Da Bunny's visiting New York.

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 08:41 pm
Arriving round 2nd or 3rd October 2010.

I have discussed with a few folk, but now I am having to finalise stuff, and I need to decide how long to stay there.

I have been there before and got major tourist stuff out of the way...though art stuff and such is still essential.

I gather a few of you would like to meet me (yipppeeeee!), from PMing.

Because my access to A2k is so unpredictable at present, I decided I couldn't do this via PM, because I never know when I will be able to get on.

Thing is, I am wondering if people wanted to do just a dinner sort of thing, or whether some of you might like to do stuff at different times over different days...or whether some might be able to get to Noo Yawk at different times.

My maximum stay is a week, if I can get affordable accommodation...at present it's looking like the mid-town Y!)

Or I could just stay about 3 days, if not many of you can make it in the window available, or you all just can only bear the thought of one large (or teeny if none of you want to meet me!) meet-up.

I'd love to do some different stuff with folk, but I am in your hands.

I have to finalise my itinerary and pay within five days...that makes it, I guess, Thursday US time.

It'd be fabulous if some non Noo Yawk folk might be able to make it!!!!

Over to you guys!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 37 • Views: 69,844 • Replies: 1,116

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:07 pm
@dlowan,
Ha ha, Diane and I stayed there. I basically liked it, and it was terrifically convenient to all I wanted to see re museums, etc., but there were a couple of hilarious episodes re my room. Diane of course had a fine room. I was there from Tuesday afternoon and left Monday morning (I think, I'll have to check my thread on it.) All too short. Among my regrets, not meeting Joe Nation and the Kick. (Wrings own neck..)

Anyway, I'm wildly envious, but you plain old deserve this trip.

Here's that thread -
http://able2know.org/topic/37775-1
Don't let my Y story dissuade you, I'd stay there again happily. I loved its location and the price and the memories.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Beth will be along.. she has a place she likes..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:19 pm
@ossobuco,
We stayed at the Mid Town Y last time we were in NY. Only for one of the nights....and I agree, it's fine.

But I'd like something a tad more comfortable.

I'm looking up the guides.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:46 pm
@dlowan,
Time Out NY's guide to some choice hotels and accommodations:
http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/visitors-guide/70466/where-to-stay
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've just booked at the West Side Y!!!

Makes it all seem real!

Even that's too expensive for me....but with a quick look at the budget guides it looked the best.

But I am looking at your guide.

We mainly stayed in an apartment on West 11th Street last time....and adored the Village. Made us feel at home.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:09 pm
All right!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:11 pm
I vote you stay for a week and let us congregate on the city over a weekend sometime.
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:24 pm
@littlek,
One country heard from!

What day of the week is 1st October?

(I MIGHT arrive as early as that...it's depending on when my travelling companion wants to leave London. She's not coming to NY with me, but it makes sense in a variety of ways to leave the UK on the same day.)

I'll need a day to myself to recover and get oriented.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:34 pm
@dlowan,
This is the place ehBeth likes - quoting from another thread:
Joe - call the SIHNYC - Seafarers International Hostel. Union Square and Broadway. 11th and Irving, I believe. Close to the Metro and buses. Seriously affordable. Close to, well, just everything.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:44 pm
Sorry I can't help at all with accommodations. I don't stay in hotels in NYC. Will see you fer sure, whether you like it or not. Don't worry. I won't be a stalker.

We'll get together somehow, somewhere, and I will bring the 100+ year old photo with me.

Not good at schlepping around, but if you want to go to the Frick, I could probably manage.

I gonna see da bunny--and da bunny is gonna see me.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:57 pm
@Roberta,
I am going crazy looking at apartment based accommodation!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 12:17 am
Bookmarking, Deb. And following your progress.
Where else, apart from NYC?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:15 am
I might journey up from DC on the Chinatown bus for a meet-up.

A
R
T
dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:33 am
@failures art,
That'd be COOL!!!

I COULD make it that I fly out on the 11th.

I am just waiting desperately to hear from the Noo Yawkers, and Soz and Beth (who might be able to make it.)

I wonder if folk like Boomer might just be able to come for a couple of days?
dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:56 am
@dlowan,
My friends have expressed willingness to care for Miranda in their home while I am away.

That's over $500 worth of kindness.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 06:48 am
@dlowan,

oct 1st is a friday...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:09 am
@dlowan,
Hello hello!

At this point I very much want to go but am not yet sure how feasible it is. Plane fares are reasonable and we may have accommodation (that's one of the things that need to be figured out). Sozlet really wants to get to NYC (and really wants to see the people we may be staying with) so I'd bring her. I wouldn't want her to miss much school so we'd probably be looking at Friday October 1st (afternoon/evening) until Sunday October 3rd (possibly Monday October 4th).

I'd be most interested in small/ medium meet-ups I think, though I'd love to see everyone. Groups over three (two plus me) or so aren't really doable for me, communication-wise, unless I know the people really well in the face-to-face sense (though knowing senses of humor and interests does help!) I tried having an interpreter for the Madison meet-up and that just didn't really work. Better for conveying information than chatty sorts of things.

If there is some major meet-up I may stop by or something just to say hello and hug folk, but not stick around for the whole thing.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:57 am
We'll see about making it. Smile
dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:53 am
@jespah,
S9o far it's looking like the short stay is the go.

0 Replies