The United States is not a Christian Nation

Arterion

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:03 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;27192 wrote:
All of them really, I celebrate the birth of Christ, not Christmas. Some celebrate christmas, which do you celebrate? Christmas is pagan, Christ is not.

1) Study shows that Jesus was not born on December 25th, and not even in the winter.

2) Christmas is "Christ's Mass", it is indeed a christian holiday, which is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. It is not and has never been a pagan holiday.

3) The pagan celebrated Yule, or the winter solstice. This is historically celebrated around, guess?, December 25th.

4) Most christmas traditions: The tree, santa, elves, the giving of gifts -- all these things were part of the pagan holiday long before Jesus. If you participate in them, you are, in fact, participating in old pagan tradition.

Yule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Arterion

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:05 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;27203 wrote:
Constitution say freedom "of" not freedom "from."

This has got to the the stupidest semantical argument ever made. They're the exact same thing!
Arterion

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:16 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;27193 wrote:
Where does it say the two cannot be intertwined? It doesn't say Government shall make no law it say Congress shall not..

All right, this just requires a little understand of how the American government works.

1) Congress (Legislative branch) makes all the laws. It cannot do anything but make laws.

2) The Executive branch has no powers other than to ENFORCE laws that the legislative branch makes. The powers given to the government by the constitution are very narrow, and that's all the executive branch gets.

3) The Judicial branch can only do two things: a) decide who is actually breaking a law, and b) decide is a law violated the constitution.

So in other words, yes, Congress makes all the laws. Thus, this prohibits ALL the branches of government from respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. Everything the government does starts at congress. So, yes, this does affect the ENTIRE government.

As far as your wife working for a government agency and being christian -- that's dandy! She's within her first amendment rights. In fact, if they said "No christians may work here", they are violating the constitution!

HOWEVER, this DOES NOT mean that the national guard can decide to give a million dollars to a church, for example -- no matter how much your wife might want that. The "check my religion at the door" rhetoric is tired. Please let it rest. It doesn't mean anything, and it's certainly not what we're talking about. Your wife can sit at her desk and pray her whole lunch hour if she feels like it. No one cares. The wall of separation between church is state isn't talking about that. No one has ever said it was, or intended for it to.

People are free to CHOOSE to participate in their religion freely. The wall of separation means that may not be FORCED by law to participate in some religion, one which they may or may not believe in or agree with. Therefore you may not FORCE little Johnny to study the bible and say his prayers in school. If he wants to, he is free to do so (and he really is!), but he cannot be FORCED to. That's what it's all about. If you don't believe me, call your local high school and see if they don't have some sort of christian club that meets for prayer before school, or something.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:26 am
@Arterion,
Arterion;27278 wrote:
1) Study shows that Jesus was not born on December 25th, and not even in the winter.

2) Christmas is "Christ's Mass", it is indeed a christian holiday, which is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. It is not and has never been a pagan holiday.

3) The pagan celebrated Yule, or the winter solstice. This is historically celebrated around, guess?, December 25th.

4) Most christmas traditions: The tree, santa, elves, the giving of gifts -- all these things were part of the pagan holiday long before Jesus. If you participate in them, you are, in fact, participating in old pagan tradition.

Quote:
See where i said I celebrate? It is subject to my definition not yours.
Quote:
"Your religious holidays?

You stole them all from the pagans, you know. " Wow, and i thought when you say "all" you ment "all." Sorry my bad.
Quote:
So when would you prefer to celebrate the birth of Christ?
Quote:
So you object to those who use these symbols? What others would you suggest?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:30 am
@Arterion,
Arterion;27279 wrote:
This has got to the the stupidest semantical argument ever made. They're the exact same thing!
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly huh?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:55 am
@Arterion,
Arterion;27281 wrote:
All right, this just requires a little understand of how the American government works.

1) Congress (Legislative branch) makes all the laws. It cannot do anything but make laws.

2) The Executive branch has no powers other than to ENFORCE laws that the legislative branch makes. The powers given to the government by the constitution are very narrow, and that's all the executive branch gets.

3) The Judicial branch can only do two things: a) decide who is actually breaking a law, and b) decide is a law violated the constitution.

So in other words, yes, Congress makes all the laws. Thus, this prohibits ALL the branches of government from respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. Everything the government does starts at congress. So, yes, this does affect the ENTIRE government.

As far as your wife working for a government agency and being christian -- that's dandy! She's within her first amendment rights. In fact, if they said "No christians may work here", they are violating the constitution!

HOWEVER, this DOES NOT mean that the national guard can decide to give a million dollars to a church, for example -- no matter how much your wife might want that. The "check my religion at the door" rhetoric is tired. Please let it rest. It doesn't mean anything, and it's certainly not what we're talking about. Your wife can sit at her desk and pray her whole lunch hour if she feels like it. No one cares. The wall of separation between church is state isn't talking about that. No one has ever said it was, or intended for it to.

People are free to CHOOSE to participate in their religion freely. The wall of separation means that may not be FORCED by law to participate in some religion, one which they may or may not believe in or agree with. Therefore you may not FORCE little Johnny to study the bible and say his prayers in school. If he wants to, he is free to do so (and he really is!), but he cannot be FORCED to. That's what it's all about. If you don't believe me, call your local high school and see if they don't have some sort of christian club that meets for prayer before school, or something.
Quote:
Everything the government does starts at congress.
Nope, starts at the people. Who without there is no government.
Quote:
Thus, this prohibits ALL the branches of government from respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
How is that, we have the uninhibited right of free exercise. You are trying to take this right away, that is unconstitutional? Also where in the Constitution does it say anything abou estabishment of religion? I read it so say no establishment of a state religion. Got a link?
Quote:
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
IMO this point you will never be able to get around.
Quote:
So, yes, this does affect the ENTIRE government.
Quote:
HOWEVER, this DOES NOT mean that the national guard can decide to give a million dollars to a church, for example -- no matter how much your wife might want that. The "check my religion at the door" rhetoric is tired. Please let it rest.
You give it a rest.
In your opinion. Not the 80% of the people of faith that opperate our government.
Quote:
The wall of separation between church is state isn't talking about that.
What is it talking about, and try and stay in context?
Quote:
The wall of separation means that may not be FORCED by law to participate in some religion, one which they may or may not believe in or agree with.
If you really believe this then why do you use separation to drive a wedge between Church and state when by your own words that is not what it is for? You must not believe what you wrote then? Or you do but you would also like to project your own agenda in for good measure?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm
@Arterion,
Arterion;27278 wrote:

Thanks for the reminders. Old hat. Old, really old info. So what? It all comes down to Jesus, in whom I believe. Silly rabbit......don't you know the harder you work to destroy my faith, the stronger you will make my resolve and determination to resist and ultimately defeat you?:beat:
0 Replies