Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 05:31 am
@Miss L Toad,
Then why did you bother to post?
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:26 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

all theories, are useful to a point. and then they are useless.

At what point might electrical theory become useless?
Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:48 pm
@Setanta,
I reject this theory of Farmerman's. Too useful.
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Too useful.

A cogent objection, in the context of this thread.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:18 pm
@wayne,
we havent found it yet.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:15 am
This is not a theory; it's a request for a theory of how dreams interact with the sleeper's environment.

In this night's pretty-vivid dream, I found myself at a high school reunion. What brought me there was an unexpected, even implausible turn of events that I don't remember any details about. At the reunion, some of the attendants were smoking pot. In the middle of mingling, I woke up---the pot smell was still there in my bedroom. But I now noticed it wasn't pot smell, it was skunk smell. I immediately closed the windows because it was intense. The stink must have been lingering for quite a while.

The dream itself isn't remarkable. What's remarkable is what this says about the part of the brain that produces the world of our dreams.
  • It pays attention to the sense organs sending information to it.
  • It produces the most plausible interpretation of the sense data, given the setting within the dream. (There are no skunks at a high shool reunion, so it must be pot.)
  • It probably re-routes the dream's storyline, throwing sleepers into settings where their sense data has a plausible interpretation, and obscuring any inconsistencies in the way it got them there.

Is there a literature on how this stuff works? Do our brains' world simulators play similar tricks on us while we're awake? I need a theory here!
0 Replies