Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:28 pm
Guys, we've been very lenient about the forum recruiting going on (which most forums don't tolerate at all) and let people post the various forum links they had (with one exception where someone started posting it over and over, we removed all but one of the posts), but we are drawing the line with the mass PM spam that some have started and are going to ban the accounts of those who are doing it.

Mass PM spam is not acceptable, we have been very accommodating about the links to various forums. They are here out in the open for any of the members to peruse. Trying to recruit the members to your own forums through PMs is not going to be tolerated. If you receive unsolicited recruiting PMs and wish to complain about them (if you don't then I don't care) please feel free to forward them to us.

When you guys have your site ready, I will post the link myself here on the forum, but the mass PM thing (that is even including some a2k members) is just not cool.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Guys, we've been very lenient about the forum recruiting going on (which most forums don't tolerate at all) and let people post the various forum links they had (with one exception where someone started posting it over and over, we removed all but one of the posts), but we are drawing the line with the mass PM spam that some have started and are going to ban the accounts of those who are doing it.

Mass PM spam is not acceptable, we have been very accommodating about the links to various forums. They are here out in the open for any of the members to peruse. Trying to recruit the members to your own forums through PMs is not going to be tolerated. If you receive unsolicited recruiting PMs and wish to complain about them (if you don't then I don't care) please feel free to forward them to us.

When you guys have your site ready, I will post the link myself here on the forum, but the mass PM thing (that is even including some a2k members) is just not cool.

One person PMd me and said this was going to be a kind of social club. If I wanted to join a social club, I would have joined Facebook. I have no interest in socializing, and particularly on a philosophy forum. And particularly since some proposed members of the new forum have, so far as I can tell, no knowledge or talent for philosophy, and I have no interest is having anything to do with them except when they make a philosophical remark that requires refutation.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:38 pm
@kennethamy,
Well people should be free to make up their own minds about that, I have nothing bad to say about their project. I just don't want the mass PM spam. I'll post the link here myself when they are ready and the underhanded approach (and from the PMs I was sent it is very clear that some of them know it is underhanded) is just not necessary.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Well people should be free to make up their own minds about that, I have nothing bad to say about their project. I just don't want the mass PM spam. I'll post the link here myself when they are ready and the underhanded approach (and from the PMs I was sent it is very clear that some of them know it is underhanded) is just not necessary.

That is why I did not see the point of the new forum in this forum. I am interested in the forum just as a philosophy forum. I have my own friends, thank you. So, if this is going to be an inferior Facebook, I have no interest in it.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:50 pm
@kennethamy,
I'm guessing it will be much like the groups we had on one of the older versions of A2K way back when.

If that is the case, you need not worry that it will attempt to clone Facebook. It will be a much better discussion and debate arena than that.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I'm guessing it will be much like the groups we had on one of the older versions of A2K way back when.

If that is the case, you need not worry that it will attempt to clone Facebook. It will be a much better discussion and debate arena than that.

But how will it be different or better than this forum?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think ken is mixing up two things, one is a forum that some philforum members are going to launch (which I will post when they send me the url) and that they have been spamming through PMs about (please stop already, I'll post the link myself and there's no need for that), the other is the a2k groups which will basically be free hosted forums in a similar layout to vbulletin, phpbb etc where people can run their own forums (separate from a2k) how they want and we'll host and maintain them.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:

But how will it be different or better than this forum? Apparently, one of the moderators of the proposed site is someone who doesn't like philosophy, and spends his time writing science fiction- or something. What would be the advantage of joining anything he is a member of?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:55 pm
@kennethamy,
I can't say because I am not sure that something like the old groups we had is what Robert has planned.

I'd rather not set expectations for something that may be completely different from what we had before.

Best thing is to just settle in here and wait for the arrival of groups. Once here, test them out to see if it fits your needs and if not, just remain active in the larger forum realm.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:57 pm
@kennethamy,
ken, let's also not use this site as a soapbox to bash their project either please.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep, I was right in my hesitation. He is planning something completely different from what we had before; actually not all that different other than it will be a different forum software than this one.

Sounds like A2K will be the host of satellite forums and the only thing they will have in common operationally with the A2K forum will be the host.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I can't say because I am not sure that something like the old groups we had is what Robert has planned.

I'd rather not set expectations for something that may be completely different from what we had before.

Best thing is to just settle in here and wait for the arrival of groups. Once here, test them out to see if it fits your needs and if not, just remain active in the larger forum realm.

If this group continues, as it has been doing, simply to be a philosophy forum, that is what fits my needs. I am not interested in discussing someone's latest foray into science-fiction.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:02 pm
@kennethamy,
It will be whatever they want it to be. If it doesn't fit your needs, you'll probably have the choice of establishing a group forum of your own that will be hosted by A2K, or continuing to interact in the larger A2K realm.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Trying to be clearer:

1) Some of the philforum folk are making another forum (not on a2k, I don't know where yet but will post it for them when they are ready), and some if them have been spamming the PMs (to both a2k members and philforum members) and trying to recruit that way.

2) We will be making a groups feature that will let people, well basically what they are going to do, make their own forum and run it their way. But these are not two and the same (as far as I know they want to make a separate site entirely) and on able2know we will be creating an autonomous philforum usergroup with all of the previous philforum members moderated by them how they see fit.

This is the groups feature we've long talked about (which we want to use for our own moderator forums as well).

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:04 pm
@kennethamy,
I am suprised you got this PM... Must be the mass-spamming. I am sorry you feel no social connection with most of us, but that's social blah, blah... You are right about the content. Maybe you are a better philosopher (who knows) but you do not get your messages across effectively. To me they all sound argumentative and cross with any-one who dares to think differently. Logically I should ignore you, but I do learn from the posts. My curiosity wins... I think we are all right with more platforms so there is a choice to which Forum we can go.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I get it...

I'm not sure if Ken does, or if I'm not understanding whether his questions are about the PM-spammed-forum or the new group forum you introduced several posts ago. I've been responding to him as if he was inquiring about the new group forums you are creating.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
He's criticizing some of the people making the other forum and mixing it up with what I had said about hosted forums here (basically objecting to them being called "groups" because that is like facebook).
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

I am suprised you got this PM... Must be the mass-spamming. I am sorry you feel no social connection with most of us, but that's social blah, blah... You are right about the content. Maybe you are a better philosopher (who knows) but you do not get your messages across effectively. To me they all sound argumentative and cross with any-one who dares to think differently. Logically I should ignore you, but I do learn from the posts. My curiosity wins... I think we are all right with more platforms so there is a choice to which Forum we can go.

Philosophy is all about argument. And if someone writes something I think is mistaken, I usually try to correct him. If he ia confused, I point out his confusion, and hope he will no longer commit the same confusion. I don't think you are clear what philosophy is all about. Philosophy is an academic discipline like chemistry or like history. It is not just free-ranging discussion. It is about philosophical problem and dealing with them. If you don't like that, and you don't want to learn, the best thing is to ignore my posts.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

He's criticizing some of the people making the other forum and mixing it up with what I had said about hosted forums here (basically objecting to them being called "groups" because that is like facebook).

I still don't see the point of the new forum, and since it really doesn't matte whether I join it or not, I won't. That simplifies matters.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 12:01 am
@kennethamy,
I won't ignore your posts. I think it's very un-philosophical to ignore other opinions. I learned a bit about business-ethics, morality of law and formal argumentation... All very interesting.

Philosophy evolved from just formal argumention to a more hermeneutic (original meaning as in messager) approach. Philosophers actually wanted to reach out and explain their ideas to a broader public. You seem to be only interested in "being right" and correcting people. You would make a fine editor, but not a philosophical writer IMO.

But you are right in certain ways. From my point of view however, it's more important to get a moral message across. I think the best philosophical Ideas are very simple at the core. So your arguments may be very valid, but empty at the hart so really most of the time not interesting to me.
0 Replies