Is the Confederate Flag a symbol of racism?

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 08:58 pm
Okra. Now there is a truly disgusting slimy southern vegetable/
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 10:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
I will give you okra. It is one of those things yu have to wonder about what were they thinking when someone first ate one.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 10:42 pm
@farmerman,
My texan business partner could cook okra well. She said, and I believed her.

One thing I run into with other people is that many can't stand bitter.

Bitter is a subject well considered, so I don't have much to say. I've a friend who hates chard. People vary, possibly genetically.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 02:09 am
Okra has to be rolled in corn meal and fried to a crisp before I'll even look at it. And chit'lins. That's another one, farmerman, that makes you wonder just how hungry somebody had to be to think that one up.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 06:53 am
I always considered okra the most vile stuff anybody put in a bowl or on a plate. One day I ate at a relative's house. I had never eaten food cooked by his wife. So when I fixed my plate, I put less than a quarter teaspoon of okra on my dish. In the end, I had a clean plate with the okra to the side. I had to force myself to put it in my mouth. Yucko. Fortunately, I had a tall glass of ice tea to wash away the taste.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 09:46 am
@edgarblythe,
sweet tea no doubt. The onlyyest way to eat okry is in a shrimp gumbo. The snot creates a sludgy soup that isnt slimy, just thick. (But I think the saasafrs thickens it too)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:06 am
@farmerman,
I have to backtrack, a little. When I worked in Slidel, LA, I was served a seafood gumbo that had okra in it. But it was so good I had to order more.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:11 am
@edgarblythe,
even liver can taste good if its made into liverwurst
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 12:58 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
And chit'lins. That's another one, farmerman, that makes you wonder just how hungry somebody had to be to think that one up.

Probably pretty hungry, I am pretty sure (without googling it) it came from the slave days.

I like Okra, it taste really good in veggie soup. You just can't overcook veggies or almost all of them end up slimy.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 02:12 pm
@revelette2,
chitterlings are an English name for kutteln, a german dish Im famiar with. It was either pickled or cooked an served with Rot kohl

maybe slaves messed around with it cause it was cheap stuff
coldjoint

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 03:51 pm
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
I looked it up. Perhaps the original name came from there, however, it turns out it is all over the world in one form or another. In the US today is it soul food but back in the days of slavery, you are right, the slave owners gave the slaves all the leftovers after all the good stuff was taken.

Quote:
In the United States, chitterlings are part of the African American and Southern culinary tradition commonly called "soul food."

Chitterlings are carefully cleaned and rinsed several times before they are boiled or stewed for several hours. A common practice is to place a halved onion in the pot to mitigate what many regard as a very unpleasant odor that can be particularly strong when the chitterlings begin to cook. Chitterlings sometimes are battered and fried after the stewing process and commonly are served with apple cider vinegar and hot sauce as condiments.

In colonial times, hogs were slaughtered in December. When slavery was practiced in America, slave owners commonly fed their slaves as cheaply as possible. At hog butchering time, the best cuts of meat were kept for the enslavers and the remainder, such as fatback, snouts, ears, neck bones, feet, and intestines, were given to the enslaved people.[10]

In 2003, the Smithsonian Institution's Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture accepted the papers of Shauna Anderson and her business, The Chitlin Market, as part of its emerging collection of materials about African American celebrations, foods and foodways.[11]

In 1991, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble released a song, "Chitlins Con Carne", a cover of a song by Kenny Burrell, on The Sky Is Crying.

source
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 05:29 pm
@revelette2,
Pssst, pinky is back. He served his minimum time nd has a restraining order that keeps him 100 yards from any kids , so O giess hes good to go with his horsehit agaim.

As far as chitlins being sould food. That is true but they are not EXCLUSIVELY sould food. The PA Germans had dishes with kutteln.
FBM

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 07:36 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Probably pretty hungry, I am pretty sure (without googling it) it came from the slave days.

Ah. There are a handful of ways that Koreans prepare intestines, but none of them compare to the disgustingness of chit'lins. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/puke.gif

Quote:
I like Okra, it taste really good in veggie soup. You just can't overcook veggies or almost all of them end up slimy.

I'd concede the point with veggie soup. Just put enough other stuff in there that you don't get the full-on okra snot effect.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 07:52 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Pssst, pinky is back

Don't you forget it. I won't have time for you. Everyone knows how I feel about you windbags.

Run with that.

Quote:
a restraining order that keeps him 100 yards from any kids

Do the great minds here have anything better to do than make up rumors about posters that disagree with them, or that have their number? No, they don't.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 08:27 pm
@farmerman,
must be from Southern Germany

<shudder>

coldjoint

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 08:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
must be from Southern Germany

I don't think that there is enough coattails to cling to, but go for it.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:37 pm
@FBM,
Back when, they used every part of the animal for food. Just shows you what starvation will do for one,
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:42 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
great minds here
Rolling Eyes I'm still waiting to chat with one...most are belligerent fools here to show off and find acceptance they cant get with real people .
Ionus

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:53 pm
Anyway, the flag has been taken down . Children can sleep safe tonight, and the lamb can lie down with the lion . Everything is going to be much better now .
0 Replies