See you on the other side.

All my best,
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 03:53 pm
@Wozz,
Hey Wozz great to see you,
just as I am leaving as well,
I will send you a PM when and if I return to let you know where I am.
Take care of yourself,
All my best,
sometime sun.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 03:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Soooo... we don't get to see them, the phil forumers - or can the philforumers who choose to stay with A2K stay as well as their new forum - sheesh - there's some pretty cool folk who have joined - I am ass-uming they can stay on A2K if they so wish, right?

that's quite sad Smile some of the characters were really joining in warming to the community - will be a shame to lose them. I hope they can retain their passwords here and make a choice as whether they wish to stay!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:04 pm
@Izzie,
It just means we are making a group that replicates the old philforum's member roster and letting them run it how they like. It doesn't mean their passwords won't work here or anything, nothing changes here except that a philforum replica is available as a microcosm.
Izzie

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ok, thanku, so they can still jump onboard and join in the threads here... cool... thank u for clarifying.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Will it be invisible to anyone else?
Izzie

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:07 pm
@dlowan,
and will be able to join in on any of the phil forum threads?
djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:08 pm
@Izzie,
yeah, i enjoyed being all philosophical like

i thought, therefore i was

i think Confused
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:09 pm
@dlowan,
Not unless they want it to be (and I don't think they would, I don't think they want a closed society so much as something closer to their previous culture, an open group lets them have that as new joins have to acclimate to their culture as they come in).

But for now please hold the questions about the coming philforum, I am going to build the software, I am not going to run the philosophy forum. I've asked the previous administrator jgweed if he will accept that role and any such decisions will be up to him.

If any of the previous philforum folk are interested in joining the mod team of the coming philforum group please use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:11 pm
@Izzie,
No, none of any of the things you guys are asking about are going to change. It's just the group option we've long discussed. It doesn't change the main forums, it's just an option for people to make their own forums here and run it how they want.

We will be making a philforum one with the previous philforum members and leaders.
dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Fair enough....sounds a good option for them.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:43 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Leviathen249 wrote:

jgweed
william
reconstructo
sometimes sun
salima
theaetetus
twirlip
kennethamy
goshisdead
caroline
fido
videcorspoon

Add some more if you see any please;

xris
mark noble
arjuna
pepijn sweep

EMIL, please.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

A heads-up to the philforum folk, when the groups feature is ready (shortly) we will be creating a philforum group with just the previous philforum members (around 4000 members if I remember correctly). It will be run by previous staff and is aimed at allowing the previous philforum culture.

I have asked John if he is willing to run the philforum group as he did with the previous forum and if he accepts then it will be up to him to put together the moderation team and establish the forum rules and culture.

If you are interested in helping out please let us know. There are some other philosophy forums that will be joining us in the main forums but the philforum-only group will allow the previous forum members to develop a separate culture if they want.

How would the culture be separate? In fact, how would it be a culture except for discussing philosophical problems? And, we do that here.
Sorry, don't get it.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

No, none of any of the things you guys are asking about are going to change. It's just the group option we've long discussed. It doesn't change the main forums, it's just an option for people to make their own forums here and run it how they want.

We will be making a philforum one with the previous philforum members and leaders.

So the new forum (so-called) would simply be a proper subclass of the this forum. Isn't that right? Therefore, when I post on the "new forum", I will be posting on this forum too. Isn't that right? I guess I don't see the point, but never mind me. Just as long as someone who doesn't like philosophy is not in a positions to throw his weight around, it will be fine. Although why such a person would even want to be in a philosophy forum, much less moderate it, is one of those mysteries of life.
sometime sun

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm
@kennethamy,
Read the beginning of this thread,
Emil pops his head to say how he thinks how crap this place is.

All my best,

see you on the other side.

sometime sun
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:19 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Read the beginning of this thread,
Emil pops his head to say how he thinks how crap this place is.

All my best,

see you on the other side.

sometime sun

Yes he did, and at first I agree with him. But he was obviously wrong. And, of course, so was I.
sometime sun

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 05:41 pm
@kennethamy,
Yes I have found a desire for this place also,
it was hard but am now a little lusty of it.

All I need is a home to call my own,
something I take my time in feeling,
and pride in declaring,
Leave the door open,
I am not closed,
I may be back?

Who knows?
I sure don't.

All my best sweet heart.
sometime sun
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 06:30 pm
@G-Thomson,
Course I remember you...you pitied the foo'
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
So the new forum (so-called) would simply be a proper subclass of the this forum. Isn't that right? Therefore, when I post on the "new forum", I will be posting on this forum too. Isn't that right?

No.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

davidm wrote:

I understand some effort is being made to revive the old philosophy forum as opposed to this hideous mess. Can someone apprise me of the facts on this? Thanks. Smile

Could you explain what is a mess about it, and why it is hideous? It appears to be a typical forum, with a few people who appear to know what they are talking about; some who genuine want to learn about philosophy, and who, even if they don't know much, are willing to have a reasonable conversation, and who are willing to listen to argument; and then, of course, there are those who, although quite ignorant of philosophy neither care that they are, nor want to discuss issues reasonably, but who simply want to express their woefully ignorant views without even feeling the need to support them. Of course, there are also a number a people who share all or some of these characteristics in different ways, and to different degrees. The old philosophy forum was no different, but who would even expect it to be? However, this forum has the advantage of not being ruled by moderators who are self-opinionated, and who let their power (to the extent that it is power) go to their heads. It also has the advantage of not having moderators who actually hate philosophy, and are hostile to any who philosophize, and who actually make no bones about saying so. (It is an interesting question in pathology why such persons want to be moderators of a philosophy forum, but I will let that go). But, I have no problem with this philosophy forum, and have yet to see any specific legitimate criticisms of it. You might want to support your criticism. But then again, you might not. In which case I would suppose you would fall into at least one of the categories I listed above.

kenneth, you are so very versatile! i really marvel at your ability to adapt and continue on as before...you have not lost any part of your marvelous self in the transition. i think i am more limited...i am truly not here, and what i was rests in peace at the old forum.

you are correct of course that both forums contain members with a various mix of the attributes and qualities you listed, as does the entire world. i will try and make up a list of criticisms for you personally but i dont expect to be able to support them in any acceptable way for you. maybe it is due to some personality disorder of mine...feel free to take a guess when i send you my essay.
0 Replies