mark noble

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
@sometime sun,
Hi Sun,
The strength of the humour was founded on the derogatoryness (another new word...Like it? may change the "y" for an "I" though, "Derogatoriness"?) of the opening line. It clearly failed.
It was one of those dangling participle thingys (I spotted it in your related post, and couldn't resist).
My humour works better in the real world, it seems.
Anyway, have a flipping marvelous evening, Sun. I'm off to bed now.
Mark...
sometime sun

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
@mark noble,
It seems I try to be funny but don't 'get' funny as often as I should.
This is not a reflection on a failure of yours, the failure is mine.
In the future I will take it in all as best.
Please I don't want anyone to think they cant joke with me,
the reason for the story was to show that although I did not get it I was willing to give you the benefit and 'try' myself to be amusing.
All my best possibles, sometime sun
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:49 pm
Recon, you are too cool.
Peace my friend, and blessed travels.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:21 pm
Just in case anyone is still lost.

Where is everybody? (sad sun)
salima

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:39 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Just in case anyone is still lost.

Where is everybody? (sad sun)

maybe some are silently lurking...maybe some are silently smirking...
maybe some are silently shirking...maybe some are zealously working...
0 Replies

Eudaimon

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:16 am
Hello, guys. Being absent from the forum for nearly 2 months, I found that many things changed (not in better way, at least it seems to me now) Sad .

What happened with our forum?
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:38 am
@Eudaimon,
Hi Eudaimon,
Nice to meet you.
I must've just missed you on phili.
We were absorbed and assimilated by this one A2K, Borg-fashion. But when I started to find my way around, it got better. I prefer this one now. Hope you get to like it and stick around.
See you on the inside, Eudaimon, and have a great day.
Mark...
Bongobong

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 01:21 pm
Is the archive of philosophy forum gone?

To be honest I wasn't an active member but sometimes checked for topics of interest and for me philosophy forum was an archive of ideas, discussions, arguments and counterarguments. Has all this dissappeared or am I not looking hard enough.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 01:34 pm
@Bongobong,
No, it isn't gone. Rather than just shutting down the forum there, all the posts from that forum were moved here so the historical archive of discussions from that forum would not be lost.

Here is a tutorial to help you find your way around .

0 Replies

Bongobong

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 01:41 am
I think that the ask2know network doesn't seem fit for a niche group like philsophyforum.com. It's probably very good in what it does. I'm going to assume this has been written from scratch and it seems perfect for a forum that collects all kinds of topics in one big place.

However, i don't think it seems a good option for a topic oriented group and it will die out eventually. At least it will stop getting new members, because people looking for a philosophy-niche wont be seing it in a2k.

To me the only good option of philosophyforum taking off again is if we could make our own forum withing the a2k network. A forum that has a lot of member-say including a recognizable layout and especially its own subfora. So really a forum on its own but at the same time still being connected with the a2k tags and what not so we can also enjoy the possibilities the overarching a2k network has to offer.

Now it's like we're in one big hall with a cooking stand, a stand with legal advice, a stand about web development and what not. And here we are expected to keep a valid community centered around philosophy. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 01:56 am
@Bongobong,
Bongobong wrote:

I think that the ask2know network doesn't seem fit for a niche group like philsophyforum.com. It's probably very good in what it does. I'm going to assume this has been written from scratch and it seems perfect for a forum that collects all kinds of topics in one big place.

However, i don't think it seems a good option for a topic oriented group and it will die out eventually. At least it will stop getting new members, because people looking for a philosophy-niche wont be seing it in a2k.

To me the only good option of philosophyforum taking off again is if we could make our own forum withing the a2k network. A forum that has a lot of member-say including a recognizable layout and especially its own subfora. So really a forum on its own but at the same time still being connected with the a2k tags and what not so we can also enjoy the possibilities the overarching a2k network has to offer.

Now it's like we're in one big hall with a cooking stand, a stand with legal advice, a stand about web development and what not. And here we are expected to keep a valid community centered around philosophy. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'd search for Robert Gentel, (A2k founder) and have a look at his posts re what is planned...or there is a Philforum Focus Group thread that contains suggestions about what you guys would like and his responses.

As far as I understand, there will soon (not imminently) be the capacity for people to form groups. This would allow you guys to have your own mini-forum if you wish.

Oh, and welcome!!!

Edit:

Here's your focus group:

http://able2know.org/topic/152740-1
0 Replies

Eudaimon

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:57 am
@mark noble,
Hi Mark,
The main problem with this forum is that it is not easy-to-find, which was with the previous one dedicated to philosophy only (this is how I found it and the reason I stayed there). I agree with one of the posters, it would be better if we retain our old name and address. Otherwise, I think it will gradually lose its members and popularity.
I hope that our PM and VM will be returned to us one day.
And one question: who are moderators here.
Paul
Eudaimon

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:44 am
A couple of questions/wishes:
1) is multiquote option impossible?
2) on philforum I received e-mail notifications AS SOON AS new comments were added, but here it seems to be not so....
0 Replies

onanismo1

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:21 pm
Recon here, again. 2 of you so far have emailed me, and this is great. By the way, my name is Scott. The kind words really meant something to me, by the way. Thanks!
I haven't turned anti-internet, and I agree with SS that the forum is/was a good addiction. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a philosophy-specialized forum again. I hear rumors, but you didn't hear that from me. This site seems well made. Ah, forgive me site-makers for being a bit nostalgic for that forum which was my alternate textual reality for 5 months and 5000 posts. They will never accuse me of not being able to type. I find that I'm still addicted to sharing my foolosophical mania, but indeed I am going to take a little break. Still, I am not writing off anyone. I have had great conversations w/ many of you. And let me stress again that I am quite open to email conversations. I suppose I want to experiment with 1-on-1 conversations, at least until a site like the old one materializes. With 1-on-1 conversations, it's quite obviously a relationship between friends. Call me sentimental, but I think a certain affection/respect is necessary for genuine conversation. Otherwise, the dialogue sometimes devolves into a sort of sport, a game-show. And this game-show requires a chump, a victim, a foil. But this "chump" tends to return the same attitude. So you have hate speech masquerading as "intellectual" conversation. I know a guy who hates "philosophers."

Even if we never got around to private messaging on the old Forum, anyone with friendly intentions is more than welcome, and encouraged even, to email me ( [email protected]). My current idea is to check this email address every day or so and type up responses. Because a couple of you already dropped a line, I felt motivated to come back and wave my friendship flag again. I wish you all well and hope to hear from you.
Scott
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:39 pm
@Eudaimon,
Quote:
And one question: who are moderators here.

There are no Moderators here Eudaimon, or rather the forum is self moderated.
How that works:
If you dont like a particular post click the thumbs down. This will remove the post from your view and only yours. once you have done so it is still possible to view that post by clicking the thumbs up.

If you dont like a particular person or poster click on their user name. This will open their profile look for "ignore this user".

Essentially this is what the mods on most forums did for you. They either removed posts or banned users.

The theory is that mods told you what you were allowed to see and what you were not. Here YOU get to decide.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:09 am
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon wrote:
The main problem with this forum is that it is not easy-to-find, which was with the previous one dedicated to philosophy only (this is how I found it and the reason I stayed there).

Google "philosophy forum", a2k is #1.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:10 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
There are no Moderators here Eudaimon, or rather the forum is self moderated.

There actually are a group of moderators here.
Francis

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert bless the loose moderators!
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Eudaimon wrote:
The main problem with this forum is that it is not easy-to-find, which was with the previous one dedicated to philosophy only (this is how I found it and the reason I stayed there).

congratulations
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Eudaimon wrote:

oh look, you've sunk to number two!
http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&source=hp&q=philosophy+forum&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=e83430266f21afc6

number one looks like it might be worth checking ou, a place called philosophyforums.com
0 Replies