Useless Theories

spendius

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:53 am
@wandeljw,
He was obviously a male chauvinist pig wande. Only a male chauvinist pig could imagine that ladies would have penis envy. A Lady would laugh at such a silly idea.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 01:16 pm
@wandeljw,
I'm sure he only went with penis envy after considering that college age females might, when compared to college age males, be more frugal. Another theory possibly rejected would be based on the belief college age males have that, if they are not carrying a pencil, no one can force them to write an essay.

Others:
More males are allergic to carbon than females.

Girls thought yellow pencil color would help on "Bring something not read to English class on Wednesday"

Wandeljw failed to mention threats made by teaching assistant to all the males outside of class if they didn't return pencils. Keep shouting "Don't cross me. I've got something to prove!!"

Joe(Males returned only those pencils they had throughly chewed)Nation

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:26 pm
This one came up on the hike yesterday. We were in a remote part of the Fells and we lost the trail, We headed back in the right general direction and found our way back to the right trail. The problem was a lack of trail markers. We were amused (some of us) because this is so typical of the road signs in the Boston area. We're infamous for bad signage. The theory is this: we are more likely to be thinkers, or at least more resourceful, because of the bad signage. We have to figure the directions out on our own.
Thomas

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 05:17 pm
@littlek,
Maybe it's a homeland security measure? If Al Quaeda wants to blow up MIT, they won't be able to find it---because Boston signeage will route them to Caltech instead.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:40 am
I have a theory about the architecture of spaceships: Science Fiction movies get it all wrong! The way they usually show the inside of spaceships, they appear to be modeled after the insides of terrestrian ships. Everywhere, you see massive steel beams and bulkheads that supposedly prevent the ship from collapsing under its own weight, and from imploding under some unspecified source of outside pressure.

But there is no outside pressure in space! There is no weight either, because there's no gravity. Movie spaceships have their design exactly backwards. Real spaceships would be pressurized air bubbles encased in steel, flying around in a vacuum. Structural breaches will make them explode, rather than implode like Earth ships and submarines would.

With that in mind, here are two major points about how I think a statically realistic spaceship design would look like.
  • there should be no supporting walls in the inside of a spaceship; there's nothing to support its structure against. Any walls inside a spaceship would be for privacy, compartmentalization, etc., and would likely be made of cheap, ticky-tacky material like drywall.
  • No beams. Beams only serve to stem off non-existent outside pressure. Instead, we should be seeing thousands of suspension cords inside a ship, pulling its structure together and preventing that their air pressure blow its outer hull into the void.
That's very different from what we're actually seeing. Indeed, is there any science fiction movie that pays attention to realistic spaceship statics? I can't think of any.
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:06 am
@Thomas,
I think the subject is "Useless Theories" Thomas.

I have a theory that if we applied the methods of pigeon racers to get male pigeons to fly fast to the workforce we could get increased efficiency.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:16 pm
@littlek,
You should get one of those handbooks on the brain by Time magazine or by psychologist or psychiatrist about the workings of the brain with the fundamentals of neuroscience. The subsconscious area of the brain keeps on working on theories even though youtook a break. Many of the Eureka moments did arrive in a moment of rest e.g. when Isaac Newton was resting under an apple tree and an apple fell on his head and when Archimedes was taking a bath he has the Eureka moment about hydrostatic law of floatation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes
Quote:
While taking a bath, he noticed that the level of the water in the tub rose as he got in, and realized that this effect could be used to determine the volume of the crown. For practical purposes water is incompressible,[14] so the submerged crown would displace an amount of water equal to its own volume. By dividing the weight of the crown by the volume of water displaced, the density of the crown could be obtained. This density would be lower than that of gold if cheaper and less dense metals had been added. Archimedes then took to the streets naked, so excited by his discovery that he had forgotten to dress, crying "Eureka!" (Greek: "εὕρηκα!," meaning "I have found it!"). The test was conducted successfully, proving that silver had indeed been mixed in.[15]
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:53 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

So, lots of cultures and populations say that you should not go to sleep with your hair wet or else you'll get sick. I can think of only 1 real reason why this should be so. If you are a habitual go-to-bed-wet-header your pillow will be repeatedly dampened. In damp conditions, it may become mildewy/moldy and cause sinus issues.

It can be explained and is probably true. About 40% of the body heat is lost thru the head and maybe the hair having a large surface area contributes to it. This extreme heat transfer probably would lead to a cold or maybe some headache in the morning especially with a fan blowing if in summer.
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:20 pm
@talk72000,
So if you see a bald chap who hasn't got a cold or a headache where has his heat gone? Are you suggesing he's been Onaning or warming the teapot with his hands.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:07 pm
@spendius,
No, the heat evaporates then, spendius. Had he hair, his head would remain
damp from the heat and wetness, I guess. Now that was useless, wasn't it?
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:04 am
@CalamityJane,
It was sexy though Cal.
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:17 am
@spendius,
Why is that 01.04 am post not appearing on New Posts?
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:20 am
@spendius,
Nor are my recent posts on the Oil spill, atheism and free will threads.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:14 am
@spendius,
You're probably thumbing down your own posts Wink
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:43 am
@CalamityJane,
They deserve it don't they. I don't really try hard enough. I know. I often use a word which I know I could find a better one instead of but can't be bothered looking around for it or don't wish to because looking around for it would interrupt the flow of my thoughts which might lead me to arrive at an opposite conclusion to the one I had originally set out to do.

I might want the name of a Goddess to exemplify some feminine trait I happen to be giving my undivided attention to. Looking through the Thesaurus gives a few names but they are too crude as everybody knows the main characteristic they are associated with and they have become stereotypes. If I'm nuancing, as one has to do with real life women, one needs then go and check the likely candidates out in Lempriere's Classical Dictionary which might be anywhere in the pile of junk I'm surrounded with.

A search for it means I'm trying a bit. It depends how long it lasts. It has been found under a recliner as a result of a dusting operation. But with "some ancient old bat" being a stand-in it's tempting to get on with saying what I was trying to say before I interrupted myself.

One wouldn't wish to use the name of a renowned feltility Goddess to exemplify someone who put weedkiller on the dandelions which are wonderful flowers because you can place them near a lady's skin and make it glow like soft gold. And they are tough little cookies too. They don't need any pampering. And when they are ready to hand over their sugarstealers to the vagaries of the wind they form a stunning array of something or other which I feel a bit foolish giving a name to but when a young lady gives one a good blow and giggles you know you have come to the right place.

And it can happen that even getting as far as consulting Lempriere one might be distracted by another entry and become embroiled in a more interesting subject, like the Tantalus entry, or something on TV catches the eye. By this time the thread has gone all to pot and the post I had in mind is lost on the breeze like the dandelion seeds.

Spengler's the worst. I can go to look something up in that, which is never lost, and finish up reading the damn thing for the rest of the day.

So I do tend to be a bit slipshod and thus deserve being thumbed down. But only after the effort has been experienced. Thumbing down without trying to appreciate the thing is bloody bigotry caused by a lack of artistic taste which the thumbing down hides from view.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:39 pm
Useless theory: Spendi isn't really here to discuss useless theories.
littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:43 pm
@talk72000,
Talk - why does heat loss equate to headache or sickness? That's the part I don't get. If the body is compromised by extreme loss of heat, I can see the body's defenses being less effective at warding off sickness. I can't see how heat loss can cause sickness (death by hypothermia aside). But, in more mild range of heat loss (as would happen inside a person's home), nope, I can't see that lowering body defenses such that one becomes more susceptible to illnesses.
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:46 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Useless theory: Spendi isn't really here to discuss useless theories.

I was trying to impress Cal. That's pretty useless.
littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:00 pm
@spendius,
Well, that's an ok recovery.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:03 pm
@littlek,
I think it is mostly a women thing as they have long hair. I noticed that I don't dry my short hair after a shower. My body heat evaporated the moisture. There could be a mild headache not a throbbing one especially if there is a fan running. The energy required to evaporate one pound of water is roughly 1,000 BTU or something. If you are lying down your body is not generating any heat. The sleep cycle is also lowering functions of the body. Only your breathing and is keeping you on. I could be wrong as I am theorizing. Try it especially if you have long hair and sleep with wet hair.