New York New York!

jcboy

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:06 pm
Kudos to NY! . They realize that it's not about just voting the party line, it's about voting for what's right.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 53 • Views: 50,259 • Replies: 497
Topic Closed

tsarstepan

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:13 pm
@jcboy,
Did they actually vote for gay marriage yet? I'm getting a mixed message with the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/nyregion/new-york-state-senate-to-vote-on-same-sex-marriage.html?hp
and the live (?) video at http://www.nysenate.gov/event/2011/jun/24/senate-session.
jcboy

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
They sure did! Hopefully, other states will realize gay marriage hurts nobody. Look at Massachusetts. They have had it since 2004. Have you heard of their society falling apart? Of course not. I think with NY, then CA, it will rapidly spread across the country. You can't stop this train!
tsarstepan

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:19 pm
@jcboy,
I hope that the US Congress addresses this issue soon and just makes the whole state by state journey moot by making same sex marriage a national law.
tsarstepan

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
The tally:
Ayes 33, nays 29.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:30 pm
@jcboy,
Just in, done at a 33 for, 29 against.
0 Replies

jcboy

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:34 pm
And some people think I'm gay because I want gay marriage legalized, that just shows how closed minded people are. Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
There were two votes. The first one was the religious protections amendment which passed 36-26 followed by the same sex marriage act which passed 33-29.

Great news!
msolga

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:36 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Great news!

It is indeed.
How very enlightened!
0 Replies

jcboy

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:54 pm
And if I'm correct New York has no residency requirement for obtaining a marriage license. So anyone can just go there and get married.
JPB

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:57 pm
@jcboy,
You are correct. Whether one's home state will recognize a same sex marriage from out of state is another matter.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 09:35 pm

When I studied the Domestic Relations Law of NY,
I thought it was a damned INDIGNITY
for a government to give permission
to citizens to marry.

The citizens created the damned government, their child.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 09:37 pm
Congratulations.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:51 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

And if I'm correct New York has no residency requirement for obtaining a marriage license. So anyone can just go there and get married.

It's the same rule they have for being a senator.
0 Replies

failures art

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 11:31 pm
Also, in NYC, it's pride weekend. Wow! What timing. Glitter in the streets--for real.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 11:46 pm

The governor already signed the statute.
Thay can do it fast, when thay wanna.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 24 Jun, 2011 11:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I hope that the US Congress addresses this issue soon and just makes the whole state by state journey moot
by making same sex marriage a national law.
WHAT is the jurisdictional predicate ???

Please explain?
farmerman

Sat 25 Jun, 2011 04:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Dont you think any issue of human relationships to each other that is presently descriminated against based on religious definitions is a civil rights issue?

LAws of Joint Tenancy with rights of survivorship are decreed as valid for many classes of human relationships EXCEPT for gay partners. Whyzat? I submit that its because of religious mind control over the body politic. Id think that, as a liberatrian, you would be for full suffrage and recognition of partnerships with all rights and benefits therein accrued.
Right now the governments of the several states have decreed the marital state and the ranges of benefits that can be enjoyed and NOT ENJOYED. Thats total religious -state bullshit in my eyes.

s
OmSigDAVID

Sat 25 Jun, 2011 04:59 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Dont you think any issue of human relationships to each other that is presently descriminated against based on religious definitions is a civil rights issue?

LAws of Joint Tenancy with rights of survivorship are decreed as valid for many classes of human relationships EXCEPT for gay partners. Whyzat? I submit that its because of religious mind control over the body politic. Id think that, as a liberatrian, you would be for full suffrage and recognition of partnerships with all rights and benefits therein accrued.
Right now the governments of the several states have decreed the marital state and the ranges of benefits that can be enjoyed and NOT ENJOYED. Thats total religious -state bullshit in my eyes.

s
I don't see it as an issue of liberty,
in that thay r free to associate as much as thay want to;
that is not obstructed by law. To MY mind, it is not a religious issue.
For sure MY mind is not under the control of any religion.
I have never had much interest in this issue; neutral.
( I feel safe from marriage, as long as I don 't actually DO it. )

I see it as a matter of technical LEGAL definition, not religious,
tho some folks see it in religious terms.
jcboy

Sat 25 Jun, 2011 05:44 am
@failures art,
Today is also Pride here in St. Pete, heading down to watch the parade in a few.