Is the Confederate Flag a symbol of racism?

electronicmail

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Especially in matters of war and peace. That was what Gunga's thread is about. You'll be interested in it as well I think http://able2know.org/topic/153502-1#post-4188129
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:20 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:
I wasn't born then, so my sense of the phrase was "slow down" Very Happy
Yeah; maybe it evolved.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:24 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:
On point 2, same post

Not without value, necessarily, just not applicable pursuant to the subsequent clarification.
Mind, it's his phrase, not mine, so he may disagree with my reading of it.
I see; thank u.

If I have not already said so,
Please accept my warmest WELCOME to the forum!
Until the advent of your arrival,
I had not realized how stale we had become.

Its very good to have fresh blood.

I also recognize intelligence in the PhiloForum members!
THAT is very welcome.

I 've enjoyed your posts.
I hope to enjoy many more of them.

David
electronicmail

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 11:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not a member of the Philosophy Forum, I'm just somebody utterly disgusted with the PC slippery slope afflicting the nation. Aided and abetted by teamObama, other leftists, just plain thieves, other assorted supporters of massive breach of applicable law, trashers of the Constitution, and so it goes. I've noticed that their main line of attack is zeroing threads and posts. When confronted directly they either disappear or become considerably more amenable to reasonable discourse. I'm also glad to meet you since you seem to have noticed same and taken similar action.

Good luck to you. And all those here with similar views. And even to all those here with differing views, as long as they're honest about them and willing to post to support them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:12 pm
@electronicmail,

U arrived at the same time, so I thawt u were all together.

I am an Orthodox Constitutional Literalist,
in furtherance of the Founders' libertarian revolution against authoritarianism.

I have energetically opposed PC.
I used to be a spy for the US HUAC against the commies.

I support laissez faire capitalism, libertarianism, Individualism, fonetic spelling n hedonism
as set forth in my A2K profile.

David
0 Replies

RAMACE787

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 05:05 pm
as someone born and raised in the south who judges by your actions and not by the color of your skin i support the confederate flag and believe that now more than ever she flys beside ole blue. for those who want to pick and nag just remember that we have both north and south fighting side by side across seas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 05:09 pm
Uh huh . . . who's been picking and nagging with you?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 12:32 pm
@Setanta,
eBay has banned all auctions and sales of the Confederate flag
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/23/8833733/ebay-bans-confederate-flag
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 12:22 pm
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10985860_10153284259707415_5090768595885291828_n.jpg?oh=813fcbab76ca67b88c295946704031c6&oe=55EFF3C8
0 Replies

Boisterous

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 10:55 pm
@Linkat,
Generally, it was a rebel symbol...right along with state's rights and free speech.
There is always someone who gets offended.
Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 02:44 am
@Boisterous,
Welcome to Fantasy Land . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 09:20 am
I wonder what will happen to Jeb Stuart and the Haunted Tank?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 10:17 am
Forbidding a flag is unamerican and a bad idea. This effort to remove the confederate flag from the marketplace will likely radicalize the South, which is not in anyone best interests.

The thought police are really on a roll now. God help us.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 10:38 am
@hawkeye10,
It is nice to see quite a few on the left today uncomfortable with this effort to ban a flag. We might yet see the left splinter over these continued heavy efforts to control communications and personal expression.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 10:46 am
Where all bigoted symbols should go to die!
http://i57.tinypic.com/2u5dkba.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 10:57 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Where all bigoted symbols should go to die!

Right on, because you have the right to make sure that your environment is free from the voicing of ideas that you dont approve of Drunk

Dictators have gotten very good at this, and we will too.
Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 01:45 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm sure you wouldn't know this, but Stuart's name was James Ewell Brown Stuart, and in his lifetime, nobody, but nobody called him "Jeb." We reserve that for the third member of the Bush "The man who would be King" dynasty.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 01:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
I will not prevent you from flying the Confederate flag over your home or business. IMO, it is protected political speech.

However, no one is required to manufacture Confederate flags.
No one is required to sell Confederate flags.
Confederate flags should not be flown over government buildings.
Nobody is required to do business with someone who chooses to fly a Confederate flag.
I am allowed to make fun of, deride, and humiliate anyone choosing to fly a Confederate flag, and make them feel like the horrible people they are.

Deal?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 03:17 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Nobody is required to do business with someone who chooses to fly a Confederate flag.

I have a problem with this one.

Well... you could choose to not go to a store that chooses to fly a Confederate flag. But, I don't think a business can lawfully refuse to do business with someone who flies a Confederate flag.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 03:53 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

I have a problem with this one.

Well... you could choose to not go to a store that chooses to fly a Confederate flag. But, I don't think a business can lawfully refuse to do business with someone who flies a Confederate flag.

Wrong, once any symbol is classed as hate speech business no longer have to deal with them, which is were we are almost.