Amanda Knox

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:12 am
I have some bias but not an actual opinion, which is appropriate, given my distance from the scene. I don't trust Knox and I don't trust the prosecutor, for varied reasons, but of course, I don't know them.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/AmandaKnox/amanda-knoxs-family-judge-eye/story?id=9255726
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 153,427 • Replies: 2,042
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:33 am
@ossobuco,
I simply don't know on this one. The histrionics of the press of all sorts haven't helped.
0 Replies

Ionus

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:12 am
When do trial records in Italy enter the public domain ? Is there a cooling off period ? Because the only way to determine it accurately is to see the evidence the jury saw...
ossobuco

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:22 am
@Ionus,
I've no idea. I chatter often about italy but don't know much past the surface - well, some. Fbaezer and Francis and Raphillon (when he posts, which is not often) know more.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 07:58 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I have some bias but not an actual opinion, which is appropriate, given my distance from the scene. I don't trust Knox and I don't trust the prosecutor, for varied reasons, but of course, I don't know them.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/AmandaKnox/amanda-knoxs-family-judge-eye/story?id=9255726

I was interested in this case about a year ago, osso.

These are my impressions. Three people were accused of the murder. One was convicted in a separate trial in December 2008. The trial of Knox and Sollecito began in January 2009. The official autopsy indicated that multiple attackers were involved in the murder. Independent autopsies disputed this conclusion.

I would like to believe that Knox and Sollecito are innocent. Amanda Knox was in her first semester at the Italian university. She had been roomates with
the victim for only about 2 months. Knox and Sollecito had only been dating for about 2 weeks (hardly enough time for a couple to start engaging in kinky sex.)
sozobe

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:08 am
@wandeljw,
I think they could've been engaging in kinky sex, but I don't think she was a major player here. Not 26-years-in-prison worth anyway. Just my impression. Dunno if she was completely not there at all, or just was a passive bystander as things went down. But I don't think she did anything meaningful here.
edgarblythe

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:14 am
I am reading along, but have no opinion thus far.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:23 am
There have been many discussions on the internet about this case, but I doubt that anyone will ever have access to the same evidence presented to the jury.

I still would prefer to think Knox and her boyfriend are innocent. Neither of them had any criminal record. The third person that was accused (and convicted in December 2008) did have a criminal record.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:33 am
I find this case very sad too. Such a young and aspiring woman should not
spend 26 years in jail for something that is not clearly proven. From articles
I have read so far, it seems there wasn't enough evidence to convict Amanda.
Character assassination and being a foreigner were a major factor in this trial.

THe European press said that Amanda's DNA found on a knife that supposedly was used as murder weapon, was a different knife and according to forensic
experts did not match the wounds inflicted on the victim.

I hope that the appeal will bring a better result to all involved.
sozobe

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 10:42 am
@CalamityJane,
Plus it was apparently a kitchen knife, in her own apartment. Even if her DNA was on it (and it was on the handle), it seems like that could be from using as a regular kitchen knife (chopping onions say) rather than as part of the crime.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

She is clearly innocent. The entirety of the prosecution's case consisted of calling her an unhygienic slut in the media and making sure the jury was exposed to the slander.
ossobuco

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@oralloy,
That's not that clear to me, oralloy - I've read about this at length from the beginning. I don't trust anyone on verity in this and, yes, have read a lot of questionable stuff about the prosecutor and the police as well as all the stuff about Knox and associates. Somewhere I read that Guede avering to be on the toilet while it happened sounded the truest thing.

I will agree that she hasn't been proven guilty to me (and not the judges).
Robert Gentel

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:19 pm
Despite the evidence being largely circumstantial it leads me to believe she's at least not entirely innocent.

She first claimed not to have been there, then claimed to have been there and heard the screams, and then implicated an innocent man who spent weeks in jail being investigated. Not exactly an angel IMO.
ossobuco

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not to mention cartwheels, largely excused as her being from the west coast of the US and stiff/athletic/needing to move).

(also, there apparently were - or may have been - two knives - I lost that train of investigation)

I don't know. I see that we have some italians, after centuries of great-tour folk, not liking this one bit, especially those in Perugia (which I've been to, no wise words) and americans wild about the apparent abomination of all italian justice, partly true (but look at ours) and partly not, as a generality. Some folks there are pretty brave. Ah, but is that relevant to this case, mmmm? Seems a mess.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Despite the evidence being largely circumstantial it leads me to believe she's at least not entirely innocent.

She first claimed not to have been there, then claimed to have been there and heard the screams, and then implicated an innocent man who spent weeks in jail being investigated. Not exactly an angel IMO.

Given the fact that her changing story and the implication of the innocent man were both the result of the police hitting her until she said what they wanted her to say, I think it is rather a stretch to blame her for either.
ossobuco

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:43 pm
@oralloy,
Oh, were they?
oralloy

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
In Italian courtrooms, defendants are allowed to make statements during their trial, and Knox stood today to refute the police depiction that they treated her well and that her statements were made voluntarily.

In a respectful but insistent tone, Knox said in clear Italian, "The witnesses are denying things about the interrogation. There were hours and hours that they don't talk about, during which I confirmed my story and there was an aggressive insistence on the text message to Patrick," she said.

Knox's defense has implied that the police badgered her to implicate Lumumba and that she finally gave in.

Knox has claimed in the past that she was treated roughly that night, saying the police rejected her explanations and accused her of lying.

And she added, "I am sorry, but I really was cuffed on the head."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=7077850&page=2
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=7077850&page=3

Quote:
As for the interrogation she confirmed she was hit by a policewoman on the back of her head every time she wouldn't give the right answer and that the same woman called her a dirty bitch.

http://perugia-shock.blogspot.com/2009/03/amanda-knox-finally-admits.html

Quote:
when Lumumba's airtight alibi got him released from jail, after a couple of weeks, Knox wrote ecstatically about it in her prison journal ("Patrick got out today! Finally! Something is going right!") and later wrote of her remorse at ever having implicated him, saying it was under extreme duress and a result of police "brainwashing."

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1904571,00.html
ossobuco

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:13 pm
@oralloy,
I was not there. I don't trust Knox, as I said, and I don't trust the prosecutors or police. Or Sollecito, or Guede, or Lamumba, though him I am inclined to trust most. There was some unexplained dna..
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:13 pm
@oralloy,
For whatever reason, the ABC News links I just gave are going to page one of the article, instead of pages 2 & 3 where I quoted from.
ossobuco

Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:29 pm
@oralloy,
I'm not running to a recent tv news summary.
I simply don't know yet, and don't trust just about anything.
0 Replies