What do women look for in men Personality or Looks?

talk72000

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:09 pm
@aidan,
The guy in the right is Rod. See the curve on his nose. His nose is more prominent and his face is more slender than Ronnie. Their resemblence is remarkable.
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
He still looks 1000 times better than me.

I wouldn't know - I've never seen you in a bathing suit. Laughing Laughing

But clint always looks so grouchy. What does he have to be grouchy about?
talk72000

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
@aidan,
That he is growing old.
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:12 pm
@talk72000,
Yeah - Ronnie and Rod are in the middle of the picture. Ronnie is the dark-haired guy on the left and Rod has the dirty blonde hair on the right (facing). Ronnie is holding the glass - as usual- I just looked again - maybe that's not a glass, I don't know what it is- I'm just so used to seeing him with a glass. That is the guy in the speedo (as a young man and as an old man with the towel on his head).

Rod's features are slightly more refined than Ronnie's. Ronnie has a little bit of a witchy look to his face - his nose and chin do it. Rod doesn't- I think it's because his eyes are more widely spaced than Ronnie's.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:14 pm
@talk72000,
I just read an article the other day that said that in general happiness increases with age.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:15 pm
There are two remarks here that I want to challenge . . . that women are looking for men with money and that it is more important for a man to look good now than previously.

Re: the first. My ex was very ambitious. Finally became rich after we divorced. Built a house that the kids can not stand. Money does not mean taste and I prefer a man with taste. Earlier, I said brains were my standard and they are. Money doesn't always mean brains.

When I taught Romeo and Juliet a couple of years back to SPED students, we hit a snag with the word fop. Generally, I go through writings ahead of time and make a glossary, if there isn't one already. The kids wanted to know what a fop was and I started explaining it, then it occurred to me just to say metrosexual. Well, they didn't know that word either.

But there have been fops, dandies and metrosexuals through out history. Watched 12th Night this past weekend and one character in that play was made the object of ridicule after a joke was pulled on him, convincing him to wear yellow, cross-gartered stockings.

But log onto a dating website and take a look at the men and their grooming. Concentrate on men over-50. No wonder these guys are single. They look like they don't care, so why should a woman care about them?
talk72000

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:16 pm
@aidan,
He always squints so it might not mean anything. That is his trademark.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:17 pm
@aidan,
IDK, he just turned 80, still has his 35 year younger hottie wife Dina Ruiz, has money, things to do...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
Seeing Clint Eastwood reminded me of a story that may not be true. Supposedly, Eastwood and Burt Reynolds as young contract players were both fired by the same studio on the same day. Reynolds was told he couldn't act and Eastwood was just told he had an Adam's Apple.

As they walked out together, Reynolds said that he was the luckier of the two. I can learn to act, he said, but what can you do about that Adam's Apple?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:31 pm
If I were to point out a man that everyone knows that I find physically attractive, one example might be Steve Jobs. I had a long time relationship with someone tall and skinny with dark hair and there are two men in the town where I live who upset my equilibrium a bit, and both are rather like Jobs. One is Black and the other white. But they are each at least a decade younger than me and the white man is married.

The type just doesn't make it on everyone's list. One woman describes the white man as "too skinny" while another says his looks are "too hippy." I know his wife likes his looks and she will glare down a woman who glances too longingly at her husband.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:33 pm
@aidan,
Clint squints. Maybe his eyesight is poor. He's always played rather angry characters. My son felt that Gran Torino was somewhat autobiographical. He called it the perfect Eastwood movie: he plays a grouchy old man!
Francis

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:36 pm
@plainoldme,
I'd say it's not easy to live with the Carmelites..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

...I want to challenge . . . that women are looking for men with money ...

True, I'm certainly not looking for men with money (whatever that really means), but I wouldn't even consider dating someone I had to support. No way, no how. It's not about how smart their wealth indicates they are - it's about their work ethics, savings habits, etc. And the fact that they'd be willing to have me support them financially. Really unattractive to me - it's a definite no-go.

And the question in this topic is way too simplistic and limiting. No one has even mentioned guys who are inordinately proud of their extensive baseball cap collection, or someone who has saved their 1970's white suit and 1960s leather fringe jacket (neither of which they can get into), or a man who plays rarely heard 1920s and 1930s blues... why not, I wonder?
failures art

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 05:45 pm
@Mame,
Why wouldn't you date a man you had to support? If you required support, would you be undateable or unworthy of affection? Don't men make this choice frequently (although much less frequent in recent generations)? If men will date women that they have to support, and women won't, then don't you see why the generalization exists?

If you were dating a man and you had a job offer that would require you to move, would you be okay if they moved with you, and you had to support them while they looked for work? What if the move put him in a city where his industry did not exist or he had to return to college for a new degree/certification? Would you support a man under these kinds of circumstances?

I don't think women are gold-diggers, but the societal asymmetry on the issue of income expectations is real.

A
R
T
husker

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 05:48 pm
@Eva,
I love when Eva talks about me
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 05:55 pm
@failures art,
I think mame's sentiment is widespread, which is why I have my doubts about how the recent explosion in stay at home dads will work out for men. From day one my wife and I planned for me to primarily raise the kids because she has no patience for kids, and I never cared about a career, but after doing it for ten years she filed for divorce. She had lost respect for me. It was only a fast manning up on my part that saved the day.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:01 pm
I did support a brilliant guy. On the other hand, some years he supported me, and some he paid his weight. It didn't work out evenly over decades, alas, which partly has to do with my financial predicament now, re various matters. Nothing I want to hash out on a2k, but just a vote for women not always going for the guy with money. Even now I'm not sorry, much as I might now want to crop the number of years retroactively. I always liked brains, with the wit that often comes with brains, if connected to compassion. Looks are good. I've been shallow a few times, even hilariously shallow in retrospect. On the other hand, I've loved a quite short guy/mountaineer and was at least infatuated with a fellow with a wall eye, talk about brilliant. I think looks to me probably have to do with demeanor, not with describable attributes, except the times I was, as they say, like, no.

POM and I have known each other for a long time, and have argued in the past on this, or maybe I just yelled at her. But, we simply vary on the importance to us.

Livability matters too..
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience hawk. Even though it went into rough waters, I think it's great you had that time with your children. Although it almost blew up completely, would you have had it any other way? How else would your career-relationship dynamic have played out do you think?

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:44 pm
@failures art,
I could not have been with my wife had it been any other way, because having kids was important to me and she was not suited to raise them. She is great in a lot of ways, just not that way. Age has however improved her, she will make a good grandmother.

I go back and forth on the career thing, as I am a smart guy and could have accomplished something. I sometimes wish that I had fallen in love with someone who was good mother material. But then I have three kids who are all doing fantastically well, that are all very smart (second graduates next week top in her class of 335 from hs as a for instance), well rounded, never in any serious trouble, nice people. And my wife is a work-a-holic still (and brilliant to boot) so money is not a problem.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:59 pm
@failures art,
I said I wouldn't date a guy I had to support. If I were married to someone, that would be a different story, although I certainly wouldn't like to be the only bread-winner, for sure.

I don't know for sure what it is but I do suspect it's because I respect people who support themselves, as I do. I don't want to be around weak links, horrible as that may sound, and yes, I do feel it's a little unmanly to be dependent upon a woman, in ordinary circumstances. Yeah, I would NOT date a guy who didn't have a job on a regular basis or who couldn't support himself.