Da Bunny's visiting New York.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:07 am
The Tranna gals are trying to sort things out. Still a lot of variables.

Right now it looks like we could do Thursday Oct 7 through Monday October 11th. I'm trying to get it bumped up a week, but we're stuck on a scheduling hurdle. We are planning to stay at the SIHNYC. Clean, affordable and great re transit access if you're not a walker walker walker. I did find quite a good place through Craigslist on one trip, but it was a crahpload of work sifting through the listings to find it.
dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:11 am
@ehBeth,
That makes it the longer stay!!!

Any chance of you goils knowing soon?

I have to finalize and pay really soon.

I have found somewhere cheaper than a single at the Y.
boomerang

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:16 am
Oh my gosh! How exciting.

I don't know how I could possibly make it to New York. Where will you be flying through? Do you have a west coast stop-over?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:17 am
@dlowan,
I had hoped to know this past Friday, but bureaucracy at three different companies ... not fast at any one of them.

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:20 am
@boomerang,
Sadly, no.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:23 am
@ehBeth,
I know it's tough!!!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:46 am
@dlowan,
Are you considering hostels? I never stayed in one so I can't vouch for any. Looked up a few last night just to see their respective rates and locations.

I'm not sure what areas in NYC you would be comfortable or what constitutes comfort for you as you stated you wanted something more comfortable then the midtown Y.

I was thinking you spread your search away from the middle of Manhattan where the majority of tourists head straight for and headed straight for exploitation (price and comfort wise when one considers bargain options in the city). But then again I could be dealing with a bad case of wishful thinking.
dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:47 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm looking apartment share/B&Bs at present.

Gets it down below $100 US a night.

Really liked the Village last time, so I am kind of looking there.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:52 am
@tsarstepan,
I once had stayed in the Harlem Y before but that is such a bare bones location I bet the Midtown Y makes it look like an austere Klingon monastery.

The first and only hotel I have ever stayed at in New York City was quite reasonable at the time I went. It was the Franklin Hotel in the Upper East Side on E87th and Lexington. Small and charming. Now it's insanely expensive. Something like $460 a night but golly gee you can get the the 3rd night free!
Shocked
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:58 am
@dlowan,
Can you try Pricelining one of the hotels in Long Island City?
www.priceline.com

I saved a lot of money when I traveled to Pittsburgh during Christmas time. Name your price. All they can do is reject your offer.
http://www.priceline.com/
Lowball your offer.

I got into a 3 star hotel for $50's a night. The rooms normally go for 2 and a half that much.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:21 am
Look here are some good deals for vacation rentals
http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/Manhattan-New-York.html
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:26 am
@CalamityJane,
I'd be careful regarding these apartment/condo rentals. Many of them are illegal. I wouldn't want to get caught in a law enforcement sting/raid:
http://www.nysun.com/new-york/crackdown-sought-on-illegal-hotels-in-the-city/79075/
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, vacationrentals.com is a legitimate site. I have used them myself.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 11:33 am
Doing a little poking around for you Deb. I know people who live in the village. Maybe they know somebody who knows somebody.

I'll let you know.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 11:41 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Doing a little poking around for you Deb. I know people who live in the village. Maybe they know somebody who knows somebody.

I'll let you know.

It sounds like you're setting our beloved wabbit up to end up at ground zero of a new classic urban legend waiting to happen. Razz Wink
Roberta

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 11:46 am
@tsarstepan,
I ain't setting up nobody for nuttin'. And if ANYBODY messes with that wabbit, they're gonna have to get past me!!!

Old? Yes. Weak? Not so much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Shewolf really liked her hostel... was it a year ago?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:28 pm
@dlowan,
That sounds good, Deb, would be where I'd look now, much as I revere the Y for hilariousness.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Heh, did you read my link?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've never done priceline, chickenshit that I am. Good idea??