Useless Theories

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:25 pm
@spendius,
I have a theory about those same people. They avoid traffic lights by zipping through urban neighborhoods (like mine). They feel they have to prove that this is faster than waiting for the light, so they jump into traffic without stopping properly and without much regard to oncoming traffic. Me, I prefer the light.
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Yep!

Though, I'm not all that happy, really, about the fate of meek & all .... Wink

You wanna hear my rant on the tyranny of the goddam meek?
littlek

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm
@dlowan,
yes
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:31 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

yes

It'll have to be after work then. It' long and VERY passionate.

I hate the meek.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:31 pm
@dlowan,
two yesses.

a wabbit want would be wather entewtaining wight about now...
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Come the revolution, I'm putting the meek up against the wall and shooting them.
littlek

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:34 pm
@dlowan,
<snort>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:39 pm
@littlek,
The general theory is that if the lights are timed for 30 mph, they are also timed for 60 mph.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:40 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Come the revolution, I'm putting the meek up against the wall and shooting them.

Wadda pussy, or wadda wabbitt ...

Can't you think of something more heinous?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:42 pm
@roger,
Depends where you are. That works for long stretches like you have in NM. But, my FRAKING neighborhood just made all the lights with no right turn on red and a required crosswalk between light changes even if no pedestrian has pushed the cross button.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 12:29 am
@littlek,
Grrrrr. Required crosswalk with no pedestrians is as bad as the protected right turn arrow when nobody is turning.

The 60mph theory doesn't work, in case you were planning to try it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 12:53 am
Therory.

The faster you drive the less time you are in one place, therefore reducing the chance of road accidents.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:18 am
@dadpad,
And on a washboard dirt road, the faster you go, the smoother the ride. You're not in contact with the road long enough to feel the bumps.

This one works, but for a different reason.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
Here's a useless theory about conferences: When an A2K member attends one, the number of posts he writes in any given 15 minutes is inversely proportional to the quality of the talk given at this time..
roger

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:13 pm
@Thomas,
Bet I could guess who is in a tedious conference about now.
Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:25 pm
@roger,
You're a good theorist, Roger!
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
Pegion Hole revised:- When there are m males and n young females in a pub andf if n < m then after a couple of months the chances are that there exists one out of n females wondering who "really" got her pregnent that night.
Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:21 pm
@vinsan,
Hmmmm… now I'm super-motivated to conduct field research in pubs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:50 pm
Unexamined brainwave while reading the NYT Sunday mag story on homosexuality in animals: "Homosexuality is an adaptation to monogamy."

Unexamined so I need to come back to it. But I was thinking of that monogamous guy gull who spread out his genes to a lesbian gull (who was in her own monogamous relationship) while maintaining his own monogamous relationship too. Lesbian gulls: monogamous. Hetero gulls: also monogamous. All the heavy lifting of a monogamous relationship + child-rearing: done by the monogamous pair(s). But lesbian gulls want babies too, so a little boinkety boink outside of the pair relationship and guy gull gets to have babies by two different females.

It'd be only one of a few... "causes"? "reasons"?, including trust/bonding and the uncle effect.

The article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magazine/04animals-t.html
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:55 am
This is a true story from the academic world. A graduate student in psychology was working part time as a teaching assisstant. He administered a test to a class and gave out pencils to each student. After the test, most of the male students returned the pencils. Many female students did not return pencils. The graduate student wrote a paper using this incident as support of Freud's theory of penis envy.