Da Bunny's visiting New York.

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know from this deli...but what I gather is it's tiny and there'd not be bookings possible?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe, I may never go to the 2nd St Deli, but some of the reviews were almost as good as the food---------------------------.

FIRST=====================
New York, NY
11/30/2009 33rd and 3rd aka Toity-toid an' toid.
This is the home of Jewish Soul Food.
This is the pastrami samich to end all pastrami samiches.
This is the jump-off, the bee's knees, the bomb-dot-com, the shizzle-mah-nizzle, THE HOLY GRAIL OF PASTRAMI.

(JIZZ)

Yes, it's so sweet that they give you those delish gribbenes that remind you so much of buttery pork rinds (but of course; they're chicken), the slightly bland coleslaw and that mix of dill and new pickles when you sit down in one of the cozy booths.
But what you're really there for is the MEAT ORGASM. The corned beef falls apart in your mouth, and the pastrami is perfectly marbled and moist yet quite lean, so there are no icky hunks of fat or gristle to eschew. The spices on the hot pastrami are bold and that mustard...OH THAT MUSTARD!!! I want to slather this on everything I eat from now on.

(IN)

The matzo soup is rich with illness-curing shmaltz-y goodness, with a real chicken flavor all up in the broth, just like (someone else's) grandma used to make - jewish penicillin indeed.
An order of the potato latkes gets you 3 HUGE crispily fried pancakes with a side of spiced applesauce that you'll want to sprinkle with a bit of salt, then split with another person (unless you're a glutton, to which I wish you luck with your impending coronary.) One of these days, I'm going to order the "Instant Heart Attack", which is a fistful of pastrami housed between two of these latkes. And then I will go immediately into hibernation like the bear that I am.

(MY)

And who could resist the chocolate egg-cream shot when paying your decently priced bill? It's the perfectly sweet ending to a savory meal for this shiska.

(PANTS)

Bonus points for being kosher, albeit NOT shomer Shabbos (so you Orthodox ones might wanna look elsewhere.)

(!!!)

Read between the lines, and you'll see how good 2nd Avenue Deli is. Now I'll go home and change...

Listed in: Samiches, Keepin' it Kosher

SECOND===================
7/3/2010 HOLY JEWISH DELI BATMAN!

The pastrami here........ meat candy. Don't waste your energy chewing it. It MELTS on your tongue. Seriously. MELTS.

The potato pancakes.....more like potato stealth bombers...... the things are enormous! Crispy, delicious.

The pickles..... don't even get me STARTED.

I also saw go by what was quite possibly the BIGGEST turkey sandwich I'd ever seen. Then I saw a woman eat it in one sitting. And that was my dinnertime entertainment.

The chocolate egg creams they give you at the end are cute.

Prices are kinda steep, but I think it's worth it.

Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:25 pm
I'm the first back. I left early. Got tired and got work to do.

Lunch. I had a samwich I made up. Corned beef and salami on a roll with cole slaw on it. Shared a knish with tsar.

Da people? Thrilled. It's a rare day indeed when I can get with a group that size and not find someone to dislike. Hey, I'm in a weakened condition.

From the deli, we went to the Frying Pan, a boat floating on the Hudson River. Far west. Most folks walked. Thomas and Deb took a cab with me.

Still a lot of walking. I rested. I got to the jernt. I loved it.

Attendees:

Deb, Thomas, Joe Nation, littlek, jespah, region, tsarstepan, Frank Apisa, kickycan, omsigdavid, and me. Hope I didn't leave anyone out.

I had a wonderful time and a wonderful day. Sad part: saying good-bye to da Bunny.

Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:27 pm
@Diane,
Diane, Not egg creams at the end. Egg creams have milk in them. This is a kosher jernt. Those little drinks were chocolate sodas.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:52 pm
@Roberta,
Wonderful.

And now I'm very hungry, just reading about it. (thanks for the reviews, Diane..)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:54 pm
There must be some pictures.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:56 pm
Oh, Good. David made it.

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Will wait patiently for pics. Someone DID have a working camera there, right?
Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 04:29 pm
@squinney,
Yes, there were cameras. Not much in use. But pictures were taken. I ducked down out of sight.
Izzie

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 04:37 pm
@Roberta,
Very Happy

making memories - lovin' that for y'all
x
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:39 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Yes, there were cameras. Not much in use. But pictures were taken. I ducked down out of sight.

Pictures? I HOPE I ducked!!!!!!

Lovely day.....I ordered a huge chicken soup which was great but I talked too much to eat much of

I have NEVER seen so much meat

Got to really TALK to people at the frying pan which was wonderful....but not enough, of course. I hope little k didn't have to wait too long for the bus

Just got home from dinner with Thomas and tsar

Exhausted
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:57 pm
I'm back! I had a blast and am really glad I made it down there. It was fabulous to meet all you people I hadn't met before. It was also great to see people I'd not seen for some time.

The deli was fun and the Frying Pan was a little slice of heaven.

Everyone besides Roberta and Thomas (and David, who I didn't get to speak to) walked me to the Port Authority bus terminal. Joe(the mensch)nation was kind enough to walk me actually INTO the bus station. He made some excuse. But, it was nice to have a quiet chat with him.

Unfortunately I was directed to the wrong gate by someone in a uniform. I waited an hour for the wrong bus. Fortunately when I got to the correct gate the bus was there, ready go to and had space for me. I had two whole seats to myself was able to do some sleeping.

I'll post some pics of a non-human items (like all that meat Deb speaks of). If you don't want your picture up, send me a PM.

Thank you everyone!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:05 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Thay were?????
I 'd have brought some kind of shield.

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:21 pm
@littlek,
Oh! We could have had an hour more of Joe....mind you I bet it was nice fir Joe to have some quiet time with you
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:26 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I'm back! I had a blast and am really glad I made it down there. It was fabulous to meet all you people I hadn't met before. It was also great to see people I'd not seen for some time.

The deli was fun and the Frying Pan was a little slice of heaven.

Everyone besides Roberta and Thomas (and David, who I didn't get to speak to) walked me to the Port Authority bus terminal. Joe(the mensch)nation was kind enough to walk me actually INTO the bus station. He made some excuse. But, it was nice to have a quiet chat with him.

Unfortunately I was directed to the wrong gate by someone in a uniform. I waited an hour for the wrong bus. Fortunately when I got to the correct gate the bus was there, ready go to and had space for me. I had two whole seats to myself was able to do some sleeping.

I'll post some pics of a non-human items (like all that meat Deb speaks of). If you don't want your picture up, send me a PM.

Thank you everyone!
Yeah, I 'm sorry that we did not get to converse, K, being on opposite ends of the table.
I was lucky to hear even half of what was said on my end.
I DID hear a lot of background noise (conversations).
I have some personal hearing problems, since 1988, when I
used a poorly pressurized little commuter plane in Alabama.
Blood fell from my left ear; not been the same since.
There might be future meetings in a quieter place.
When I choose a place for my dining group, sufficient silence
to permit social conversation among my group is among my criteria
of selection. In any case: we can talk all we want in the forum.

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:32 pm
@Roberta,
How are you feeling?

Hope we didn't wear you out!
dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:33 pm
@Roberta,
Cool!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:38 pm
David - you, Frank and I all have left ear hearing trouble!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:41 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
David - you, Frank and I all have left ear hearing trouble!
Its a plague!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:43 pm
The meat - sammie was at least 3 inches tall. I think there were three types of meat.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs790.snc4/67023_10150097445639972_743754971_7463140_5027670_n.jpg

OMFG - Oh My Frank God.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs769.snc4/66958_10150097445704972_743754971_7463141_3342559_n.jpg

The Pan
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs758.snc4/65808_10150097445834972_743754971_7463144_2622386_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs762.snc4/66247_10150097446114972_743754971_7463149_4896551_n.jpg

NYT
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs265.snc4/39568_10150097446344972_743754971_7463151_2163046_n.jpg

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:47 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:
Oh, Good. David made it.

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Will wait patiently for pics. Someone DID have a working camera there, right?
Thank u, Squinney; I look forward to the day when u & Bear can attend another meeting.
I 'm sorry that u were unable to make this one.
I hope that u r feeling well: cured.
I was in some discomfort from (non-severe) back pain.
0 Replies