What do women look for in men Personality or Looks?

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:29 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
We had a bunch of Seikh engineers that worked for us and the had very tailored nose hairs that were trained to grow among the hairs of their very coiffed moustaches. Lotsa wax and pomade was used "Dapper Dan" I believe.

Oh wow. Tailored, waxed & coiffed nose hairs!
Those guys sound FABULOUS, farmer! Very Happy
roger

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 11:47 pm
@msolga,
They don't get haircuts, and keep it bound up under the turbins. How fabulous is that going to smell.
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:29 am
Personality. I've never been that interested in looks.

At my job right now there are a number of male teachers - one is physically, exactly and strikingly my type - big and rugged- he works on the farms and gardens crew- he seems nice and smart, actually, but he's just such an overwhelming presence.

Then there's this other guy who is small for a man, and even for a woman - he's about 5'5, slim, not handsome at all, his face reminds you of a frog sort of and he wears these giant, thick glasses.

But he is really, really droll. People there always think I'm Canadian, every day ten people will say something like , 'I hear your accent Miss - where're you from - Canada is it?'

Well, now the joke is that I'm a pseudo-Canadian and after the fifteenth person said it the other day, Adrian asked with a small smile, 'Do you ever miss Canada, Rebecca?'

I said, 'Funny thing is, I never do Adrian - in fact no, never, not at all.'

And then he gives this dry little ironic cackle. I'd ten times rather hang out with someone like him than someone who looks good but has no sense of humor or irony.
(I can't comment on his nose hairs - I've never noticed).

And I've always been like that. My first and biggest crush was on Tony Manicone and he was this quiet, wiry little Italian guy with an unfortunately big nose and wild hair - but when he did speak, he was really, really smart and funny.

I found him much more fascinating than the handsome jock guys. And that was when I was twelve.
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:53 am
@aidan,
Coincidentally enough - my sister just sent me this- someone in her office had sent it to her with the heading 'CHEER UP GIRLS!
In other words, best go for personality as even the most handsome men lose their looks eventually: (there are a bunch of others - but this one made me laugh out loud - you gotta love the guy:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2563242789_c4b0cd4580.jpg

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:54 am
I think that as women have become more masculine they care more about looks, but still it is the emotional side that is more important. Men who are smart have an advantage, men who are funny have an advantage, men who overall have an engaging personality have an advantage.....but at the end of the day what is most important is that the guy "gets" women, and in particular the woman that he is with.
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think that as women have become more masculine they care more about looks,

Women have become more masculine? This is something new to me...more masculine in what way - in any factual, measureable way, or did you mean 'more independent' instead of more masculine?

And it seems counter-intuitive to say that as they become more masculine they'd care more about looks. I'd think it'd be the other way around - that if they were more masculine they'd care less about looks.
Why would a more masculine woman be attracted to a pretty boy type?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:25 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

They don't get haircuts, and keep it bound up under the turbins. How fabulous is that going to smell.

They WASH it though, don't they?

As for the nose-hairs in the moustache...that's a deal-breaker.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 05:45 am
There are actually little tubular razors that you simply twist around the nasal and it cuts all the errant hairs. Meijer carries them.

Most men, being the ignorant group they are, wlll have to be told about this, unless they go to a groomer who will tell them. I understand barbers are not allowed to cut nasal or ear hairs.

All this talk turns me off about men, anyway.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think that as women have become more masculine they care more about looks,

What is this meant to mean?

I'd say that I care about the two equally. Looks are important, but it should be noted that I can have a bit odd taste sometimes. I'm certainly not looking for a James Bond lookalike, I just have to like the way they look.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 08:07 am
Yeah, the masculine women will choose a weak man, regardless of his looks.
failures art

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 08:50 am
A woman may want a man who is tall, dark, smart, and funny.

She will on occasion meet men who are either tall and dark but as sharp as a bag of wet bread, or men who are smart and funny but have the sex appeal of a tax audit. In this occasion, I think many women score men on "potential."

A man who is tall and dark has a chance at being smart and funny, whereas the smart and funny guy has less chance of sporadically becoming teller or darker.

Men are no different, it's just that it's normal to view men as shallow. It's so normal, that when women do this, we so often refer to their behavior as being "like a man."

Men are no more shallow than women in terms of physical attraction, and women are no more deep and thoughtful in terms of intellectual attraction.

A
R
T
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:55 am
Ther are 4 things that come to mind:
1) Very attractive physically
2) Very rich - zillionaire
3) Very powerful - top of the food chain e.g. president of something (country or company)
4) Large you know what.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
What is this meant to mean?
it means that metrosexuals are not totally nuts...it is more important to look good than it used to be.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Yeah, the masculine women will choose a weak man, regardless of his looks.

They will also seek one with a vagina.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:23 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Coincidentally enough - my sister just sent me this- someone in her office had sent it to her with the heading 'CHEER UP GIRLS!
In other words, best go for personality as even the most handsome men lose their looks eventually: (there are a bunch of others - but this one made me laugh out loud - you gotta love the guy:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2563242789_c4b0cd4580.jpg

Is that the same guy in both pictures ?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:29 pm
This sounds right, though more study is needed...

Quote:
It ushered in the 1960s sexual revolution and gave women control over their own fertility.
But the Pill may also have changed women's taste in men, according to a study.
Scientists say the hormones in the oral contraceptive suppress a woman's interest in masculine men and make boyish men more attractive. Although the change occurs for just a few days each month, it may have been highly influential since use of the Pill began more than 40 years ago.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1218808/Contraceptive-pill-women-attracted-masculine-men--interested-boyish-looks.html#ixzz0qC24QvVk
Men can do almost nothing and thus look ruggedly handsome and good to a woman who is looking for a man, boys on the other hand need to work at looking boyish, especially as the years set in.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes David - that's the impossibly handsome Pierce Brosnan. I don't mean to be cruel and I shouldn't laugh - but I just love the guy- his lilting Irish accent and look at that expression in the second picture. Let's put it this way - I'd probably hang out with him more as his after self than his before self.
Here's someone you'll recognize: Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood). Again, almost pretty as a young man, and well you be the judge now.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/2563245683_c2e5b724c2.jpg

But this is the funniest one: Ronnie Wood (one of the Rolling Stones if you don't know). Look at that guy now - can you believe some nineteen year old girl was going out with him!!! But I think she gave up on him - they got into a big fight in the middle of the street somewhere. Probably because she didn't want him to go out in public in his speedo- what the heck is he thinking?! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm gonna get struck down for laughing at this - but I love these pictures!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2564071364_3828287263.jpg
talk72000

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:55 pm
@aidan,
I think the lower left photo show Rod Stewart with Britt Ekland.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:57 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Yes David - that's the impossibly handsome Pierce Brosnan. I don't mean to be cruel and I shouldn't laugh - but I just love the guy- his lilting Irish accent and look at that expression in the second picture. Let's put it this way - I'd probably hang out with him more as his after self than his before self.
Here's someone you'll recognize: Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood). Again, almost pretty as a young man, and well you be the judge now.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/2563245683_c2e5b724c2.jpg
He still looks 1000 times better than me.
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:06 pm
@talk72000,
No, that's Ronnie Wood - he and Rod Stewart could almost be brothers facially - but Rod has always had blondish hair. Here's a picture of them when they were in the Small Faces together - you can see the difference when you see them side by side.http://static.rateyourmusic.com/lk/f/a/65f9451f3db670dedb9505e5012ea703/1020661.jpeg

I think Britt must have gone out with both of them though (at different times) because that's definitely her.