man, Adam. (Romans 5:12) Some translations seem to contradict this by saying that a good person “does no sin” or “sinneth not.” (1 John 3:6, The Bible in Basic English; King James Version) In the original language, though, the Greek verb for “sin” at 1 John 3:6 is in the present tense, which in that language normally indicates a continuous action. There is a difference between inherited sin, which we cannot avoid, and the deliberate, continuous practice of disobeying God’s laws. Thus, some translations clear up this seeming contradiction by accurately using phrases such as “does not practice sin” or “does not habitually sin.”—New World Translation; Phillips.
Principle 7: The Bible, not dogma
● Is Jesus equal to God or lesser than God? Jesus once said: “I and the Father are one,” which seems to contradict his statement that “the Father is greater than I am.” (John 10:30; 14:28) To understand those verses correctly, we must examine what the Bible really says about Jehovah and Jesus rather than try to harmonize the verses with the Trinity dogma, which is not based on the Bible. The Bible shows that Jehovah is not only Jesus’ Father but also Jesus’ God, the One whom even Jesus worships. (Matthew 4:10; Mark 15:34; John 17:3; 20:17; 2 Corinthians 1:3) Jesus is not equal to God.
The context of Jesus’ statement “I and the Father are one” shows that he was talking about the oneness of purpose that he shared with his Father, Jehovah God. Jesus later said: “The Father is in union with me and I am in union with the Father.” (John 10:38) Jesus shared this unity of purpose with his followers as well, for he prayed to God about them: “I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one. I in union with them and you in union with me.”—John 17:22, 23.
[
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 5 May, 2021 02:06 pm
@papag,
Your list of criteria is okay as far as it goes, but you left out one of the most important:

- Does your interpretation coincide with 'Reason'.

If you don’t think that 'reason' has any relevance to the Bible, do a search for that term and read all the associated verses. This might be related to #6 on your list. If 'reason' is not given the reverence it deserves, you do not have an accurate Bible.
papag

Reply Thu 6 May, 2021 07:25 am
@Leadfoot,
In the past century older manuscripts have been discovered, older that when the Bible was translated in English. Reason as it that the manuscripts used to translate the oldest English Bible were tampered with. Some trinitarian copyist added words or statements that fortified their belief.
So to get the most accurate version, the version would need to update everytime they find manuscripts that predated the last ones.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 6 May, 2021 11:21 am
@papag,
It’s funny you know. That ‘Trinity' bullshit is the only thing I happen to agree with your particular cult on.

And thanks for coming out of the closet. You should never be ashamed of where you stand as long as you’re honest about how you got there.
papag

Reply Fri 7 May, 2021 06:55 am
@Leadfoot,
I appreciate your candor!
It's not easy for truth seekers to find truth, especially with all the counterfeit around, it makes it hard to know what is real truth.
I'm still searching!
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 7 May, 2021 10:28 am
@papag,
Good on ya mate!
0 Replies

Kristay

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2021 06:05 pm
@rugonnacry,
Simply because the bible we have now is not the original one , it got rewritten by another people through time
The Anointed

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2022 08:29 pm
@Kristay,
Kristay wrote ...... Simply because the bible we have now is not the original one, it got rewritten by another people through time.

The Anointed' response ...... The Hebrew bible we have today is the Old Testament, which was a Latin translation of the Hebrew bible by the Roman Jerome and others, that still existed in 400 C.E.

The Hebrew ‘TORAH’ is actually the five books of Moses, but the word Torah can also, when referring to the complete Hebrew Bible or Tanakh, which includes not only the first five, but all the books of the Hebrew Bible, be called “The Book of the Law” as seen in 2 Kings 22: 8; “Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the secretary, “I have found the Book of the Law in the temple of the LORD.” He gave it to Shaphan, who read it etc.”

The Hebrew scrolls ‘The Book of the Law’ was housed only in Solomons Temple and was destroyed in 587 B.C. when the temple was sacked and burned by Nebuchadnezzar’s troops.

While Jewish tradition holds that all five books were originally written by Moses, the rewriting of the Hebrew bible according to the Jewish oral tradition was a process that involved multiple authors guided by the Holy Spirit over an extended period of time.

The Hebrew bible today is basically the same as the scriptures read by the prophet Isaiah.
0 Replies

geospace

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2022 10:37 am
Absr. 1 “Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.” — Gen 1:31 (NKJV)
- a description of the world just at the end of creation when the first sin hadn't been committed yet. So we really can presuppose some satisfaction felt by God at that moment.

Abst. 2 “And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.” — Gen 6:6 (NKJV)
- God is dissatisfied by all evil committed by man after the Fall. It's still better understood after reading the previous verse:
“Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”
— Gen 6:5 (NKJV)

So if we consider the context, there's no contradiction at all.

Why should we think God will be satisfied with sin and sinners? At certain monent He drowns them or burns.

So for me it all looks like a very inconsistent work. We should always consider what is meant in any particular case.
The Anointed

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2022 05:44 pm
@geospace,
Just as China has created islands in the South China Sea, I too created for myself a small island on which I planted only the best floral, fruit, and medicinal plants, before creating a wonderful new plant superior to all the other plants in my creation.

Satisfied with my created paradise I took a years holiday to rest from my labours, only to return and find that my final creation was a noxious and invasive weed that was choaking out all the other life in my created paradise. I must now destroy my crowning creation, which means that all that has sprung from its seed must die also.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2023 08:21 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73 wrote:

So what? They're just religious stories about fallible people, written by fallible people. They're still important to us Christians, and deserve a good read. If you don't like the Bible, put that dang old thang down.

This.

In fact, the point of the Bible is that God is the God of fallible people. It makes sense that the writers themselves are fallible. Moreover, the early Jews didn't add all of those omni- words to God. "If God is imperfect, why worship him?" seems to be the overall idea. Perhaps precisely because he is imperfect. He relates to us in a way that models like Allah ultimately fail. How can you measure up to the standards God supposedly sets if he is utterly flawless?

When we fail badly, Jesus says "hold my beer," and manages to screw up to such an extent that people nail him to a cross. We're fine, honest.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2023 10:46 am
@bulmabriefs144,
What is your view on Matthew 12: 36-37 bulma?
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2023 11:01 pm
@Jasper10,
Easy.

I disregard Revelation and the idea of "second death" or "lake of fire."

Judgement in this world is either temporal (it happens in this life) or eternal, but not everlasting.

What, you ask, is the difference between eternal and everlasting? Aren't they the same thing?

Wrong. Everlasting means without end. Eternal refers to things outside time. It is not within the nature of a loving god to do everlasting punishment. Since both second death and lake of fire are everlasting punishments, this is one of many proofs that Revelation is a hoax. Here's some more.

* John 3:17 says that the Son of Man (himself) did not come to condemn the world, but save it. Yet Revelation has Jesus condemn the world.
* Romans says nothing can separate us from the love of God. Yet Revelation has people separated from the love of God.
* Galatians anyone (even an angel) who contradicts the Gospel is under a curse. John of Patmos says he saw an angel who told him this prophecy.
* With regards to the temple falling, Jesus warns us not to put stock in prophets and signs. Revelation is filled with both of these.
* While on the subject of the temple falling, three Gospels mention signs in heaven and Earth at the end of the age. Each of these has a period of darkness (a solar eclipse when it could not possibly have happened). John did not, instead "but he was speaking of his body." No darkness in John. There is no third temple prophecy as depicted in Revelation. The Third Temple is Jesus. When he rose from the dead, this was his second coming.

So you can rip that book right out of your Bible.

So what exactly is an eternal punishment? It's simple. Imagine you're supposed to write lines on a blackboard until you are done. Whether it takes ten minutes or 10,000 years. Eternal punishment exists so that we can learn from it.

Judgement for the words I have spoken? Whatever judgement, I'm sure I'll pay it. But my purpose is so that you know Jesus is not "coming" but "here." What you do with that info is entirely up to you. I'm just a messenger.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2023 02:49 am
@bulmabriefs144,
So are you claiming that the devil (if in existence) will be forgiven and if so by what means?
Jasper10

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2023 12:58 pm
@Jasper10,
The bible also states that belief in God is not enough.

I’m glad it does.

Jasper10

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2023 11:50 pm
@Jasper10,
It’s never been about belief or unbelief in a God in my opinion.

Interestingly,the christian scripture verse James 2:19 appears to be implying this.

Therefore I would suggest that Belief and Unbelief need to be balanced out.

Belief/Unbelief=Belief/Unbelief.

The reason I say this is because surely you can believe in something but still reject it.

0 Replies